You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dano07_

Georgia vs Massachusett ?

20 comments in this topic

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi

Just trying to get a line on their play style and how effective they are  … as I want to get one or the other

It seems they are similar ( not the same but close enough )  in AA defense , Armor layout , Concealment ,  Maneuverability , Heals and Cpt skills ?

Where they seem to differ is Massa ( Tanks better ? ) has better torps protection but less range than Georgia … not sure what else ?

But I am not sure how the guns match up in actual battles - I see its 6 accurate guns vs 9 not quite as arcuate guns but beyond that I am not sure of how the dynamics of a battle play out for them ?

I know generally T9 earns more than T8 but one 'costs' more than the other so that balances that out.

Maybe there are other things to consider - I see the Massa do quite well in battle and seems more common than Georgia,  also Massa also seems to push more ( perhaps it needs to get in close ) while Georgia seems to hangs back ?

Over all just looking for others players thoughts and experiences ?

Thanks

PS I have another account on Asia but I like coming here to discuss. D

Edited by Dano07_

Members
1,493 posts
10,837 battles

georgia is a lot more fun, power flanking at 600 knots, excellent secondaries burning everything down, very good guns although can be trolly due to only having 6.

massa is a solid boat, quite tanky with the usn reduced heal cooldown, shes a thicc gurl good secondaries again, guns are very trolly and can be unreliable at times but if you can get massa in close you can pull some big numbers.

both are very good boats for their tiers but i enjoy georgia more being able to access very good speed and can be flexible about positioning.

these 2 are even more superior as they are american boats and of course america won the war so that makes them even better!

• Funny 1
  • Confused 2

Members
1,493 posts
10,837 battles

0199f808fe20f9aaaee6e2658bdbb331.png

im not sure if IFHE is still viable for your secondaries, i havent played in like 3 months so havent kept up with IFHE changes but if they are still viable its definitely worth taking for extra pen damage.

as far as upgrades just take secondary buffing modules and prop mod always take prop mod on everything it can save you so much hp by being able to accelerate faster to dodge torpedos or shells.

although on the georgia you get access to the last slot of modules and i do like the main gun accuracy module over secondary module but main gun reload module also works.Make sure to get a speed boost upgrade if you do go georgia its very worth the coal.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi

I see players take PM as well as PT - is that because the guns sometimes get disabled - I thought they were well armored ?

Also I was wondering about Manual Secondaries - as reading some articles said tat the secondaries become too accurate and instead of hitting the superstructure they aim for the water line belt and start no fires  ? 

Thanks

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
1 hour ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi Just trying to get a line on their play style and how effective they are  … as I want to get one or the other

The Massy, at tier VIII, gets you into tier VI-X matches. It's a monster if it's high tier and can hold its own in tier X battles too. I simply love the ship and it's now my most-played BB. Mt stats in it are a lot better than my overall stats.

image.thumb.png.2ea37443559bfed525e2c2256d9e206b.png

That said, in a 1v1 vs the Georgia, the Georgia is probably going to win.

image.png.768734372317254edc9b7c07ab472382.png 

The Massy is a mid-range brawler. You need to get 11 km from the enemy for it to shine. 

image.thumb.png.721172fbc2778065cb127f39085c1eae.png

Use the appropriate upgrades and signals too. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
45 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

Not sure if IFHE is still viable for your secondaries, i havent played in like 3 months so havent kept up with IFHE changes but if they are still viable its definitely worth taking for extra pen damage.

I've done several tests in the Training Room and have come to the conclusion that IFHE is still good for a secondary-spec'd tier VIII Massachusetts because it allows you to pen tier VI and VII BBs and all high-tier cruisers except for the USN CA line. It might be less useful for a tier IX Georgia though.

Members
1,493 posts
10,837 battles
19 minutes ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

I see players take PM as well as PT - is that because the guns sometimes get disabled - I thought they were well armored ?

Also I was wondering about Manual Secondaries - as reading some articles said tat the secondaries become too accurate and instead of hitting the superstructure they aim for the water line belt and start no fires  ? 

Thanks

priority target is huge for experienced gamers as it provides so much information and how you can maximise your gameplay especially for cruisers.

