You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

To Yoshino Captains...How do you like your boat?

34 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,242 battles

How's your ship? I'm within  15,000 coal for her and wondering if she's worth it.

Do you play with the dual range option much for your torpedoes?

Edited by Aurora_7

[INTEL]
Members
3,057 posts
16,810 battles

It's certainly a fun ship to play if you like ranged cruisers.  The guns are accurate and the torps are lol.  But it's difficult to carry a team in it.

I use the type 93's.  If you are within 12km using torps, it's usually a desperation move or finishing off a ship that is occupied with someone else on your team.  This ship's strength is at 15km+.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
809 posts
9,692 battles

I like yoshino. Damage farmer at range kinda play but overall fun. I run the 20 km meme torps

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,717 battles
4 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

How's your ship? I'm within  15,000 coal for her and wondering if she's worth it.

I enjoy her, but you have to understand because of her armor you need to play the first half of the game near or at full range.   Your torps are for annoying people chasing you.

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,242 battles

Seems kind of like most cruisers. You can't get too close in the beginning because, depending on your particular CA, your armor may give out early.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,215 posts
21,436 battles

She's a lot of fun if you like play Zao :D

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles

Its probably one of the most fun boats in the game. The range is incredible, with spotter plane up its very easy to get tons of damage early on without taking much risk. Just start and stop a bunch because you can get hit hard if you aren't careful. The gamebreaker are the ridiculous 20k torps. They are wonderful to send at a group of pushing ships. They are slow and inmost cases by the time they hit you forget you sent them. It's tinklepants giggle worthy when they do.

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,730 battles
18 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

This is just my personal opinion. I like Zao. I thought Yoshino would be a bigger, tougher Zao. Man, I was wrong. I really wish I could get my coal back. It plays like a fragile Conqueror with torpedoes that you will rarely get to use. The bigger guns are accurate and the HE is very nice but that is the only trait I like about the ship. It has an alarming combination of fragility, large size, poor detection and poor maneuverability. AP bombers are incredibly deadly against it as its armor is just thick enough to arm all AP bombs, but not deflect any of them, and it is big enough to eat ALL the bombs from a single drop. I've seen Enterprise chunk 30k health out of a Yoshino several times. In the situations where I was using a Yoshino I invariably wished I had a Conqueror, or a Zao. Even the torpedoes ... they seem useful but Yoshino has to keep so far back with its poor armor scheme and high detection that you are at risk of hitting your own allies with your torpedoes at those long ranges. 

The ship works best kiting away, the problem is if you are doing that you are usually surrendering the caps, and it is mostly HE damage and easy to heal. It also has to stay so far away due to concealment issues and being a big squishy target that it can't really control vision to help apply pressure on the enemy. It is reliant on its teammates to help it control vision similar to a BB, but it doesn't have BB durability or alpha. It manages to pack most of the worst traits of a BB and a CA in the same package without providing many of the benefits of either. 

Some people can make this ship work. I can't and I hate trying. Honestly, I would give you mine if I could. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,458 posts
19,466 battles

Yoshino's overall a good bote and a great long range fighter but the almost 3 minute loading time for the torpedoes makes them a rare use weap. She aint as tough as one would think, Alaska and Kronshtadt are much more robust. Personally, I think that Hindenberg and Henry IV are better tier 10 Cruisers.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Is Yoshino an HE spammer or primarily AP?

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
14,258 battles

I really want the Yoshino, got the coal, but I think I am going for the Thunderer, but I think I would like the Yoshino.

[-N-]
Members
263 posts
15,722 battles

She's ok. Actually I prefer her to Zao. It's easier to spit out damage thanks to the bigger guns and the MUCH better placement of the torpedo tubes (and it's hilarious when they actually hit something :fish_viking:) And unlike Zao, she has actual armor and AA; not the best but it's better than nothing.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,174 posts
9,416 battles
1 hour ago, Aurora_7 said:

I love Yoshino. Despite her IJN hate code of the mogami-like armor and yamato-like citadel nose it is a powerful ship. 

20km torps is really the only thing you should run. Simply put, if you are inside 12km range of a target and you going to use torps you have a better chance to survive sailing PAST the enemy ship showing him your bow all the time and torp them point blank. If you show even a slightly angled bow you will be triple citadel'd and lol-popped in one shot. 20kms allow you to chuck torps at where you expect ships to be ... if you play Shimakaze or Asashio you will develop a healthy 6th sense for this and you will score torp hits with Yoshino. 

