You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Boomer625

Early game max range potshots

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
376 posts
1,027 battles

So I decided one battle in my Scarhorst (bad spelling) at open fire at max range (with spottier) at a Nagato 20 km away and managed consistent pens and opverpens even before the nagato was ab;le to open fire with its spotter aircraft. The nagato, along with another German BB( Gnesiu??) then rushed me and in the ensuing brawl took care of them with torpedo hits

I now wonder If this tactic of taking plenty of potshots at max range viable for other ships, as I remember the Nagato and German BB had the plunging fire weakness or does it juts make you spotted?

BF9C29C0-2A91-456B-B55D-DC44EEA52141.jpeg

Edited by Boomer625

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,100 battles
12 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

So I decided one battle in my Scarhorst (bad spelling) at open fire at max range (with spottier) at a Nagato 20 km away and managed consistent pens and opverpens even before the nagato was ab;le to open fire with its spotter aircraft. The nagato, along with another German BB( Gnesiu??) then rushed me and in the ensuing brawl took care of them with torpedo hits

I now wonder If this tactic of taking plenty of potshots at max range viable for other ships, as I remember the Nagato and German BB had the plunging fire weakness or does it juts make you spotted?

BF9C29C0-2A91-456B-B55D-DC44EEA52141.jpeg

When I play bb I open up at max range with he except in the Yamato. Much better chance of pens and the fire dmg farming is a great way to pad dmg stats. 

I hate using AP at those ranges due to shatters and bounces. Yammy however has delivered cits at 25 km before 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,181 posts
19,031 battles

Are potshots viable?

Son, you miss every shot you don't take. So even if you miss 90% of your shells taking pot shots, that's still more hits than you would've gotten had you remained guns silent.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles

It just depends on the situation... I would recommend in domination mode, BBs go after cruisers or the target closets to them...

The closet red target will have greater opportunity to win the match then a sniper over 20km away.

Also, BBs who dont help in capping because they're sniping at targets at 15+km away. Usually will end the match as a loss for the fleet. .

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,403 battles

Early surprise damage can be good but you have to weigh the benefits of that damage versus giving up your location to the enemy. 

• Cool 1

Members
383 posts
4,143 battles

23 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

I wouldn't focus on taking potshots with the Scarn as a primary offensive move simply due to the guns not being very good at range. RNG will automatically cause rounds to miss, your rounds aren't huge so you can't nuke anything even when you do hit, and every shot you fire at a person 20km is a shot you could of taken against a target closer. Throw ontop of this the fact the Scarn is one of the better mid/close range brawler BBs, almost any other BB or CA would be better off sitting at distance and filling that role. 

It's fine to get some cheeky shots in early if you are already spotted, or going to get spotted. Otherwise the amount of damage you could get with from some early long range fire is minimal, compared to giving your position away for an intelligent enemy at the start of the game. Its one thing to get 3-4k damage early, its another to blast someone, who was not expecting a scarn to be so close already. Once the game is underway you really want to be making the most of your guns as often as possible, so you should be in a high leverage situation due to your armor, speed, and agility. You shouldn't be at range if you can help it. 

I aslo wouldn't advise taking the spotter plane for the same reasons. The Scarn isn't a good snipping ship, so getting something to increase its snipping capabilities is a waste. The fighter plane can mean the difference between living a game and winning, and dying and losing to planes that want to focus you as you do your work on the front-lines. If there is no CV, then you still get an "extra eye" to spot people in a pinch, but missing out on the extra range will almost never hurt you. 

Even other BBs shouldn't really rely on this tactic too much simply due to having a crap ton of armor, health and heal. The price for getting close is easy to pay off when compared to "sniper" ships like the RU cruisers who live at range. 

Bottom line, a BB can fire less then 40 volleys a game (Scarn is 60 due to its fast reload) you shouldn't spend them shooting in an ineffective position, even if that means you can't get shot at.

[WOLF1]
Members
376 posts
1,027 battles

Also how viable is it to create a full secondary build (through upgrades but not really through commander skills)

I see other players manage to entrench the scar secondaries to 8 km fully, but I may self seldom find brawling positions to use these secondaries I may invest through upgrades

[GGWP]
Members
67 posts
2,808 battles
16 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Also how viable is it to create a full secondary build (through upgrades but not really through commander skills)

I see other players manage to entrench the scar secondaries to 8 km fully, but I may self seldom find brawling positions to use these secondaries I may invest through upgrades

A full secondary build would included commander skills. I play Scharnhorst with no added secondary power atm because I am training up a tank/concealment/blitz build to use to have fun in the upcoming ranked, but I sometimes throw my bismarck captain on her and change the upgrades to a secondary build. Secondary builds on Scharny are fun when you are top tier, but I have found that have a full tank/stealth build is much, much better and more fun when you are in a t9 battles because at that point your secondaries really only do anything to DDs so getting in close to brawl and use your torpedoes effectively is much better than trying to use a secondary build.

TLDR: a secondary build Scharnhorst can be super fun as a top tier, but sucks (imo) as a bottom tier, and the sacrifices you have to make to your tankiness and ability to get in close undetected make it much less fun in almost every situation.

[APES]
Members
993 posts
6,323 battles

It takes a lot of experience (own or learned from replays) and practice to aim pot shots accurately.

Some long-range, large-caliber battleships like Republique and Yamato are excellent at taking pot shots in the early game. German battleships can also take pot shots to a certain degree of effectiveness. However, to perform well (in terms of damage/game and Personal Rating) in battleships, you have to push with your team and dare to brawl, especially towards the endgame.

In the early game, a useful tactic of taking pot shots is to aim quickly, minimize the locking time, fire a full salvo, and then immediately press Shift+X to lock your guns to the sector (and maneuver your own ship to evade as needed). This is because most BB and CA/CL captains have the Priority Target captain skill, which warns them when your guns are locked on them. Even without seeing your salvo in the air, most potatoes will start evading after 4~5 seconds of being locked. High-tier endgamers evade sooner, in 2~3 seconds or less. If you master pot shots with an accurate aim and sub-3-second target lock, you can consistently achieve 40k+ damage before detection-range combats even start.