PT on massa tells me how many are targetting me so i know when its safe to give more broadside to get my rear gun out but also tells me when a destroyer is switching to his torpedoes to use on me as it will go from 1 to 0 and back to 1 again telling me hes switched from his guns to his torps then i wait about 5-10 seconds for him to dump his torps before changing my course.

alot of high level players dont use it, you can learn to play without it its just personal preference as the tier 1 skills go

Members
830 posts
4,679 battles
1 hour ago, Dano07_ said:

How do you set up your Georgia - upgrades/Capt skills ?

Thanks

Here is a thread with more Georgia discussion.

My Georgia is:

1. Main Armament 1 - You don't want your big guns to go down during a fight, you lose 33% of your firepower if that happens.
  2. Engine Boost Mod 1 - This special coal upgrade bumps your speed boost up to 4 and a half minutes action time. If you don't have the coal, then Damcon 1.
  3. Secondary Battery Mod 1 - We're building a secondary based ship. You want this. If you don't want a secondary build (why did you get this then?) then get Plotting Rom 1
  4. Damage Control 2 - No brainer choice in this HE spam meta.
  5. Concealment System Mod 1 - The other choices are just awful in comparison to one that reduces your detectability by 10% and increases enemy dispersion. The other two need massive buffs to make them even worth considering.
  6. Artillery Plotting Room 2 - The dispersion reduction is very useful on a ship with only 6 rifles. Georgia is an accurate ship already and this improves it.

My Captain Skills (note, I have Halsey in my Georgia at 19 points) are:

1. Priority Target
  2. Expert Marksman (Halsey improved version)
  3. Superintendent
  4. Advanced Firing Training
  5. Manual Secondaries
  6. Fire Prevention
  7. Preventative Maintenance (or Expert Loader I guess, if you have Halsey or a special captain with the improved version and are one of the people who actually like this skill).

This creates a more "all rounder" build then going full secondary. Makes it easier to survive long games, makes you more viable when shooting your big guns. Your secondaries are still very good.

The main question people have here is "omg no concealment are you DUBM!!!!" but I don't see going from 14.8 down to 13.3 to be worth 4 points in a Battleship that has to spend 8 points on the secondary skills and can only afford 1 of Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert. FP is vastly better in the current HE spam meta.

The main flags you want are Mike Yankee Soxsix (Secondary Range, Reload & Dispersion buff), November Foxtrot (-5% to consumables), Sierra Mike (you can get to nearly 40 knots with it), and India Delta (Heal buff). Hotel Yankee is fun if you have them spare (improved ramming, which is a surprisingly common event if you're playing Georgia correctly), and of course Juliet Charlie to stop detonations.

If you want to go full secondary then I would change:

• Change Main Armaments 1 to Auxiliary Armaments 1 (technically this is optional since this doesn't actually change the secondaries shooting stats).
  • Change Artillery Plotting 2 to Auxiliary Armaments 2
  • Get Basic Firing Training instead of Superintendent. I'm considering making this change when the consumable change hits, if we get a free respec because I'd end up with the same amount of heal charges as I did before since I'm a F2P player who can't afford premium consumables in every battle.

No IFHE, there's not enough benefit from swapping our Fire Prevention for it. Making those changes turns your secondaries from reloading every 3.80 seconds seconds to firing every 2.74 seconds which is a veritable hail of shells. Just keep in mind that this build is less effective at long range battles with the main guns, it doesn't have as many heals. It has a secondary benefit of making the ship deadly to enemy aircraft.

Edited by macktkau2

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:

Here is a thread with more Georgia discussion.

My Georgia is:

1. Main Armament 1 - You don't want your big guns to go down during a fight, you lose 33% of your firepower if that happens.
  2. Engine Boost Mod 1 - This special coal upgrade bumps your speed boost up to 4 and a half minutes action time. If you don't have the coal, then Damcon 1.
  3. Secondary Battery Mod 1 - We're building a secondary based ship. You want this. If you don't want a secondary build (why did you get this then?) then get Plotting Rom 1
  4. Damage Control 2 - No brainer choice in this HE spam meta.
  5. Concealment System Mod 1 - The other choices are just awful in comparison to one that reduces your detectability by 10% and increases enemy dispersion. The other two need massive buffs to make them even worth considering.
  6. Artillery Plotting Room 2 - The dispersion reduction is very useful on a ship with only 6 rifles. Georgia is an accurate ship already and this improves it.

