You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Airglide2

WOWS Developers, after nearly 5 years of this game's existence, we NEED, nay, SHOULD have a proper Replay System like WOT. No more of this, "It's not on our top priority list" anymore. Let's go!

33 comments in this topic

Members
1,124 posts
12,168 battles

This long standing anger is in part due to Flamu's recent Submarine video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzw_OqmCvl8&t=9s

Listen here, the poor man can't even properly commentate on what is happening due to the sail of the submarine getting in the way, clipping into existence. Jingles in his videos refuses to replay CV videos because even he has a hard time commentating with the current replay system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxOrRDQxPo

Every other Community Contributor has to literally imitate the player's camera because of funky replay controls.

5 years WOWS Devs. FIVE. YEARS. That's way to long for putting up with this junk. I say no more! I haven't played WOWS consistently in a very long time, one day of gaming every 2-3 months with 10k games under my belt. This last time I played, I was extremely please to see the U.I. is far more superior than what it was 1 year ago. From loading on flags, to switching between the Profile/Summary tab, to reducing those notification tabs on the bottom right corner of the screen, to opening story special events. Again, I'm very proud of you guys here on this. My only constructive criticism is the lack of choice to access the animated cars/trucks/trains/cranes in the villages and the stupid [edited]camera-fighting I do when I want to see the next or previous ships in Port. HOLD THE CAMERA STILL PLEASE! I want to judge the length of the next/previous ship, for example. But I'm getting off topic here.

In the past the previous excuse has always been, "It's not on you top priority list." Well start making room on that list for it! I refuse to believe you can't convince someone with authority to go over to WOT Devs and ask for help, or however you ask/hire for assistance in copying something good from their game.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this.

Please WOWS Devs, for the good of future marketing of this game and ease of stress from our Community Contributors (and of course the community by and large).

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
13,225 posts
20,086 battles

I seen the video, and all the shots the were incoming on Flamu's ship (the first 2 min of the video) are cool, nothing wrong there (*edit* you ask me)... The rest of the video is is dedicated to yup, his aiming after the fact. Meaning, when enough people were big enough to get views did he "investigate."

IMO this is more of a visual bug at worst then a programming bug... If it was a programming bug, the incoming shots taken would be infected also...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,239 posts
14 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

I haven't played WOWS consistently in a very long time

And yet you demand that they spend considerable money and resources on perfecting replays because it would better entertain you?

• Boring 4

Members
1,124 posts
12,168 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

And yet you demand that they spend considerable money and resources on perfecting replays because it would better entertain you?

I'm not asking to be "entertained".  I'm asking for a more polished replay system.  One where CC's have an easier time showing replays with ease of use.  Where others who aren't so computer savvy can use easily.  Creating a more polished replay system will also, again, add to the already terrific UI improvements.  

Members
1,124 posts
12,168 battles
18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I seen the video, and all the shots the were incoming on Flamu's ship (the first 2 min of the video) are cool, nothing wrong there ([:etc_swear:f you ask me)... The rest of the video is is dedicated to yup, his aiming after the fact. Meaning, when enough people were big enough to get views did he "investigate."

IMO this is more of a visual bug at worst then a programming bug... If it was a programming bug, the incoming shots taken would be infected also...

Even current replays still show the mast getting in the way when zooming.  CV control could again, show more information which it still doesn't.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,239 posts
6 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

I'm not asking to be "entertained".  I'm asking for a more polished replay system.  One where CC's have an easier time showing replays with ease of use.  Where others who aren't so computer savvy can use easily.  Creating a more polished replay system will also, again, add to the already terrific UI improvements.  

It would be nice but remember that replays have always been an add-on to WOWS too. If WOWS was a huge game then the replays would probably be better but all of the WOWS CCs put together hardly make a blip on the YouTube scale. Therefore, "good enough" is probably going to be all that's going to happen. 

Members
1,124 posts
12,168 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It would be nice but remember that replays have always been an add-on to WOWS too. If WOWS was a huge game then the replays would probably be better but all of the WOWS CCs put together hardly make a blip on the YouTube scale. Therefore, "good enough" is probably going to be all that's going to happen. 

