You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S16_Hunter

New Gaming Monitor

29 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,740 battles

Ok, not sure where exactly this kind of post should go, so if it needs to be moved, moderators feel free.

So i'm looking at getting a new Gaming monitor,  27" to 32" .. not sure if i want curved, G-sync compatible at least..  Price below 700 bucks..  Not sure i want to do 4k yet, but may..  but i won't run it there, yet.  Future consideration.

Been looking at a TON of them and man is the field full.. oh.. Refresh of 144hz or above, 

So what is everyone using ?  or suggests using?  I've been looking at the Razer raptor 27, gigabytes Aorus FI27Q, AD27QD, some good looking LG monitors out there also.

Was looking at ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q  but reading some of the reviews seemed less than desirable.. 

Thoughts?

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
1 minute ago, S16_Hunter said:

Ok, not sure where exactly this kind of post should go, so if it needs to be moved, moderators feel free.

So i'm looking at getting a new Gaming monitor,  27" to 32" .. not sure if i want curved, G-sync compatible at least..  Price below 700 bucks..  Not sure i want to do 4k yet, but may..  but i won't run it there, yet.  Future consideration.

Been looking at a TON of them and man is the field full.. oh.. Refresh of 144hz or above, 

So what is everyone using ?  or suggests using?  I've been looking at the Razer raptor 27, gigabytes Aorus FI27Q, AD27QD, some good looking LG monitors out there also.

Was looking at ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q  but reading some of the reviews seemed less than desirable.. 

Thoughts?

Question, what GPU card are you using???

For WOWS type games... 120MHZ is the best depending on your graphics card capabilities... What size ? that is on you...

IMO, the quality of your graphics card will diminish or improve your viewing monitor... To high of a Mhz monitor while your card is not build for it, then its a waste of money.

@desmo_2

Dont you have a huge monitor in which you would like to chime in?

[APES]
Members
1,488 posts
8,308 battles

I have an old Asus VG248QE 144hz.  You can raise the fps cap in this game by going into the config file, but there is no true 144hz support sadly.  In other games the 144hz makes a big difference.  I do not notice any difference using sync, no tearing with or without it.  If you want to play in 4K make sure you have a beast computer because the higher you go the harder it is on your computer.  I am also looking for a 27" 144hz. new monitor.   I'm running 8700K with a GTX1080.  I looking for a 2K, but I do not think 4K yet.  I wonder how 1080P looks on a 4K monitor since it isn't the native resolution?

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[WOLFC]
Members
483 posts
6,344 battles

I'm running a 32" LG 32GK850, and it's been good so far. An important note, many of the Freesync monitors will work just fine with Gsync, it just requires a bit more finessing to do. Mine is a Freesync monitor, but I've got it running at 144hz. Like Navalpride33 said, it can depend just as much on your video card as the monitor, and you'll want a GTX 1070 or better if you're going to try and run anything over 2k without dropping frames. Some games are going to be optimized better of course, but don't expect the monitor to be the bottleneck for smoother video.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,740 battles

I have an alien Aurora R6.. with the GTX1080 TI..  so yeah, the 4k thing is a future consideration, not going to run it with this card.  Also 27" or 32" at most.. pretty sure i'll stick to 27".  The LG's get some good press but not like other models..  And yeah i'm reading more and more of the FreeSync monitors having Nvidia compatibility. 

This monitor is for FPS and wows.. and the FPS games need better response times..  Currently using a standard HP monitor and it works fine for WOW's.. not great for COD.. and it's geez.. 5 or more years old now.. 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,328 posts
31,714 battles

I've got  Samsung TV 32" I use.  I was late to the HDTV thing so got it about 10 yrs ago I guess.  The refresh ? rate I think it was - the thing that lets you watch sports etc without jerky motion or whatever was bad, so I promptly went out and bought a bigger better HDTV.  But the 32" works fine as a monitor.  TV's are so cheap now. 

[GOB]
Members
2,035 posts

I have triples here.  I bought dual 28" 4K Samsungs but quickly fell out of love with 4K gaming.  Went and got a simple 32"  2K Viewsonic 144hz curved (curved is ok but i'm not that impressed )   All my games look great on it and the 4ks sit on the sides so I can monitor work etc. 32" is great for old eyes and if you play a lot of FPS it's awesome! 

