You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow2k1

Help, and what not

35 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
873 battles

I dunno if any of the developers will read this, but i have a question to them.

I've been playing on and off for 2 years, and whenever i try to play Random, i always lose every match, every single time i queue up.

I'm not pro, i'll admit that.

But you shouldn't lose constantly, and i'm wondering why nobody will help other's who need help in random games.

The reason i play random, i need experience to upgrade my ships, and etc.

If i play Co op, i get anywhere from 50 - 100 experience, and i don't really find that to be a good way to get experience. So developers i'm asking, not because i'm curious.

But is there some way you can give better Experience, or something with Co Op ?

I lose non stop, and it's very very unfair, in my opinion. And no i'm not trolling, if i could show you my data, you would see, i lose or get sunk almost every match i play in random. Now seriously, we all lose, but i never win, all i do is lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, and so on.... Surely you can see how bad that can make someone feel irl, realizing they aren't a pro, and can't even play.

I don't hack, i don't mod, i don't steal accounts, i play fairly, but because i do that, i lose... and i just don't know what to do... I have nobody to help me friend wise either. Maybe i should just uninstall.

I've been stuck at Tier 5 for almost a year, and i can't really get any other higher tiers cuz i either lose, or get sunk every battle i go into. Again i'm no pro.... but whenever i ask for help... Nobody is willing to help me.

So can you Fix Co Op ? If nobody is willing to help, I guess my only option is to uninstall.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
2 minutes ago, Shadow2k1 said:

I've been playing on and off for 2 years, and whenever i try to play Random, i always lose every match, every single time i queue up.

But you shouldn't lose constantly, and i'm wondering why nobody will help other's who need help in random games.

If i play Co op, i get anywhere from 50 - 100 experience, and i don't really find that to be a good way to get experience. So developers i'm asking, not because i'm curious.

I lose non stop, and it's very very unfair, in my opinion. And no i'm not trolling, if i could show you my data, you would see, i lose or get sunk almost every match i play in random. Now seriously, we all lose, but i never win, all i do is lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, and so on.... Surely you can see how bad that can make someone feel irl, realizing they aren't a pro, and can't even play.

I don't hack, i don't mod, i don't steal accounts, i play fairly, but because i do that, i lose... and i just don't know what to do... I have nobody to help me friend wise either. Maybe i should just uninstall.

I've been stuck at Tier 5 for almost a year, and i can't really get any other higher tiers cuz i either lose, or get sunk every battle i go into. Again i'm no pro.... but whenever i ask for help... Nobody is willing to help me.

So can you Fix Co Op ? If nobody is willing to help, I guess my only option is to uninstall.

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

The short answer is, you've yet to build the combination of skill and experience to do well at the game yet.  That's fine, it will come.  

I have pasted some information below that might be of interest and assistance to you.  Also, I'd be happy to division up with you if we're online at the same time - just send me a message in-game. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions, otherwise, good luck! :)

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels.  USN carriers are somewhere in between - see @iChase 's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

• Cool 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,636 posts
4,999 battles
14 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Battleships: 

• British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
  • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games.

I strongly disagree with this recommendation.  In my opinion those are the two worst BB lines to start with as both teach bad habits.  The British let you get by just spamming HE and there are few things as wrong in the game as watching a Yamato fire nothing but HE for an entire match.  The Germans let you get away with bad positioning and maneuvers that ought to expose you to severe punishing and thus the player doesn't learn about angling and protecting your citadel.

In my opinion the best BB lines to start with are the original two BB lines, the Japanese and the Americans.  Both teach you the fundamentals of BB play.

• Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
10,675 posts
18,567 battles

In WOWS winning is no different then losing, it come with the experience of playing the current WOWS format.

I think you really have to adjust to the game/match, not the game has to adjust to you or tailor to you...

Never fear we have a lot of players with opinions to help you improve...

@Lord_Zath Send him a Replay or look over his past streams of a given ship.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai He has a library of content for you to review...

