You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Mean CV Sank My DD!

23 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,592 posts

I can't remember the last time a CV actually sank my DD but it happened just now. Of course, I was the last ship afloat on my team and had revealed my position by firing on a BB to farm a couple more fires before the clock ran out too.

image.thumb.png.11f0734b1d57d2fa71a22125ffe8edc4.png

• Funny 7
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 7

[USCC2]
Members
6,050 posts

From what I understand it isn't the CV, but rather the combination of the CV, the spotting and the other 3-4 ships firing at the DD that sinks it. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 5

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i've hit them with torps, sunk them with torps, but not done much damage with rockets... if anything i just may have got the finishing blow...  in pretty much all cases...

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles

Dodging skills not located....     

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,977 posts
20,643 battles

So you had a 200 point lead with solo warrior and you just had to farm more damage...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,592 posts
9 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

So you had a 200 point lead with solo warrior and you just had to farm more damage...

Nah, the enemy team had like six ships left and all the caps. I had been alone for five minutes and was just goofing around farming damage before the time ran out.

image.png.aaed28bad51848f418a6ca7db4b4088a.png

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
20 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

The sad thing is that you know someone at some point in time has done just that... even if the OP on this occasion did not.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I can't remember the last time a CV actually sank my DD but it happened just now. Of course, I was the last ship afloat on my team and had revealed my position by firing on a BB to farm a couple more fires before the clock ran out too.

The only times I have ever sunk a dd by myself with planes is when the Dr goes cv hunting.  Even then the other ships get a shot or 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,977 posts
20,643 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Nah, the enemy team had like six ships left and all the caps. I had been alone for five minutes and was just goofing around farming damage before the time ran out.

image.png.aaed28bad51848f418a6ca7db4b4088a.png

I figured, but just had to chime in with that "win harder" strategy. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,977 posts
20,643 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The sad thing is that you know someone at some point in time has done just that... even if the OP on this occasion did not.

Just yesterday we had a 2 cap advantage,  4 ship lead.

Instead of holding them off at b.

A des Moines went north to kill CV.

A hindy went south to kill CV.

(They only had 1 cv)

The 2 low health battleships tried to hold them off of b....

We lost due to cruisers trying to kill CV and win harder....

[8492]
Members
474 posts
2,712 battles

I have got pretty good at dodging rockets in DDs based on my experiences playing a CV. 

One thing you will notice when you CV is that often when you spot the DD you can't line up an attack right away because you will miss. So you may fly past him or circle around so you can properly aim. If the DD takes account on this and begins to position himself to make the CV player miscalculate it will often lead to a miss. 

I have done this many times in a DD. I'm not saying its perfect, or that a good CV player won't adjust and still get you, but many CVs are potatoes so it works.  

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
582 posts
17,492 battles

It's not the CV that kills you, it's the spotting.

This is how WG wants to close the skill gap and make CV popular. Normally a potato captain would be useless in any other ship, but put him on a CV and watch him contribute to kills just by circling over a target. This is the same exploit 899 Musashi divs use.

Thus the dumbing down of the meta continues.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,884 posts
9,912 battles

2 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Normally a potato captain would be useless in any other ship, but put him on a CV and watch him contribute to kills just by circling over a target. This is the same exploit 899 Musashi divs use.

Doesn't work if you have decent AA on the target & a CV who just circles around isn't spotting the rest of the map.

As for the 899 divs, that's an exploit that I've seen once in dozens of Tier VIII& IX battles over the last few weeks - and the team doing it lost.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,592 posts
4 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

It's not the CV that kills you, it's the spotting.

This is how WG wants to close the skill gap and make CV popular. Normally a potato captain would be useless in any other ship, but put him on a CV and watch him contribute to kills just by circling over a target. This is the same exploit 899 Musashi divs use.

Not much different than me sailing 5.5 km away from a Grozovoi in my legendary upgrade Gearing and watching my team's cruisers rain fire down on him as he wonders who the heck is spotting him.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
582 posts
17,492 battles

Right, but you can't do this without serious risk to yourself as the spotting DD.

And you can't possibly do it from spawn.

• Cool 3

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
14,984 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I am sure you are trolling, but I will play along.

Since your stats are hidden (why, pray tell, would that be?), I can't tell how often you play DD. I am guessing it's not very often since you are making this claim.

You have also unintentionally admitted that when a DD is the last one alive in a CV game he's basically dead.

And you didn't run around for five minutes as the only survivor. 11 ships did not die in five minutes. And you're obviously not that good to survive for five minutes as a lone DD with a CV against.