Like everyone will tell you it all depends on your GPU. Do not go below 6GB ram on your Cards.  This game will work on less but most AAA games LOVE at least 6Gigs  Get the best you can afford. Many manufacturers have payments like cell phones now so there's that as well.

the 32" model

ViewSonic VX3258-2KC-MHD 32 Inch 1440p Curved 144 Hz Gaming Monitor with FreeSync Eye Care HDMI and DP

0423200927a.jpg

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

I run 3 cheap Acer 27's  work fine for 1080p and I can use all 3 for racing sims with a GTX 970 if i tone down the gfx abit

I'd like to consider an ultrawide curved 34+, but before that can happen i have to upgrade to a new pc and VR for racing...    ack... $$$

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,740 battles

Several of the View Sonic monitors get good press and reviews..  Only have room for one monitor though :) 

i'd Love to get a 34".. but $$ over a thousand..  Alien 34 curved wide screen.. Yeah i'd buy that if i was willing to drop $1,200 bucks.. Not quite ready to drop that kind of cash and i'd upgrade my PC before i bought that expensive a monitor.

Frankly there are so many to choose from it's difficult picking one.  You read great reviews and then go to you tube and see good reviews and then one or two people go.. JUNK to expensive, better choices etc.. Which is what they said about the Razer Raptor 27..  basically said your only reason to own it is if you are a Razer fanboy.. LOL..

Aorus models seems to be getting the "good monitor but a bit pricey". for what you are getting..  ANYTHING G-SYNC specific is usually 100 - 200 or more expensive.  

Sometimes to much information is not a good thing.. LOL.. 

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
27 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

I have an alien Aurora R6.. with the GTX1080 TI..  so yeah, the 4k thing is a future consideration, not going to run it with this card.  Also 27" or 32" at most.. pretty sure i'll stick to 27".  The LG's get some good press but not like other models..  And yeah i'm reading more and more of the FreeSync monitors having Nvidia compatibility. 

This monitor is for FPS and wows.. and the FPS games need better response times..  Currently using a standard HP monitor and it works fine for WOW's.. not great for COD.. and it's geez.. 5 or more years old now.. 

Now you have options with a 1080Ti. you can go with

• With a very big monitor at 120Mhz and a very low Dot pitch.. OR
  • You can run two 144MHZ monitors
    • As long as you have 2 display ports, then the short answer is yes, your 1080ti can output 144hz to 2 different screens. ... You will still get the screen tearing reduction from the higher 144hz refresh rate, but youll likely have to dial settings back to get anywhere near a stable 144 FPS on 2 1440p screens.

The choice is yours... IF you have the money to burn and the gear capabilities, Then go with the two 144MHZ monitors... You really dont need to goto 4k domain.

Reference

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=can+a+1080ti+handle+a+144mhz+monitor%3F

[WOLFC]
Members
483 posts
6,344 battles

With the 1080Ti, here's how you can get a Freesync monitor to work at the higher refresh rates. I run a 1080 (not a Ti), and this is what I used. You might still want to run with a Gsync monitor, but this at least gives you some more flexibility on your options.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-freesync-display-nvidia-gpu

• Cool 1

[FACT]
Members
16 posts
3,258 battles

I'm running an Acer ET322QK (32", 4K, Freesync, 60hz, 400CAD @ a year ago) and with an 4790k@4.4 and Vega64 it runs basically around 60fps. Now the fan speed/heat output are...impressive, but that gives you an idea of what can be done.

For gaming 4k is nice, but for everything else 4K(at least at 32") is awesome.

So, yes, go 4k if you can afford it. Even if your GPU can't drive WoWS at 4K, general productivity and Youtube at 4K are very nice. Think of buying a 4K monitor as "future proofing". Maybe your current computer can't run it well, but the next one probably will.

Members
829 posts
4,679 battles

I run a single Acer X34 as my gaming monitor, with a 2nd 22" basic office type monitor on the side).

100hz, 3440x1440p, GSync ultrawide IPS panel with a fast response time. Really good monitor. The slightly newer version (X34p, which goes 120hz) might be over your budget though. It is curved, but you don't notice the curve in practice.

I'm considering getting the new Acer X38 when it eventually arrives, or the LG model the X38 is based on (LG 38GL950G). 3840x1600, 144hz with a 175hz Overclock. It costs as much as an entire mid-high end gaming PC does here though.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,015 posts
13,269 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Question, what GPU card are you using???

For WOWS type games... 120MHZ is the best...

To high of a Mhz monitor

1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Now you have options with a 1080Ti. you can go with

• With a very big monitor at 120Mhz and a very low Dot pitch.. OR
  • You can run two 144MHZ monitors ...

The choice is yours... IF you have the money to burn and the gear capabilities, Then go with the two 144MHZ monitors...

Megahertz, huh?

Even if they looked like monitors, I would probably still call them television or radio transmitters at 120 or 144 megahertz.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Megahertz, huh?

Even if they looked like monitors, I would probably still call them television or radio transmitters at 120 or 144 megahertz.

