Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mad_Dog_Magoo

Submarine torpedo evasion

10 comments in this topic

Members
85 posts
18,145 battles

The German navy later in WWII did develop and use an acoustic passive homing torpedo. to counter it a device designated as FXR was created. (ships personel called it Foxer). it consistedv of two metal bars mounted next to each other and when towed behind the ship water flow over the metal bars made them chatter together making a lot of noise that hopefully the homing torpedo would home in on instead of the ships screws. the main problem with FXR is that it made noise all of the time. (it could not be turned off)

later the FXR was replaced by a towed noise maker called Fanfare. its towed fish was electrically powered. it consisted of metal bars that spun round and round inside of a metal cylinder which also made a lot of noise. the big advantage of Fanfare is that it could be turned on or off or it could be set to cycle on and off. 

It would be nice if one of these devices could be added to wows ships.

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,427 battles

I think I would rather see the homing gimmick removed. I Wonder if it was put in the game to make subs less boring. 

A more realistic game play would be much more situational as was the historical mode.  Subs trended to only hit fleet warships if the sub happened to be in the right spot or the ship was doing something stupid. Probably not making for exciting game play. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,042 posts
35,988 battles

The homing gimmick is one thing that is widely despised. Next time the devs do something like this, we should widely praise it instead.... 

INTERN: "But the players love that feature!"
DEV: Nerf it! At once!

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[B-Z]
Members
156 posts
22,009 battles

Solution: Don't sail broadside. Cant ping the rear of a ship if the front is in the way.

Members
2,804 posts
36,531 battles
31 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

The homing gimmick is one thing that is widely despised. Next time the devs do something like this, we should widely praise it instead.... 

INTERN: "But the players love that feature!"
DEV: Nerf it! At once!

Just like a group of players said subs will ruin the game. WG: nyet, put them in. We tell Sub Octavian later.

"We will never have subs in the game."

"We didn't nerf CVs to the ground."

Of those two statements. One is not true. The other got overturned by committee and they told Sub Octavian later. 

CVs were not nerfed to the ground, only to waterline. Then AA got bludgeoned by Lucille. Russian BB line got created in a broom closet in the Kremlin. There they found Nikita Khrushchev's crayon doodles and drawings. Stalin's wish list, and VP's shirtless Capt. Of these, only the shirtless Capt was rejected. WG claims the Capt would be overdoing it.

Members
2,804 posts
36,531 battles

Best torpedo evasive technique is to division with a couple of Smolly players.

The Sub Capt, suddenly having a fiery flashback, will target them and you can get the Sub. A CV division might work too.

But I didn't fall off the turnip truck that hard, so I won't be doing divisions. LOL 😎

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,629 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I think I would rather see the homing gimmick removed. I Wonder if it was put in the game to make subs less boring. 

A more realistic game play would be much more situational as was the historical mode.  Subs trended to only hit fleet warships if the sub happened to be in the right spot or the ship was doing something stupid. Probably not making for exciting game play. 

I think you are right, it's in the game to make subs less boring. Another solution could have been to make torps super fast.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

actually why not fit the noisemaker to the capital ships as a consumable with a cool down...  that way BB's and CV's will either have to be attacked with dumbfire methods or a % reduction of homing capability ... perhaps no chance or limited chance to citadel them.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,172 posts
9,416 battles

The homing torpedo is a failed design and it really isn't going to be used much by players if they don't change things. 

Simply put, as a sub, you will have a SIGNIFICANTLY better torpedo hit rate and damage just by firing the two front torpedoes via regular lead-aim indicator. Why? The enemy doesnt get a warning a sub is pinging you ... the torps have a short detection range and good speed and decent damage. They reload reasonably fast. 

In test server I tried many 'methods' of playing ... using pure homing torps from near max range or mid range or short range. The result was abysmal failure with many games of zero damage. Homing torps simply SUCK.  

...using 'dolphin' attacks only (enter target ship's 2km assured detection range while you are at 7m depth, surfacing and point blank slamming torps into it, diving before you hit its hull, surfacing again right after it sails over you and hit it with rear torps in another dolphin attack and then dive deep and escape.

Cruisers and DDs tend to die with the front torps. BBs usually will die to the rear torps if they had a bit of damage before you started your dolphin run... and a damaged BB is essentially guaranteed given the slow speed of subs to get to the front and their slow underwater stalk speed. 

Dolphin attacks are gaming-the-game and it borders on exploit but its 100% allowed by the mechanics. High success rate, very high damage and moderate risk from BB secondaries. All you need to learn is simply to not attack when you in range of more than 1 ship's secondaries. 

... and using stalk then surface and fire torps at close range while still outside the range of anyone that could detect me. This method resulted in the most kills but not the highest damage (takes longer to stalk and position for a shot) but it was the most realistic approximation to sub combat. 

Sign in to follow this