@LittleWhiteMouse Dont let her dancing Avatar fool you, he can do a vanilla review of content, ship you name it she reported it..

Now If you just want to lolz learn, then

@Yurobeat YT channel is the place to go.

I would recommend others but I forgot there names and channel (ops on my part)..

Its quicker for you to adapt, the DEvs, they're not going to change the current economy of the game. Not any time soon.

So take my advice... Learn fast...

GL

Edited by Navalpride33

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,183 posts
16,906 battles

Well, the OP only has 630 battles under his belt. The best advice is to pick the ships that he enjoys playing at the low tiers and stick with them. You don't even get a feel for this game until you're a few thousand battles in. Learning the mechanics, strategy, maps, positioning, ships strengths and weaknesses, etc takes time and experience. Watch some Youtube videos from experienced players, work on your ship and captain builds (always go for survival builds at the start) and don't push early in the match. Also, stay at the low tiers and don't push to upper tiers too soon. It's all about the number of matches, not how long ago you first signed in. 

To all those who hate on paying players... | Video Game Logic ...

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
4 hours ago, Helstrem said:

I strongly disagree with this recommendation.  In my opinion those are the two worst BB lines to start with as both teach bad habits.  The British let you get by just spamming HE and there are few things as wrong in the game as watching a Yamato fire nothing but HE for an entire match.  The Germans let you get away with bad positioning and maneuvers that ought to expose you to severe punishing and thus the player doesn't learn about angling and protecting your citadel.

In my opinion the best BB lines to start with are the original two BB lines, the Japanese and the Americans.  Both teach you the fundamentals of BB play.

Sigh, thanks for rolling out your usual trope.  You know, if you actually wanted to be helpful you could develop your own new player guides instead of raining on mine every single time.  

Regardless, I'll copy paste my response to your points from the other threads that this has been raised.  

For instance, RN Battleships have the major advantage that new players dont need to fret about ammunition choice whilst they are still learning so much more about the game - whether its the maps, where to go, how to even accurately aim etc.  A pretty easy way to lose new players is through their guns doing no damage (eg, an AP bounce) whilst the enemy seems to be able to do massive damage to them (eg, AP citadel through the broadside).  At least with RN battleships, shooting HE isnt irrational and will still do material damage to enemy ships (and set fires).  They can learn the benefits of AP with other battleship lines as  they become a bit more experienced.  Similarly, with German battleships, they are less likely to take devastating AP cits through the broadside when positioning badly, because they are generally well armoured ships - keeping them in the fight for longer, being more forgiving, and giving them more time to learn how to play the game well before quitting in frustration. 

The US and IJN battleship lines arent bad, but at low tier they are god-awful.  

If you didnt like UK and German BBs, I'd recommend the French over US and IJN at low tiers, at least.  

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,067 posts
36,061 battles
37 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Totally agree with this. IJN is best with fast ships, good guns, and so-so armor that punishes errors.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
1 hour ago, Shadow2k1 said:

My youtube channel is in the link, take a look.  I also have a Discord server set up focused on helping guys as well.

Heres an invite there if interested:  https://discord.gg/3Mm85HN

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

I think it awesome that you asked for help.  So many would leave the game and find something else.

Stats are horrid things.  Logic would like to say that a win/loss should be 50%.  However it is possible (and happens all the time) where the outcome of the game (e.g. win/loss) is 100% out of you control.  

Unfortunately run-away wins (and Losses) are part of the WarGaming products.   IMHO WOWS gets fun at tier 4-5, when uptiered to tier 7 try to follow someone in a higher level ship to see places to go etc etc.

GL

:cap_like:

[INTEL]
Members
13,067 posts
36,061 battles
2 hours ago, Shadow2k1 said:

I would start by going down to a lower tier IJN DD and just playing. Not worrying about win rate or damage, just playing to the point where you can meaningfully affect the outcome of the match. I played 00s of games in Umikaze, until winning became a regular event. I put it down just before the German cruisers entered WOWs, and never looked back. 

