Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Naughtius_Maximus

Japanese Torpedoes

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,000 posts
4,522 battles

Do Torpedoes have a hidden detection range? I noticed that enemies react much later to stock Minekaze torpedoes than the top torps. Is it solely because the stock ones go 10 knots/h faster or some other kind of hidden value?

If so which ones have the terrible torpedoes that give the enemy 20 years to react? I'd prefer to avoid using those.

Beta Testers
955 posts
561 battles

Basically, under current version, here is the deal:

stealth, or range.

love range? Choose the 10km torps.

Surprise maker? U will enjoy the 7km ones better.

Beta Testers
542 posts
59 battles

So I basically have zero incentive to go above the Minekaze then, huh? Good to know.

Does this apply to Japanese Cruisers also?

Japanese cruisers essentially don't have torpedoes. The only time you'll use torps is if someone just happens to get in range and on your side. Never, ever set out with the intention of using torps on IJN CAs. At least not until or unless WG gives them back their long lances.

Beta Testers
542 posts
59 battles

Game is sounding more like only BBs and American guns matter the more I play it =\.

Having said that Minekaze with stock torps is definitely a keeper.

I can say from experience that going past the minekaze is entirely worthless, and I've heard that IJN CAs are all inferior to their american counterparts except the mogami, which is apparently a decent ship. The IJN need some serious love, and we need the devs to stop trying to force this guns vs torps balance, because torpedoes are not and should never be primary weapons.

Members
7 posts

A minor bit of trivia: Japanese torpedoes used O2 rather than compressed air.

This choice greatly diminished the characteristic 'bubble trail' that most other torps had. Whether or not this is reflected in the game mechanics is unknown by me.

Beta Testers
542 posts
59 battles

A minor bit of trivia: Japanese torpedoes used O2 rather than compressed air.

This choice greatly diminished the characteristic 'bubble trail' that most other torps had. Whether or not this is reflected in the game mechanics is unknown by me.

It isn't. The long lances are the most visible torps in the game.

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

I might be mistaken but someone said the longer the range the easier it is to detect due to a flaw in the spotting mechanics.

For example if I have a 5% chance to detect something coming at me 20 miles away I'm going to see it.

If I have a 5% chance to see something coming from 1 mile away I wont.

That's the flaw.  I might be mistaken though, there is a thread with the proper formulae, somewhere....

Sign in to follow this