Sign in to follow this  
HarmonRabbJr

New about warming

11 comments in this topic

[QCN3]
Members
37 posts
1,708 battles

I have recenlty played a game in co-op and a player mentionned wargaming start the cold war, it is true? i don't found any information about that.

• Confused 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

can only assume he means more modern ships coming..   

[GWG]
Members
6,944 posts
13,489 battles
2 hours ago, ncsm_athabaskan said:

I have recenlty played a game in co-op and a player mentionned wargaming start the cold war, it is true? i don't found any information about that.

Information about modern ship (or even those from the 1990s) will be very scant since many are still in service today.

Case in point is the armor model on the Iowa Class battleships.  Although obsolete by 1944, they still had active duty sailors on them up until the 1990s.
That Iowa class armor info can be published now since a successful attack would only kill a few tourists.
|But back when it was in commission, publishing those armor models would have been an act of treason.  It would have put the ships and crew into certain danger if some factions knew exactly where and how to hit them.

That would be like President Nixon selling propeller technology to the Russians, teaching them how to silence the cavitation noise - thus making submarines quieter.  Oh wait... that actually happened...

But armor models, handling characteristics, weapons range, defensive/offensive capability is on the realm of Secret/Top Secret classification.
Publishing that information on any nation's ships might result in the deaths of officers and sailors - of any navy.  Be it Russian, American, Iranian, or Japan SD.  (and yes, Secretary Rumsfeld, Canada has a navy too)

Speculation is just that, but if the speculation guesses right, there can be some problems.

In the 1960s, there was a spy sitcom, 'Get Smart' where they were required to check with the CIA before including any secret 'gadgets' in the series.  They had a few close calls early on.

• Cool 2

[QCN3]
Members
37 posts
1,708 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Information about modern ship (or even those from the 1990s) will be very scant since many are still in service today.

Case in point is the armor model on the Iowa Class battleships.  Although obsolete by 1944, they still had active duty sailors on them up until the 1990s.
That Iowa class armor info can be published now since a successful attack would only kill a few tourists.
|But back when it was in commission, publishing those armor models would have been an act of treason.  It would have put the ships and crew into certain danger if some factions knew exactly where and how to hit them.

That would be like President Nixon selling propeller technology to the Russians, teaching them how to silence the cavitation noise - thus making submarines quieter.  Oh wait... that actually happened...

But armor models, handling characteristics, weapons range, defensive/offensive capability is on the realm of Secret/Top Secret classification.
Publishing that information on any nation's ships might result in the deaths of officers and sailors - of any navy.  Be it Russian, American, Iranian, or Japan SD.  (and yes, Secretary Rumsfeld, Canada has a navy too)

Speculation is just that, but if the speculation guesses right, there can be some problems.

In the 1960s, there was a spy sitcom, 'Get Smart' where they were required to check with the CIA before including any secret 'gadgets' in the series.  They had a few close calls early on.

Thanks , maybe it's was a Hoax. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,944 posts
13,489 battles
4 hours ago, ncsm_athabaskan said:

Thanks , maybe it's was a Hoax. 

I'm sure it's coming.  Naval battles using 1960-1980s technology.

Realistic operations would end up being scenarios, like subdue Libya, blockade Cuba, or rescue hostages.  There were no real naval battles.

However, I worked at SAC headquarters near Omaha in the 70s and 80s..   I saw the naval skirmishes and war-gaming going on.
The unfortunate outcome was always that the losing side launched nukes -- because they don't like to lose. 
This scenario almost always collapsed into an extinction event -- suitable for our post-apocalypse camo.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[QCN3]
Members
37 posts
1,708 battles
17 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I'm sure it's coming.  Naval battles using 1960-1980s technology.

Realistic operations would end up being scenarios, like subdue Libya, blockade Cuba, or rescue hostages.  There were no real naval battles.

