You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Why do I get 10x more citadel hits with cruisers than BBs?

21 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,779 battles

Had a game in my Pensacola, firing AP, finished with 50k damage 1 kill and 7 citadels from 52 hits. Next game I took the same tier New Mexico out also firing AP, finished with 64k damage from 32 hits, zero citadels. I know its just RNG and cruisers hit a lot more with better accuracy but any cruiser I use, Des Moines, Pepsi, Baltimore ect they all seem 10x more efficient at hitting ships citadels than my BBs. A good BB game for me might be 1 or 2 cit hits... 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
3,027 posts
5,943 battles

Reload, cruiser dispersion and the fact the cruisers pay less attention to other cruisers broadside wise.  That'd be my guess.  Though I sure don't get as many as I used to.

edit: also that sweet sweet US super heavy AP where relevant

Edited by CommodoreKang
  • Cool 1

Members
468 posts
4,399 battles
5 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Had a game in my Pensacola, firing AP, finished with 50k damage 1 kill and 7 citadels from 52 hits. Next game I took the same tier New Mexico out also firing AP, finished with 64k damage from 32 hits, zero citadels. I know its just RNG and cruisers hit a lot more with better accuracy but any cruiser I use, Des Moines, Pepsi, Baltimore ect they all seem 10x more efficient at hitting ships citadels than my BBs. A good BB game for me might be 1 or 2 cit hits... 

Becouse overpen mechanics magic

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
3,027 posts
5,943 battles
4 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

Becouse overpen mechanics magic

That happens to cruisers too.  I'm sure it's much less than with BBs but with some of the squishier new things like Smols and so forth it happens enough to be a lil irritating for sure.  I still shoot the AP though.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,599 posts
8,582 battles

Fewer overpens, better dispersion, faster rate of fire.

Plus ships survive citadels from cruisers as compared to BBs, so you can citadel them again.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,430 posts
14,165 battles

BB's get more bounces on BB's and more overpens on cruisers where cruisers are less likely to get overpens on other cruisers but also less likely to bounce on cruisers.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles

Are you guys telling me that humongous 356mm, 406mm, 419mm, 429mm, 430mm, 457mm, 460mm shells designed to penetrate through heavy armor of other very large, very bulky Battleships, and fuse within said Battleship targets, that these same shells go in one side of a small, poorly armored ship with less armor, less bulk, and right outside the other?

Nicolas Cage: "You don't say!" - Imgur

• Funny 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
30 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Are you guys telling me that humongous 356mm, 406mm, 419mm, 429mm, 430mm, 457mm, 460mm shells designed to penetrate through heavy armor of other very large, very bulky Battleships, and fuse within said Battleship targets, that these same shells go in one side of a small, poorly armored ship with less armor, less bulk, and right outside the other?

Preeeetty much. If you want citadels your best bet is to take a heavy or large cruiser and paddle anyone stupid enough to show broadside. Srsly, two games in a row with my Henri I pulled off salvos with seven citadels out of nine hits, and one shot with my Y turret was three-for-three. Cruisers are the way to go for citadels.

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles
11 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Cruisers are the way to go for citadels.

One of my last Randoms in Cleveland before the split was the best game I think I ever had in a cruiser for single salvo citadels; 9 or 10 I think? Absolutely smashed a Nurnburg, though a secondary shot finished it off.

Members
1,493 posts
10,847 battles

those cruisers you listed have american heavy ap shells with better penetration angles, so you are much more consistent with getting citadels.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
3 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Because Pency is the best ship t for t. 10 guns of freedom smashes everything it sees.

I get more cits as well. It could be because you fire more or your much closer.

