Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BatRastardly

First Match Against FDR Impression

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

137
[187]
[187]
Members
190 posts
20,187 battles

Just went up against this ship for the first time today. I was is a Moskva with an AA build and was focused by the CV in the end-game, with a cyclone ending. I shot down 18 planes and did 45k gun DMG. The FDR did over 80k dmg and sunk me. He cycled planes non-stop, the bombers started 3 fires every pass, and the torps hit 5 of 8 each pass despite aggressive maneuvers. I don't recall the rocket attacks.  The torps don't do a lot of alpha DMG individually but the flooding adds up quick. Both the ship and the planes seemed very tanky and overall the FDG is far more deadly than the Midway, though the tester was obviously a unicum CV player. The speed of the planes never appeared to be a factor but our duel was at close ranges. While only one game, to catch a CV in open water at less than 10k range and never really have a chance causes me to think this ship is way OP as-is. I have been playing since open beta, have over 18k total matches, and my Moskva has a 19pt Captain and the Legendary module. At only a 54% WR I am far from unicum but no novice either. I cannot see how this ship can be good for the game in its current iteration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
31 minutes ago, BatRastardly said:

Just went up against this ship for the first time today. I was is a Moskva with an AA build and was focused by the CV in the end-game, with a cyclone ending. I shot down 18 planes and did 45k gun DMG. The FDR did over 80k dmg and sunk me. He cycled planes non-stop, the bombers started 3 fires every pass, and the torps hit 5 of 8 each pass despite aggressive maneuvers. I don't recall the rocket attacks.  The torps don't do a lot of alpha DMG individually but the flooding adds up quick. Both the ship and the planes seemed very tanky and overall the FDG is far more deadly than the Midway, though the tester was obviously a unicum CV player. The speed of the planes never appeared to be a factor but our duel was at close ranges. While only one game, to catch a CV in open water at less than 10k range and never really have a chance causes me to think this ship is way OP as-is. I have been playing since open beta, have over 18k total matches, and my Moskva has a 19pt Captain and the Legendary module. At only a 54% WR I am far from unicum but no novice either. I cannot see how this ship can be good for the game in its current iteration.

Before doing the OP thing.  FDR stats show it a very meh cv.  The planes are glacial slow.  Yes they have more HP but most cv players will tell you its speed that makes the difference.  You want to get out of AA range fast and into battle fast. These planes are slower than t8.

When it takes you 2 min to launch a strike then you have a reload of 2 min.  How you like you main battery to fire once every 2 min.  FDR also has a 30 sec wait time before the next launch so it was impossable for you to be attacked every few secs.

Have you ever used Midway torps?  There not the easest to drop.  The torp drop seems very strange. There is a big gap between them.  They look like they might be suited for bunched up ships.

I saw 3 last night and they made no differance one way or the other.  DD charged and died in 5 min and they were blow outs.

If you go to Top Tier YouTube channel be has but out some stuff on it.

 

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,189
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,177 posts
9,512 battles
28 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Have you ever used Midway torps?  There not the easest to drop.  The torp drop seems very strange. There is a big gap between them.  They look like they might be suited for bunched up ships.

Well for FDR's torp planes they attack with 2 planes that drops 4 torps each as opposed to Midway's 3 planes, 2 torps each.

 

Might be a slight difference on the drop dispersion/pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
7 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Well for FDR's torp planes they attack with 2 planes that drops 4 torps each as opposed to Midway's 3 planes, 2 torps each.

 

Might be a slight difference on the drop dispersion/pattern.

There is a vid posted to a thread that showed the drop. 4 tight on the left and the right.  But righr in the middle was a hugh gap.  It will work for hitting a ship that is turning or a group of ship. Trying to get all 8 will probably not work because of the spread.

The hardest part about Midway drops is youbhave to start the run 6km out.

Midway is 2 tight but a gap between the 2 torps.  A ship even bb can thread through and take 1 or 2 only and the extreamly load damage its not a big deal. Bb would be better off taking 2 torp hits from planes than turning broadside to other ship and really getting whacked.

Also wpnder how that will look on the plane.  Will they have wing mounted torps?

Edited by jags_domain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles
1 hour ago, Turbogerbil said:

Perhaps they want to force people to play subs...

