You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lonewolfpj

An idea to get Tone in the game

19 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
3,185 posts
8,161 battles

I know this is an old topic from a ship people have been asking about since the beta days. But will we ever see the Tone? I know they wanted a carrier hybrid game mode, which they could never fit into the game.  Then they did the CV rework, which makes the Tone an impossible ship to fit into the game. So I would recommend that they add a special consumable instead. 

I think the consumable should be an increased plane spotting method. So instead of the one or two spotter planes, you now have 4, and they would allow maybe some team spotting buff, or they would at least provide better torp spotting. This idea might be trash, but I would love to get the Tone into the game, and that might be the only way it would work. 

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Been here since beginning. Heard about Tone since beginning. Never missed that boat. Too many others available for it to matter to me. Couldn't care less either way. 

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,315 posts
6,776 battles
10 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I know this is an old topic from a ship people have been asking about since the beta days. But will we ever see the Tone? I know they wanted a carrier hybrid game mode, which they could never fit into the game.  Then they did the CV rework, which makes the Tone an impossible ship to fit into the game. So I would recommend that they add a special consumable instead. 

I think the consumable should be an increased plane spotting method. So instead of the one or two spotter planes, you now have 4, and they would allow maybe some team spotting buff, or they would at least provide better torp spotting. This idea might be trash, but I would love to get the Tone into the game, and that might be the only way it would work. 

Oink Goltz! 

Recce planes do not really exist in the game. They always played a very important role to locate the enemy fleets. But the idea of a spotting buff is really good...

Good post much better than the usual long and boring ones.

Oink!

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,570 posts
17,760 battles

I think player controlled tone with bot planes would work just fine. Player has an air attack consumable button. Target an enemy ship and click the Air attack button. Continue to fight you ship as normal and your bot planes execute an air attack. So limited plane load on a ship like Tone.. so I don't know maybe a standard of 3 charges would work.

I actually think some form of this is not only possible for WG but likely at some point.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,324 posts
14,923 battles

I never understood the fascination over something that never happened, at least the Ise actually existed. She was a heavy cruiser throughout the war until she was sunk in Kure harbor in 1945, and would have been a poor cruiser and a poor CV in hybrid form. The Japanese navy didn't need carriers in any form because they didn't have pilots for the planes.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
3,185 posts
8,161 battles

To be clear I am ok with no planes either. I am interested in the ship layout. But she was rebuilt to be a scout plane ship so my idea would be able to cover both. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles
39 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I never understood the fascination over something that never happened, at least the Ise actually existed. She was a heavy cruiser throughout the war until she was sunk in Kure harbor in 1945, and would have been a poor cruiser and a poor CV in hybrid form. The Japanese navy didn't need carriers in any form because they didn't have pilots for the planes.

Tone as an aviation cruiser existed, and fought at Midway. (Her 30 minutes late launching search plane found the American fleet.)

Ise was a battleship, was converted to a hybrid, fought at Cape Engano, but didn’t launch planes, and eventually sank from air-attack damage at Kure.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[_BDA_]
Members
559 posts
8,892 battles

I just read up on Tone's wartime history and it was fairly extensive.  Her six aircraft were used for spotting, combat air patrols and anti-submarine warfare.  Spotting and CAP are already part of the game... cruisers and battleships already have spotters, and carriers have an automatic CAP (as does Graf Spee as a consumable... I don't know about anyone else).  Tone's ASW role could come in useful with submarines entering the game.  

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles

Easiest way to get her in the game would be to just model the ship, and (mostly just) ignore the aviation cruiser aspect.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,297 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Easiest way to get her in the game would be to just model the ship, and (mostly just) ignore the aviation cruiser aspect.

Give it either better fighter consommable (more plane, more duration) or more charge of it with smaller cool down and bingo.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,185 posts
8,161 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Right and I think that was done she was in closed Beta I think. She used to show up on the extended tree mod.

[SALVO]
Members
26,304 posts
30,265 battles
11 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Give it either better fighter consommable (more plane, more duration) or more charge of it with smaller cool down and bingo.

Just give the Tone both cat fighters and spotter planes.  Problem solved.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,324 posts
14,923 battles
19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tone as an aviation cruiser existed, and fought at Midway.

Ise was a battleship, was converted to a hybrid, fought at Cape Engano, but didn’t launch planes, and eventually sank from air-attack damage at Kure.

Well darn, I am embarrassed as I had thought that the Tone was a conversion like the Ise but the reality is she was a cruiser with a larger than normal float plane capacity.

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles
43 minutes ago, Crucis said:

FWIW, this has become my personal favorite option.

[WOLFC]
Members
694 posts
26,923 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe give both consumables a short cool down or give the fighters an extra plane or extra charge so that people can complain about it being a gimmick.

Same consumable arrangement could be used  by a hybrid Ise class battleship.

[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

I’ve been waiting for Tone since I started playing wows. I expected it to be consumable based, then CV-rework came.

I now think that it could Launch a size 3 squad of rocket planes with 2 on reserve (and no plane regeneration).

[TF_64]
Members
174 posts
20 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tone as an aviation cruiser existed, and fought at Midway. (Her 30 minutes late launching search plane found the American fleet.)

Thank you for getting that part of history right.

• Cool 1