Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Orkan is a winner

64 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,913
[NH]
Members
1,770 posts

I'm at work at the moment so I dont have all the details but... 

It has 5.9km detection with CE and 1 quad rack of the weak damage torps. Range on them is 12k and the reload is 70 seconds. The guns reload kind of slower than the rest of the EU DDs but you have triple turrets instead of two. It also has an odd secondary gun that reaches out to 5.6 with AFT. The heal is super weak but its got an engine boost and radar.

Now I know it looks mediocre but having radar at T8 on a DD is super OP when its possible to face T6. this thing just murders DDs. Against BBs  ive never lit so many fires with so little shells. Its seems very easy to start a flood with a torp then a fire with the guns as soon as they use DCP. These are the 1.6k detection fast torps so they are quite good for their tier.

This thing is so much fun. On the second game out I came in at 90k damage and topped the charts due to sinking 2 DDs and a BB.

 

Edit: forgot it has the 360 degree turrets like the Friesland and rudder shift is 3.7 sec. Its not a fat pig.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Cool 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[WOLFX]
Members
62 posts
13,992 battles

Ban non CV_complainers.... joking

I just got Orkan ex-HMS Myrmidon, looks very promising. It will be my alt Cossack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,913
[NH]
Members
1,770 posts
34 minutes ago, 99_Luftdoubloons said:

Ban non CV_complainers.... joking

I just got Orkan ex-HMS Myrmidon, looks very promising. It will be my alt Cossack.

Very similar feel compared to the Cossack. I would say calling it The Euro Cossack would be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,070 posts
11,663 battles
1 hour ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

The guns reload kind of slower than the rest of the EU DDs...

Eh, no.  Six of the DDs it outperforms, not not the rest.  But I’ll take RPM over number of guns because of the low HE damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,660 posts
2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I'm at work at the moment so I dont have all the details but... 

It has 5.9km detection with CE and 1 quad rack of the weak damage torps. Range on them is 12k and the reload is 70 seconds. The guns reload kind of slower than the rest of the EU DDs but you have triple turrets instead of two. It also has an odd secondary gun that reaches out to 5.6 with AFT. The heal is super weak but its got an engine boost and radar.

Now I know it looks mediocre but having radar at T8 on a DD is super OP when its possible to face T6. this thing just murders DDs. Against BBs  ive never lit so many fires with so little shells. Its seems very easy to start a flood with a torp then a fire with the guns as soon as they use DCP. These are the 1.6k detection fast torps so they are quite good for their tier.

This thing is so much fun. On the second game out I came in at 90k damage and topped the charts due to sinking 2 DDs and a BB.

 

Edit: forgot it has the 360 degree turrets like the Friesland and rudder shift is 3.7 sec. Its not a fat pig.

Interesting.  My impression thus far is that they die faster and are easier to kill then Orlands are.  I don't mind running into them with my Asashio.  Could be people just getting used to them though.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
spelling/typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
144
[WOLF9]
Members
665 posts
18,984 battles

Well, I went ahead and bought the Orkan.

I am NOT a DD player at all, but I do collect the Polish Navy, so that is my justification. 

At 15.3k hp, it feels REALLY tiny out there.  It does have a heal, and radar, but no smoke. 

Not sure what to do with it, I charged with it right out of the gate.  It seemed fast and it is very manuverable.   I didn't last long, but I did manage to take a DD down with me (co-op).  I think I need a better captain spec on the boat, and maybe better modules (definitely a better driver at the keyboard, but I digress).

Any suggestions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

She's good, just high skill floor with no smoke to disengage.  She has excellent DPM and can outfight most other DDs at tier 1 vs 1.  Her gun range is actually to far... making disengaging with no smoke easier with the line ships.  She handles like a Lightning, and the torps are very good for what they are... more useful than the one rack on Kidd.  Her main focus should be countering enemy DDs and making strategic use of the radar for other ships to take advantage of (if you save it only for yourself, you won't do as well).  If you play a lot of tier 8, she's a good pick.  If you have Smaland, you can use the Smaland captain on her, they play almost exactly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
989
[RKLES]
Members
807 posts

I am done spending on this game, I gave them plenty, I got a product that kept and keeps on changing for the worst.

 

  • Cool 8
  • Boring 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,640
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,666 posts
14,778 battles

It's straight up better than the T8 and T9 in the tree.

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
145 posts
2,018 battles

its not op, the weak torps with 1 set of 4 makes its limited considering it has carrier torps basically.

its a smokeless cossack  with cossack guns with a single set of torps that hit like carrier torps. the radar doesnt last long and its shorter range than most radar, in reality if ya charging smoke you probably want hydro cuz its lasts alot longer.

in reality you probably want the cossack instead of this dd. ships will be afraid of cossack torps. and you get smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
301
[PHD]
Members
1,516 posts
6,484 battles

How is the AA?

Seems like it might be like the mid tier European DDs keep your distance and harass larger ships and use your hydro and radar to hunt DDs. Not a dev strike type of ship?

Radio position location (or whatever WG calls it. Me, radio direction finder) might be a useful skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
304
[WOLFC]
Members
489 posts
6,440 battles
13 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

How is the AA?

