You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

WG please create a ASW load out for planes.

61 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts

If your a CV hater please go away this thread is talking about ASW ONLY!!!

CVE normaly went after subs and were very good at.  They did not have to sink the sub, keeping there head down was enough.

WG has decided to let subs recharge battery underwater for some reason. And give insane underwater speed.  Come on WG at least make them surface then t7 or 8 introduce snokles.

The CV should have the ability to change the load out before taking off for ASW.

Depth charges on the BD, at t8 and t10 it could change to homing torps. There is historical accuracy for this.

This will give the CV a different role and the abilty to defend the BB and its self through out the game.

Any other ideas?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

I think ASW is the perfect excuse to bring back odd tier CVs as an alternate CV line.

Edited by CO_Valle
  • Cool 4

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

replace rockets with depth charges...  or as an optional loadout 

give bb's and cv's noisemaker consumable with cooldown to stop the chance of torp cits (or a chance to stop it at least) or even to foil homing altogether.

• Boring 1

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

If they could switch to ASW they should only be able to do it before battle, like choosing between DFAA and hydro. Switch it out for rockets. Choosing between anti DD ams ASW. 

... Not that anyone takes DFAA nowadays... 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
54 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

CVE normaly went after subs and were very good at it. 

An old fellow who lived next door to me once flew ASW spotter planes in WWII. Over 275 U-boats were sunk by allied aircraft in WWII. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

[WOLF8]
Members
7,345 posts
6,239 battles
53 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

I think ASW is the perfect excuse to bring back odd tier CVs as an alternate CV line.

^ Pretty much this. I'm also guessing that WeeGee might bring those CV's back with ASW capability.

I imagine that we'll also see few new Premium CV's with ASW capability, as such... lol.

Members
137 posts
11,323 battles

I am kinda on the fence with this one. On the one hand, it makes total sense to allow CVs to do ASW warfare... But then what about BBs who can't damage subs either?

On the other hand, the ONLY thing I'm looking forward to with the sub introduction is the chance to slowly sneak all the way around the map without being spotted and snipe the CVs into oblivion. 

So, kinda 50/50 on this issue.

• Cool 1

Members
2,119 posts
6,339 battles

Give the planes back the strafing ability in WW2 this is how many subs were damaged and sunk. 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,173 posts
7,226 battles
1 hour ago, PotatoMD said:

If they could switch to ASW they should only be able to do it before battle, like choosing between DFAA and hydro. Switch it out for rockets. Choosing between anti DD ams ASW. 

Great Idea, and your BB/DD or cruiser can chose between HE and AP before going into battle too.

Remember, WG considers planes(and their payload) ammunition, so by that line of thought DC's are just another ammo type.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 hour ago, PotatoMD said:

A lot of people take dfaa.  I stoped carrying it because I dont get atracked much sonar is more useful.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
37 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

^ Pretty much this. I'm also guessing that WeeGee might bring those CV's back with ASW capability.

I imagine that we'll also see few new Premium CV's with ASW capability, as such... lol.

And thats great for our t7 cv but what about t8? We just sit and wait to be torped?

People pretend there is no counter play for the CV but with subs its a literal truth.

If they never have to surfic then they have no counter play.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
39 minutes ago, Rokkator said:

I am kinda on the fence with this one. On the one hand, it makes total sense to allow CVs to do ASW warfare... But then what about BBs who can't damage subs either?

On the other hand, the ONLY thing I'm looking forward to with the sub introduction is the chance to slowly sneak all the way around the map without being spotted and snipe the CVs into oblivion. 

So, kinda 50/50 on this issue.

While your doing that you lose the game because your spending 10 min to so it.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
39 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

Give the planes back the strafing ability in WW2 this is how many subs were damaged and sunk. 

The sub never has to surface.  That is the main problem with the sub so depth charges are only solution?

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
42 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

O uea we will get a CV equilavant verson of Ashsio.  Great with 1 thing but meh at anything else.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,345 posts
6,239 battles
14 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

And thats great for our t7 cv but what about t8? We just sit and wait to be torped?

People pretend there is no counter play for the CV but with subs its a literal truth.

If they never have to surfic then they have no counter play.

What do you mean? If WG brings back those odd tier CV's, they'll most likely be bumped up to become even tier CV's at an alternate CV line. Kind of like how they bumped up Kaga and Saipan from Tier VII to VIII. My guess is that Tier V CV's would come back as Tier VI, Tier VII ones as Tier VIII, and Tier IX ones as Tier X. I heard that the sub lines start at Tier VI... so it kind of fits, when I think about it.