I am not radio or TV trained to comment properly... :cap_horn:

Edited by Navalpride33

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,152 battles

I run a CJ791 ultra wide 34" on a 1660ti.  At native res 3440x1440 the some of the anti aliasing settings need turned down a bit, but running g-sync it stays around 66-98 fps in games (I have the game locked to 98 fps so that vsync doesn't need enabled)

My screen is a 1500r bend and that's much preferred for my usage.  The 1800r just doesn't have enough curve IMO.  The number is the radius length of the circle for which the screen is curved.  Thus the smaller 1500r vs 1800r means the screen is 'bent' more because the radius of the curve is less (given in mm).  For computer monitors, you want a smaller number as you're closer to the monitor so more curve is desired to keep it at an equal distance to where you sit.   I bought 3 34" monitors, a flat, a 1500r and 1800r.  I kept the tighter curve 1500r because it was the both the best curve and best monitor. 

[O_O]
Members
6,426 posts
15,262 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Dont you have a huge monitor in which you would like to chime in?

No, my new PC is still limited by an inferior monitor.  I'll fix that one of these days.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

No, my new PC is still limited by an inferior monitor.  I'll fix that one of these days.

Oh sorry to hear...:Smile_hiding:

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
511 posts
2,563 battles

Acer Predator XB272. Totally worth it. G-Sync, 240hz, and 1ms input lag. 1080p only but I don't really care too much about 4k.

pc1.jpg

[O_O]
Members
673 posts
5 hours ago, S16_Hunter said:

Was looking at ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q

I have this and have had no issues during the 5 months of use.  Base + stand is really sturdy which I did not know I wanted until I already had it. 

A quick glance at the poor reviews on Amazon were mostly a couple years ago and had to do with the screen bleeding which I would hope is fixed by now.  Also some complaints about Amazon not packing them correctly or with everything.  

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,598 posts
10,459 battles

The monitor will be determined by what you want to do with it.  If you do any graphical or picture work, you will want to stay away from curved monitors.  If you ever want to use it to watch movies at a distance other than the optimal center of radius, stay away from a curved monitor as well.  They work for gaming, but that is all.  The most versatile and best monitors for the money are the flat ones.  They have the most accuracy and work at all viewing distances.

If you are a pro gamer, then you might want to choose something that does 144fps or higher as the top spec.  Gsync and Freesync capabilities allow a lower monitor refresh rate while maintaining smooth high speed video rendering.  Otherwise, 120fps will probably be suffice and will be quite a bit less cash for a higher resolution screen that produces a nicer color and better contrast.  Do you want color and contrast accuracy when viewing pictures or movies?  Gaming monitors can suffer here because they go after speed rather than accuracy, and the screen accuracy often suffers because of the display technology that is required for the higher speeds.  You can get a good IPS monitor that gives good speed and good color rendition, along with higher resolution.  You will pay a bit more for one like this, but they are nice.  TN monitors have speed at a cheap price, but sacrifice color rendition and aren't as good at off angle viewing.

4k isn't the be all to end all, but a lot of content is coming out that supports it.  The large screens look really nice at the higher resolution when you are close.  They can do the lower resolutions for better performance if needed.  You get the best of everything.  Almost every good monitor comes in 4k nowdays.

I know when I was looking at monitors a year ago, I was having the same dilemma.  I ended up choosing a good 27" IPS monitor.  It would have been nice to have a 32", but sacrificing on the size for better performance to get into my price range was a good compromise.  I certainly don't regret my decision, even though it was more than I was originally planning on spending when I started looking for a monitor.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,740 battles
5 hours ago, Rustyhole said:

I have this and have had no issues during the 5 months of use.  Base + stand is really sturdy which I did not know I wanted until I already had it. 

A quick glance at the poor reviews on Amazon were mostly a couple years ago and had to do with the screen bleeding which I would hope is fixed by now.  Also some complaints about Amazon not packing them correctly or with everything.  

5 hours ago, Rustyhole said:

Was looking at ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q

Was looking at this on NewEgg, and reading the reviews there is difficult, old, other products mixed in, have to take a lesson in sorting and selecting what reviews to read..  

The Asus, is $650 - says "g-sync"  the Aorus is $549 and is a compatible g-sync primarily a free-sync.. ..   I'm kind of leaning toward the Aorus..  

thanks everyone.. 

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,740 battles

Just as an update i ordered the Aorus FI27Q  - it was on sale.. :)  or price dropped due to newer models out there..  I'll let you know how it works. 

• Cool 1

[A-O]
Members
996 posts
10,050 battles

Win10, I7, GTX 1660 and an old 40" off brand Flat screen TV @ 1920x1080p.

Graphics and audio all maxed out with FPS set to 60 to be compatible for streaming with twitch and Youtube.