Members
6,858 posts
15,350 battles

If I want to finish a citadel mission, I typically take out a destroyer. Sneak up on an unsuspecting cruiser and whale away at him from close range

Members
2,912 posts
36,702 battles
30 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

If I want to finish a citadel mission, I typically take out a destroyer. Sneak up on an unsuspecting cruiser and whale away at him from close range

I landed 6 citadels on a Smolensk with a DD full broadside. IJN variety. But you can also do that with a Harugumo too only it's more comical when you hit the Smolensk. Because you can switch to AP and blast his guns and torps off. Then he is helpless as you use AP on his side. Citadels galore.

[WORX]
Members
10,659 posts
18,555 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

User error, aiming.... Any other guy will have different results, I, would've had a different result...

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,779 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Because Pency is the best ship t for t. 10 guns of freedom smashes everything it sees.

I get more cits as well. It could be because you fire more or your much closer.

It's guns are good (and slow as [edited]) but a enemy BB only needs to look at it and she will explode..

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,825 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

It's guns are good (and slow as [edited]) but a enemy BB only needs to look at it and she will explode..

Nevermind the fact that Pensacola is entirely coated in 25mm armour and that half (if not more)T6 BB have gun caliber smaller than 380mm.

Nevermind the fact that Pensacola is most likely the most tanky T6 CA out there.

And there's a reason why CA gets more citadel than BB: the accuracy+reload+damage/shell.

It's easy earn a lot of citadel ribbons when your AP shell deals roughly 5k damage, your accuracy is good and your reload is fairly fast 

VS

Slow reload, good accuracy but RNG can screw up with you and very high damage per shell

Where as something with 5k AP shell would need 10 citadel to remove a 50k cruiser, a Yamato with 14.8k damage/shell would only need 4 (well 3 and a few pen would do the job if we wants to be accurate)

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

After it sent to t6 the turrets got wiked slow.  Its got the new bow and that will help.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,890 posts
17,938 battles

When shooting at a target in a position (range/orientation) that can be cit'd, then the number of cits is all about rate of fire.  That's it!  More (appropriate) shells properly aimed on a cit vulnerable target equals more cits.

A BB has a much slower rate of fire than a CA.  Hence, a much lower chance of cits based solely on that rate of fire.   

There is also simply the dynamics of CA play vs BB play.  CAs, properly played are going to be using terrain and cover, and get in close enough to whack other CAs.  BBs are often exchanging attrition shots at other BBs.  They will whack a CA when presented with one, but good CA captains don't give BBs easy cits.

I run AP a lot on my two mainly played British heavy cruisers..Exeter and Devonshire.  I get lots of juicy cit shots on other cruisers playing these ships aggressively than I ever get in my BBs, even when I play the BB aggressively. 

But sometimes, you find yourself in a situation where only a BB can get the job done.  And when you get cit after cit after cit.  Well, that's the finest the game has to offer...

[ARGSY]
Members
20,132 posts
14,323 battles

1) Rate of fire. Cruisers let you take a second or third shot in the time it takes a battleship even to reload, so you are putting more shells downrange and getting a higher probability of a citadel hit.

2) Survivability of citadels from cruisers; an enemy ship can survive your first couple of cits to let you get another one in. 

1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Its got the new bow and that will help.

Small sample size, but I'm finding it helps a lot. Not exactly an invulnerable bow tanking monster, but significantly more durable than before and much more fun to play aggressively in co-op. At close range you can multi-citadel same-tier bot battleships (no human player would ever allow that unless you catch them reloading or on the disengaged side, so do be careful). It's not the super-heavy shell that her higher-tier compadres get, but it does the job well enough.

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
511 posts
2,570 battles

Screw citadels, just get a detonation when they're at max HP. :cap_like:

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles
13 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Nevermind the fact that Pensacola is entirely coated in 25mm armour and that half (if not more)T6 BB have gun caliber smaller than 380mm.

Nevermind the fact that Pensacola is most likely the most tanky T6 CA out there.

What's 25mm armor when the proliferation of 380mm+ has skyrocketed in Tier VI MM bracket?

We are at a point in the game now that even 30mm Cruiser armor sections have become irrelevant.