Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cmjohnson207

USS New Jersey (a ship suggestion)

10 comments in this topic

Members
40 posts
4,234 battles

I thought of a experiment of the other two Iowa Class battleships that aren't in the game:

USS New Jersey

*not serious proposal*

USS New Jersey will be vietnam era

Edited by cmjohnson207
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles

But why? Why these two, instead of the myriad of ships not yet in the game that are equally deserving - if not more so because they don't already have two sisters and a halfsister in game?

• Cool 1

Members
328 posts
4,316 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

But why? Why these two, instead of the myriad of ships not yet in the game that are equally deserving - if not more so because they don't already have two sisters and a halfsister in game?

He's been posting ship after ship here for the last 3 days without any logic as to how they might fit in game, if they deserve to or what. He seems to just copy off wikipedia, post it here and say "what if?". It's spam as far as I'm concerned.

• Cool 2

Members
274 posts
5,115 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Kinda with Lert on this one.

WeeGee likes sister ships to have gimmicks, or at least a notable difference in playstyle.

Take Bismark and Tirpitz (One has torps) or

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau (main armament difference)

You've also got Boise and Helena (heal vs dpm)

The list could go on and on, but there are more interesting ships you could and probably should add into the game.

We already have an Iowa with radar (Missouri) and an Iowa with secondaries and 457s + spood beest (Georgia)

If anything, I'm sure WG has run out of ideas to make any further sort of compelling version of these ships.

Believe me it pains me too, I'm from Jersey

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles
1 minute ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

If anything, I'm sure WG has run out of ideas to make any further sort of compelling version of these ships.

SAP and smoke?

[PISD]
Members
1,282 posts
5,285 battles
23 minutes ago, Lert said:

SAP and smoke?

Main battery reload booster and make it a tier 10 ;-)

Members
167 posts
2,919 battles

New Jersey is the most famous ship not in the game. I think 1944 rounded bridge painted in MS21 blue camouflage is warranted as a premium, tier ix / x 

Considering all awards, not just Battle Stars, it's either the most or second most decorated US warship. Let's consider the following:

One of only two Iowa class battleships to engage an enemy warship (Iowa being the other)

Flagship of the US fleet at Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle ever commanded

The proposed site of the Japanese surrender (Missouri was chosen because President Truman was from Missouri, no other reason)

Only active battleship in the world during the Vietnam War

Only battleship to participate in the Lebanese Civil War

Saw more action than all of her sisters combined 

Only Iowa class to be a museum in it's own state, in fact it's directly across the river from where it was built. 

First reactivated Iowa class in the 1980's, reactivation ceremony was actually presided over by RONALD REAGAN

[B2P]
Members
259 posts
7,041 battles

Since I'm bored and have been debating making a case for the New Jersey or any new Iowa-class, since Missouri is unavailable and Georgia hides behind Coal, we'll make this a FXP ship. Or a Bureau ship. 
I prefer FXP. 
Since we're fantasizing, and don't want it to be a Missouri copy, or a rehashed Georgia, we'll make it a modern flavor ship. 
From Wikipedia: 
1982:
9 × 16 in (406 mm) 50 cal. Mark 7 guns
12 × 5 in (127 mm) 38 cal. Mark 12 guns
32 × BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles
16 × RGM-84 Harpoon Anti-Ship missiles
4 × 20 mm/76 cal. Phalanx CIWS

Leaving out the missiles because there's no precursor we basically get an Iowa hull that leaves the main guns, the secondaries, and only the 4x 20mm CIWS for functional pieces. 
You read that right, only 12 total 5-inchers. That's three dual-mounts per side. Very low secondary power, only really worthwhile for their flak bursts. Secondary gimmick is being thrown around a lot anyway so we'll put those away. 
The 4x 20mm/76 Phalanx CIWS are what would give you an insane mid-close range constant DPS. If you give the NJ a DFAA consumable, then you can apply the percentage boost to make the numbers temporarily fly up sky high. That means roughly 30 seconds of no-fly-zone, assuming your CIWS doesn't get knocked out by HE. I suspect this would be remedied with a high base HP for the mounts and requiring auxiliary armaments mod + preventative maintenance. The goal here, is AA-effectiveness on par with or superior to Halland. 
Main guns are exactly the same as Iowa, Missouri, and Montana. Available dispersion mod in the final slot. If the secondaries are left to the standard tech tree spec, then that means boosting the main guns to have a 2.0 sigma or even Georgia dispersion should be perfectly legal. Additionally, since this late-refit NJ is supposed to use a helicopter instead of a plane but we don't have Helicopters ingame, there is no plane. The game doesn't need any more radar's so lets leave that unimaginative consumable out. That means New Jersey gets zero spotting tools whatever. 
So what are we left to deal with here? A battleship that relies on destroyers and aircraft carriers to spot for it, but in return recieves reliable firepower and marginal AA immunity while the mounts are active. Lets get into a more detailed suggestion using ingame relevant stat card things.

