Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Killer Atago

27 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts

Check out this Atago with 6 kills and 5 awards (if he had killed the enemy CV a bit later he'd have got another one). The game was pretty-much lost but he and the CV pulled a win out of their hats for us in the last few seconds.

image.png.a30609d3e1256fb6d94a3cc3dd248974.png

@16PD118

20200423_145909_PASB518-Massachusetts_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

• Cool 6

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts
1 minute ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Awesome game congrats. 

I pulled my own but that guy in the Atago was amazing.

[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

The upside of having battles behave erratically lately is that sometimes you can just pull victories and comebacks out of absolutely nowhere. People get complacent after a certain point and you can perform miracles. Had a massive 3k BXP game in Friesland just because the reds let us do so and got carried away by their number advantage.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles

I had an ARP Takao, essentially the same thing, completely shaft my team a couple of nights ago. We were winning, then we were losing. He finished with a Kraken and some obscene amount of base XP. I had to congratulate him on screwing us over royally; he pulled out a magnificent effort for his team.

[INTEL]
Members
3,054 posts
16,775 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Check out this Atago with 6 kills and 5 awards (if he had killed the enemy CV a bit later he'd have got another one). The game was pretty-much lost but he and the CV pulled a win out of their hats for us in the last few seconds.

image.png.a30609d3e1256fb6d94a3cc3dd248974.png

Atago is one of my Go-To ships when I need a win.  It's also a blast to play.  FWIW, get Atago B if you ever have the chance, it's even better :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
Just now, ClassicLib said:

FWIW, get Atago B if you ever have the chance, it's even better 

Inbuilt camo coolness factor?

"Blatago" :Smile_veryhappy:

Almost bought one in the Good Friday sales last year, but I'd already bought an Asashio and a Harekaze not long before that, and my wallet was frowning at me.

It's unfortunate that they decided to charge significantly MORE for the ARP Takao on the re-release than the basic Atago costs. I'd rather wait for the midyear or Black Friday sales and see if I can get her at a discount.

[INTEL]
Members
3,054 posts
16,775 battles
43 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Inbuilt camo coolness factor?

"Blatago" :Smile_veryhappy:

Almost bought one in the Good Friday sales last year, but I'd already bought an Asashio and a Harekaze not long before that, and my wallet was frowning at me.

It's unfortunate that they decided to charge significantly MORE for the ARP Takao on the re-release than the basic Atago costs. I'd rather wait for the midyear or Black Friday sales and see if I can get her at a discount.

My stats in B are a little better than the 'plain' model.  Both have one of the coolest camo schemes in the game.  The Tropical camo is gorgeous.

shot-20_04.24_09_20.10-0981.thumb.jpg.15f9a0fff91003e7fd2f74547fb1c654.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
9 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

My stats in B are a little better than the 'plain' model. 

Did you buy both or win one? I'm not sure I could see myself speccing them two different ways (three if I had a Takao), although recent changes in the modules which normally occupy the concealment slot might have changed that. Would you drop concealment for a super-twitchy aft-swinging rudder-mod build?

[INTEL]
Members
3,054 posts
16,775 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Did you buy both or win one? I'm not sure I could see myself speccing them two different ways (three if I had a Takao), although recent changes in the modules which normally occupy the concealment slot might have changed that. Would you drop concealment for a super-twitchy aft-swinging rudder-mod build?

I bought the original very early on.  2018 Black Friday container for the B.

I have them both spec'ed the same way as I'll often play them both on the same day for the extra bonus.  I use the Concealment mod and it works very well without the extra rudder shift.  I like to use the torps when I can and having concealment means I can torp from stealth (approaching ships) or torp and go dark very quickly.  Using torps is very situational but it's a nasty surprise if you can catch a battleship with her guns pointing the other way.  I also use stealth and torps to hold down a flank while shooting to start fires then go dark.

Edited by ClassicLib

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
10 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Using torps is very situational but it's a nasty surprise if you can catch a battleship with her guns pointing the other way. 

I can only imagine. My Mogami and Myoko/ARP Myoko hardly ever use their torps; the launch arcs are too unfriendly and too often cluttered with own-side ships to take the risk. At least the Atago can torp things in front of it!

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's unfortunate that they decided to charge significantly MORE for the ARP Takao on the re-release than the basic Atago costs. 

I got my ARP Takao in one of the earlier events. It was a long grind but well worth it. That was my first tier VIII ship and I played it for something like 750 games before I started grinding up other lines. It's still my all-time second-played ship after the Gearing. I really like it that we now have a nice permacamo for it.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I got my ARP Takao in one of the earlier events. It was a long grind but well worth it.

