Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Invisible ships

10 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,169 battles

Have to now add my voice/experience to the invisible ship problem. In Narai, I spawn at the north end of the formation. I pretrain my guns on where the cruiser and DD will spawn waiting for a target. I have done this before. My team all starts firing and I figure they are all so experienced they know exactly where bots will spawn. Everyone keeps firing and I can see them getting hits on... "nothing". I look and see the 3 red ships are shown on the minimap but I still can't see squat. The Dougy  finally appears as it sinks, the DD appears about the same time and I finally squeeze off a shot. BB is sunk, never saw it. Probably 30-40 seconds of no-show ships

Previous game was fine. The remainder of this game was fine. Obviously everyone else could see those targets (no one else mentioned it when I did). No way there was anything like smoke or haze or concealment blocking my view. As I said, I know what is normal for this scenario and am even familiar with the glitches. NEVER had this happen.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

That sounds more like a graphics error on your end than it does a server side problem.

• Boring 1

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,918 posts
15,321 battles

replay

replay

[PVE]
Members
6,148 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Have to now add my voice/experience to the invisible ship problem. In Narai, I spawn at the north end of the formation. I pretrain my guns on where the cruiser and DD will spawn waiting for a target. I have done this before. My team all starts firing and I figure they are all so experienced they know exactly where bots will spawn. Everyone keeps firing and I can see them getting hits on... "nothing". I look and see the 3 red ships are shown on the minimap but I still can't see squat. The Dougy  finally appears as it sinks, the DD appears about the same time and I finally squeeze off a shot. BB is sunk, never saw it. Probably 30-40 seconds of no-show ships

Previous game was fine. The remainder of this game was fine. Obviously everyone else could see those targets (no one else mentioned it when I did). No way there was anything like smoke or haze or concealment blocking my view. As I said, I know what is normal for this scenario and am even familiar with the glitches. NEVER had this happen.

If they are outlined on the mini map you may have been out of sight range.

Your visibility only extends as far as the cone you see on the map. If a ship is past that cone & is detected by teammates it will only render as an outline until you get in visual range.

Sorry...just checked game count...you KNOW this...my bad.

Maybe a brain fart moment? Were you in a DD w/short visibility range?

[GWG]
Members
6,954 posts
13,494 battles

Narai???

That scenario is such a cashfest that folks have farmed it thousands of times (no stats).

Yeah.  They know exactly where to fire guns and torps and have the sequence down to what time is on the clock.

To them, it's like watching the movie, 'Groundhog Day'.

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,169 battles
1 hour ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

That sounds more like a graphics error on your end than it does a server side problem.

Always possible. I do have game freezes and other glitches. But I have seen numerous others recently mentioning this so it is a common graphics error which means it still may have something to do with what WG provides.

UPDATE 1: OK just watched the replay myself. The glitch (invisible ships) is there but it didn't go quite as long as I thought it did and I did finally see the BB and even took shots at it. Ping was bad. I actually turned my guns to the first fort because I couldn't see any ship targets. Then the targets showed themselves and the game went normal from that point on. Fortunately the team was good so my slow start wasn't a problem.

UPDATE 2: OK watched it again and this time the 3 ships all showed up ALMOST immediately when the should have. How is that possible? 2 views of the same replay 10 minutes apart show different things? I'll skip past the WG conspiracy theory stuff and figure the the program finally decided to display datapoints that it did not the first couple of times. Very weird. Likely that my first replay viewing may not have been what I saw in game either. 

Not sure what others might see.

20200423_185805_PASC107-New-Orlean-1944_s07_Advance.wowsreplay

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
11 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Always possible. I do have game freezes and other glitches. But I have seen numerous others recently mentioning this so it is a common graphics error which means it still may have something to do with what WG provides.

UPDATE 1: OK just watched the replay myself. The glitch (invisible ships) is there but it didn't go quite as long as I thought it did and I did finally see the BB and even took shots at it. Ping was bad. I actually turned my guns to the first fort because I couldn't see any ship targets. Then the targets showed themselves and the game went normal from that point on. Fortunately the team was good so my slow start wasn't a problem.

UPDATE 2: OK watched it again and this time the 3 ships all showed up ALMOST immediately when the should have. How is that possible? 2 views of the same replay 10 minutes apart show different things? I'll skip past the WG conspiracy theory stuff and figure the the program finally decided to display datapoints that it did not the first couple of times. Very weird. Likely that my first replay viewing may not have been what I saw in game either. 

Not sure what others might see.

20200423_185805_PASC107-New-Orlean-1944_s07_Advance.wowsreplay

Your ping is the answer, here. You were out of sync with the server. Also, the reason it seems that things are changing as you repeatedly watch something is because you HAVE already seen it, and your mind is filling in information it knows it already has to speed up the visualization process. Dr. Krimzon FTW!

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,169 battles
20 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Your ping is the answer, here. You were out of sync with the server. Also, the reason it seems that things are changing as you repeatedly watch something is because you HAVE already seen it, and your mind is filling in information it knows it already has to speed up the visualization process. Dr. Krimzon FTW!

Probable answer on the Ping BUT would PING have been the cause for the differences in the 2 viewings? (i.e. ping was still bad at the time of the first viewing but was OK for the second) I am certain that the first time I viewed the replay, there were invisible ships (fired on by teammates) that were then visible in the second viewing. I'm thinking the real time (in game) viewing was likely the worst version with the ships staying invisible the longest. Obviously there is no proof of any of this but I am certain what I experienced in game and felt vindicated when it showed up on the first replay viewing. Only watched it a second time to confirm the timing and what I saw was completely different than the earlier viewings. 

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Probable answer on the Ping BUT would PING have been the cause for the differences in the 2 viewings? (i.e. ping was still bad at the time of the first viewing but was OK for the second) I am certain that the first time I viewed the replay, there were invisible ships (fired on by teammates) that were then visible in the second viewing. I'm thinking the real time (in game) viewing was likely the worst version with the ships staying invisible the longest. Obviously there is no proof of any of this but I am certain what I experienced in game and felt vindicated when it showed up on the first replay viewing. Only watched it a second time to confirm the timing and what I saw was completely different than the earlier viewings. 

Again, I refer you to what I said last lol. Also, ping has nothing to do with watching a replay, all a replay does is show you what happened, it takes place entirely on your computer, though it uses the WG client to do so. More, our perception of time is different at certain point than we realize. We think things take, say, 5 minutes when in reality it's actually just one minute. Time feels different due to the circumstances. Dr Krimzon FTW again! :D You'll also see more things in a replay than you saw when you played the actual match, which is why replays are such a good learning tool for the game.

Now, I'm not saying anything I said, aside from ping causing desync,  is the reason for your issues, I'm simply stating things that could be the problem or part of the problem.

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,169 battles
4 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Again, I refer you to what I said last lol. Also, ping has nothing to do with watching a replay, all a replay does is show you what happened, it takes place entirely on your computer, though it uses the WG client to do so. More, our perception of time is different at certain point than we realize. We think things take, say, 5 minutes when in reality it's actually just one minute. Time feels different due to the circumstances. Dr Krimzon FTW again! :D You'll also see more things in a replay than you saw when you played the actual match, which is why replays are such a good learning tool for the game.

Now, I'm not saying anything I said, aside from ping causing desync,  is the reason for your issues, I'm simply stating things that could be the problem or part of the problem.

Have a new problem-I'm seeing double!!:Smile_veryhappy:

Update: The double post was removed

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Funny 1

Sign in to follow this