You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow_Wolf7

Best Tech Tree Ships?

34 comments in this topic

[T3I0F]
Members
49 posts
2,267 battles

So I still consider myself relatively new to the game. I've only grinded up one line (Minotaur) and have the Jutland so almost 2 lines now. When I went up the Minotaur line I free xp'd my way through some ships to get to the Minotaur. I later regretted this as 1) I would have been better off spending more time at lower tiers learning the mechanics before being thrust into tier X matchmaking with the Mino that I truly didn't understand how to play,  and 2) I missed out on some really nice ships that I would have really enjoyed, in particular, the Fiji that I now realize is an amazing light cruiser tier for tier and I so wish I would have spent the time to both grind the improved modules, spent the credits to maybe purchase some upgrades for it, and kept in it port to play for fun. So this made me wonder what tech tree ships are great and that the community would recommend spending the time to really enjoy and possibly keeping in port? The only one that comes to mind is the Bismark that appears to be enjoyed by a large amount of players and kept in the ports for many when they want to play some non tier X BB games. Knowing this helps me because I know not to free xp my way through the Bismark or try to save time or money by not getting the upgraded modules. I would love your input down below. I will create 2 categories below of ships that are highly recommended and ships that are somewhat recommended/depend on your playstyle. Hopefully this helps others as well.

NOTE 1: This does not include premium ships or T10 ships as I assume that you will keep those/research those regardless

NOTE 2: Please clarify which category you would put the ship you recommend under (highly recommended or somewhat recommended). Also feel free to discuss and disagree with someone else's choice which may make me move it to "somewhat recommended".

Highly Recommended:

Japanese

Kongo - T5 BB

Fuso - T6 BB

Amagi - T8 BB

Furitaka - T5 CA

Mogami - T8 CA

Minekaze - T5 DD

Fubuki - T6 DD

Shiratsuyu - T7 DD

Akatsuki - T8 DD

Kitekaze - T9 DD

U.S.

Colorado - T7 BB

North Carolina - T8 BB

Iowa - T9 BB

Dallas - D6 CL

Helena - T7 CL

Pensacola - T6 CA

Baltimore - T8 CA

Fletcher - T9 DD

USSR

Izmail T6 BB

Sinop - T7 BB

Sovetsky Soyuz - T9 BB

Budyonny - T6 CL

Shchors - T7 CL

Chapayev - T8 CL

Dmitri Donskoi - T6 CA

Podvoisky - T5 DD

German

Bayern - T6 BB

Gneisenau - T7 BB

Bismark - T8 BB

Koenigsburg - T5 CA

Nurnberg - T6 CA

Yorck - T7 CA

British

King George V - T7 BB

Fiji - T7 CL

Leander - T6 CL

Lightning - T8 DD

Jutland - T9 DD

French

Lyon - T7 BB

Alsace - T9 BB

Charles Martel - T8 CA

Le Fantasque - T7 DD

Mogador - T8 DD
Pan-Asian

Gadja Mada - T8 DD

Chung Mu - T8 DD

Italy

Amalfi - T8 CL

Europe

Ostergotland - T9 DD

Somewhat Recommended/Depends on the Player/Not as good as others above:

Japan

Isokaze - T4 DD (low tier so maybe not worth it?)

U.S.

Clemson - T4 DD (low tier so maybe not worth it?)

British

Icarus - T6 DD (not as good as Lightning/Jutland tier for tier)

Edinburgh - T8 CL (not as good as Leander or Fiji tier for tier)

French

Friant - T3 CA (low tier so maybe not worth it?)

Edited by Shadow_Wolf7
Added more ships
  • Cool 2

[WMD]
Members
1,618 posts
9,720 battles

I agree with your assessment of Fiji and Bismarck. Of the lines you've already moved up I'd add:

Leander- Baby Fiji, great for T6 Ranked Sprint

Jervis- great gunboat at her tier, with good but limited torps

Lightning- best T8 knife fighter, awesome stealth, decent torps

Jutland- Lightning, but better in every way. 

For other tech trees:

King George V- surprising fun, that often gets overlooked. Make smart use of AP when the opportunity arises. 

Charles Martel- fun to run around and burn ships down with, as far as you need to go up the line if its playstyle isn't for you, the next two play the same but with more HP.

Baltimore- great radar, and awesome AP

Dallas- fun in scenarios, and good for hunting DDs in Ranked sprint

As someone that loves RN DDs, Icarus is my add to the somewhat reccomend list. It really helps you learn how to play the mid-high tier RN DDs, and is a great boat compared to its peers with only T-61 being a direct equal. 

Edited by VeatherVitch
  • Cool 1

[B-Z]
Members
123 posts
14,192 battles

BB's : Sinop. North Carolina, Kongo, Lyon

CA's Baltimore, Furitaka

CL's Fiji, Chapayev, Helena

DD's Shiratsuyu, Gadja Mada, Lightening, Clemson

• Cool 1

[BSL]
Members
1,201 posts
20,859 battles

All the T10 ships are very good, although you may not like their play styles.

