You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

German Battleship play style

15 comments in this topic

Members
360 posts

What other nation's have a similar play style of the German Battleships? I seem to enjoy and like the German Battleship's. Been playing the New York and like that one so far other than it catches fire more than I would like. The Iron Duke seems to give me trouble getting reliable penetration with AP.  I like the bow on or angle towards to enemy style, that seems to get me good success. Keep in mind that I play in co-op and any opinions are appreciated.

[KSF]
Privateers
352 posts
12,329 battles

Closest it probably the French, though their guns actually work beyond 15km unlike the Germans. Russians also like getting in close, but don't have quite the same brawling potential. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

If you want a tanky ship, than the soviet BBs. When properly played they can be more tanky than german BBs. 

If you are talking about secundarie BBs, none. The french Alsace and Republique have long range secundaries, but they dont have the pen bonus and french BBs are not tanky at all, so moving into secundarie range can be much harder. 

If you want to bow tank playstyle US or soviet BBs are good choices. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,914 posts
26,891 battles

The Massachusetts and Ohio come close. 

But seeing KM BB players lately, you may get the Yamato... all they do is sniping from spawn. :Smile_trollface:

[THREE]
Members
2,142 posts
10,897 battles
32 minutes ago, Xlap said:

If you want a If you are talking about secundarie BBs, none. The french Alsace and Republique have long range secundaries, but they dont have the pen bonus and french BBs are not tanky at all, so moving into secondarie range can be much harder. 

Alsace, when speced with DE instead of IFHE, is actually quite a potent secondary ship. I took aim mod and main bat reload thou, which gave a highish 9km range. Being able to set 20ish fires a match is nice.

Republique, nope. The low hp of the secondary turrets and central, tightly packed layout, one good HE salvo and their getting taken out.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,342 posts
6,237 battles

If you mean being tanky, then Russians would satisfy your needs. Just bow tank at a corridor (to protect your soft sides), and you'll be golden, especially when anything comes within 15km.

If you mean usable Secondaries, then French. AFAIK, they supposedly traded armor for being speedy... you get a fast battleship starting at Tier VI (whereas others get it from Tier VII or VIII), and starting at Tier VIII you even get the Speed Boost consumable. Their Secondaries come very close to the German's; almost equal range, but poorer penetration. I heard that If you want to use the French Secondaries, then you're better off going for starting more fires than trying to actually pen stuffs.

My 2 Secondary shells.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, TheBigM145 said:

Closest it probably the French, though their guns actually work beyond 15km unlike the Germans. Russians also like getting in close, but don't have quite the same brawling potential. 

Russians also tend to have rather weak citadels if hit side on as well.

Members
145 posts
7,812 battles
2 hours ago, wildcat18 said:

What other nation's have a similar play style of the German Battleships? I seem to enjoy and like the German Battleship's. Been playing the New York and like that one so far other than it catches fire more than I would like. The Iron Duke seems to give me trouble getting reliable penetration with AP.  I like the bow on or angle towards to enemy style, that seems to get me good success. Keep in mind that I play in co-op and any opinions are appreciated.

Why not just stick with the German BBs. I have always loved both their main and secondary guns. I just wish that they did not catch fire quite so easily. 

[BNKR]
Members
1,624 posts
2,487 battles

For a new line to grind, do the Soviet battleships. It’s a breeze and most of the ships are monsters for their tier, culminating in the totally balanced, historically significant Kremlin. 

• Funny 1

[UN1]
Members
1,210 posts
3,638 battles

Soviet battleships are a lot easier to play than secondary ships. My only issue with this line is that they're pretty much all exactly the same ship, except the Izmael. Just don't show broadside. 

German secondary ships are very strong up close but sacrifice their mid/mid-long to do so, making them hard and sometime frustrating to play.

(The mid/mid-long is where most of the battleship meta takes place.)

French secondary ships like the Gascogne, Alsace, and Republique are not worth the investment since the HE/IFHE rework. Their 152mm guns didn't get any adjustment so they no longer penetrate 32mm of armor. My parsing shows pretty significant reduction in damage against battleships. You can go straight fire damage builds, but fire damage is only half the secondary equation, and it's fully healable. Like the above poster said, too, the Republique will lose all her secondaries real quick because of their placement.

American brawlers (premium only ships) are the best designed. High secondary damage output, good mount survivability, and the best firing angles hands down. Additionally, American brawlers perform just fine in the standard meta while in a full secondary build, making them fun, easy, and effective to play.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
2 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Alsace, when speced with DE instead of IFHE, is actually quite a potent secondary ship. I took aim mod and main bat reload thou, which gave a highish 9km range. Being able to set 20ish fires a match is nice.

Republique, nope. The low hp of the secondary turrets and central, tightly packed layout, one good HE salvo and their getting taken out.

Yes, french secundaries can be effctive, the problem with french seundaries is that you need a huge investment to make them viable and on top of that the ship itself is not very suitable to push, french BBs are coated in 32 mm of armor, they just melt under fire. Specially because, with such a heavy investment to make the secundaries viable, you are not using a survivability build. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,874 posts
17,913 battles
1 hour ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Why not just stick with the German BBs. I have always loved both their main and secondary guns. I just wish that they did not catch fire quite so easily. 

If you brawl with the KMs, gotta bring all the fire prevention you can get.  All the related captain skills, modules, flags, premium consumables.  And know when to pop the consumables.  All fire damage is repairable, so playing while keeping open options to take a breather and repair is also important.

• Cool 1

Members
360 posts
6 hours ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

I plan on staying with the German Battleship's, I just want a few other ship lines just to keep it from getting boring.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
11 hours ago, wildcat18 said:

Been playing the New York and like that one so far other than it catches fire more than I would like.

Just a coincidence. All ships of a given tier have the same fire resistance coefficient, except CVs, which all have a T6 coefficient, regardless of tier.

Where you get some ships being more "prone" to burning, is that they merit specific builds that may be missing survivability skills. (for example, a secondary-spec ship might have BFT instead of BoS, and AFT instead of FP, so can have 2 superstructure fires, and fires burn longer)

As far as other BB lines, I've enjoyed IJN and USN, as well as KM.