IJN DDs will teach you to read the minimap, give you situational awareness, give you skills in patience and gunnery. They will teach you how to use islands and stealth, and once you understand them, you will be able to play BBs and cruisers much better knowing how competent DD captains think. Then you can move up the IJN or French BB lines. I would put off cruiser play for a bit, they require some touch to play well. 

Good luck!

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Totally agree with this. IJN is best with fast ships, good guns, and so-so armor that punishes errors.

Why would that be good for a new player?  The good guns, sure - but you do need to have good ammunition selection until the pattern of overpens, bounces and citadels are worked out.  But having the speed to get into trouble, and no armour to save them when they get into that trouble is a recipie for getting trounced.  Which is not fun...

Also, the Kawachi was awful :p.  

I wonder if you've all forgotted what this game is really like when you were brand new and everything was really unclear? 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
8 hours ago, Shadow2k1 said:

we can see your stats op...  you don't lose every game, but you also don't do much damage...  (just looking at BB's)  pick a nation and ship line you like and stay with that one until you learn how best to position, get a feel for the guns etc, if you keep flipping between class and nation particularly gunnery can vary alot. 

follow the advice above, (highly recommend ichase's how to get good series) you got lucky you weren't attacked by the forum :cap_win:

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

you got lucky you weren't attacked by the forum

I dunno, this forum seems better than most when it comes to players asking for help to improve.  Its when those players come here demanding nerfs and buffs (eg to fires, torps etc) that they tend to get flamed a bit - particularly when their suggestions have no basis in balance.  

[O_O]
Members
6,450 posts
15,349 battles

When I started playing, I wasn't in a big rush to advance to higher tiers.  I played lower tier ships a lot until I began to really understand different mechanics and how to maximize them.  I played cruisers and destroyers heavily at first, but forced myself to play battleships to learn their role.  I became pretty competent with all three ship types, which really helped me know how to best counter each type.  Eventually, I even dabbled with CV's a bit because there are some mission tasks that require them.

I intentionally avoided Tier 8 and up for quite a while.  I think it helped me learn.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

When I started playing, I wasn't in a big rush to advance to higher tiers.  I played lower tier ships a lot until I began to really understand different mechanics and how to maximize them.  I played cruisers and destroyers heavily at first, but forced myself to play battleships to learn their role.  I became pretty competent with all three ship types, which really helped me know how to best counter each type.  Eventually, I even dabbled with CV's a bit because there are some mission tasks that require them.

I intentionally avoided Tier 8 and up for quite a while.  I think it helped me learn.

to add to this... high tier play isn't anymore 'fun' than low tier either... in many ways low tier offers a player more options for gameplay IMO and without gimmicks and gadgetry it is a simpler game.  

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles

I play better now than when I first started playing.

It takes time to learn to play well.  And I'm still learning.

The other posters on this discussion-thread have provided some good links to comprehensive amounts of information.  I suggest "doing the homework".

This, WOWs, is a game we play for fun in our spare time.  I suggest treating it like a "hobby".  

Good luck.  Have fun.  :-)

[WOLFG]
Members
29,056 posts
8,308 battles
5 hours ago, Shadow2k1 said:

First of all, you need to be honest with yourself. It may seem like you never win, but the fact is, you win 43% of the time.

You came here and asked for help, people will help you.

This is the wrong outlook. Randoms is a whole different game than Co-op, as humans are unpredictable, and can decide to shoot you even if you aren't a DD or the closest opponent.

Don't play Randoms just for the rewards. If you get better at the basics, you'll get better rewards, even in Co-op.

I lose non stop, and it's very very unfair, in my opinion. And no i'm not trolling, if i could show you my data, you would see, i lose or get sunk almost every match i play in random.

We can see your data. Lately, you've won 1/3 of your games. As for getting sunk, yes, that happens a lot, but getting sunk isn't necessarily a bad thing, (it doesn't cost you any more than not getting sunk) you just don't want to be sunk early.

I don't hack, i don't mod, i don't steal accounts, i play fairly, but because i do that, i lose...

