You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Why don't Manual Seconds work like AA Priority sector?

29 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

I'm sure there is a reason. Might not be a good one,  but just because I target a ship on ONE side of me why do all of the gunners on the OTHER side go to sleep??

They don't have to buff like the side using MS's but really..  For a 4 point skill they just go silent?

I'm sure the answer is because WG likes it that way. I know this probably has been brought up before but I couldn't find it, that said. It's kind of lame.

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,593 posts
1 minute ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Because you can't make orange juice out of apples?

You can if you are a really good chemist.

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts
Just now, Gunga_Dinner said:

SO Priority sector AA and having the same for Seconds is as complex a comparison to you as apples and oranges?

Seems pretty basic and simple... to me.

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

Wow guys never mind. You all must be tired or something.  Simple straight forward question and this is all I can get tonight.  Sleep well

3 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

1 minute ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

A brick because motorcycles don't have doors?

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,804 battles
8 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I'm sure there is a reason. Might not be a good one,  but just because I target a ship on ONE side of me why do all of the gunners on the OTHER side go to sleep??

They don't have to buff like the side using MS's but really..  For a 4 point skill they just go silent?

I'm sure the answer is because WG likes it that way. I know this probably has been brought up before but I couldn't find it, that said. It's kind of lame.

secondaries may be firing for 5 minutes at a time so it doesnt really seem necessary to have to keep spamming one side to make them more efficient but at the same time having accurate secondaries firing out of both sides could be seen as very strong, but i am a fan of secondary builds on battleships so im all for this, if smolensk and cv are in current state i see no issue for manual secondaries to be firing on multiple targets at once.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles

You have it backwards, the question should be why doesn’t priority sector work like manual secondaries? Because with manual secondaries you have to give something up to gain the buff, priority sector just doesn’t do anything. And let’s be honest, click to select makes WAY more sense.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,804 battles
Just now, AJTP89 said:

You have it backwards, the question should be why doesn’t priority sector work like manual secondaries? Because with manual secondaries you have to give something up to gain the buff, priority sector just doesn’t do anything. And let’s be honest, click to select makes WAY more sense.

old manual AA was so easy and effective just click and forget, a much better concept then what we have now

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,593 posts
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Priority Sector

One of the tradeoffs you have for selecting manual secondaries, with their much better dispersion, is that you can only target one ship at a time and only fire your secondaries from one side of the ship at a time.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
4 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

old manual AA was so easy and effective just click and forget, a much better concept then what we have now

Its that way not. You click and firget its very brain dead.

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,804 battles
Just now, jags_domain said:

Its that way not. You click and firget its very brain dead.

because the current priority sector is any different?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,593 posts
1 minute ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

I think that you might have the potential to down more planes if you wait and select priority sector on the opposite side of the ship after the planes have passed. I know that I've been able to dodge flak coming in for an attack relatively easily only to have my remaining squadron destroyed just as soon as they passed over to the other side of the ship. I wonder if this is designed as a way to provide for a strategic versus tactical approach to AA?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles
4 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

Amen to that. Whether or not CVs improved can be debated. AA however went from working fine to working not at all. Bringing back old AA would be a big step in helping the current CV problem.

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,804 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I think that you might have the potential to down more planes if you wait and select priority sector on the opposite side of the ship after the planes have passed. I know that I've been able to dodge flak coming in for an attack relatively easily only to have my remaining squadron destroyed just as soon as they passed over to the other side of the ship. I wonder if this is designed as a way to provide for a strategic versus tactical approach to AA?

either way its not effective at all, you are better to not set sectors because of the planes just leaving your reinforced sector as they remove half your hp, AA is just a visual effect in current state.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
3 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

because the current priority sector is any different?

You really dont want to try and shoot at every ship at once.  AA is mindless. It just works, it can be AFK and it still works.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,593 posts
2 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

either way its not effective at all, you are better to not set sectors because of the planes just leaving your reinforced sector as they remove half your hp, AA is just a visual effect in current state.

Setting priority sectors seems to work well with my Massachusetts. I can actually tell a difference if I set it or don't set it.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles

That is the price you pay for the rather extreme increase in secondary accuracy you get with the skill.

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,791 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

Maybe they never considered doing it that way, Nasty.  You have to remember that developers aren't all-knowing.  Sometimes, interesting ideas don't sprout up immediately, but instead take someone who's thinking outside the box to suggest.

