You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Skywalker

Private Profiles and Clans

86 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts

So I'm a new player and I discovered that I could make my stats private after a nasty encounter with a not so very nice player in randoms that used my stats as a tool to attack me.  Problem solved right? No, not so fast. It seems clans won't allow you to join if your profile is private. Shouldn't there be a setting that would allow clan leaders to see the stats they needed to see without exposing our selves to those outside of the clan? 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 7

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles

you could just ignore those that try to judge you based on your previous performances or improve your stats to be something that you are proud of and give those people nothing to attack you for.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,614 posts
25 minutes ago, Capt_Skywalker said:

So I'm a new player and I discovered that I could make my stats private after a nasty encounter with a not so very nice player in randoms that used my stats as a tool to attack me.  Problem solved right? No, not so fast. It seems clans won't allow you to join if your profile is private. Shouldn't there be a setting that would allow clan leaders to see the stats they needed to see without exposing our selves to those outside of the clan? 

If they are going to be so stuck up about something that is actually your right as a citizen in most countries, then tell them to go take a hike as you don't need to join their clan anyway. Clans that are hot and bothered about stats are full of themselves. What happens if they deem your stats "acceptable" but then they fall after you have joined the clan. Do they then kick you out?

That said, you can set your profile to allow you to send a link to someone who can then see your stats by clicking on it. Or, you can take a screenshot of your profile and PM them with it as an attachment.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,098 posts
4,081 battles

People will attack you for your stats if you have them visible, and assume you have something to hide if you hide them. You can't win with some people.

Anyone who goes after someone with 35 battles is a moron anyway, of course you suck at the game, we all sucked with 35 battles:Smile_smile: Heck, people go after me for ONLY a 54% WR. You have to be able to ignore those people, because they exist in real life too.

My opinion is that my stats are my stats, if you don't like them too bad. I'm not going to hide them. And I do assume that if you hide your stats, it's probably because you have bad stats, or your have decent stats but act like you're a unicum. But I'm not going to make fun of someone with bad stats for trying hard. The only time I'll go after your stats is if you act like your an expert on something that you suck in.

You can't avoid a-holes. So my view is just show your stats, ignore the haters, and roll with it. In fact, if you're looking for help often a good look at someone's stats can tell us what they're doing wrong so we can help.

On the clan commander thing, I think commanders and maybe recruiters should be able to see applicant's stats. Then again, if you're joining a clan with WR requirements they probably require you to have them open so they can make sure you continue to meet requirements. Bottom line is if you don't want to be bugged about your stats, don't join a clan with stat requirements. 

(I'm contractually obliged at this point to mention that the WOLF clans have no requirements, see the link in signature).

• Cool 2

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If they are going to be so stuck up about something that is actually your right as a citizen in most countries, then tell them to go take a hike as you don't need to join their clan anyway. Clans that are hot and bothered about stats are full of themselves. What happens if they deem your stats "acceptable" but then they fall after you have joined the clan. Do they then kick you out?

That said, you can set your profile to allow you to send a link to someone who can then see your stats by clicking on it. Or, you can take a screenshot of your profile and PM them with it as an attachment.

yes us stuck up clans will kick people if they prove to be bad players despite what their stats say.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,098 posts
4,081 battles
8 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

yes us stuck up clans will kick people if they prove to be bad players despite what their stats say.

What, you guys don't let players with 35 battles onto your competitive team? Shocking discrimination:Smile_trollface:

Clans can do whatever they want. I don't want to be part of a highly competitive clan with strict requirements. Some people do. There's a reason O7 has a reputation and WOLF5 doesn't, and I suspect the difference may partly be in the admission requirements:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
4 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

What, you guys don't let players with 35 battles onto your competitive team? Shocking discrimination:Smile_trollface:

Clans can do whatever they want. I don't want to be part of a highly competitive clan with strict requirements. Some people do. There's a reason O7 has a reputation and WOLF5 doesn't, and I suspect the difference may partly be in the admission requirements:Smile_teethhappy:

we get labelled as "stuck up" and "elitists" but its people that dont understand that we are a competitive clan we dont want people that cant perform in random battles or those that only play for fun, how do they think they will go at international level?

its like theres this one mindset everyone must only play for fun and enjoy seeing waves tough their boats, nothing competitive is allowed in this online pvp game.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 5

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,016 posts
12,311 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Fair comment Snarg; The clan I am a member of does not allow hidden stats, purely for the reason of all being open with each other. We do not criticize each other, or op's, stat wise.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,614 posts
10 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Fair comment Snarg; The clan I am a member of does not allow hidden stats, purely for the reason of all being open with each other. We do not criticize each other, or op's, stat wise.

