You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

What About A Fog Bank Map?

3 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

So I was thinking this may sound like Thunderstorms or Cyclones, but what about a map that has some islands but at least 1 section of it like say at least 1 grid square or perhaps more has fog that looks like a smoke screen and acts like it as well. have it in the middle or roughly in the middle so players can decide to risk passing through, going around it, setting ambushes in it or ambushes out side of it. The pretty much blind visibility of smoke screens are such a double edged sword that having fog zone that has exact characteristics of smoke screens including visibility might be fun to test out. Plus it would be historical enough as such conditions did exist from time to time in the history of naval battles. But would definitely not have the entire map be engulfed in the smoke / fog though, just a section of it on a specific map might be fun idea.

And yes there would be the risk of CLs and DDs taking advantage of the fog, but that would mean they would be blinded as well to incoming torpedoes,  shells, or even ships coming in after them. Enough ships have hydro or radar to light up ships in smoke and as I mentioned torpedoes can be deadly to smoked ships. Also would not recommend having a spawn cap zone allowed to be in the fog, so maybe have the fog in the center of map with the diamond shaped A, B, C, D. cap zone arrangement. Or I suppose you could have the fog zone engulf cap zone B in the triple cap zones in a line arrangement leaving A and C clear for safely taking and having B be the risky one. There are some possibilities.

• Cool 3

Members
1,057 posts
4,376 battles

This sounds like an interesting concept. I like the fact that you thought the whole thing through and didn't just throw the idea at us. If anyone knows how to make maps, that would be great.

I'll also tag @Hapa_Fodder on how this idea sounds

:SerB:

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
5 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

This sounds like an interesting concept. I like the fact that you thought the whole thing through and didn't just throw the idea at us. If anyone knows how to make maps, that would be great.

I'll also tag @Hapa_Fodder on how this idea sounds

:SerB:

Thank you, and I even had thought about the benefits to both surface ships and to CVs as well, but did not add this into my original post as I did not want to turn this into a CV debate. But CV aircraft would be able to lurk in ambush out side the fog despite not being able to see anything within the fog zone unless a BB opens fire or something. But one of the major benefits to CVs would be a fair number of ships stepping away from using Def AA and instead using hydro just in case they got the Fog Bank map. And surface ships such as DDs would be able to slip away from CV aircraft by entering the fog, but as I said on my original post any ships entering the fog would face double edged risks.

But all in all we could gain a new fresh type of battle map, with historical roots, and with something for everyone. And if CVs are in the battle we could have the issue of border line wanders perhaps be solved as the areas outside of the fog would be clear and easy flying for CVs and they would be threatening the border line wanderers instead of the front line team players getting hit for moving up like sometimes happens. So as I said everyone would gain something from the fog bank map idea.

The big question would be if we should have brand new map created where as you could have some fun islands, or use some existing maps where upon battle start the fog springs up in the middle of the map. If we had a dedicated fog bank map designing the islands would be crucial element to pay very  through attention into designing as Stalingrad and Moskava are a major element in lighting up large sections of the map so some islands to grasp and shelter for the radar duration are sometimes a necessity in some situations. ( Not suggesting island camping is recommended as I hate doing it, but even I once in a while have had to stop engines for a moment behind and island on the front lines to wait out radar before going back on the move. Much like a shark I consider movement to mean survival for my warships as you can dodge ordnance if on the move, but are a sitting duck if holding still.)

• Cool 1