You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Solaces

CV's making the game ultra dull

36 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
3,609 battles

I made a new account on steam to see how the game has changed over the last some years. A few things I've noticed,

1. CV's now have unlimited planes... Seems absurd, can we please have invulnerable AA guns then?

2. Planes are freaking tanky, like suicide runs on 2-3 cruisers and still hitting drops. Priority AA is on and sure I could spec my capt for a little more AA but I doubt that matters much.

3. Planes have multiple drops... This is actually cool and all but in combination with the last two points its absurd as well. If you manage to proc dual fires or floods in a single run in combination with base damage you will be rollin in the creds in no time.

Perhaps this drops off at higher tiers and cruisers can down squadrons but I highly doubt that based on what else I've read. I'm sure it is more fun to play a CV now since its easier to make a influence but its quite overboard and can do insane amounts of damage without any worries of repercussions will ruin most other classes over time. I might as well stick to battleships as at least you can repair the damage and have moderate AA capabilities since cruisers appear to not be doing much more.

TLDR: You get zero value from fending off planes, even if you manage to do so. Increase value of planes XP wise if games literally can consist of just getting bombed all game and doing nothing about it other than hugging your "entire team" which is boring as hell.

Edited by Solaces
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 5

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts

Everything in the game is unlimited. Unlimited torps, AP/HE shells. Try playing them first before the year long cry of, cv so easy to play thing.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 9

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Everything in the game is unlimited. Unlimited torps, AP/HE shells. Try playing them first before the year long cry of, cv so easy to play thing.

Everything is unlimited and yet ONLY CVs can OWSF, which WG themselves claimed was broken when they gave everyone else the bloom mechanic, and even then those ships never had the effective range of CVs. Additionally, no ship in the game can spot without risking their own ship.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 5

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles
4 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

Everything is unlimited and yet ONLY CVs can OWSF, which WG themselves claimed was broken when they gave everyone else the bloom mechanic, and even then those ships never had the effective range of CVs. Additionally, no ship in the game can spot without risking their own ship.

Shhhh  they are not interested in your "facts" and "accuracy". 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[HOLE]
Members
231 posts
2,364 battles

If you have issues with the game and how it Developed , then simply leave and play another game. I have heard so many times about how this or that is op and how its going to break the game but yet Ques are fine and people still play the game.

There is no facts or accuracy. It nothing more than people opinions. Opinions are like *&%#holes. everybody has one.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
44 minutes ago, Solaces said:

I made a new account on steam to see how the game has changed over the last some years. A few things I've noticed,

1. CV's now have unlimited planes... Seems absurd, can we please have invulnerable AA guns then?

2. Planes are freaking tanky, like suicide runs on 2-3 cruisers and still hitting drops. Priority AA is on and sure I could spec my capt for a little more AA but I doubt that matters much.

3. Planes have multiple drops... This is actually cool and all but in combination with the last two points its absurd as well. If you manage to proc dual fires or floods in a single run in combination with base damage you will be rollin in the creds in no time.

Perhaps this drops off at higher tiers and cruisers can down squadrons but I highly doubt that based on what else I've read. I'm sure it is more fun to play a CV now since its easier to make a influence but its quite overboard and can do insane amounts of damage without any worries of repercussions will ruin most other classes over time. I might as well stick to battleships as at least you can repair the damage and have moderate AA capabilities since cruisers appear to not be doing much more.

1:  They aren't.

2:  Only when top tier (T8 CV against T6 ships, etc)

3:  I find 95% of players insta-repair any fire or flood I set, its INCREDIBLY rare to get damage ticks going on anyone unless you can force it.

It does, high tier AA is insane at times, especially if you are bottom tier.   T8 CVs literally can't even play the game against T10 ships most of the time.   

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles
3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

It does, high tier AA is insane at times, especially if you are bottom tier.   T8 CVs literally can't even play the game against T10 ships most of the time.   

Good joke, much hyperbole.  AA being "insane"  rofl. good one.    

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,619 posts
13,182 battles
2 minutes ago, Solaces said:

2. Planes are freaking tanky, like suicide runs on 2-3 cruisers and still hitting drops. Priority AA is on and sure I could spec my capt for a little more AA but I doubt that matters much. Even if we got

TLDR: You get zero value from fending off planes, even if you manage to do so. Perhaps this drops off at higher tiers and cruisers can down squadrons but I highly doubt that based on what else I've read. I'm sure it is more fun to play a CV now since its easier to make a influence but its quite overboard and can do insane amounts of damage without any worries of repercussions will ruin most other classes over time. I might as well stick to battleships as at least you can repair the damage and have moderate AA capabilities since cruisers appear to not be doing much more.

