You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JinglePirates

Over Powered Ships

12 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
3,110 battles

Hey guys,

So let me start off by saying that I am nowhere near a good player, and that a lot of my strategy involves trying to get close to others to beat them with my preferred  bulky German BBs. For example, I can't play British BBs as I actually like to press the 'w' key and not click my mouse every 30 seconds or so. Well, this is besides the point as I am merely trying to get a feel for what everyone thinks is an over powered ship and needs fixing. I find it interesting for those with different strategies find different ships over powered. So if anyone just wants to vent about frustrating ships and about their strategies to deal with them, this could be the place to do it. Also, to all those who will comment saying that I am just a bad player and just need to "get good", I am well aware that I am bad so we can joke about it together!

• Confused 2

[FML]
Members
3,943 posts
15,508 battles
1 hour ago, JinglePirates said:

Hey guys,

So let me start off by saying that I am nowhere near a good player, and that a lot of my strategy involves trying to get close to others to beat them with my preferred  bulky German BBs. For example, I can't play British BBs as I actually like to press the 'w' key and not click my mouse every 30 seconds or so. Well, this is besides the point as I am merely trying to get a feel for what everyone thinks is an over powered ship and needs fixing. I find it interesting for those with different strategies find different ships over powered. So if anyone just wants to vent about frustrating ships and about their strategies to deal with them, this could be the place to do it. Also, to all those who will comment saying that I am just a bad player and just need to "get good", I am well aware that I am bad so we can joke about it together!

I was seriously considering letting this one fly through to the keeper, but I thought I'd help you out a bit instead.  

Firstly, just because a ship's overall performance suggests that it is OP, doesnt mean that any player can just jump in and overperform in her.  The closest thing that overperforms regardless of who is in it is probably the Guilio Cesare (T5 Italian Battleship - no longer for sale).  

Similarly, just because a ship is considered underpowered, doesnt mean that a good player cant dive in and do well in her.  Unlike WoT,  WoWS generally enables bottom tier ships to still do material damage to top tier ships through good positioning, timing and teamwork.  

The key to performing well in any ship that you are in, and to countering any ship that opposes you, is a clear understanding of its role.  You may wish to see my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide  - hopefully it will help you become more flexible.  

Other resources that may be of assistance to you are below: 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles

There are only a few truly over powered ships and they are in the rare category and only found in crates. Now there are some ships that have a high skill floor which make them seem over powered but in the hands of lesser players are not.

Members
167 posts
2,919 battles

I have the Giulio Cesare as a gift for coming back to the game and I have the Konig Albert which I purchased 4? years ago. Both aren't available to buy anymore because of their imbalances. I find the Roma  to be incredibly powerful as well. I dont have the Alaska yet but I hear that and the Kronstadt are very over powered. 

[BSL]
Members
1,202 posts
20,878 battles

Most of the "overpowered" ships are quite mediocre until you spend a while figuring them out.  In fact I got killed a lot in Belfast until the ship got smart enough to work right.

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,060 battles
17 minutes ago, jondoom said:

I have the Giulio Cesare as a gift for coming back to the game and I have the Konig Albert which I purchased 4? years ago. Both aren't available to buy anymore because of their imbalances. I find the Roma  to be incredibly powerful as well. I dont have the Alaska yet but I hear that and the Kronstadt are very over powered. 

I do not think I would put the kron in the OP range with its wonky dispersion. I would say the alaska is a great ship from what i have seen and I do not have 1 (thought about it) I don't know about grossly OP, refer to Brushwolf post

Members
3 posts
3,110 battles
19 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I was seriously considering letting this one fly through to the keeper, but I thought I'd help you out a bit instead.  

Firstly, just because a ship's overall performance suggests that it is OP, doesnt mean that any player can just jump in and overperform in her.  The closest thing that overperforms regardless of who is in it is probably the Guilio Cesare (T5 Italian Battleship - no longer for sale).  

Similarly, just because a ship is considered underpowered, doesnt mean that a good player cant dive in and do well in her.  Unlike WoT,  WoWS generally enables bottom tier ships to still do material damage to top tier ships through good positioning, timing and teamwork.  

The key to performing well in any ship that you are in, and to countering any ship that opposes you, is a clear understanding of its role.  You may wish to see my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide  - hopefully it will help you become more flexible.  

Other resources that may be of assistance to you are below: 

Thank you, I'll definitely have to check this out. Also, I was mainly referring to the Conqueror, as with my GF, I can't touch the ship. As it sits in the back, I always try to engage it first and sail closer to it, however I am always burned to the ground before my secondaries can even touch it. I also know never to use my extinguisher on anything less than 2 fires however it never seems to matter. Anyway, I'm just a bad player venting. Thanks for taking the time to help! Much appreciated.

Members
246 posts
310 battles
2 hours ago, JinglePirates said:

As it sits in the back, I always try to engage it first and sail closer to it, however I am always burned to the ground before my secondaries can even touch it.

A lot of people make the mistake of over-relying on their secondaries with German BBs.

It will never do enough damage in a short enough amount of time to bail you out of positions you put yourself into thinking you will be able to tank.

Members
3 posts
3,110 battles
1 hour ago, KosmicRavioli said:

A lot of people make the mistake of over-relying on their secondaries with German BBs.

It will never do enough damage in a short enough amount of time to bail you out of positions you put yourself into thinking you will be able to tank.

Yeah it seems so, I have to learn patience so use them to finish off target later in the game rather than trying to use them from the beginning.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,219 posts
5,696 battles
On 4/25/2020 at 6:47 AM, JinglePirates said:

Hey guys,

Oink Goltz!!! I think over powered ships tend to be unbalanced ships... It takes some time to learn playing their strengths and their weaknesses. After, it takes also some time to learn how to counter them. My impression is that there is a full range of balanced ships and all new ships tend to be highly unbalanced. Oink! 

Members
104 posts
435 battles
On 4/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, JinglePirates said:

Hey guys,

I would suggest watching YouTube videos from Noster - he is one of the best World of Warship players around and he does guides on all the shops in the game. He'll really help you out. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrNotser

Members
246 posts
310 battles
52 minutes ago, Trollphoon said:

I would suggest watching YouTube videos from Noster - he is one of the best World of Warship players around and he does guides on all the shops in the game. He'll really help you out. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrNotser

True. Nestor best player in the universe by far.