You're trolling. Too easy. Sad.

Next.

Edited by Lt_Newcastle

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,702 posts
3 hours ago, SKurj said:

i've hit them with torps, sunk them with torps, but not done much damage with rockets... if anything i just may have got the finishing blow...  in pretty much all cases...

Rockets effectiveness against DDs got nerfed pretty badly because bad DD mains wouldn't stop crying about something that could counter them. Sorta like how they keep crying about radar, hydro, WASD hacks, accurate rapid fire guns, accurate HE fire, SAP shells, etc.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,592 posts
5 minutes ago, Lt_Newcastle said:

I am sure you are trolling, but I will play along.

Since your stats are hidden (why, pray tell, would that be?), I can't tell how often you play DD. I am guessing it's not very often since you are making this claim.

You have also unintentionally admitted that when a DD is the last one alive in a CV game he's basically dead.

And you didn't run around for five minutes as the only survivor. 11 ships did not die in five minutes. And you're obviously not that good to survive for five minutes as a lone DD with a CV against.

You're trolling. Too easy. Sad.

Next.

Stats are hidden because I got tired of people saying in the game that they might as well quit because my CV had a lower win percentages than the enemy CV had. 

image.png.e7b996cbc73d8dd20999fdc45fa83202.png

The Gearing is my most-played ship. The last time I can recall being sunk by a DD with it before this was by a Lexington several months ago. It got a final blow in on me after a couple of cruisers had lowered my hitpoints to almost nothing. Keep your AA off and CVs have a very hard time finding the Gearing with its 2.6 km detection. What usually gets my Gearing is a gunboat DD that I stumble upon (which is why I now run RPF) or a cruiser with radar.

I could have stayed alive until the enemy won on points, even with a CV in the game, but I am working on the Campaign where I need to set fires with a DD.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,592 posts
Just now, Zaydin said:

Rockets effectiveness against DDs got nerfed pretty badly because bad DD mains wouldn't stop crying about something that could counter them. Sorta like how they keep crying about radar, hydro, WASD hacks, accurate rapid fire guns, accurate HE fire, SAP shells, etc.

I run Tiny Tims on my Midway because they do a better job against CAs and BBs. However, it's hard to hit a DD with them. If my team is in range, I usually just hover over DDs and let the team fire at them until they are sunk or the DDs smoke up or go hide behind a rock. If they smoke I return with torpedoes to try to flush them out. If they hide behind a rock I send in dive bombers.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
5 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Rockets effectiveness against DDs got nerfed pretty badly because bad DD mains wouldn't stop crying about something that could counter them.

More to the tune of rockets deal disproportionate amounts of DMG, compared to the size and the no AA def of a ship.

Bad DD mains have nothing to do with this...

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,702 posts
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I run Tiny Tims on my Midway because they do a better job against CAs and BBs. However, it's hard to hit a DD with them. If my team is in range, I usually just hover over DDs and let the team fire at them until they are sunk or the DDs smoke up or go hide behind a rock. If they smoke I return with torpedoes to try to flush them out. If they hide behind a rock I send in dive bombers.

HVARs are nearly worthless these days. Hard to get a solid hit in on DDs because their accuracy and aim time was bludgeoned to death by WG.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles
16 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

HVARs are nearly worthless these days. Hard to get a solid hit in on DDs because their accuracy and aim time was bludgeoned to death by WG.

HVAR rockets are still a death sentence to DDs.  Takes way too long to fly an attack out against a well played AA destroyer and then wiff due to terribad TT dispersion.   While I don't run HVAR in randoms....  I won't carry anything but those in Ranked with Lexi or Midway.   Not a lot of pen damage on BBs and CA but still still good fire chances,  If it's   CL/DD,    HVAR are nasty....  If you are facing better players consistently...   I'll take my chances with HVAR if I have to play USN CVs       

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,592 posts

In this match, there were five radar ships and a CV on the other team, what could go wrong for a DD?

Well, the CV only spotted me, briefly, twice. It was radar that did me in. I was finally trapped by two Moskvas and a Smolensk when they spotted me as I was gunning down a Shimakaze. They kept me under intermittent radar until they sank me but I got one more of them in the process. I would have gotten the Moskva that sank me too but I judged his dodge wrong. However, with three of their best ships messing with me over at the edge of the map my team was able to take all of the caps and thus take the lead.

image.thumb.png.23450ec735ec623f59e133260eef527a.png