Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Low Tier CA, High tier match?

5 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,940 battles

They say to find a nice piece of rock for cover kinda toward the back of the playing field...

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
6 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

As Yuro once said, "Obligatory exploding Nurnberg."

Lol obligatory exploding Nuremberg, lol that’s a good one and part of the reason I finally had to use FXP to jump from latter part of my tier 6 grind all the way up to tier 8 where the line became good again.

Something about those tier 5-7 KM cruisers being so easily citadeled makes them quite the popular targets, which on some maps leaves you with the dilemma of helping your team and getting quite likely blown out of the water, when the right moment might be to help out, maybe instead trying to stay safe, or other such choices.

Or there is the really bad choice / idea where a I see players obviously thinking “ I have all these torpedoes! I must be able to play like DD and charge right up to the enemy and use them!...” :Smile_teethhappy:

Don’t get me wrong though The German tier 5-7 ships are quite usable, and some players use them very effectively. They are just a mix of not as much suited to my play style nor as good of a fit for me as some of my other cruisers are. Like Graf Spee, Aoba, and Leander work really well for me when a I need tier VI cruisers. So their performance simply far outshines the performance of Nurnberg for me. Although the Nurnberg is phenomenal in certain tier VI Scenario battles where you need the longest ranged and fastest HE firing you can get and then have the torpedoes just in case something gets way too close.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,940 battles

A bit of backstory to this engagement.  My number one worry was one of those DDs hanging around the cap.  Earlier in the match I was snuggled up against the main terrain feature with my backside toward our mid cap.  It was already a cat/mouse game with one of those DDs.  I noticed one headed down the channel for a potential rear engagements, so I decided it was time to bug out, extending away.  There was also a T6 BB headed to our mid cap, so I would be engaging him as well.  After the BB was dispatched, I turned east and noticed the DD had reversed course in the channel and began to run parallel, but lagging (in position) somewhat so I knew he didn't have a clear torp shot initially. 

That little bit of terrain to my left as this video begins was critical to my positioning against the DD.  I knew he was paralleling me, and also knew those rocks protected me from torps.  HOWEVER, if I maintained that trajectory, any torps he fired to the far side, would get me.  The cardinal rule of not travelling in a straight line was important here, but I was hoping to goad the shot, as my intent was always to slow down and turn bow in around the terrain.

The CA engagement was purely serendipitous.  I had nothing else to shoot.  Wasn't sure the DD would reveal.  So...let's pop the spotter, and have a go.  Now for the game within the game.  Note the CA is moving slightly forward (smoke trail).  So first salvo is toward the bow, which will catch him if he stays status quo.   Many savvy CA players get that spidy sense (as the PT flickers) or run the captain skill that let's 'em know long range is inbound.  They hit the throttle and bug out so they won't be there when the shell land.  I take this into account by sending another turret's salvo forward (if the bug out is straight), and the third forward and a bit longer in range (to catch a turn away).  I don't know which one got him, but I gave each turret a chance to achieve a hit along three of his potential actions (status quo, bug out forward, bug out forward and back).  Of course, dispersion at that distance might still deliver a hit on a turn in, so in aggregate, it's all a probabilities game.  

And probability is so true. A shot (i..e, the ability to shoot at a target) like this comes up at least once a night of gaming.  Many miss.  I don't post those.  And I also get a good number of single pens or overpens, so from an attrition standpoint, it's a worthy shot.  And every so often, I get the cit.  And even less so often a multi-cit DS.  Of course, I'm going to post that one.

Rule:  Roll the dice often enough, and you are GUARANTEED to get box cars.  If you never roll the dice, you'll never get it.   I roll the dice a lot.  And I occasionally get boxcars.  But you gotta roll 'em.        

Sign in to follow this