You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CounterErrorism

Best Guns in Game

60 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
12,204 battles

1.  Yamato 460's - Excellent dispersion and sigma plus overmatch still makes this the big Richard in these parts.

2. Stalingrad 305's- Laser beam arcs, improved pen angles and nice alpha.

3. IJN 100m - Math ignoring pen figures and manic reload.

Honorable mentions

IJN 203's - Versatility and DD dispersion

Groz 130's - Excellent pen and rail gun arcs

USN 203's - Generous angles and heavy shells

What did I miss?

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

any russian bb gun at short range...

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,610 posts

How is Smol not on this list?  Dakka dakka.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

any russian bb gun at short range...

Not really, especially when one can angle and bounce the shells.

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
12,204 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

How is Smol not on this list?  Dakka dakka.

Perhaps an honorable mention is warranted.  Better initial shell velocity than the American 152's that do basically the same job.  But significantly different gun performance?  I am not so sure.    

[SRBL]
Members
487 posts
11,741 battles
18 minutes ago, CounterErrorism said:

What did I miss?

I would include Thunderer with its accuracy and fire chance. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles

Friesland. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
3,081 posts
5,943 battles

I loves me some US rainbow but aiming with those things are a bit a black art.  Spray and pray at times.  I definitely have some major major ballistics envy with our Soviet counterparts.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,014 posts
22,116 battles
38 minutes ago, CounterErrorism said:

1.  Yamato 460's - Excellent dispersion and sigma plus overmatch still makes this the big Richard in these parts.

2. Stalingrad 305's- Laser beam arcs, improved pen angles and nice alpha.

3. IJN 100m - Math ignoring pen figures and manic reload.

Honorable mentions

IJN 203's - Versatility and DD dispersion

Groz 130's - Excellent pen and rail gun arcs

USN 203's - Generous angles and heavy shells

What did I miss?

Yubari. I have landed every round of six successive volleys at medium range. 

The original WoWS railguns. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,131 posts
4,088 battles
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

Friesland. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

Yeah, I've made the mistake of picking a fight with a Friesland in my Fletcher. Got reminded that the Friesland guns definitely make up for lack of torps...

I'd go for the USN 203s, especially DM's autoloaders. Scary AP, solid HE especially when backed up by high ROF. Hard to find a more versatile gun.

Also GA's 457s. They're not Yamato, but they're accurate, and still hit like a truck and reload fast.

Members
26 posts
12,204 battles
1 hour ago, Tom_Greg said:

I would include Thunderer with its accuracy and fire chance. 

Nice!

Definite omission. Versatility and accuracy with 457’s. Top 3 worthy. 

• Cool 1

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,108 battles

Stalis guns are amazing. Great dmg, ap pen, sigma, high velocity makes hitting anything simple 

Members
26 posts
12,204 battles
22 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Moskva, Stalingrad, Venezia

Venezia has a strong case with the terrific SAP, under used/rated AP, good shell velocity and speed. Not sure too 3 though. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,464 posts
6,520 battles

Venezia, or Moskova,   Des Moines' Have held up well over time also.    For their tier... Pensacola or Indianapolis.  .    

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
21 minutes ago, CounterErrorism said:

Nice!

Definite omission. Versatility and accuracy with 457’s. Top 3 worthy. 

It also reloads very quickly for guns of the size, as well as having more guns than the also fast reloading Georgia.

The AP is stronk, it reloads fast, is accurate, and the HE is also nasty.  The only thing Thunderer's 457s don't do is have IJN 460mm+ Overmatch advantage.

In terms of gunnery, when both Ohio and Thunderer were WiP ships, Thunderer was considered "bleh" and Ohio was broken OP.   Then real late in WiP stages, WG swapped Ohio & Thunderer gunnery values.  Ohio had Mega Secondaries already, so she did not need the extra main battery nastiness, while Thunderer didn't have that extra offensive option.  That change hit and that's what went Live.

It took a while for Thunderer to be respected.  People still remembered how bad Conqueror-457 was and that "Thunderer" was LittleWhiteMouse's joke ship a while back.  Her reputation rose slowly after release when it finally became apparent that she just was no longer a joke ship.

With Thunderer, you're basically getting a Conqueror with Legendary bonus built in, Old Ohio OP gunnery, 457mm x8 at 22.8 seconds reload with MBM3, old Conqueror 457mm shells, but lose out on Conq's Mega Healz.  It's a real nasty combination.  The 457mm-armed BBs really sh*t on Cruiser protection schemes in Tier X.  There's defensive angling tactics you could do with certain Tier X Cruisers to frustrate even 406mm, 419mm, 420mm armed BBs, but 430mm+ AP completely sh*ts on that due to Overmatch.  And if that isn't bad enough, Thunderer will try again with 8 more 457mm shells at just over 20 seconds.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,930 posts
11,605 battles

high tier USN 406s Super Heavy AP shells and pretty accurate to boot

Members
26 posts
12,204 battles
6 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

high tier USN 406s Super Heavy AP shells and pretty accurate to boot

NC with the MK 45 406's might be top 3 in her Tier VIII weight class.  Somehow, with her plunging fire she feels so much more powerful than Iowa and Montana.  That Montana broadside when the moons align tho...

