You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

19 comments in this topic

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,337 posts
20,013 battles

Got into a discussion the other night about burnout and one of the thoughts was wouldn't it be fantastic if I didn't see the same map or the same 4 maps over and over and over again. 

I know WG doesn't make any money on new maps but isn't the quality of the game priceless?

Can we get a new map every time you release a new line at least?

Maybe at least 4 new maps a year?

I would be extremely happy if there were hundreds of maps I think burnout would be a lot less. You'd never knew what you're gonna get.  Something new and exciting every night!

• Cool 8

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts

You've been around long enough to know the WG values $ over game experience.

Just think how this game could have been if they actually cared more about the game experience. 

• Cool 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,337 posts
20,013 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Just think how this game could have been if they actually cared more about the game experience. 

But happier players spend more right?

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles
21 minutes ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

Got into a discussion the other night about burnout and one of the thoughts was wouldn't it be fantastic if I didn't see the same map or the same 4 maps over and over and over again. 

I know WG doesn't make any money on new maps but isn't the quality of the game priceless?

I would be extremely happy if there were hundreds of maps I think burnout would be a lot less. You'd never knew what you're gonna get.  Something new and exciting every night!

Agreed 1000%.

Not only new maps, but unique (non-symmetrical?) maps.  Not just re-hashing of the same 3-4 cap zone maps with different islands littered about.

New ships are great, but still play the same old song without new territory and tactics to exploit with new maps.

Oh, and can we also get this one back, please?

Capture.JPG.7d7f607ef6f83e5498486626de95e397.JPG

• Cool 5

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
724 posts
4,640 battles

Honestly, I like some of the lower tier maps. If they could just scale those up...

5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Agreed 1000%.

Not only new maps, but unique (non-symmetrical?) maps.  Not just re-hashing of the same 3-4 cap zone maps with different islands littered about.

This too. The latest map looks like a mashup of several maps we already have

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,992 posts
5,943 battles

They are constantly moving the islands around by millimeter amounts and sometime wholesale changes.  It changes the old island hump strategeries quite a bit with every little millimeter or removing that certain spot that we don't talk about.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,332 posts
19,492 battles

Didn't we just get a map last patch? Northern Waters or whatever. And I think they showed several old maps being redesigned on PTS, e.g. to get rid of the big long barrier island on the west side of Loop.

Bigger problem IMO isn't the quantity of maps, it's that they're all starting to have the same "starburst of islands around a cap circle" design. There are plenty of maps, but they all feel the same.

• Cool 2

[LANCE]
Members
790 posts
5,874 battles

The problem with new map design imho is that the gameplay is somewhat 2D. Unlike WoT where having an elevation in certain areas and putting structures in certain areas gives different LoS and sporting advantages in WoWs the surfaces (the sea) is flat. Put too many islands in certain areas makes it a no-go for BBs and limits firing ranges/lanes for other ships. Making night battles in one suggestion thrown about but just makes it similar to cyclones. A way to make night battles better would be to have “star bursts” to light up certain areas for a certain amount of time but would that be automatic or an upgrade on certain ships? If an upgrade it’d be a pretty useless slot usage if you were in a daytime map and as we have no choice to change modules/upgrades once seeing lineups and map you’re stuck with it.

Id like to see more maps but like I said, there are certainly limitations when it comes to balance.

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles
13 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

There are plenty of maps, but they all feel the same.

Exactly this.

Love the more unique style maps like Two Brothers, the old Islands of Ice, or even low tier ones like Big Race and Solomon Islands.  Wish they could use those kinds of maps for inspiration for new ones.

• Cool 2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Agreed! Besides, it's work that can be done irrespective of balancing changes. Nobody complains when new maps are out.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
4,558 posts

More maps the better, same maps over and over and over gets old.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,332 posts
19,492 battles
2 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Agreed! Besides, it's work that can be done irrespective of balancing changes. Nobody complains when new maps are out.

Maps need to be interesting and balanced otherwise people will definitely (and deservedly) complain.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,051 posts
1 hour ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

This has to be the biggest disappointment of the day so far! Thought someone had got a scoop on WG actually listening to the community and creating new maps.

However, as I was happy for that period between reading your title and then seeing the content - I forgive you! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,337 posts
20,013 battles
5 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

This has to be the biggest disappointment of the day so far! Thought someone had got a scoop on WG actually listening to the community and creating new maps.

However, as I was happy for that period between reading your title and then seeing the content - I forgive you! :Smile_teethhappy:

Lol  Sorry for the excitement and disappointment

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,130 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

There are plenty of maps, but they all feel the same.

Nailed it.

They've released & rehashed a dozen maps in the last couple years but have turned them all into Copy/Paste redundancy.

WG please make some more unique maps & bring back the good ones you used to have but altered to fit the C/P format.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Maps need to be interesting and balanced otherwise people will definitely (and deservedly) complain.

What I meant was that they can go about fiddling with balance while developing new maps. Two different teams at WG IIRC, so the work is done in parallel.

[RAIDR]
[RAIDR]
Members
20 posts
7,139 battles

Here's a concept why doesn't WG let people make maps for them and test them out on the test servers to see if others would like them too... 

I use to make maps for different games years ago is there a map making program for WG that other can use and then upload them to WG to fine tune them?????

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,416 battles
On 4/23/2020 at 7:55 AM, awiggin said:

+1,000. 

WoWS could have dozens of maps (charts, in 'nauticalese') if they'd wanted to but they want all the kiddies in the same sandboxes.