You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Had a FDR in game!

43 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts

The team was terrablr as the DD decided to die to gun fire in 5 min.

The rockets seemed to have a different flight path than Midway but might have been my POV.

The planes look glacierly slow.

• Boring 2

[GRAVE]
Members
1,271 posts
18,799 battles
12 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

The rockets seemed to have a different flight path than Midway but might have been my POV.

The rockets launch in along conga line 60 rockets long

and yes, her planes go at best about 150knts, glacially slow for T10 standards. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,076 posts
23,845 battles

What kind of ships were the AP rocket planes of FDR going after?  How effective?  Wouldn't surprise me if those AP rockets are expressly made for smashing Cruisers.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
Just now, tfcas119 said:

Kind of like the carped bombing.

It really seems like a meh cv.  The planes are sooooo slowwww you could drop a fighter over them and they would have to recall. 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,906 battles
17 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I thought it was docked in Guam?

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

What kind of ships were the AP rocket planes of FDR going after?  How effective?  Wouldn't surprise me if those AP rockets are expressly made for smashing Cruisers.

He went for a Des it appered to do no damage.

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles

I want this carrier for namesake I am jelly :fish_cute_2: 

Edited by LastRemnant

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,414 posts
15,870 battles

Hmm interesting. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,076 posts
23,845 battles
5 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

He went for a Des it appered to do no damage.

Interesting, I would have thought they would have been ideal for dealing with the more lighter armored Cruisers, better targets than heavily armored Battleships.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Interesting, I would have thought they would have been ideal for dealing with the more lighter armored Cruisers, better targets than heavily armored Battleships.

Personaly I dont want ap rockets and dombs because you have to defence against DD.  You can try and torp them but thats more than difficult.

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,074 battles

I loved having the FDR on the reds as I was in a dd. Completely left me alone

[WOLF3]
Members
27,076 posts
23,845 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Personaly I dont want ap rockets and dombs because you have to defence against DD.  You can try and torp them but thats more than difficult.

I can understand that.  It's just we're at a point in the game that the gimmicks to differentiate newer ships from older ones is only going to get weirder and weirder as time progresses.

For example, "Why would I get FDR if it's basically the same as my Midway?"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

FDR doesn't have AP rockets, she's armed with HVAR.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,585 posts
15,711 battles

Good point about DD defense. 

I haven't seen a video of it I am currious if the torpedo format is exactly the same as the Midway's

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

As far as I know, there is one FDR video on youtube (1 game but 4 different clips) posted a week ago from a 3rd person perspective.   One torpedo attack launches 8 torps....   why WG

Edited by kishan99

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
48 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

FDR doesn't have AP rockets, she's armed with HVAR.

She was suppose to have ap rockets.  Had that changed?

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,898 battles
2 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

From a semi realism perspective, the idea that a plane's rockets shouldn't launch all at once seems real enough, though I'd have thought that a more realistic mode would be for them to be launched in pairs (i.e. 1 from each wing).  But the idea of rockets being more of a stream not only seems a little more realistic (though I could be wrong about that), it also seems like it's a potentially good way to "fix" rocket planes vs DDs as it seems like landing an entire plane's load of rockets on a target DD would be nearly impossible.  It might not be that hard to land a handful of them on a DD, but a lot of them, not so much.

Then there's the question of how many rockets will the plane have to ripple fire like this.  A small number of large rockets might be better against larger targets while the large number of smaller rockets might be better against DDs.

Overall, this seems like an interesting idea.  Mind you, I'm ignoring the AP aspect of the FDR's rockets in this post.  But I find the idea of ripple firing the rockets rather intriguing.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
41 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

As far as I know, there is one FDR video on youtube (1 game but 4 different clips) posted a week ago from a 3rd person perspective.   One torpedo attack launches 8 torps....   why WG

Thats a crazy spread.  Its perfixt for bunched up ships. I don't know if you have tryed to use Midway torps but you miss alot more than hit.  You have to start your run 6km ount or you cant get a good dispertion .

Also notice that he only got 1 hit.

Edited by jags_domain

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,637 posts
4,999 battles
2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

She was never stated to have AP rockets.  AP rockets were announced at the same time as FDR and people assumed that FDR would have them. 

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I can understand that.  It's just we're at a point in the game that the gimmicks to differentiate newer ships from older ones is only going to get weirder and weirder as time progresses.

For example, "Why would I get FDR if it's basically the same as my Midway?"

Its a great point. That will go game wide.  Thusly no smoke very fast dd with op aa for the new EU DD.  Holland is way to much.

Lets face it there is only so much you can do.  

I think they should have slowed down the ship line introduction . there are only so many nation to do.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

She was never stated to have AP rockets.  AP rockets were announced at the same time as FDR and people assumed that FDR would have them. 

Ok.  I was assuming fdr would have it.  Maybe there savuming them for German CV line.

Or maybe you will be able to have a choice before take off ap or he.

[GRAVE]
Members
1,271 posts
18,799 battles
2 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

I thought it was docked in Guam?

That's probably the Theodore Roosevelt, this is the Franklin Roosevelt, a Midway-class CV.

7 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

nope. Haven't seen anything regarding FDR ever having AP rockets, its all been HE ordinance. Probably stemmed from FDR being announced at almost the same time as AP rockets, so people assumed she would be the guinea pig for them, but in actuality its German CVs getting AP rockets.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,585 posts
15,711 battles
3 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

nope. Haven't seen anything regarding FDR ever having AP rockets, its all been HE ordinance. Probably stemmed from FDR being announced at almost the same time as AP rockets, so people assumed she would be the guinea pig for them, but in actuality its German CVs getting AP rockets

I confess I am a guilty party here. If it doesn't have AP rockets then I didn't do my due diligence and research it myself. I thought it was armed with AP rockets.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
16 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Also notice that he only got 1 hit.

There is a second video were got like two hits and the ship sunk.   If the ship had more HP, he would of hit 5 I believe.   I have played Haku, not Midway...

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
25 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

There is a second video were got like two hits and the ship sunk.   If the ship had more HP, he would of hit 5 I believe.   I have played Haku, not Midway...

Midway torps are so slow and you have to start the run so far back that its easy to dodge them.

Have not played Haku I am on t8.  I found out that with the heals you can take a full sq use the heal and get r full runs before you run out of planes.

AP no.ba are so hit or miss.  You get cits its great if you dobt it like a wasted run.