My Captain Skills (note, I have Halsey in my Georgia at 19 points) are:

1. Priority Target
  2. Expert Marksman (Halsey improved version)
  3. Superintendent
  4. Advanced Firing Training
  5. Manual Secondaries
  6. Fire Prevention
  7. Preventative Maintenance (or Expert Loader I guess, if you have Halsey or a special captain with the improved version and are one of the people who actually like this skill).

This creates a more "all rounder" build then going full secondary. Makes it easier to survive long games, makes you more viable when shooting your big guns. Your secondaries are still very good.

The main question people have here is "omg no concealment are you DUBM!!!!" but I don't see going from 14.8 down to 13.3 to be worth 4 points in a Battleship. You should know enough by now how to play when you have a concealment like that.

The main flags you want are Mike Yankee Soxsix (Secondary Range, Reload & Dispersion buff), November Foxtrot (-5% to consumables), Sierra Mike (you can get to nearly 40 knots with it), and India Delta (Heal buff). Hotel Yankee is fun if you have them spare (improved ramming, which is a surprisingly common event if you're playing Georgia correctly), and of course Juliet Charlie to stop detonations.

If you want to go full secondary then I would change:

• Change Main Armaments 1 to Auxiliary Armaments 1 (technically this is optional since this doesn't actually change the secondaries shooting stats).
  • Change Artillery Plotting 2 to Auxiliary Armaments 2
  • Get Basic Firing Training instead of Superintendent. I'm considering making this change when the consumable change hits, if we get a free respec because I'd end up with the same amount of heal charges as I did before since I'm a F2P player who can't afford premium consumables in every battle.

No IFHE, there's not enough benefit from swapping our Fire Prevention for it. Making those changes turns your secondaries from reloading every 3.80 seconds seconds to firing every 2.74 seconds which is a veritable hail of shells. Just keep in mind that this build is less effective at long range battles with the main guns, it doesn't have as many heals. It has a secondary benefit of making the ship deadly to enemy aircraft.

Why take priority target?

Granted I play crusiers so u know everyone is firing out me all the time. I never go in a strait line and always adjust my speed.  That 1 point could go to somthing else.

Is Ohio better?

Members
830 posts
4,679 battles

I take Priority Target on everything because I want to know if I'm being targeted. PT gives you a vital piece of information, how many enemy players are looking at me and what I'm doing.

I find Expert Loader mediocre since it only works when your guns are fully reloaded, the build already has Preventative Maintenance.

Catapult Fighter skill is pointless because 1) Catapult Fighters are rubbish and 2) Georgia is better using the Spotter Plane. 

I've never found Incoming Fire Alert worth taking ever. PT is better because it means you can work out when enemies are likely going to try and shoot you and can move before they do, instead of reacting after they shoot.

Edited by macktkau2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,520 posts
10 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Why take priority target?

Granted I play crusiers so u know everyone is firing out me all the time. I never go in a strait line and always adjust my speed.  That 1 point could go to somthing else.

Is Ohio better?

I don't know of Ohio is "better" but I have it.  It's basically a T10 mix between the Montana and the Georgia.  It is the Montana hull, it has the Georiga's guns but 2 more barrels. It has great secondaries like the Georgia with the long reach but it doesn't have the speed the Georgia does.

I think it's great fun.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,093 posts
19,199 battles
2 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Over all just looking for others players thoughts and experiences ?

Mass is a good ship for people who don't play real well; you just charge in and let your secondaries carry you.

Georgia has GREAT main battery guns which can be devastating, also has decent secondaries, and can seriously influence any match. Yes, I own one; love it.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,520 posts
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Mass is a good ship for people who don't play real well; you just charge in and let your secondaries carry you.

Georgia has GREAT main battery guns which can be devastating, also has decent secondaries, and can seriously influence any match. Yes, I own one; love it.

While I love secondary ships and own all of the known good ones, let's be honest and say that they don't do all that much additional damage.  Charging in with the Mass and counting on the secondaries to carry you, isn't going to get you much, other than deleted by DDs.

The Mass is a fantastic ship and isn't at all just "for people who don't play real well".