USS New Jersey BB-62
Firepower: 
3x3 406mm 50 cal Mk7 Main Battery
6x2 127mm 38 cal. Mk12 Secondary battery 
The preferable settings are the same dispersion pattern as Georgia and access to the USN BB specific dispersion module, but secondaries are standard tech-tree fare. Main battery range is similar to that of Iowa/Montana. Reload time between 26-30 seconds. Turret traverse average (no extra twisty soviet turrets, go away). Fairly high Sigma, perhaps 2.0 ALA North Carolina. 
AA: 
6x2 127mm 38 cal. Mk12 (long range) 
4x 20mm/76 cal. Phalanx CIWS (Short-Midrange aura)
The effective goal is for these mounts to possess extreme DPS boosted by a DFAA consumable. The long range will remain poor-ish probably, but the midrange DPS must reach high enough to effectively shred off plane HP and make anymore than one pass near impossible to accomplish if all mounts are active and DFAA is active. Again, Halland-effectiveness is the benchmark. We want a battleship that can effectively shrug off a CV for most of the battle. 
Maneuverability: 
Speed: 33 knots minimum, equal to Iowa and Missouri or slightly better if we assume slightly lower weight (I really am not educated on NJ's weight changes so tbd) 
Rudder shift: Iowa is 17.1s, Georgia is 16.5s. I believe a 15-second rudder shift or better is applicable. 
HP: Comparable to Iowa and Missouri is liable. 
Stealth: Comparable to Iowa or NC
Consumables: 
Damage Control Party : Standard USN flavor 
Repair Party: Fast reload, Georgia/Massachusetts flavor 
DFAA: No precedent for a USN ship, DFAA has been a UK thing with Hood, Thunderer, and DoY in testing at some point. 
Spoodbeast: Up for consideration to allow the percepted role of the USS New Jersey in a T9-T10 environment as a highly mobile artillery barge that excels at the mid-range like Georgia, but trades functional secondaries for AA capability, allowing the ship to operate on flanks or by itself away from the group without getting picked on by an Aircraft Carrier. The ship is therefor very vulnerable to Destroyers, but is counteracted by high speeds and highly accurate main battery, allowing it to hit multiple shells if the DD is spotted. 

A predictive vision if we assume meme reviews pass on the current suggested version is a lot of B-roll footage of consistent devstrikes and damage on cruisers and battleships that have fairly high citadels, and of CV-planes poofing as they show the ship kiting away. What you're getting here in essence, is the Vanguard/Georgia agility experience combined with reliable main battery guns and a Halland strapped to your ship. 
Hydros are for German battleships, Reload booster is for the French. Speed boost is for french and soooorta the USN, if we use Georgia as a precendent. Again, I'm trying to not use Missouri as a precedent for Radar. Radar ships are consistently being added, and a ship that takes a different approach needs to be done. Secondaries are fun, but battleships with reliable main guns take the cake and it's proven by the long held respect for Warspite and Yamato, and the Thunderer. Even without Speedboost, I think this suggested form would work as the Iowas are already very fast on their own. Outside of smoke or some other strange gimmick, there isn't really many ways to carve a battleship that would make it a unique experience unlike the many forms that DDs and CAs come in. 

I would perhaps, given that WG has shown that dispersion can be fiddled with fairly easily with Snowstorms and Kuznetsov, consider a consumable for the USN that works on this principle and is based on the reload booster and soviet BB radar concept since they're trying to make unique concepts on guns. 
Fire Control Radar consumable. Borrow the consumable timing from the french reload booster. No, it's not a radar that gives you vision. 
It's based on a real function of FCR, which is to improve the ranging and overall accuracy of the main battery (roughly, don't yell at me, see Battle of North Cape for what I'm getting at.)
In essence, lets say you're on Tears of the Cruisers on a flank side, stationary and waiting for the enemy ships to pass in front. A CA or BB is nose in, but turns broadside to shoot at your team's Donskoi that is spotting them because he's overextended. He'll die anyway, but when you take aim at the enemy ship, you pop FCR before you shoot and gain a, lets say, -30% to -50% dispersion buff for ~20s and your salvo is a beautiful 9 shells forming an incredible cluster that falls exactly 1 foot away from the enemy ship because you got your elevation just a hair wrong. That. Now you learn your lesson and you actually delete the next ship that broadsides you. That means you get exactly 5 'perfect salvos'.  
It's a consumable that near eliminates main battery RNG 5 times per game essentially. This means bad aim will still bend you over, unlike JB who's reload booster allows it to get 3 salvos off and brute force RNG into behaving. This also means if we altered the form to get a spotter plane, it'd make people proficient in smoke firing with battleships very very happy, as now they essentially get a free lock-on buff and can pump a beautiful salvo into the smoke exactly where they want it. 

• Cool 2

Members
92 posts
2,073 battles
On 6/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, Seniorious said:

3x3 406mm 50 cal Mk7 Main Battery

You could give her the depleted uranium rounds as either HE or Sap if you wanted to change the main guns a little bit.

Sign in to follow this