Others:

5 Minekaze

5 Furutaka

5 Koenigsburg

8 Edinburgh

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,702 posts
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

All the T10 ships are very good, although you may not like their play styles.

Others:

5 Minekaze

5 Furutaka

5 Koenigsburg

8 Edinburgh

All tier 10 ships are very good? I think people would argue that the Yueyang is not particularly good ever since WG gutted it years ago. I rarely see high tier Pan-Asian destroyers.

Anyways, my personal favorites are at tier 10... hm... The Halland has jumped pretty high up my list so far. Moskva isn't bad. Hindenburg is a solid boat, too. Montana is a fun BB.

At tier 9, I really enjoy my Musashi, Georgia, Alaska, Missouri, Fletcher and the Ostergotland.

Not sure about lower tiers.

Anyways, what is 'best' is going to largely be subjective and based on what you personally enjoy the most.

• Boring 2

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,642 posts
34,843 battles

BBs: Sinop. North Carolina, Fuso

CAs: Zao, Hindenburg, Pensacola (now that it has 25mm front armor), Baltimore

CLs: Budyonny, Fiji, Chapayev, Helena

DDs: Clemson, Fubuki, Gadjah Mada, Lightning

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
803 posts
9,645 battles

Good post OP. I think your idea of not free xp omg through entire ships is a good idea, plus it will allow you to save for free xp ships and there are several out there. I kept all the RN cruisers and dds from tier V up. I enjoyed them all, certainly there are some not as good as others. Other lines with hidden gems for me were:

mogami, Le fantasque, Donskoi, Amalfi, Nurnberg

• Cool 2

[BSL]
Members
1,201 posts
20,859 battles
3 hours ago, Zaydin said:

At tier 9, I really enjoy my Musashi, Georgia, Alaska, Missouri, Fletcher and the Ostergotland. 

These are not Tech Tree.

And Yueyang is still a good boat...even if she ain't what she used to be.

[DPG]
Supertester
643 posts
15,746 battles

Some great suggestions above that I largely agree with - A couple more sleepers I really enjoy: 

IJN DD line - T7 Akatsuki - A fantastic torp boat  - she has 3 x 3 range 10 torps that reload every 68 seconds - take, torp reload &  EM skills and the turret traverse module on her , and play her like a ninja ( not an initial capper with her 6.4km detect - scout near caps, launch torps at enemy dd's who smoke and such, contest the caps a bit later when you know more accurately where the enemy is positioned Radio location on this ship really pays off. 

- With the skill/module above,  the quicker turret speeds and 2 x rear turrets make her a great boat to kite away from enemy dd's and punishing them if they decide to chase you ... a ton of fun , and the only ship i've earned a solo warrior with. 

-----

Also IJN DD - T9 Kitekaze gun boat is incredibly powerful  - her t8 counterpart Akizuki is similar in play style , and can be a lot of fun once your figure out the unique playstyle the gun boats have over the torp tree  - i don;t care for the t10 Haragumo - she's really more a small cruiser than a DD 

-----

in the cruiser line, i suspect many might disagree with me, but I really like the T7 York - it has received a couple buffs a while back, and i only recently started playing her again - she's fragile like most t7 cruisers, but played at range, angling well and using islands in the mid/late game to avoid BB fire , she is extremely effective. 

Edited by Karandar

[T3I0F]
Members
49 posts
2,267 battles

Thank you all for your replies! Adding them now. As a side note I will not put any Tier 10 ships or premium ships on the list since you presumably will keep those regardless. See OP for some edits and update on ships.

Edited by Shadow_Wolf7

[WPORT]
Members
5,387 posts
10,416 battles

For fun and lively game-play at Tier-3, I enjoy the French Cruiser Friant.

• Cool 2

[NFJF]
Beta Testers
210 posts
9,416 battles

Any Russian line that is not there destroyers.

Members
1,430 posts
17,106 battles

The French BB line has some interesting ships but the T9 Alsace is one of the more pleasant grinds to reach a T10.

Even after the entire IJN DD line got gimped I've enjoyed playing the Isokaze because of the way it dances circles around the BBs at those tiers. It's a great ship to teach baby seals how to be grizzled veterans. Of course these days you need a lucky roll of the dice to get a non CV game... although I'd settle for just one CV in a game.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,730 posts
11,713 battles

Your missing the Lyon on that list. 16 guns and amazing AA and secondaries with one of the best t7 armor schemes makes her one of the best ships tier for tier. Moskva is another one up there.