Nope, it happens because you're a bad player. I don't say that to make you feel bad, but to tell you that it's a you problem, and as such, one you can fix.

and i just don't know what to do... I have nobody to help me friend wise either. Maybe i should just uninstall.

You've got several offers of help here in this thread, I suggest you take them.

but whenever i ask for help... Nobody is willing to help me.

Nobody has time to help some random person in-game on a whim. People here have offered to help with that.

You can improve, if you're willing to put in the effort. If you aren't, maybe uninstalling is your best option. No shame in that, this game isn't for everyone. I've tried plenty of games only a few times, because they just weren't for me.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,089 battles
6 hours ago, Helstrem said:

What the actual fudge?  By that skewed logic, the best way to learn battleships is to play heavy cruisers -- you know, teach you about overmatching, how to angle, kite, dynamic ammunition choice, the dangers of torpedoes, etc.  Enough of this battleship easy-mode on learning battleships!

Or, and this is crazy so hear me out:  You can let the low-skill floor ships do what they're meant to do and make the game more accessible to allow inexperienced players to enjoy some success early on.  They'll plateau early, but at least they've had time to get the important basics down -- namely positioning, target priority and aiming.  We can stack on the dozens of other skills experienced players take for granted after the fundamentals are secured and they're actually enjoying their experience in World of Warships again.

• Cool 4

[BIER]
Members
176 posts
8,845 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

What the actual fudge?  By that skewed logic, the best way to learn battleships is to play heavy cruisers -- you know, teach you about overmatching, how to angle, kite, dynamic ammunition choice, the dangers of torpedoes, etc.  Enough of this battleship easy-mode on learning battleships!

Or, and this is crazy so hear me out:  You can let the low-skill floor ships do what they're meant to do and make the game more accessible to allow inexperienced players to enjoy some success early on.  They'll plateau early, but at least they've had time to get the important basics down -- namely positioning, target priority and aiming.  We can stack on the dozens of other skills experienced players take for granted after the fundamentals are secured and they're actually enjoying their experience in World of Warships again.

I an agree with you on the cruiser thing. When I started, the original British cruiser had just come out. I figured it why not start with the newest ships. Learning how to play those glass ship (particularly the Eddy and Neptune) with out getting one-shotted taught me all the skills you listed. 

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,909 posts
21,011 battles

o/

[INTEL]
Members
13,067 posts
36,061 battles
10 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Why would that be good for a new player?  The good guns, sure - but you do need to have good ammunition selection until the pattern of overpens, bounces and citadels are worked out.  But having the speed to get into trouble, and no armour to save them when they get into that trouble is a recipie for getting trounced.  Which is not fun...

Also, the Kawachi was awful :p.  

I wonder if you've all forgotted what this game is really like when you were brand new and everything was really unclear? 

Maybe. It's changed so much too. Harder to learn now with so much Sky Cancer negating good play and dragging teams down. The devs suck for forcing that crap down our throats. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

no idea why your getting such low xp, post a replay for others to critique?

one nugget of wisdom i can give is, never be the first ship enemy see's. being focused by three+ ships is usually bad thing :Smile-_tongue:

Members
3,585 posts
12,985 battles
3 minutes ago, Ozium said:

no idea why your getting such low xp, post a replay for others to critique?

one nugget of wisdom i can give is, never be the first ship enemy see's. being focused by three+ ships is usually bad thing :Smile-_tongue:

His stats give it away.

OP, others have given you good resources to attempt to get better. Now it's up to you. Gather what you can from the resources provided and learn from your mistakes and experience. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
4 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

His stats give it away.

stats correlate effect but not cause,  hence my "no idea why"

• Confused 1

Members
3,585 posts
12,985 battles
5 minutes ago, Ozium said:

stats correlate effect but not cause, so your mistaken ...

lol.

He's playing T2 and averaging like 2k dmg per game. Again it's obvious why his XP output is so low.

edit: The resources provided by the other posters hopefully will help him. His issues are either a combination of positioning, aiming, or being overly aggressive and yoloing.

Edited by Rollingonit