11 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

O uea we will get a CV equilavant verson of Ashsio.  Great with 1 thing but meh at anything else.

A CV can have three different types of planes (Indomitable is an exception). I don't think that all three needs to be ASW.

Edited by Blorgh2017
spelling and grammar

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

An old fellow who lived next door to me once flew ASW spotter planes in WWII. Over 275 U-boats were sunk by allied aircraft in WWII. 

And uncounted other U-Boats were not able to complete their mission of sinking merchants because of those damned planes.

Planes were able to see submerged subs down to 100 feet and some times deeper, they should be able to spot submerged subs at longer distances than the currently can.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

What do you mean? If WG brings back those odd tier CV's, they'll most likely be bumped up to become even tier CV's at an alternate CV line. Kind of like how they bumped up Kaga and Saipan from Tier VII to VIII. My guess is that Tier V CV's would come back as Tier VI, Tier VII ones as Tier VIII, and Tier IX ones as Tier X. I heard that the sub lines start at Tier VI... so it kind of fits, when I think about it.

A CV can have three different types of planes (Indomitable is an exception). I don't think that all three needs to be ASW.

If odd t were the only cv with ASW then the even T are at a grave disadvantage.  Your suggesting Lex sould be come t7 or t9 so somthing can take its place? 

Its been along time but I think Ranger was t6 was Lex t7? Essex was t9.

I could see a prem cv with 2 sq of ASW and 1 sq of rockets sitting at t6.  Some kind of dead droping depth charges.  Or a t8 or 10 with homing torps and sonobuoy.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,345 posts
6,239 battles
Just now, jags_domain said:

If odd t were the only cv with ASW then the even T are at a grave disadvantage.  Your suggesting Lex sould be come t7 or t9 so somthing can take its place? 

Its been along time but I think Ranger was t6 was Lex t7? Essex was t9.

I could see a prem cv with 2 sq of ASW and 1 sq of rockets sitting at t6.  Some kind of dead droping depth charges.  Or a t8 or 10 with homing torps and sonobuoy.

I never said Lex becoming an odd tier, something else taking her place, or anything of sort.

Please go back and reread my post. I did say alternate CV line. That means a second CV line that's branching off, probably at at Tier VI.

So in your example, you'd have two Tier VIII CV's for USN: Lexington at the main CV line, and Ranger at the ASW line.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

And uncounted other U-Boats were not able to complete their mission of sinking merchants because of those damned planes.

Planes were able to see submerged subs down to 100 feet and some times deeper, they should be able to spot submerged subs at longer distances than the currently can.

The guy I knew flew patrols over the entrances to the Panama Canal. Not as "romantic" as some of the theatres but vital to the war effort nonetheless. The allies would have had a much longer route to get ships from the Atlantic to the Pacific if the Canal Zone had been blockaded by subs.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
16 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The civil air patrol was mentioned in sub logs.  They did not shot at the subs but they keeped there heads down and redirected convoys.  Same with the blimps.

Unfortubitly in game the subs dont have to surface.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
22 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I never said Lex becoming an odd tier, something else taking her place, or anything of sort.

Please go back and reread my post. I did say alternate CV line. That means a second CV line that's branching off, probably at at Tier VI.

So in your example, you'd have two Tier VIII CV's for USN: Lexington at the main CV line, and Ranger at the ASW line.

Sorry miss understood a whole new line.

That would be great.  I would be 100 percent for that. A totally new way of playing.

Edited by jags_domain

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The guy I knew flew patrols over the entrances to the Panama Canal. Not as "romantic" as some of the theatres but vital to the war effort nonetheless. The allies would have had a much longer route to get ships from the Atlantic to the Pacific if the Canal Zone had been blockaded by subs.

It is surprising that no sabotage happened there.  One lock being destroyed would have taken months to repair it.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,226 posts
11,168 battles

So they can do even more than they already do? Spot, damage, kill low health ships. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,915 posts
11,596 battles
2 hours ago, CO_Valle said:

Essex, Hiryu, Taiho, all of them fleet carriers, i feel like making them ASW and "support" carriers would be doing them a disservice, especially the Essex class, now, i dont play CVs much anymore, but i dont want to see a CV with a vast amount of history be reduced to being just a support ship

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
45 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I interviewed a guy who was stationed at Pearl Harbor during the war.  He did not want to talk because he was ashamed of not bing in the "real war" as he put it.

He was good with it then but as the years went he started to regreat it.

Edited by jags_domain