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,127 posts
7,994 battles

Thunderer has the best guns of any battleship in the game IMO.  Spee dispersion + quick reload + quick turret traverse + 14,900 AP alpha with 30mm overmatch and fantastic pen + 8,200 HE alpha with a 63% fire chance.  It deletes cruisers, blaps broadside BBs and melts any battleship that thinks it can angle.  The Yamato is a close second with 32mm overmatch and fantastic accuracy, but the Thunderer's quicker reload, significantly better turret traverse and ability to melt any BB the Yamato struggles to deal with while angled (Kurfurst/Kreml) gives it the edge in my opinion.

As far as cruisers are concerned....it's an impossible task to answer as they can vary drastically in purpose and function.  How can you compare Stalingrad AP, to Venezia SAP to Worcester HE and everything in between?

Edited by yashma

[DRAH]
Members
370 posts
9,130 battles

Republique's aren't too shabby either, with outstanding penetration at range and have flat trajectories and a fast reload. The biggest issue is the 2x4 layout and less than supersonic dispersion.

Members
26 posts
12,204 battles
45 minutes ago, yashma said:

As far as cruisers are concerned....it's an impossible task to answer as they can vary drastically in purpose and function.  How can you compare Stalingrad AP, to Venezia SAP to Worcester HE and everything in between?

Ha!

Subjectively of course!  But your right.  Thunderer very strong case.

42 minutes ago, Ellyh said:

Republique's aren't too shabby either, with outstanding penetration at range and have flat trajectories and a fast reload. The biggest issue is the 2x4 layout and less than supersonic dispersion.

I considered the Repub and very much like her.  Plating that is trollish on boats like the Zao is just a catchers mitt for the Repub.  All glorious pens.  

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
1 hour ago, yashma said:

Thunderer has the best guns of any battleship in the game IMO.  Spee dispersion + quick reload + quick turret traverse + 14,900 AP alpha with 30mm overmatch and fantastic pen + 8,200 HE alpha with a 63% fire chance.  It deletes cruisers, blaps broadside BBs and melts any battleship that thinks it can angle.  The Yamato is a close second with 32mm overmatch and fantastic accuracy, but the Thunderer's quicker reload, significantly better turret traverse and ability to melt any BB the Yamato struggles to deal with while angled (Kurfurst/Kreml) gives it the edge in my opinion.

That's the scary thing with Thunderer.

Kremlin 457s are good but they got a normal reload for a BB even with MBM3.

Yamato-class 460s are Overmatch City.  Yammie is accurate as well.  But her reload is normal for a BB.

Republique's 430mm guns have the same Overmatch benefits as even the 457mm armed BBs.  She reloads quickly also for her 8 rifles.  It's a great combination until you realize you are also dealing with FR BB / Old German BB Dispersion.  Not even ASM1 fixes that.

Ohio has 457mm guns, fairly quick reload, but she's not as accurate as Yamato and Thunderer.

Thunderer's guns almost have it all.  Power, reload, precision, and both HE & AP shells are excellent tools to reach for in any given situation.  She just doesn't have that 32mm Overmatch that Yamato-class and upcoming Shikashima have.  But overall, it's a mighty combination for any single weapon system in the game.

She's for the BB player that demands useful guns and shells above all else.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
3,475 posts
14,849 battles

Personnally I consider DM guns to be the best cruiser guns when it comes to the role she's supposed to fulfill.

Zao guns are good at long range shoot, same for Venezia, in fact I would say all T10 cruisers guns are good for the role they're supposed to fulfill, but DM guns are just better at doing their job than other cruiser guns.

As far as BB guns goes, Georgia and Thunderer guns are easily among the best gun, then you have Yamato legendary that is quite strong and consistent.

For DD 139mm and 130mm are both really strong, as well as 100mm IJN guns. I should also mention IJN 127mm guns that are really strong but only lacks DPM to be among the best guns

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[SIDE]
Members
4,705 posts
2 hours ago, yashma said:

It's easy. How easy is it to hit targets and does it  often meaningfully damage them? Stalin yes. Venezia yes. Yoshino yes. Hindi, Henri and Zao pretty much. Wooster no.

Edited by thebigblue