I hid my stats because I was getting tired of all the "naming and shaming" that was going on in both the game and here in the forums. I actually had people in the game quit just because my CV's win percentage was 5% lower than the other CV's. In the forums you still get those who lambaste what they call the "48 percenters" for being 'noobs,' even though that's where most of the players actually lie, stats-wise. I just got tired of the whole thing.

Also, stats can be manipulated.   Here are my overall stats on my main account.

image.png.3f6be7f966a187ca49a1201a6bc9b1da.png

With 10,000 battles, that doesn't move and hasn't for years.

Here are the stats from a test account I made and played a hundred or so games on to see what would happen.

Win rate 68.12%
Super Unicum
- -
Personal Rating (PR)  2 535
Super Unicum
- -

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[GWG]
Members
6,948 posts
13,490 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Skywalker said:

Easy....    Turn them on to join a clan.

Turn them back off when you feel like it.

It doesn't cost anything.  Why is this a problem?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,388 posts
15,783 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Skywalker said:

That is a nice idea +1

Join a Wolf clan we care not about stats.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,339 posts
12,347 battles

Reading this thread got me thinking. I think there should be 2 additional options to hiding stats. Hide stats to all (current), hide stats to all but those in contacts (solves OPs concern). Additionally, button to hide stats including what clan you are in.

Members
2,819 posts
36,540 battles
1 hour ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

we get labelled as "stuck up" and "elitists" but its people that dont understand that we are a competitive clan we dont want people that cant perform in random battles or those that only play for fun, how do they think they will go at international level?

its like theres this one mindset everyone must only play for fun and enjoy seeing waves tough their boats, nothing competitive is allowed in this online pvp game.

What in flying dog poop does going International mean? Nobody wants to go international anyway. What for? There's no pro league here. No matter how much you try. WG may never sponsor a league, pay players so they have a career of it, and allow other sponsor endorsements to players that can never be controlled.

Yes controlled. All leagues do it. That is why most have collective bargaining agreements with players.

Esports is not a career, it's a lifetime of carpal tunnel syndrome.

I am glad players are not buying in to intense Gaming seriousness. It just shows that the many are far more intelligent than the few.

Enjoy your few times in the sun. Because it always fades away and leads to darkness.

I prefer fun. I will take fun over, drama.

If I ever form a clan, I would have one requirment: have fun.

Anybody that busts a blood vessel over their stats or anyone else's needs to take a step back and realize, it's a game.

Opening poster, forget about the critics. But if a player lends you respectful advice, take it into consideration.

Accept no clan that is self absorbed with stats. Vanity never wins, it dies in cold darkness.

Play your game. If you need help, find a clan that is open with everything and is nurturing. Those that help you without asking for nothing in return are golden.

Any player that looks up stats in a game in progress is probably not paying attention to their own game play.

Such obsession is not healthy because you can only control what you can control.

And you opening poster control what you want to be in this game. Let no one attempt to define you. They can't.

Be yourself, do your best, and find players that are casual and are laid back.

Clans that offer you something often want something in return. But clans that just would like you to show up, play for fun, communicate, and just want to aspire to improve without being pressured to play batpoop crazy tournaments, those are the good ones.

Yes, hide stats and many know you are hiding something. Be open about who you are. If they don't accept, then they don't deserve you.

You will get better. Find a nice clan. You will be surprised, but often nice ones will invite you. You should never seek, but be sought after.

If people like you, even in gracious defeat, if they respect you, then they are good folks.

The world can have as many a-##$holes as it can carry, but I have been known to turn a few into decent human beings.

Even players that walk the path of pressure, often contemplate what life would be like to keep it simple.

Good luck Captains, even the misguided ones.

This captain already has his star that guides him. I can do whatever I want. :cap_cool:

• Cool 4
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 6

Members
2,819 posts
36,540 battles
27 minutes ago, paradat said:

That is a nice idea +1

Join a Wolf clan we care not about stats.

I highly endorse Wolf. They are always polite. And they are just as they say. They often get filled up but they have as many membership clans as there are letters in the alphabet.

I never was a member, but I can not recall a single instance in the 5 years since open Beta of anything a member did that was wrong.

I don't know if my credibility means anything, but opening poster, you should try them out. They will help you. A classy bunch. :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,674 posts
7,465 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Skywalker said:

There is no reason to care about the opinion of someone who gets mad at the stats of a 35 battle player, I wouldn't even bother hiding my stats if it was me.

Members
443 posts
451 battles

Everyone is here for fun, unless you’re a psychopath or something. People enjoy serious KOTS competition, other people enjoy frolicking in Co-Op, and I like swearing in Russian. There’s something for everyone. Personally, I leave the stats on and turn the chat off. The only people I really care to talk with are my div mates, and while it’s true they make fun of my poor play, I know I’m a much better golfer than they are, so again - it all works out.

