You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Konig_Potata

IFHE on Massachusetts? Georgia?

29 comments in this topic

[SAMPS]
Members
17 posts
6,455 battles

Hi all!

Was wondering if I should purchase the Massachusetts. 

The only reason why I would purchase the Mass. would be for its secondaries, which were nerfed by the IFHE rework. 

1. Do you still use IFHE on Massachusetts or Georgia?

2. Is Massachusetts still worth buying after the IFHE change(or save the doubloons)? I already plan to get Georgia as soon as I get that next coal coupon. 

Note that I don't spend money on this game, instead I've slowly accumulated 13k doubloons over 3 years, and was wondering if Mass is worth it. 

Thanks!

[WOLF5]
Members
1,072 posts
8,906 battles

1) No, not anymore....

2) Yes, totally....

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
14 minutes ago, ECPcharles said:

Hi all!

The only reason why I would purchase the Mass. would be for its secondaries, which were nerfed by the IFHE rework. 

2. Is Massachusetts still worth buying after the IFHE change(or save the doubloons)? I already plan to get Georgia as soon as I get that next coal coupon. 

Note that I don't spend money on this game, instead I've slowly accumulated 13k doubloons over 3 years, and was wondering if Mass is worth it. 

Thanks!

1. Yes. You need it to be able to damage Bow and stern armor from cruisers tier 8 and higher.

2. Yes, she is one of the best balanced premium (fun to play, good at what it's doing, not op).

After looking at it it does not offer lot, so no, IFHE is not worth it

Edited by Y_Nagato

[-KIA-]
Members
818 posts
10,873 battles

1: No, if you want your secondaries to do some damage, then only you can hope that it makes a fire on your enemy.
2: Yes, worth it still...

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,539 battles
13 minutes ago, ECPcharles said:

Hi all!

Thanks!

1. IFHE on the Mass, I would'nt spend 4 cpt. points on IFHE for secondary builds... I would recommend Manual secondary aiming skill instead.
  2. Are you going to play high tiers on the regular basis ???
    • If yes, buy it.
    • IF no, pass on both.

Members
1,052 posts
4,376 battles

IFHE is kinda useless on Brawling BBs these days. Massa has the ability to consistently stack fires and deal superstructure damage, so you really don't want to take away one of those for a benefit that is largely questionable. I mean, sure, you can penetrate American and German Heavy cruiser plating, but that's just the bow and stern. Otherwise it's totally useless. As @Navalpride33 pointed out, you are much better off picking Manual Fire control to boost that delicious Massa accuracy even further.

If you want IFHE on a BB, take it on the Bismarck, Tirpitz, or Freddy. It boosts the penetration from 26mm to 32mm, which is arguably more workable than just having 27mm penetration

:SerB:

Members
4,352 posts
11,259 battles

Some CCs and players still recommend IFHE on Mass because it crosses the 25 and 26mm plating thresholds for mid tier battleships (since you do see a lot of t6 and 7 ships that are coated in 26mm and lower plating) and high tier cruisers, but not on Georgia or Ohio anymore since you get very little benefit in pen. Personally I wouldn’t recommend running it anymore on any of them, since usn secondaries are more about setting fires and will tend to aim center mass more than the Germans (so you’ll either be hitting superstructure that you pen anyway or belt which you’ll shatter on no matter what). And that way, if you build a secondary or secondary hybrid captain it would work on both Mass and Georgia.

That being said, if you like brawling battleships, Mass is still a super fun ship and definitely worth getting (as is Georgia). 

Members
246 posts
310 battles
48 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

1. Yes. You need it to be able to damage Bow and stern armor from cruisers tier 8 and higher.

No.

Secondaries aim for the centre point. It is pretty hard to get consistent bow/stern hits with any secondaries in the game, but with secondaries as accurate as GA's and MA's, it's damn near impossible.

You're wasting 4 points there.

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
1 minute ago, KosmicRavioli said:

No.

Secondaries aim for the centre point. It is pretty hard to get consistent bow/stern hits with any secondaries in the game, but with secondaries as accurate as GA's and MA's, it's damn near impossible.

You're wasting 4 points there.

I corrected myself about the penetration.

And if you are somewhat correct, keep in mind than angled ship will be hit on the bow, and if the ship is crazy enough to show you its broadside you got 16'' bad news for him.

Members
246 posts
310 battles
1 minute ago, Y_Nagato said:

I corrected myself about the penetration.

And if you are somewhat correct, keep in mind than angled ship will be hit on the bow, and if the ship is crazy enough to show you its broadside you got 16'' bad news for him.