However, I worked at SAC headquarters near Omaha in the 70s and 80s..   I saw the naval skirmishes and war-gaming going on.
The unfortunate outcome was always that the losing side launched nukes -- because they don't like to lose. 
This scenario almost always collapsed it an extinction event -- suitable for our post-apocalypse camo.

That would be cool. Maybe in the future. When we have the army space! 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,944 posts
13,489 battles
11 minutes ago, ncsm_athabaskan said:

That would be cool. Maybe in the future. When we have the army space! 

I recall one annual exercise where it was actually entertaining and quite gripping.

The US and USSR was at war.  Conventional Artillery and rockets were flying back and forth at strange.. non-critical unmanned targets in Europe..  The idea was to simply blow something up as a show of marksmanship.

The USSR would announce it was destroying Wake Island..  6 hours later, they tactical nuked it after we evacuated.  We did something similar to a remote soviet outpost..  Warning, then nuke it after it was empty.

This continued for several days (exercise was two weeks long) until the targets became less expendable, like targets inside the US and USSR mainland.  Warning came they were targeting Minot AFB..  
We said, 'nope'.  Launch at that, and we launch everything.
Then peace broke out and the exercise ended.

• Cool 1

[QCN3]
Members
37 posts
1,708 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

I recall one annual exercise where it was actually entertaining and quite gripping.

The US and USSR was at war.  Conventional Artillery and rockets were flying back and forth at strange.. non-critical unmanned targets in Europe..  The idea was to simply blow something up as a show of marksmanship.

The USSR would announce it was destroying Wake Island..  6 hours later, they tactical nuked it after we evacuated.  We did something similar to a remote soviet outpost..  Warning, then nuke it after it was empty.

This continued for several days (exercise was two weeks long) until the targets became less expendable, like targets inside the US and USSR mainland.  Warning came they were targeting Minot AFB..  
We said, 'nope'.  Launch at that, and we launch everything.
Then peace broke out and the exercise ended.

That was the end of the cold war?

[GWG]
Members
6,944 posts
13,489 battles
10 hours ago, ncsm_athabaskan said:

That was the end of the cold war?

I think it was 1982 or 83.  

Cold War was still a going thing with Arms Limitation talks being walked away from and 'Star Wars' creating political upheavals to the point the USSR was threatening to launch right before this thing goes on-line.  
USSR was claiming that deploying any way of shooting down their missiles was the equivalent of a first strike.

The US held these training / War Gaming scenarios to exercise the various elements of intel, command, political interface, targeting, mission assessment, etc.

The US plan, called SIOP wasn't really made for the 'Measured Response' type of conflict this exercise worked on.  In the exercise, the fictional president declared 'Measured Response' to the enemy aggression.  So they blow up a remote outpost, and we had to find the Soviet functional equivalent to blow up.  These targets were scaled on capability function, ecological fallout damage, and had to be cleared through politics.

It was a real hairball of an exercise.

In an earlier annual exercise, the Soviets invaded Iceland.

• Cool 1

[QCN3]
Members
37 posts
1,708 battles
25 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I think it was 1982 or 83.  

Cold War was still a going thing with Arms Limitation talks being walked away from and 'Star Wars' creating political upheavals to the point the USSR was threatening to launch right before this thing goes on-line.  
USSR was claiming that deploying any way of shooting down their missiles was the equivalent of a first strike.

The US held these training / War Gaming scenarios to exercise the various elements of intel, command, political interface, targeting, mission assessment, etc.

The US plan, called SIOP wasn't really made for the 'Measured Response' type of conflict this exercise worked on.  In the exercise, the fictional president declared 'Measured Response' to the enemy aggression.  So they blow up a remote outpost, and we had to find the Soviet functional equivalent to blow up.  These targets were scaled on capability function, ecological fallout damage, and had to be cleared through politics.

It was a real hairball of an exercise.

In an earlier annual exercise, the Soviets invaded Iceland.

Interesting. Thanks for that information!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this