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
1 minute ago, kagero__ said:

Everyone is here for fun, unless you’re a psychopath or something. People enjoy serious KOTS competition, other people enjoy frolicking in Co-Op, and I like swearing in Russian. There’s something for everyone. Personally, I leave the stats on and turn the chat off. The only people I really care to talk with are my div mates, and while it’s true they make fun of my poor play, I know I’m a much better golfer than they are, so again - it all works out.

What do you shoot?

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles

I believe you can put the player on ignore in game. I just do it mentally.SOme people die early in the game and have nothing better than to criticize everyone else. They prolly not happy at home, not happy with themselves, think they the best. Just ignore them.

There is lots of WOLF clans.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
33 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

What in flying dog poop does going International mean? Nobody wants to go international anyway. What for? There's no pro league here. No matter how much you try. WG may never sponsor a league, pay players so they have a career of it, and allow other sponsor endorsements to players that can never be controlled.

Yes controlled. All leagues do it. That is why most have collective bargaining agreements with players.

Esports is not a career, it's a lifetime of carpal tunnel syndrome.

I am glad players are not buying in to intense Gaming seriousness. It just shows that the many are far more intelligent than the few.

Enjoy your few times in the sun. Because it always fades away and leads to darkness.

I prefer fun. I will take fun over, drama.

If I ever form a clan, I would have one requirment: have fun.

Anybody that busts a blood vessel over their stats or anyone else's needs to take a step back and realize, it's a game.

Opening poster, forget about the critics. But if a player lends you respectful advice, take it into consideration.

Accept no clan that is self absorbed with stats. Vanity never wins, it dies in cold darkness.

Play your game. If you need help, find a clan that is open with everything and is nurturing. Those that help you without asking for nothing in return are golden.

Any player that looks up stats in a game in progress is probably not paying attention to their own game play.

Such obsession is not healthy because you can only control what you can control.

And you opening poster control what you want to be in this game. Let no one attempt to define you. They can't.

Be yourself, do your best, and find players that are casual and are laid back.

Clans that offer you something often want something in return. But clans that just would like you to show up, play for fun, communicate, and just want to aspire to improve without being pressured to play batpoop crazy tournaments, those are the good ones.

Yes, hide stats and many know you are hiding something. Be open about who you are. If they don't accept, then they don't deserve you.

You will get better. Find a nice clan. You will be surprised, but often nice ones will invite you. You should never seek, but be sought after.

If people like you, even in gracious defeat, if they respect you, then they are good folks.

The world can have as many a-##$holes as it can carry, but I have been known to turn a few into decent human beings.

Even players that walk the path of pressure, often contemplate what life would be like to keep it simple.

Good luck Captains, even the misguided ones.

This captain already has his star that guides him. I can do whatever I want. :cap_cool:

This is pretty hypocritical you understand that right? you start by saying there is no competitive, esports is not a career (this is by far the dumbest thing ive read as many esports players have made more money in 1 month then most of us will our entire life) i must only play for fun, the usual boomer chat and then say you can do what ever you want?

that was a long novel that didnt really have an impactful statement in it, just kind of long winded nothing. I could easily counterpoint everything you have said but that would take too long so ill do a few.

Yes there are international competitions, NA has actually been successful 2 king of the seas (kots)  in a row now including an entertaining series against the SEA server and absolutely dominating the EU server. Fortnite Dab Emote - Pro Game Guides

you say i must play for fun but thats boring to me, i and alot of others require higher stimulation and end game goals of which we turn to stats, you see winning is easy and boring so we entertain ourselves via building an attractive looking account with high damage and high kill games, i could go into the details about it but judging by what you typed i dont think you are interested.

so for you to tell me that we are misguided and must only play to what you find fun is very hypocritical and a pretty boomer thing to say and kind of came across as a creepy priest.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Members
549 posts
3 hours ago, Capt_Skywalker said:

NEETs love to brag about WR and shame others for thier WR.  Keeping your stats private is a great way to troll and anger the deadbeats.    

• Boring 1

Members
443 posts
451 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

What do you shoot?

Ended the year with a four handicap, but back in the day I was scratch at my local club and managed to eek out a championship two years in a row...It’s a small club. 😛 

[BONKS]
Members
70 posts
7,542 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If they are going to be so stuck up about something that is actually your right as a citizen in most countries,

What???  Are you.... are you implying that clans that require a minimum level of competency for their members infringe on people's rights?  What rights?  How?

Clans that are hot and bothered about stats are full of themselves

Or they're clans that want to consistently reach hurricane and compete in KOTS, which means that each member has to show a certain level of proficiency.  

What happens if they deem your stats "acceptable" but then they fall after you have joined the clan. Do they then kick you out?

Yes

2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Here are the stats from a test account I made and played a hundred or so games on to see what would happen.

