You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
C14Alpha

When DDs are OP

21 comments in this topic

Members
1,493 posts
10,847 battles

dd have the most impact in the game besides cancer carriers, but it seems you got lucky and the enemy cv was not very good.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
1,103 posts

The other team started behind with one more BB and one less DD.

Then they lost their DDs relatively early in the game.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i see cv's....  didn't they make dd's obsolete in WoWs?

Members
36 posts
7,071 battles
5 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i see cv's....  didn't they make dd's obsolete in WoWs?

No.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts

dd perma spot that makes them to strong.  Yes yes cv cv cv yes been hearing it for ever. Fact is dd are only spotted if they want to be.  Thats why radar, but its short duration and short range and you only get so many of them.

What gets dd killed is they go cv hunting get spotted and sunk by shell fire amd rocket fire.

There are still 4 dd per game in almost every match.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,790 posts
7,201 battles
9 hours ago, C14Alpha said:

The other team started behind with one more BB and one less DD.

Then they lost their DDs relatively early in the game.

Given that their one DD is a Clemson, the others are a Nicholas and a Maass, this was more of a case of a faildiv hurting their team. Ark Royal is also not known as one of the better CVs. Finally, we can't see the way the battle developed or the actions taken by the players that probably had a great deal to do with how the battle turned out.

So, all in all, this is a very, very poorly put forth argument that DDs are OP, since there are so many factors that almost certainly had far greater impact that are not addressed here. Might try again with more concrete reasoning.

Members
1,103 posts
2 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

So, all in all, this is a very, very poorly put forth argument that DDs are OP, since there are so many factors that almost certainly had far greater impact that are not addressed here. Might try again with more concrete reasoning.

Strangely, there is no [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] option.

[55UP]
Members
405 posts
2,828 battles
23 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Ark Royal is also not known as one of the better CVs.

Ark Royal is the best T6 carrier at hunting destroyers. It’s possibly the best T6 carrier period, although Ryujo is a contender as well. 

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,790 posts
7,201 battles
20 minutes ago, C14Alpha said:

Strangely, there is no [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] option.

Ah, I see. Well, i think most use a befuddled Cappy ( :cap_book: ) when they are doing sarcasm on the forums.

Still, a battle with that kind of imbalance really isn't even good for sarcasm, as the point of the sarcasm ( the power of a DD compared to other shiptypes ) is overshadowed by other factors in that particular battle ( like the imbalances due to MM ).

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,790 posts
7,201 battles
6 minutes ago, FineousFingers said:

Ark Royal is the best T6 carrier at hunting destroyers. It’s possibly the best T6 carrier period, although Ryujo is a contender as well. 

That isn't what I've heard and read, though British CVs are generally better at this one mission due to the planes' smaller turning radii. However in other tasks in the battle, I don't believe Ark Royal is better than the other T6 CVs.

Of course, I am going off my own experiences, and others may have differing opinions.

[TRU]
Members
602 posts
18,217 battles
11 hours ago, C14Alpha said:

OP-DDs.thumb.jpg.793a35a228cd30932bf5325c93dadd64.jpg

Not sure of the point of this post (pro DD, anti DD, or just to stir the pot).  

A clemson?  Phew that guy had his work cut out for him.  

Overall DDs can be seen has OP in the right game/circumstances like any other ship.  I still think they are the most fun to play considering the risk and the reward.  I have to remind myself when there is radar to hold off on the cap.  

[DJL]
Members
210 posts
6,635 battles
41 minutes ago, FineousFingers said:

Not really. It's a good cv yes but not the best at dd hunting. The rockets are crap the torps are ok but can be out ran by most dd players the level bombers are ok vs dd's but everything suffers from the slow speed of the aircraft. I like the ark myself but not the best for dd's ranger for me holds that title of dd killer with it's better rockets and hard hitting dive bombers.

The ryo is a close second with ok rockets and torps...yes torps. Thanks and best of luck.

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

I see cruiser, CV and gun DD fail on the red team...

Just because they failed at sinking DDs, doesn't mean DDs are OP... It just mean DDs took adv of the noob tactic of the red team...

Hats off to the DD capts...

Members
1,103 posts
1 hour ago, mpwardawg said:

Not sure of the point of this post (pro DD, anti DD, or just to stir the pot).

I posted the results simply because 3 DDs at the top of the rankings caught my attention.

Since people have such divergent agendas, I leave the "point" entirely up to the reader. :cap_look:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the actual game in question, IMO the biggest deciding factors were the red team:

• continuing to lose ships by repeatedly crashing into a superior force;
  • totally abandoning one of the three caps without making any effort;
  • losing ships to ambushes by an inferior force due to lack of spotting.
Edited by C14Alpha

[ARGSY]
Members
20,101 posts
14,317 battles
7 minutes ago, C14Alpha said:

3 DDs at the top of the rankings caught my attention.

And by a significant margin too. It's quite a jump down to fourth.

Carriers can be defeated by staying relatively close to ships with good AA. Not so close that you aren't an asset to the team; just enough to double back into the long-range aura when you see trouble coming.

If the AA ship is top tier and the carrier is bottom, it can be quite a deterrent to the CV pushing the attack. They'll pick an easier target and you will have more freedom to do your job.

[TRU]
Members
602 posts
18,217 battles
5 hours ago, C14Alpha said:

I posted the results simply because 3 DDs at the top of the rankings caught my attention.

Since people have such divergent agendas, I leave the "point" entirely up to the reader. :cap_look:

-------------------------------------------

You said OP in your title. 

Personally I like DDs doing well in game. Unless they are on the other team, like that poor Clemson.  That is a helluva fail division.

[CLUMP]
Members
821 posts
1,168 battles

But according to DD bros, this shouldn't be possible  CVs are broken and OP and the poor DDs can't do anything because the big bad CVs would rekt them :Smile_ohmy: If CVs are in matches DDs stand no chance against them :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by LastRemnant

[TRU]
Members
602 posts
18,217 battles
10 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

But according to DD bros, this shouldn't be possible  CVs are broken and OP and the poor DDs can't do anything because the big bad CVs would rekt them :Smile_ohmy: If CVs are in matches DDs stand no chance against them :Smile_popcorn:

Someone had to go there lol.  

I think the better DD players still do well, but hate getting spotted via air when they are terrorizing an enemy flank.  However in a lot of higher tier games you have a good percentage of games that have no CVs at all, or just 1.  With just one CV it is pretty easy to keep tabs on where the planes are headed and react accordingly.  

Members
1,103 posts
31 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Personally I like DDs doing well in game. Unless they are on the other team, like that poor Clemson.  That is a helluva fail division.

I cannot understand joining a division to play separately.  I finished off the Clemson on one side of the map and the Nicholas on the other side.

17 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

A really good CV player is nearly god-like; others I sink.

CV-DD-DD.jpg.50be9051d0241db002bb071d0f7e85f2.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
460 posts
9,146 battles

You can't cite one game as an example. Perhaps just a lousy team. From the losing DD's scores I can say that they were not on top of their game. 

DDs are in no way overpowered. They are not under powered either.  However, I think that two or three decent DD jocks working together in a division does create an overpowered situation. But frankly that is a rare event in randoms.