HE is amazing but its NOT a fire machine. Zao will outperform it big time in setting fires. Yoshino does not have the ROF nor the number of barrels to do a good job at it. HE damage is great. 

AP is very good. Not russian bias god-like good like Stalingrad's but definitely good. You can citadel many T10 BBS from 20km with them. Shells are nicely flat and fast..again, not russian-bias flat nor fast nor dispersion-to-near-zero bias as soviet ships have but definitely the best accuracy and ballistics of any IJN ship. 

Secondaries are very good if you spec for them. Yes, you can and should spec for them. They arent there to help you vs BBs and they help a bit vs cruisers but they are VERY good vs DDs. Yoshino HE main gun will not one-shot kill a DD but your secondaries will on average, per DD you engage, do about 5 to 8k damage to the DD..which is plenty enough to either soften it while your guns load or kill it after you've blarped most of its HP out. 

shot-19.09.03_16.22.04-0469.jpg

shot-19.09.12_21.03.13-0481.jpg

shot-20.03.20_19.55.54-0819.jpg

shot-20.03.20_19.56.19-0628.jpg

[SALVO]
Members
24,816 posts
25,888 battles
36 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

Primarily an HE spammer.  Her AP is weaker than it really should be, IMO.  On the flip side, even if her AP was truly good, it would be difficult to make good use of it because the Yoshino's armor is so fragile that doing anything other than longer range kiting is quite risky.

Honestly, this is a gripe of mine with many super cruisers and some "normal" heavy cruisers.  I get that cruiser armor really isn't meant to stand up to BB gunfire.  But many CAs and some SCs (super cruisers) have pretty decent armor that can hold up relatively well against larger shells, if they angle properly.  So, it's frustrating when there are other SCs and CAs that have pretty pathetic armor that doesn't seem capable of standing up to a stiff breeze.

Also, I'm not fond of SCs and CAs that don't have decent AP to go with their good HE.  This tends to limit these SCs and CAs to being little more than long range kiters when they lack the armor and decent AP to move closer to the action at certain points in a battle where they could have a major impact on that battle's outcome.

1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

It's certainly a fun ship to play if you like ranged cruisers.  The guns are accurate and the torps are lol.  But it's difficult to carry a team in it.

I use the type 93's.  If you are within 12km using torps, it's usually a desperation move or finishing off a ship that is occupied with someone else on your team.  This ship's strength is at 15km+.

The truth is that it's difficult for any long range HE spamming kiter to carry a team.  For one thing, you're totally dependent on team mates to spot for you because you're so far away from the enemy.  And second, HE spammers tend to lack that knockout punch to get easy (or at least, easier) kills and are dependent on doing their damage in smaller chunks over time, whether it's from the direct HE damage or from fires.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,042 posts
13,308 battles
46 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

I really want the Yoshino, got the coal, but I think I am going for the Thunderer, but I think I would like the Yoshino.

Be careful; you sound like me.

I was in exactly this situation about three weeks ago; had the coal - heart said Yoshino, head said Thunderer. (ironically, before having the coal and it being only theoretical, I always thought “YoshiNO”, but rapidly improving Zao play made me rethink it.)

My clan was telling me Thunderer, because I’m a better battleship player than cruiser player (and I am).

I listened and got the Thunderer.

I feel like I have bought the MOST INCONSEQUENTIAL SHIP I HAVE EVER HAD in the Thunderer. Not many battles yet, but never felt like I made a difference in any of them. Not even felt like I could have made a difference. But I’m open-minded that it might be me. Usually, though, I’m out of the gate fast on new ships, just not this time.

I do find myself wishing right now that I had gone Yoshino instead, though.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

I don't.

Because of her poor armor and large size, she can do nothing besides spam HE at long range.

Don't go for the concealment mod, go for double rudder shift. She's somewhat maneuverable then, and trust me, she needs it.

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,730 battles
51 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

HE. The 310mm AP doesn't have any tricks to make it  good for a middle-size round. It doesn't have good autobounce, it isn't superheavy, it doesn't have high pen, fast reload, or magically high velocity either. It struggles with CAs who can angle. You can forget BBs who have any clue. HE is where the money is at for Yoshino. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,730 battles
3 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

I don't.

Because of her poor armor and large size, she can do nothing besides spam HE at long range.

Don't go for the concealment mod, go for double rudder shift. She's somewhat maneuverable then, and trust me, she needs it.

