You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shrayes_Bhagavatula

Regarding my Reviews

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles

Hello Everyone!

So, I have to make an announcement concerning my reviews and other things that I published. The computer that I play World of Warships on has reached the end of it's long 4-year life. The poor thing recently began to spin out ( as evidenced by the fact that it's howling and spitting sparks ), and I'm fairly certain that it will crash ( or have a "fun and engaging experience" ) within the next two or three days. Therefore, the last review or comparo test that will be coming out will be the Iowa versus Sovetsky Soyuz comparison test, which arrives this Sunday. After that, the reviews and comparison tests will be put on hold indefinitely ( or until I get a new PC )

I honestly do not know whether or not you people who bear witness to my reviews and comparison tests ( and the myriad other things that I write about ) enjoy it or not. All I know is that there are a very small crowd of people who legitimately enjoy reading what I write, whether or not I might be correct about what I say. In the meantime, I will continue to write proposals about implementing warships into the game, such as something like Soldati, or HMS Incomparable, or something like that. 

Hades GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'm just gonna give you guys two big thumbs up because of the fact that you fellas actually take the time to read what I write. I couldn't ask for more than that

Good Luck, Fair Winds, Following Seas

-Shrayes Bhagavatula

• Cool 5

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

you can often grab used office pc's for a hundred $$ or less if its just something to allow you to communicate.

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles
Just now, SKurj said:

you can often grab used office pc's for a hundred $$ or less if its just something to allow you to communicate.

Well, here's the problem @SKurj. I use a Chromebook for writing my reviews, and I use an entirely separate computer to play the game. I can communicate just fine, but I can't actually play the game without that Computer. And like I said, that computer's seen better days.

:SerB:

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

ahh gotcha, slowly collecting bits for my next pc as well its getting old

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,191 battles

I have seen a lot of good sales online for Computer stuff or big box company trying to push PC stuff out since the new cards are coming out this year.  So I have never seen your stuff can you share a link so I can read it I think your write-ups sound interesting. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles

I'll be making a sticky of all the reviews I wrote, though none of the five original reviews will be there, because I've lost those.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
18 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

I'll be making a sticky of all the reviews I wrote, though none of the five original reviews will be there, because I've lost those.

TY!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
36 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

After that, the reviews and comparison tests will be put on hold indefinitely ( or until I get a new PC )

No sweat. I've enjoyed reading your stuff. Come back to the production side when you are able, and in the meantime stay in touch.

Flippant, unserious suggestion: Position it somewhere where the fire which ensues cannot possibly harm anyone. Fire up WOWS. Start playing and let the machine go out, literally, in a blaze of glory. :cap_rambo:

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

If your computer is 'howling and spitting sparks' you may have a power supply issue. Many retail system PSUs fail after four or five years because manufacturers use the lowest-quality units available knowing that most consumers wouldn't know a PSU from a doorbell if they saw one. If this is your only problem then you can get a halfway-decent PSU for $75.

If it's something on your motherboard that's hissing then it's probably a capacitor. If you have the patience or technical expertise you can re-cap your motherboard for a few bucks. However, this is usually only done if your motherboard is worth something to begin with. Retail system motherboards are usually not worth working on at the board level. You can replace a motherboard for less than a hundred bucks but then you run into the problem of ensuring that it is compatible with your CPU and RAM and also having to buy a new operating system because OEM operating systems are licensed only to the hardware that the manufacturer shipped. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles
21 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If your computer is 'howling and spitting sparks' you may have a power supply issue. Many retail system PSUs fail after four or five years because manufacturers use the lowest-quality units available knowing that most consumers wouldn't know a PSU from a doorbell if they saw one. If this is your only problem then you can get a halfway-decent PSU for $75.

If it's something on your motherboard that's hissing then it's probably a capacitor. If you have the patience or technical expertise you can re-cap your motherboard for a few bucks. However, this is usually only done if your motherboard is worth something to begin with. Retail system motherboards are usually not worth working on at the board level. You can replace a motherboard for less than a hundred bucks but then you run into the problem of ensuring that it is compatible with your CPU and RAM and also having to buy a new operating system because OEM operating systems are licensed only to the hardware that the manufacturer shipped. 

Well, I just had her checked out ( by myself, obviously. Thankfully I'm at least somewhat competent when it comes to computers ). Turns out that the Hard Drive is pretty close to blowing out, and that howling noise was the cooling fans working overtime in order to keep that thing going. Unfortunately, this laptop is a fairly old model, all the way from 2014 or so, and the replacement parts are virtually nonexistent ( it's an HP Notebook, so go figure, I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to play WoWs on that piece of junk ). Thankfully, I might be getting a new gaming laptop sooner or later, so I might be back on the "production side" as @Ensign_Cthulhu put it, given some time.

But given the current circumstances of the crisis, who knows how long that might be:fish_nerv:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
8 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Well, I just had her checked out ( by myself, obviously. Thankfully I'm at least somewhat competent when it comes to computers ). Turns out that the Hard Drive is pretty close to blowing out, and that howling noise was the cooling fans working overtime in order to keep that thing going.

If you haven't already done so, disassemble your notebook enough to allow you to give it a good internal dusting. Sometimes fans will stay at max rpms due to overheating caused by a blocked heatsink or vent.

You should be able to find an SSD to replace your hard drive. However, if your notebook is getting long in the tooth then the money might be better spent on a new system.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles

GREAT NEWS FELLAS

I have, with some assistance from my parents, secured a brand new computer!

In other words, The reviews are coming back, BABY!

The next review will be the HMS Duke of York, which has just arrived in my port as a Three Day rental

Good Luck Fair Winds, Following Seas!

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,792 posts
4,631 battles
On 4/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

it's howling and spitting sparks

That's just a failing 110VAC fan.  Undoubtedly in the power supply.  Power supplies are a lot cheaper than new PCs.

• Cool 1