Then they'll just put depth charges on planes. Guess I shouldn't be giving them ideas......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
124 posts
2,067 battles
2 hours ago, BatRastardly said:

Just went up against this ship for the first time today. I was is a Moskva with an AA build and was focused by the CV in the end-game, with a cyclone ending. I shot down 18 planes and did 45k gun DMG. The FDR did over 80k dmg and sunk me. He cycled planes non-stop, the bombers started 3 fires every pass, and the torps hit 5 of 8 each pass despite aggressive maneuvers. I don't recall the rocket attacks.  The torps don't do a lot of alpha DMG individually but the flooding adds up quick. Both the ship and the planes seemed very tanky and overall the FDG is far more deadly than the Midway, though the tester was obviously a unicum CV player. The speed of the planes never appeared to be a factor but our duel was at close ranges. While only one game, to catch a CV in open water at less than 10k range and never really have a chance causes me to think this ship is way OP as-is. I have been playing since open beta, have over 18k total matches, and my Moskva has a 19pt Captain and the Legendary module. At only a 54% WR I am far from unicum but no novice either. I cannot see how this ship can be good for the game in its current iteration.

Current iteration ? 1) You are a radar ship so it going to focus on any threat to it team mate if its playing for the team and 2) Isn't that the point of the game to kill opposite  team player?. I'm sorry but its a game and sometimes you live or die by many different class ship in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
137
[187]
[187]
Members
190 posts
20,187 battles

Sorry, I forgot that one cannot post anything about CV's w/o producing a highly defensive response. I was only describing my one experience against a very experienced CV player in a new T10 CV under test. I was not bashing CV's or bemoaning why I was targeted and sunk.  I was only posting what I observed. I did not see planes moving at the speed of a "glacier" and I did not say "every few seconds". While it may take 2 minutes to fly a given type of planes again, the fact that he cycled through the multiple squadrons at hand gave me the impression of being under attack "non-stop". Yes there is a big gap between the 2 X 4 torps, however, a skilled CV player can get in to the broadside at a range where a BB, or BB-like CA, cannot possibly dodge all of the torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
5 minutes ago, BatRastardly said:

Sorry, I forgot that one cannot post anything about CV's w/o producing a highly defensive response. I was only describing my one experience against a very experienced CV player in a new T10 CV under test. I was not bashing CV's or bemoaning why I was targeted and sunk.  I was only posting what I observed. I did not see planes moving at the speed of a "glacier" and I did not say "every few seconds". While it may take 2 minutes to fly a given type of planes again, the fact that he cycled through the multiple squadrons at hand gave me the impression of being under attack "non-stop". Yes there is a big gap between the 2 X 4 torps, however, a skilled CV player can get in to the broadside at a range where a BB, or BB-like CA, cannot possibly dodge all of the torps.

I dont think anyone was mean. Which is strange for a post.  I dont see any differance with planes hitting me vs any other ship that wont stop firing at you.

People seem to get angry at planes but I never see a post about why a crusier keeped shooting at them.

Sadly it will prob be onpy available for steel and I will never get to try it out. 

Edited by jags_domain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,642
[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

Moskva is the kind of ship Torpedo Bombers LOVE.

 

It's not as agile as some of the smaller cruisers.

It has a monstrously long hull.

It has a very low TDS value, so every torp that hits is punishing.

 

I see it as balance for the stupid, very tall 50mm icebreaker bow with an equally stupid 50mm deck armor right behind it.  It trolls even Yamato 460mm AP.

The 50mm armor sections even make her a stubborn, resistant target against a lot of HE attacks.

 

PITY

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,642
[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
2 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

The slow planes are Skypirates, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_XTB2D_Skypirate?wprov=sfla1, 2 prototypes built.

I sometimes play Midway with the superb Skyraiders...

Oink!

I'd use the Skyraiders on Midway if WG hadn't made them considerably worse than the BTD Destroyers.  The truth is that the USN didn't like the Skypirates nor BTD Destroyers, they never accepted them.  But the AD-1 was, and it soldiered on for decades for 3 of the United States' armed forces.

US Navy

1920px-AD_Skyraider_VA-195_USS_Princeton.jpg

US Air Force

A-1H Skyraider “Sandy” The U.S. Air Force used the naval A-1 Skyraider for the first time in Vietnam. As the Vietnam War progressed, USAF A-1s were painted in camouflage, while USN A-1 Skyraiders were gray/white in color; again, in contrast to the...

US Marine Corps

Lt. Col. John McCarthy – The Story of a USMC Combat Pilot ...

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×