You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Wasted consumables

12 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
455 posts
20,168 battles

I apologize if it's been discussed before, but countless times I see players popping radar or hydro way to early.  Occasionally someone makes a suggestion in chat to hold off until later (or closer) but usually the mistake goes without comment or advice to the player.  Given the amount of time needed for cool down this mistake can sometimes cost the team.

I know when I was a new player, before the use of these consumables appeared in chat, I would pop hydro very early all the time.  Nothing would be detected, and I decided it was a useless consumable.  And yes, I was a full potato in the early days.  :Smile_hiding:

I'm wonder if WG should take a mostly useless F key, like the one for 'I need intelligence data' and reprogram it to say 'Next time hold off until there is a chance an enemy might be in range' or something similar.

Your thoughts?

• Boring 1

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

It's their consumables... not the teams.   Up to the player.  

It's annoying.  Like having a radar ship not use radar when the is something in cap and its not lit.  Or the ship that helps by sitting in a corner.

Other games have mechanics where a bad (e.g. Tank) can be booted, or a better DPS brought in.  Unfortunately we are humble slaves to RNGesus. 

At least in a Div I know what 2 other people are doing  .

• Boring 3

[WOLFC]
Members
485 posts
6,354 battles

Aside from what the OP describes, even long time players can (and do) hit the wrong key sometimes. In WG's infinite wisdom, linking particular consumables to a a key isn't a thing, so when you get used to a ship's layout often the consumables on another ship are arranged differently. I.e. one ship, the hydro will be "R", while on another it will be in the "T" slot, since it goes by consumable slot, and not the consumable itself. I know it's been asked for before, but it certainly would be nice to bind a consumable to a given key, in addition to/instead of by consumable slot.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
2 minutes ago, Nolo_00 said:

Aside from what the OP describes, even long time players can (and do) hit the wrong key sometimes. In WG's infinite wisdom, linking particular consumables to a a key isn't a thing, so when you get used to a ship's layout often the consumables on another ship are arranged differently. I.e. one ship, the hydro will be "R", while on another it will be in the "T" slot, since it goes by consumable slot, and not the consumable itself. I know it's been asked for before, but it certainly would be nice to bind a consumable to a given key, in addition to/instead of by consumable slot.

Yeah a lot of times the early use of a consumable is because of fat finger syndrome.

[WOLFC]
Members
485 posts
6,354 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah a lot of times the early use of a consumable is because of fat finger syndrome.

So what you're saying is, some players need a consumable wand?

giphy (4).gif

• Funny 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

mebbe we need more women playing...  or is that the reason...?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,097 posts
4,081 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Yup, how many times have we seen the trail of smoke behind a DD leaving spawn, usually followed by good natured ribbing from both sides?

That said, I’ve seen plenty of cruisers pop radar with clearly nothing in range. But it’s hard to fix stupid.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,266 posts
25,119 battles
2 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I know when I was a new player, before the use of these consumables appeared in chat, I would pop hydro very early all the time.  Nothing would be detected, and I decided it was a useless consumable.  And yes, I was a full potato in the early days.  :Smile_hiding:

I always considered hydro to be too short ranged useless garbage...

...until I finally clued on how useful it was for spotting torpedoes and making destroyers in smoke either run away, or cease to exist.

2 hours ago, madgiecool said:

At least in a Div I know what 2 other people are doing.

0.0045% of my Randoms have been in divisions...

...so basically I have no idea if there’s any truth to what you say or not.

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles
18 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I always considered hydro to be too short ranged useless garbage...

...until I finally clued on how useful it was for spotting torpedoes and making destroyers in smoke either run away, or cease to exist.

0.0045% of my Randoms have been in divisions...

...so basically I have no idea if there’s any truth to what you say or not.

Have you heard of VoIP?   It can be used to communicate to people all across the web.

Div's use it to talk in game, it can be enabled inside the WoWS client.

VoIP = Voice over Internet Protocol = 

- Discord

- Team Speak

• Confused 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,871 battles
8 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I apologize if it's been discussed before, but countless times I see players popping radar or hydro way to early.  Occasionally someone makes a suggestion in chat to hold off until later (or closer) but usually the mistake goes without comment or advice to the player.  Given the amount of time needed for cool down this mistake can sometimes cost the team.

I know when I was a new player, before the use of these consumables appeared in chat, I would pop hydro very early all the time.  Nothing would be detected, and I decided it was a useless consumable.  And yes, I was a full potato in the early days.  :Smile_hiding:

I'm wonder if WG should take a mostly useless F key, like the one for 'I need intelligence data' and reprogram it to say 'Next time hold off until there is a chance an enemy might be in range' or something similar.

Your thoughts?

Today's lesson in premature smoke is brought to you by the letter "T" … 

And typing in chat before pressing "Enter"

Edited by Commander_367

Members
830 posts
4,679 battles

For me, it's often switching to a different ship after playing another one for multiple games. Example, in the Georgia and Sinop, both of them have the Heal on the T button.

Then I get into my Alaska, and T uses the Hydro.

[RLGN]
Members
14,266 posts
25,119 battles
1 hour ago, madgiecool said:

Have you heard of VoIP?   It can be used to communicate to people all across the web.

No.