You should drive a tier 6 CV or higher so you can see how false much of what you have just stated is. Tier 4 is a mess, and I go into how WG screwed that up later.

1) CV's don't have unlimited planes, due to the length of the battles, most CV's can lose about as many planes as they could back under RTS, What CV's have now is a lower usage rate (having half to third of the aircraft aloft as compared to RTS) and less aircraft available "immediately", with the regeneration providing the reserves later in the match. Noob CV skippers are forced to pace themselves, good CV players don't have 20 something planes in the air at once to pound you with.

2) Planes are not tanky, you have 2 kinds of AA, continuous damage, and flak bursts. Tier 4, there aren't many flak bursts, so they aren't a concern, continuous damage eats away at the last airplane in the squadron, and works from the back to the front. At higher tiers, with multiple ships, this will eat squadrons quickly, plus the new panic effect will stop the planes from aiming eventually, so you lose a bunch of planes just to make an attack that misses. Flak bursts turn into wrecked squadrons when a CV player makes a wrong turn, though with everything except Kaga you can usually avoid the worst of it. (Kaga's torp and dive bomber squadrons are so wide, they're gonna sideswipe some flak and lose a couple of planes, such is the price of having 3 drops of 4 planes each at tier 8.)

3) Multiple drops, not as big a problem as you make it. That's what AA actually mitigates, even a modest amount of AA will shoot down a couple trailing aircraft, which reduced the number of attacks a squadron can make. As far as fire and floods, you just need to be disciplined in the use of your consumables,  after the planes have left, you can safely fix the damage, and the damage control usually will have recycled before the CV has a chance to come back and try again. It's no different than being set on fire, putting it out, and 30 seconds later you're on fire in 3 places against a HE spamming cruiser or DD. Difference is, a CV usually can't turn it's aircraft around and get back to you that quickly.

Doing insane amounts of damage? No, not really. CV's have the lowest DPM of all ships, the only thing they have in their favor is they get to do damage for most of the match, where's other ships need to be in range, see the target, and have line of effect with the weapons of choice. Give a CV a 20 minute match, it can' do damage for most of it, in short matches, CV's won't have the time to do much of anything, you can see how they suffer in co-op, but are awesome in scenarios.

Without worries of repercussions, again, not really. the hit point bar on a CV doesn't really matter, it's the quantity and type of aircraft currently spotted on the flight deck that are important. Once that is depleted, a CV is pretty much done. The regeneration won't magically give them enough aircraft to make effective attacks anytime soon. Of course, good CV players are very hard to deplete, and it's mostly based on good or bad choices made by the CV player. I've had the joy recently of seeing some bad CV players prove they can be deplaned.

Now, as to how WG screwed up tier 4 CV. Tier 4 CV's should have been a learning tool, learn how to operate CV"s, get your experience, and move up. At the same time, non-CV players get to see how CV's operate, and learn a thing or two before they get a tier 5 ship, and have a Ryujo wipe them off the face of the earth because they can't defend themselves. Unfortunately WG saw fit to buff the tier 4 CV's into effective ships. There's only one tier 3 ship with good enough AA to defend itself (Katori of all things) very few tier 4s, mostly battleships, cruisers with floatplanes and Yubari, and more tier 5's can keep a tier 4 CV away from them. Doesn't really help them much against a tier 6 CV though.

• Cool 4

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

Considering the bulk of your CV experience is 33 games with a T8 CV where you average a pathetic 45,000 damage....I'm surprised you don't agree, since you are unable to do much of anything in the majority of your games.

The best CV players take very little damage or at most a very, very manageable amount of damage from all but a very few of the newer actual AA ships.  How do you explain that?

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

Shaming?  Its not shaming to point out your level of experience on a topic, its facts.   

Clearly when you play, the AA is strong enough to prevent you from doing the kinda damage you claim everyone else can do at ALL TIMES....so why aren't you doing that level of damage?  

Oh right, the AA you claim doesn't work stops you, right.   

AA is just fine, any experienced CV player knows this.

• Boring 2

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

The best CV players take very little damage or at most a very, very manageable amount of damage from all but a very few of the newer actual AA ships.  How do you explain that?