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,040 posts
23,838 battles

I was never scared of a Mega Secondaries BB that had a max speed of 27kts.  Everything in high tier, if they didn't want the brawl, could easily deny Massachusetts.  I always found it funny that people were scared of Massachusetts when it was very easy to deny her the kind of fight where she excels at.

Georgia OTOH, if the opportunity is there to push for a fight where her Mega Secondaries can come into play, has the speed to do so.  With the 33kts base speed and Engine Boost for the lulz, she can impose herself on an unwilling opponent.

Speed is what truly separates Georgia and Massachusetts, whether you use the speed defensively to save the ship, or offensively for getting around the map or seeking a fight to use her Secondaries.

Georgia also has the benefit of 457mm guns for Overmatch purposes.  There are Cruisers in High Tier with 30mm upper belt sections.  Savvy Cruiser players would use that to bait shots to the side and then angle in, bouncing AP smaller than 430mm.  Hindenburg, Zao for example have such sections.  I've trolled many 406mm, 419mm, 420mm armed BBs with those armor sections.  I've witnessed a Zao charge, wiggle, and split between a Montana and Iowa and torpedoed both of them because the Zao player used the 30mm sections to bounce those USN BBs' 406mm AP.  But 430mm+ takes that tactic off the table because Overmatch sh*ts on that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
7 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

Artillery Plotting Room 2 - The dispersion reduction is very useful on a ship with only 6 rifles. Georgia is an accurate ship already and this improves it.

I got Halsey just before I reached coal affordability for this ship. I went all-in on secondaries (with the exception of BFT; I took Superintendent first for extra heals and speed boosts, but I'll add BFT later when Halsey gets more points). That includes Aux Armament Mod 2 in slot six.

I figured seeing that's more or less what I got the ship for, why not? Halsey is EL, EM, SI, AFT, MFCS because I play a lot of co-op and the battles aren't long enough for a full fire-prevention/BOS survival build to make a difference; I either live comfortably or I am thoroughly dead. Plus we get premium consumables by default soon, and with Georgia's short cooldowns on heal, that's going to make even more of a difference. Halsey is my full-bore US secondary meme captain. If I want to take the Georgia somewhere that survival matters more, I will put my US BB captain in.

That being said, as soon as my PTS port includes her (I don't think WG has echoed my current setup across yet), I might have a play around with a long range accuracy build - APR 1 and 2, and let the secondaries fall where they may.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[TF-60]
Members
431 posts
14,673 battles

I’ve used Georgia with my standard Montana captain and it is a borderline OP ship.  The main battery has cruiser dispersion and nice firing angles; my secondaries only reach 9.5 km but are awesome in a brawl.  The speed boost gets you out of trouble quickly and lets you run down an red ship easily

[A-I-M]
Members
3,034 posts
13,304 battles
11 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Just trying to get a line on their play style and how effective they are  … as I want to get one or the other.

Well, I would suggest both, particularly if you end up planning to get the Massachusetts first. It costs money, the Georgia can be had later for coal.

But getting both gives you greater utility of the dedicated captain build you will be using for either.

The speed on Georgia seems to make it the more impactful ship of the two, not so much for being able to keep enemies in secondary range, but for game-turning ambushes. Yes, many ships can run from the secondaries of the Massachusetts, but sometimes, getting them to run from an objective is all that a given moment needs.  Sometimes you engage them deep enough in your secondary range, that running takes time. Also, an enemy’s desire to get away from your secondaries may force a turnout and give him bad exposure to your main at close range.

[CAST]
Members
4,990 posts
3,513 battles

Georgia is better for sure.

First off, she's fast. Insane fast. I can't believe I'm not on drugs fast. Way faster than even the French BBs.

Second, Tier 8+ ships see Tier 10 ships often. And Tier 10 cruisers (aside from Mino and Smol) all have 30mm decks, with many also having 30mm upper belts. 16mm shells will ricochet on those when angled. But Georgia shells will punch right though. In fact, many people consider 16 inch guns to be powercrept after the IFHE changes.

Lastly, Georgia's guns are WAY more accurate at range.

Only thing that Mass has is full batteries alpha ... but that only matters if the shells actually connect.

[WORX]
Members
10,631 posts
18,539 battles

Take the Mass if you like secondary builds... Georgia if you want to be a high tier BB bully.