1000 games on a new account is a functionally nonexistent sample size, let alone "a hundred or so," especially since most competitive clans really only care about your T10 stats, since that's the most common tier for comp play.  No one really cares if you can club new players in a Clemson for a thousand games if you're a negative asset to the team in a Shima, for example.

1 hour ago, kagero__ said:

Personally, I leave the stats on and turn the chat off.

That's fine, but I would recommend keeping chat on.  As much as people get flamed in chat, it's still an incredibly useful tool to actually get some semblance of coordination in randoms, and that benefit far outweighs the potential negatives, especially considering how you can just choose to ignore people.  Like, turning off chat seems to be the prototypical example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

24 minutes ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

NEETs love to brag about WR

I'm an attorney and I'm proud of my winrate.  Tell me more about how I'm a deadbeat.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Members
2,819 posts
36,540 battles
29 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

This is pretty hypocritical you understand that right? you start by saying there is no competitive, esports is not a career (this is by far the dumbest thing ive read as many esports players have made more money in 1 month then most of us will our entire life) i must only play for fun, the usual boomer chat and then say you can do what ever you want?

that was a long novel that didnt really have an impactful statement in it, just kind of long winded nothing. I could easily counterpoint everything you have said but that would take too long so ill do a few.

Yes there are international competitions, NA has actually been successful 2 king of the seas (kots)  in a row now including an entertaining series against the SEA server and absolutely dominating the EU server. Fortnite Dab Emote - Pro Game Guides

you say i must play for fun but thats boring to me, i and alot of others require higher stimulation and end game goals of which we turn to stats, you see winning is easy and boring so we entertain ourselves via building an attractive looking account with high damage and high kill games, i could go into the details about it but judging by what you typed i dont think you are interested.

so for you to tell me that we are misguided and must only play to what you find fun is very hypocritical and a pretty boomer thing to say and kind of came across as a creepy priest.

Ah, so it's about money. I got that all wrong. Esports. It's short term. You Burn out fast. Even the so called lifetime of money in a month. How much is that?

Because unless you are pulling down 6 million dollars a year after taxes, and that career only lasts 5 before STDs hit, then that would not be enough. And I can't even name one WG professional player.

Because if you did make that much, then you should put it away, invest, and not play anymore.

Winning too much make you bored?

Then you probably would lose it if you lost it all in one night. I can only imagine the implosion.

No, it's not Boomer talk it's common sense.

No argument that you aspire to be something. Really good at shooty botes. But may be a hapless fool in the end if you want to be remembered by it.

So go ahead. Play to win that ultimate money whatever, but between the sycophants and friends, you will find the line has blurred.

And when you realize that you are the greatest at one game, but suck at everything else, and is tied down by unrealistic expectations of esports, you will remember this post as you reflect in your last days that you didn't stop and smell the roses.

Fun is entertaining. Being yourself is entertaining.

Nobody is going to watch someone win all the time. People want to relate to the Everyman, the person that struggles and ultimately does great. People will watch players that evolve, and are not afraid to try new things.

Courage to do something, to explore, support a worthy cause.

It's not creepy priest talk. Sounds to me you met one and concluded all priests are creepy.

That is a prejudicial statement. If you got a problem with people that just want to enjoy life by being filthy casual, then I got news for ya.

There are lots more filthy casuals than there are of you.

Work on that sailor. Sounds to me your gig line is not straight, a soup sandwich in attitude, and your kicked numbers are all over the place.

No person in life is completely happy with a trophy, they want to be challenged, they want to see if they have limits, they challenge the establishment, and that leads to revolution.

I know a lot about revolution. You might say it runs in the family.

1066, 1776, 1861, and present day. :cap_cool:

• Confused 3

Members
2,819 posts
36,540 battles
2 minutes ago, bl4ckh4wk64 said:

What???  Are you.... are you implying that clans that require a minimum level of competency for their members infringe on people's rights?  What rights?  How?

Or they're clans that want to consistently reach hurricane and compete in KOTS, which means that each member has to show a certain level of proficiency.  

Yes

1000 games on a new account is a functionally nonexistent sample size, let alone "a hundred or so," especially since most competitive clans really only care about your T10 stats, since that's the most common tier for comp play.  No one really cares if you can club new players in a Clemson for a thousand games if you're a negative asset to the team in a Shima, for example.

That's fine, but I would recommend keeping chat on.  As much as people get flamed in chat, it's still an incredibly useful tool to actually get some semblance of coordination in randoms, and that benefit far outweighs the potential negatives, especially considering how you can just choose to ignore people.  Like, turning off chat seems to be the prototypical example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm an attorney and I'm proud of my winrate.  Tell me more about how I'm a deadbeat.

Lawyers. Figures. LOL

• Cool 1