An AA-like sector reinforcement for secondaries is an interesting idea that I've never thought of.  And quite possibly it's never occurred to the WoWS devs either.  That said, from a game play perspective, what's more valuable, the big accuracy boost you get from manual secondaries vs a single, manually selected target or perhaps a considerably lesser buff that you might get from sector reinforced secondaries?  Obviously, it's impossible to properly answer that without knowing just what the true benefit of sector reinforced secondaries might be.  It's still an interesting idea though.

Members
2,773 posts
36,481 battles
58 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Actually there's a trick to that. Most CV players just feint a move to you and force you to activate, then attack accordingly during cool down part. The activate to other side would work normallyz but all a player has to do is hit brake and hard turn inside the bubble. So long as they stayed inside 4 km, they were only subjected to the DPM part of AA and not flak. This was extensively done recently and often hurts targets. WG extended the DB arm time to some DBs z but that just prevented slingshot. It's not going to stop a good flyer from loitering around the inside perimeter of the AA bubble. And they can get two hits in.

Members
2,773 posts
36,481 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Maybe they never considered doing it that way, Nasty.  You have to remember that developers aren't all-knowing.  Sometimes, interesting ideas don't sprout up immediately, but instead take someone who's thinking outside the box to suggest.

An AA-like sector reinforcement for secondaries is an interesting idea that I've never thought of.  And quite possibly it's never occurred to the WoWS devs either.  That said, from a game play perspective, what's more valuable, the big accuracy boost you get from manual secondaries vs a single, manually selected target or perhaps a considerably lesser buff that you might get from sector reinforced secondaries?  Obviously, it's impossible to properly answer that without knowing just what the true benefit of sector reinforced secondaries might be.  It's still an interesting idea though.

Some ships don't need manual secondaries if the number of guns is very high or the fire rate is. Throw in adrenaline rush and those guns fire like crazy from both sides. Even a DD dodging is going to get hit a lot.

[USCC2]
Members
6,050 posts
13 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Many state it's the price you pay - but I don't agree. You have already paid the price - the 4 points.

I don't 'pay' for SI and because I get an extra consumable, I have something else not work (of course there are some skills that have a 'balance' approach like torp acceleration). But overall, skills are meant to be a bonus to what you know.

In the case of secondaries, you already know how to fire secondaries all around, it is automatic in game. The 4 points should be to enable you to concentrate the guns on one side at a single target. So strictly speaking this should mean: Secondaries automatically work as normal both sides. With 4 points spent, you can concentrate the guns on each side to aim for a single target on a particular side.

So, aim at one target one side, then the other side works as normal. Or aim at targets on both sides, that is what you spent the 4 points for.

Of course if your maneuvering means the target you highlight goes out of the arc of the secondary guns on that side, they will fall silent until the player turns off the skill (going back to the automatic secondaries), or you choose another target.

My thoughts :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

I brought this exact same thing up in WOWs dev Q&A with some possible fixes.   1) Have secondaries attack from both sides of the ship with Manual secondaries.  If you do select a target with manual secondaries, the dispersion decreases significantly.   That is all.   Also an audible tone or UI image that pops up notifying you that a ship has entered secondary range and you can select it with your mouse.  The reason is that currently, manual secondaries could be seen as a nerf to the player because if you forget to select target for the secondaries, that is potential damage you could be doing and your missing out on it.   On discord, a bunch of people liked my idea and hopefully the devs will provide feedback on it

• Cool 1

[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,863 battles
7 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

They don't go to sleep. They run to the other side of the ship to help make the accuracy on that side so much better. Every book on naval warfare says that's how it was done in that era, right?

Members
463 posts
4,361 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

That is the price you pay for the rather extreme increase in secondary accuracy you get with the skill.

the price is spending 4 captain points into a weapon that is situational at best, by that logic fire prevention and concealment that are  far more usefull should have a significant drawback.

Secondary builds are fun to play but they are far from being competitive so any buff is welcome

They don't go to sleep. They run to the other side of the ship to help make the accuracy on that side so much better. Every book on naval warfare says that's how it was done in that era, right?

yes they go running to the other side to tell the gunners how to aim :Smile_teethhappy: 

image.gif

Edited by pepe_trueno