Seems like it might be like the mid tier European DDs keep your distance and harass larger ships and use your hydro and radar to hunt DDs. Not a dev strike type of ship?

Radio position location (or whatever WG calls it. Me, radio direction finder) might be a useful skill.

The AA is slightly better than Lightning (but not by much). One of the torpedo racks is replaced with an AA/secondary gun. Differences between it and Lightning at a glance:

Spec Orkan Lightning
Main armament 3x2 120mm/50-4.5s reload 3x2 120mm/50-5s reload
Torpedoes 1x4 12km/76kts/70s 2x4 8km/61kts/96s
HP 15700 15900 (B hull)
AAA rating 27 22
Range 11.6km 12.2km (mod 2)
Speed 35kts 36kts
Turning circle 590m 590m
Rudder shift 3.7s 5.3s
Consumable 1 DCP DCP
Consumable 2 Engine boost 8%/120s Smoke Generator
Consumable 3 Repair Party +157/20s Hydroacoustic Search
Consumable 4 Radar 7.5km/20s ---

There are likely more, but for that you'll need to wait for someone like Little White Mouse to do a proper writeup. As best I can see, it's a good DD hunter, but vulnerable if you over extend. You don't have smoke to get out of trouble, and the AAA isn't going to swat planes like a Kidd or Oland. With the EU torpedoes, you'll likely have better luck hunting Destroyers and Cruisers near caps, as opposed to Battleship and Carrier hunting.

That said, I've done pretty well with it the first couple times I've taken it into coop, which is where I'm keeping it until I fill the module slots. My guess there is that a build similar to Lightning will work out pretty well.

Edited by Nolo_00
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[-1]
Members
697 posts
9,956 battles
59 minutes ago, Munificient_Mumfurt said:

in reality you probably want the cossack instead of this dd. ships will be afraid of cossack torps. and you get smoke.

And what a smoke it is--5-6 short smokes ideal to hide from planes and other ships--just because of this I consider Cossack a much better ship. And yes, I was lucky to buy Cossack for $1, which is $1 spent very well )))

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,149
[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,708 posts
16 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

What’s the range on her radar?

7.5km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
598
[UEFN]
Members
1,336 posts
23,072 battles

Loyang is a better DD than this thing to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[FAE]
Members
2,610 posts
3,593 battles

geez, what a massive box of unnecessary gimmicks lol. I mean the biggest downside is no smoke of course, and that IS huge. But really? 8.5km radar (someone confirm?) on a T8? That's better than the Radar on the T10 YY. What gives? And YY doesn't have smoke either for radar. 

The fast torpedoes on the pan eu are nigh unbelievable. physics warping lol. 

 

---

I'd be much happier about this boat if it came along with a review and update to old-dated lines like IJN and PA DDs, but yesh.  

Generally also the way above physics of Pan EU torp speed and RU BB turret traverse and UK CA mobility is not my cup of tea. All of these shouldn't be a direction for the game. 

Edited by BlailBlerg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
713 posts
5,735 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

geez, what a massive box of unnecessary gimmicks lol. I mean the biggest downside is no smoke of course, and that IS huge. But really? 8.5km radar (someone confirm?) on a T8? That's better than the Radar on the T10 YY. What gives? And YY doesn't have smoke either for radar. 

The fast torpedoes on the pan eu are nigh unbelievable. physics warping lol. 

 

---

I'd be much happier about this boat if it came along with a review and update to old-dated lines like IJN and PA DDs, but yesh.  

Generally also the way above physics of Pan EU torp speed and RU BB turret traverse and UK CA mobility is not my cup of tea. All of these shouldn't be a direction for the game. 

7.5km radar.  And the fast torps hit like wet noodles.  One the fence with this one, looks like a Lightning that trades smoke for radar.  Not sure they are dissimilar enough to justify, nevermind that Orkan doesn't look like a good trainer for the rest of the line as it looks to be a gunboat first.  Might be usable with a Friesland captain though.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[FAE]
Members
2,610 posts
3,593 battles
7 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

7.5km radar.  And the fast torps hit like wet noodles.  One the fence with this one, looks like a Lightning that trades smoke for radar.  Not sure they are dissimilar enough to justify, nevermind that Orkan doesn't look like a good trainer for the rest of the line as it looks to be a gunboat first.  Might be usable with a Friesland captain though.

mm, ok, 7.5 

 

I did actually beat one in a T-61. Not a straight duel, but I basically stuck in his radar range the whole time, let my self be radar 5 times, and my team killed him. Considering T-61s def range is 6.1 and Orkan's is 5.9 that's pretty rough. This player might not have had CE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,062
[ARGSY]
Members
20,180 posts
14,348 battles
9 hours ago, Nolo_00 said:

Differences between it and Lightning at a glance:

You have an obvious typo there; the main armament calibre should be 120mm, not 130. 130mm is the Russian destroyer gun calibre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
829
[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,963 battles
12 hours ago, mofton said:

It's straight up better than the T8 and T9 in the tree.

The slower guns would indicate otherwise. The gimmick is the radar.    Not worth the Dubs.

 

Only seen 1 so far - my Friesland melted it within 10 seconds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×