Smart play?   Not going after clusters of ships?   Picking on lone targets?   

Its not complicated.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
9,033 posts
16,320 battles

I can't disagree, I'm supposed to play passively and stick with my fleet, but being a destroyer with 10km torpedoes shackled to a gaggle of cruisers and battleships that want to sit 18km from the red team is a bit dreary...

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
Just now, Zenn3k said:

Smart play?   Not going after clusters of ships?   Picking on lone targets?   

Its not complicated.

Right.  So if you suck at CVs, AA is insane.  If you're good, it's almost negligible.  And if you're really good, you don't even really have to pick and choose.  You can use all the features in place for the CV to use to mitigate AA.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles

And wasn't it you who downvoted people trying to cap when the fleet admiral in charge decided that that person shouldn't be capping?  I'm beginning to see a pattern.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

Why would I care about your WR in 33 games where you were barely a factor?  

• Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
6 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

And wasn't it you who downvoted people trying to cap when the fleet admiral in charge decided that that person shouldn't be capping?  I'm beginning to see a pattern.

What pattern is that?   I always "Plays Poorly" the first person on my team to die, along with the lowest score on my team in every loss, until I run out of reports for the day.  

If they really suck, I straight up blacklist them too.   I do not enjoy bad players ruining my free time with their incompetence.   If there was a way to mark these players to NEVER EVER be on my team again, I'd mark people for that all day as well.

Edited by Zenn3k

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,225 posts
5,382 battles
23 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Good joke, much hyperbole.  AA being "insane"  rofl. good one.    

This is true for both sides of the debate

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

What pattern is that?   I always "Plays Poorly" the first person on my team to die, along with the lowest score on my team in every loss, until I run out of reports for the day.  

If they really suck, I straight up blacklist them too.   I do not enjoy bad players ruining my free time with their incompetence.   If there was a way to mark these players to NEVER EVER be on my team again, I'd mark people for that all day as well.

Fleet admiral in charge.  Quite common to the CV mentality.  And usually their vocalness is indirectly related to their qualification for the role.  

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,296 battles
34 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

1:  They aren't.

2:  Only when top tier (T8 CV against T6 ships, etc)

3:  I find 95% of players insta-repair any fire or flood I set, its INCREDIBLY rare to get damage ticks going on anyone unless you can force it.

I have been bombed and torped in a T 10 cruiser by t8 planes. Well  may shoot more planes down, but the planes still able to make a pass or multiple just depends how far along the match is and how many modules are gone. Is the AA insane when playing t8 CV against T 6 ships? DFAA is about pointless anymore from what I have us

14 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Why would I care about your WR in 33 games where you were barely a factor?  

UH OOOOO  stat shamer  I am not the best pull my stats and have some I am the second to worst playing this game maybe I can have someone as great as you on my team sometime 

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
4 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Fleet admiral in charge.  Quite common to the CV mentality.  And usually their vocalness is indirectly related to their qualification for the role.  

I play all ship classes equally, go look at my stats, about 25% for each class.

• Boring 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,462 posts
17,553 battles

OK gentleman,

The discussion going down hill pretty fast that my finger hurt trying to edit. Please keep it to the point, no personal attack or stat shaming, and civilized manner

If you all cant keep up with it, guess what going to happen  next??

regards,

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
6 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I play all ship classes equally, go look at my stats, about 25% for each class.

nevermind

Edited by CommodoreKang

[DJL]
Members
242 posts
7,191 battles
19 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

OK gentleman,

The discussion going down hill pretty fast that my finger hurt trying to edit. Please keep it to the point, no personal attack or stat shaming, and civilized manner

If you all cant keep up with it, guess what going to happen  next??

regards,

Truth be told is there any point to these I hate this class of ship remove it post? You guys should make a  section that is titled remove ship class here with sub channels like cv hate here bb hate here sub hate here. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Two major issues with CVs, 

1- They can project power all around the map, the ability to spot and strike anywhere means that they are extremely influential. Thus the skill difference between good and bad CV players is game breaking. get a bad CV player on your team and a good one on the enemy team and you are more than half way to a defeat. 

2- Lack of counterplay agaisnt CVs. AA is automatic and was nerfed to the ground. Ships have no way to defend themsleves agasint CVs, your only choice is pray the CV is going to focus some other player and not you, because if he does there is nothing you can do to stop him.