Members
101 posts
7,039 battles

I am not a fan of KM bbs, thanks FDG, I did not buy GK.  That being said my favorite KM bbs are Bayern and Gnies.  Bayern is a Bismark ancestor that fits better in T6 than Bis does at T8.  Bayern has good secondaries, armor and AA.  The Gnies, if you can put up with wonky guns is a beast.  Torps, speed, armor and secondaries are great and T7 match making is nice.  IMHO Bismark's problem is up tiering into T9-10 land where her secondary trick and weak main guns do not work well.

Edited by Player_7629970598

[INTEL]
Members
3,047 posts
16,705 battles

Podvoisky

Isokaze

Leander

Soyuz

Nurnberg

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

everyone has their favourites... hard to pick best :)

recently been playing Izmail and I really like it, takes some time to get used to the turret layout, but once you get a handle on that the ship is a blast, and it has one of the higher AA defence scores at tier.  It works ok when uptiered as well so long as you can get fairly close without showing sides.

[T3I0F]
Members
49 posts
2,267 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

Your missing the Lyon on that list. 16 guns and amazing AA and secondaries with one of the best t7 armor schemes makes her one of the best ships tier for tier. Moskva is another one up there.

Thank you! Added the Lyon, not adding Tier 10's to this list as I assume players keep them regardless.

39 minutes ago, CrownoftheFleet said:

Daring

Thanks, but not adding Tier 10's to this list as I assume players keep them regardless.

Edited by Shadow_Wolf7

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

For fun and lively game-play at Tier-3, I enjoy the French Cruiser Friant.

She is the best "tier for tier" ship in the game.  +1  :cap_like:

[T3I0F]
Members
49 posts
2,267 battles
54 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Podvoisky

Isokaze

Leander

Soyuz

Nurnberg

Added except for Isokaze as idk if people really keep ships below T5 in port?

57 minutes ago, Player_7629970598 said:

I am not a fan of KM bbs, thanks FDG, I did not buy GK.  That being said my favorite KM bbs are Bayern and Gnies.  Bayern is a Bismark ancestor that fits better in T6 than Bis does at T8.  Bayern has good secondaries, armor and AA.  The Gnies, if you can put up with wonky guns is a beast.  Torps, speed, armor and secondaries are great and T7 match making is nice.  IMHO Bismark's problem is up tiering into T9-10 land where her secondary trick and weak main guns do not work well.

Added

1 hour ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

The French BB line has some interesting ships but the T9 Alsace is one of the more pleasant grinds to reach a T10.

Even after the entire IJN DD line got gimped I've enjoyed playing the Isokaze because of the way it dances circles around the BBs at those tiers. It's a great ship to teach baby seals how to be grizzled veterans. Of course these days you need a lucky roll of the dice to get a non CV game... although I'd settle for just one CV in a game.

Added

[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

At tier 8 & 9, ships I would still play (rather than just play the tier 10 which is eminently better in every way)

DD Tier 8: Akizuki / Lightning / Fantastique      Tier 9: Kitakaze / Fletcher / Jutland / Mogador / Chung Mu / Ostergotland

CA Tier 8: Nothing   Tier 9: Nothing (Tier 10 cruisers are so vastly superior to tier 8 & 9, I have no interest in them except the premium heavies)

BB Tier 8: Bismarck   Tier 9: Iowa / Alsace

Premium ships take up the rest.  

[WORX]
Members
10,595 posts
18,494 battles

The Isokaze and the Clemson are both different play style ships that are fun to play.

NM always a fave as well... Some good times playing those ships

[KEGEL]
Members
266 posts
11,509 battles

All the tier 10s have their charms, tho the road to them can be rocky.  If one were to judge journey rather than destination (for the grind doesn't start till tier 7), I'd pick;

BBs

Japanese & French.

The tier 7, 8 & 9's in these lines are all solid. The Uzumo used to be dumpster fire everyone FXP'ed past, not any more. The French gets a bit wonky at Richelieu but all forgiven with Alsace despite the nerfs.

USN, RN, KM & Russian all have at least one, two or all stinkers between 7 & 9.

US it's the pudgy Colorado, RN it's the garbage barges Monarch & Lion. KM tho the Gneisenau is a bit iffy the Fat Freddy is the bloated tart you'll gladly part with the FXP to end the torment. Ivan's Fantasy Island boats I just didn't care for period.

Cruisers

USN Heavies, Russian, RN Lights & KM are all pretty solid between 7 & 9. Almost didn't include the KM because of Roon. Despite the funky reversed turret arrangement, still decent.

DDs

With the exception of missing the top end Russian & Shima boats, liked all the pew-pew Lolliboats with exception to the French & Pan Euro. Haru line, USN, RN & KM were all a enjoyable grinds 7 thru 9.

[INTEL]
Members
3,047 posts
16,705 battles
10 hours ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Added except for Isokaze as idk if people really keep ships below T5 in port

If they don’t keep Isokaze, they should.