^This. She isn't an agile ship even with double rudder, but her concealment never gets good even if you spec for it and she can't survive or disengage at close ranges anyway. Double rudder and distance might let her dodge something and hopefully keep a BB AP round our of her citadel. It's also your only real defense against aircraft. Double rudder can make the difference between eating 2 Enterprise AP bombs and all six. 

[-KIA-]
Members
3,473 posts
14,825 battles

Yoshino is certainly not a bad ship. She's a good long range HE spammer and can kinda brawl but she's quite squishy on her side. That ship is really good at countering things like Stalingrad, Moksva or ship with 50mm armour overall.

Her HE is strong, her AP is ok, not great nor bad. It works against broadside target. She's accurate and her shell velocity is quite fast so landing shell isn't really hard. Her AA isn't that good but these days it doesn't really matters anyway, her concealment is actually pretty good for a supercruiser with 11.9km when you fully spec. Speed is ok, maneuvrability isn't great but that's not a Yoshino only issue and she has torps with decent firing angle.

Overall Yoshino is a pretty solid ship...But I wouldn't recommend picking her right now when you have things like Thunderer that is a straight up better Conqueror in almost every situation or Georgia that is just a broken BB in its own category.

[INTEL]
Members
13,062 posts
36,040 battles
5 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

This. Should add that Yoshino's strength is fire setting. You can do the same thing in Thunderer, with better range and armor, a fast reload, excellent conceal, and some ability to carry. Yoshino, because it has no armor, is difficult to carry a match in because if you push up to kill ships in the late game, you will be citadeled and returned to port immediately.

The 20 km meme torps are fun, tho. Just send them into places where ships like to be. You'll get hits.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
14,258 battles
4 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Be careful; you sound like me.

I was in exactly this situation about three weeks ago; had the coal - heart said Yoshino, head said Thunderer. (ironically, before having the coal and it being only theoretical, I always thought “YoshiNO”, but rapidly improving Zao play made me rethink it.)

My clan was telling me Thunderer, because I’m a better battleship player than cruiser player (and I am).

I listened and got the Thunderer.

I feel like I have bought the MOST INCONSEQUENTIAL SHIP I HAVE EVER HAD in the Thunderer. Not many battles yet, but never felt like I made a difference in any of them. Not even felt like I could have made a difference. But I’m open-minded that it might be me. Usually, though, I’m out of the gate fast on new ships, just not this time.

I do find myself wishing right now that I had gone Yoshino instead, though.

wow thanks for that input...now you got me thinking...appreciate your thoughts.. do you have the Conqu?  How do you rate Thunder vs Conqu, or how do you rate Thund over over other T10 BBs??

[A-I-M]
Members
3,042 posts
13,308 battles
11 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

wow thanks for that input...now you got me thinking...appreciate your thoughts.. do you have the Conqu?  How do you rate Thunder vs Conqu, or how do you rate Thund over over other T10 BBs??

I haven't played the Conqueror a lot yet. My gut feeling between them both is that I'll get by a lot better with the 12 guns than with the Thunderer's eight. Right now, my "go-to" T10 battleship is Kremlin, then Yamato (90% done grinding the UU). I do plan on giving both the Conqueror and Thunderer more of a fair shake.

Thunderer has been difficult to make an impact with...I think part of it is I've tried to take the "kite at range" recommendation too seriously, and have been playing from too far out.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,242 battles

Thanks, all, for your input. I've got some time and some considering to do.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,062 posts
10,394 battles

I am considering getting her as well. I enjoy my Azuma at T9. However, it was still the same situation when I picked Thunderer over her a few months back. Thunderer is somehow a better cruiser than Yoshino at T10.

Thunderer has comparable HE dpm, vastly superior AP, much better maneuverability, similar concealment, better armor, better heal. The only special thing about Yoshino is slightly better dispersion and torpedoes. I just don't see why I would play her over Thunderer...

Members
792 posts

I got yoshino a while back and really enjoy her, her AP is surprisingly good at deleting other cruisers, the torpedos can give you nice surprise dmg from long distance or nice knockout dmg up close.  The HE can be pretty sickening as it has good dmg and pen.   If you dont have the thunderer I would pick that up  first, Thunderer is just amazingly fun to play with its great HE/AP I use it for fire starting missions as almost every volley is 1-3 fires and that battle cruiser dispersion with those big guns is just mmm mmm good.

Either boat you cant go wrong they are both great ships.