I am completely correct.

And IFHE on any gun that is unable to pen a minimum of 32mm at high tiers is a waste, both pre and post-rework.

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
Just now, KosmicRavioli said:

I am completely correct.

And IFHE on any gun that is unable to pen a minimum of 32mm at high tiers is a waste, both pre and post-rework.

Only if the ships decide to do a great broadside. Again, as long as they try to angle against you the majority will hit the bow/ stern thanks to the angle.

And no, IFHE is also useful when you need to cross the 19mm line in order to damage destroyers.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
1 hour ago, ECPcharles said:

Hi all!

Thanks!

Yes, definitely.

The only reason to get Mass is if you run IFHE.  If you don’t, you might as well get Alabama instead.

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
18 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

And no, IFHE is also useful when you need to cross the 19mm line in order to damage destroyers.

And in what ships might you need that?

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles

And in what ships might you need that?

Alsace, Richelieu, Gascogne, Bourgogne.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,987 posts
20,690 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

2. Yes, she is one of the best balanced premium (fun to play, good at what it's doing, not op).

After looking at it it does not offer lot, so no, IFHE is not worth it

Secondaries auto target middle of ship , but maneuvers made by targeted ship can lead to hits all over.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,987 posts
20,690 battles
1 hour ago, ECPcharles said:

Hi all!

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't use IFHE.

Fire prevention is a mutch better choice.

I don't use manual secondaries on Massachusetts due to her increased accuracy. 

Besides, firing off on both sides is so juicy, and my secondaries popping off have alerted me to the presence of a dd so many times.

Members
246 posts
310 battles
3 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Alsace, Richelieu, Gascogne, Bourgogne.

For a second there I feared you were going to say the Jutland and Daring.

As for these ships you mentioned; I wouldn't recommend building for secondaries in the first place. Only the Republique and maybe the Bourgogne for the memes.

Even then, they are very fragile. It only takes a few salvos from a cruiser (or one well-placed salvo from a Conq or Thunderer) to take most of them out of commission. And you have awesome main guns that can benefit more from building into them anyway.

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
1 minute ago, KosmicRavioli said:

For a second there I feared you were going to say the Jutland and Daring.

As for these ships you mentioned; I wouldn't recommend building for secondaries in the first place. Only the Republique and maybe the Bourgogne for the memes.

Even then, they are very fragile. It only takes a few salvos from a cruiser (or one well-placed salvo from a Conq or Thunderer) to take most of them out of commission. And you have awesome main guns that can benefit more from building into them anyway.

Sure, but they have some of the best secondary for their tier so it's a give or take. Not optimal but funny.

And Bourgogne is a worst choice than Alsace for that: they have the same secondaries, but Alsace is a tier lower. Gascogne also have similar secondaries, with less range (some 10km range instead of 11).

Members
246 posts
310 battles
2 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

And Bourgogne is a worst choice than Alsace for that: they have the same secondaries...

Bourgogne has 127mm (with almost twice the fire chance) compared to Alsace's 100mm, no?

You don't need to spend on IFHE, if nothing else.

Edited by KosmicRavioli

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles

Bourgogne has 127mm (with almost twice the fire chance) compared to Alsace's 100mm, no?

damn missed that. Was sure that she had the same 105mm secondaries. Well then sure she is quite a beast in fire power, but she is the squishiest bb at tier 10 so...

Members
246 posts
310 battles
Just now, Y_Nagato said:

damn missed that. Was sure that she had the same 105mm secondaries. Well then sure she is quite a beast in fire power, but she is the squishiest bb at tier 10 so...

Like I said; only for the memes.

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,172 battles

Most of this talk about high tier French BBs and IFHE and brawling.

All I know is I learned more about brawling from a full Secondary Normandie than I ever did from anything ‘classic’ and German.

The high tier French BBs have been kind of fun in the PT, but I don’t much care for them.

[AN2AC]
Members
106 posts
8,273 battles
33 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I don't use manual secondaries on Massachusetts due to her increased accuracy. 

Besides, firing off on both sides is so juicy, and my secondaries popping off have alerted me to the presence of a dd so many times.

I get what you are saying here, I tried it a while back. But 60% less dispersion really puts the shells on target ...  providing your remember to target the ship and are not bow on. I have missed the odd DD that has come into range.

I kinda wished the secondaries fired normal then when you want to focus you can with the MFC.

Members
42 posts
6,144 battles

The secondaries on the Mass and the Georgia has been changed to only 26mm of penetration after the  ihfe rework.

Edited by SkinnyK