Missing out on the ARP ships because I dragged my feet HORRIBLY about getting into this game was one of my big regrets. I was very pleased when they brought them back, and even more so with what they offered us for free (all the Kongo-class and the name-ship Myoko).  While it would have been nice to have the whole lot, I'd been hoping for one or another variety of premium Myoko to come back for ages. I almost bought the Southern Dragon when they re-released her at Lunar New Year, but a tip from a source that shall remain nameless encouraged me to wait... and I'm glad I did. 

I figured that while I would have liked them to give us a second shot at the Takao (in the 2019 re-release), what that would have done to the event grind might have put the whole thing out of the reach for newer and less-experienced players. As it was, anyone who hadn't yet started up the Japanese BB and/or cruiser lines and who had even a modest spread of T5+ ships could still set themselves up - gratis - with a useful spread of premium ships for captain retraining.

Atago or equivalent is on my list of ships to get at some stage, but I'm going to see what happens with Black Friday containers this year before I reach into my wallet. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Atago or equivalent is on my list of ships to get at some stage, but I'm going to see what happens with Black Friday containers this year before I reach into my wallet. 

It's interesting because I have the Takao already but I'm always getting trial Atagos and 50% off coupons for them. Maybe you will get one of them someday.  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's interesting because I have the Takao already but I'm always getting trial Atagos and 50% off coupons for them. Maybe you will get one of them someday.  

YOU HAVE THE TAKAO, NOW TRY THE ATAGO WITH 100% LESS WEEB! :Smile_trollface:

I've seen quite a few people talk about the rentals dropped into their laps out of the blue, but the only ones I ever got were ones that had been offered as mission rewards (Arizona, Kaga; Perth, which I already owned). 

If WG dropped a 50%-off Atago opportunity into my lap, I think I'd probably take it; Summer sales are only ever 30% off Tier 8.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've seen quite a few people talk about the rentals dropped into their laps out of the blue

I was going to show you the Atago rental I had in my port just now but I watched a replay and time must have expired because now it's gone. I think I've gotten about three of them though.

[PHD]
Members
1,511 posts
6,444 battles
1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

My stats in B are a little better than the 'plain' model.  Both have one of the coolest camo schemes in the game.  The Tropical camo is gorgeous.

shot-20_04.24_09_20.10-0981.thumb.jpg.15f9a0fff91003e7fd2f74547fb1c654.jpg

Unfortunately WG stopped selling that camo last year, I think, or maybe the year before.  

[INTEL]
Members
3,054 posts
16,775 battles
1 minute ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Unfortunately WG stopped selling that camo last year, I think, or maybe the year before.  

That port has some strange shading.  Here's a better shot.

1616710261_AtagoTropicalCamo2.thumb.jpg.16ff32c8dfeb3cb258e734121e9c4780.jpg

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,511 posts
6,444 battles
6 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

That port has some strange shading.  Here's a better shot.

1616710261_AtagoTropicalCamo2.thumb.jpg.16ff32c8dfeb3cb258e734121e9c4780.jpg

The Philippines is my home port. I have the normal Camo. Looks nice I don't know why WG removed it from sales

Edited by GrayPanther2018
Correction

[INTEL]
Members
3,054 posts
16,775 battles
7 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

The Philippines is my home port. I have the normal Camo. Looks nice I don't know why WG removed it from sales

I chose that port because it has better lighting...and...the Atago participated in Battle of the Philippine Sea and was sunk in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,751 battles

Was the first ship i purchased for the Game..  Great ship..  And yeah the torp angles are much nicer then Mog or Myoko..  or Aoba for that matter as well.  

Always have fun when i play it, great concealment. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts
1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

I chose that port because it has better lighting...and...the Atago participated in Battle of the Philippine Sea and was sunk in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

The Takao was a real ship too. In fact, the Atago was a Takao-class cruiser. The Takao participated in several historical battles and survived the war.

[INTEL]
Members
3,054 posts
16,775 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The Takao was a real ship too. In fact, the Atago was a Takao-class cruiser. The Takao participated in several historical battles and survived the war.

Their sister ship Chōkai was sunk in the battle off Samar.  A 5" shell from a CVE of all things set off Long Lance torpedoes on her deck.

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Except the Atago was commissioned first, joy

3 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Their sister ship Chōkai was sunk in the battle off Samar.  A 5" shell from a CVE of all things set off Long Lance torpedoes on her deck.

Yup; her engine and rudder were disabled from the resulting explosion. She was later scuttled.

Edited by destawaits

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
9 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Bogue* OP at Tier 8, Plz nerf. :Smile_hiding:

(* Yes, I know; not the actual ship responsible, but you know what I'm getting at; let's not split too many hairs.)

Sign in to follow this