But what ever happened to putting your best foot forward?  Having good film for your product (whether is sucks or not) is going to bring in new customers and/or keep your currently customers.  From good camera angles and recordings, WOWS Marketing team can't all do this by themselves.  Thankfully there is the CCs to help with the rest of the heavy lifting with replays, but.  If CCs are still working with tools that seems archaic (hence the 5 years and it's sister company holding a seemingly better replay system) then showing crap like sail/mast clipping from Flamu or lack of information like Jingles's CV replay explains, is just going to make your product look bad.  Or worse, if any new guy wants to start try his hand at recording but is having a difficult time, they'll might just plain give up (don't get me started on those who aren't "computer savvy").

[TDRB]
Members
5,310 posts
13,743 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

"Always been" is a lame excuse at best.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,239 posts
35 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

"Always been" is a lame excuse at best.

"Not really needed" is where they are coming from.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Ah yes, adding one feature to entertain one person and definitely not the hundreds of thousands of other players who actively play the game, or the hundreds of big league community contributors who could definitely use a competent replay system.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,239 posts
16 minutes ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

Ah yes, adding one feature to entertain one person and definitely not the hundreds of thousands of other players who actively play the game, or the hundreds of big league community contributors who could definitely use a competent replay system.

Poll the people in game and you will probably find that most have never watched a replay. If it doesn't affect how many people are playing or paying then it's a very low priority for the company. Someday they might get around to it if they have the time but I wouldn't hold my breath. Complaining on the forums doesn't do much either because, as the admins have said, the people coming to the forums are only a tiny percentage of the game's players. This applies to those who watch the CC's on YouTube too.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
1,124 posts
12,168 battles
36 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Poll the people in game and you will probably find that most have never watched a replay. If it doesn't affect how many people are playing or paying then it's a very low priority for the company. Someday they might get around to it if they have the time but I wouldn't hold my breath. Complaining on the forums doesn't do much either because, as the admins have said, the people coming to the forums are only a tiny percentage of the game's players. This applies to those who watch the CC's on YouTube too.

My rebuttal is: nothing lasts forever.  In this particular instance, Community Contributors and fans.  The older ones will figure out how to make the replay system work and know the ins and outs of it.  But those that come after them, the new guys, are gonna have a rough time figuring it out an archaic system, probably to the point where the question is raised, "Why the hell is this hard to figure out?  Or so unintuitive, like that one current or past video game's replay system?"  So they'll just give up and now WOWS just lost potentially new CCs or entertainers.  Wargaming did go in cheap with building this game, until more money came in and started to build it up.  But the replay system?  Still feels kind of cheap.

My complaint is valid.  Just because it's listed here, doesn't mean it's a complaint held entirely within this forum.  I grew up with a piece of advice that was given to me a long time ago, which was, "A written letter by a single person can have 10,000 people behind it."  And you'll probably never meet those people in real life, but that complaint is on their minds.  It's just that you were the one to pen it down.

And yes, most of us in this community do watch replays, but on YouTube/private websites.  But what I just witnessed from Flumu or any other CC with Submarine clipping?  Or the ship mast clipping?  Nah, no excuse anymore.

Members
5 posts
1,866 battles

A noob question.  I can watch the replay but the controls to speed up the replay do not work.  I read the arrow keys speed up and slow down the replay but mine don't work.  I have to watch the whole replay in real time.  Does anyone have a suggestion for how to fix this or is this just the way the replay works?

[TDRB]
Members
5,310 posts
13,743 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

"Not really needed" is where they are coming from.

It is apparent improving replays are not on WG agenda & wysiwyg. But you made an excuse for WG. A lame excuse at that. I'm asking why.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,239 posts
19 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

It is apparent improving replays are not on WG agenda & wysiwyg. But you made an excuse for WG. A lame excuse at that. I'm asking why.

I don't think that very many here know how business works. I used to be part owner and director of a medium-sized company. While it's always nice to have happy customers, the goal of a company is to make profit, not maintain customer happiness. It really doesn't matter at all if your customers are whiny if they are purchasing your product. The local general store may have rave reviews for how friendly and helpful their staff are but at the end of the day people are still going to purchase the products they have for sale from Amazon instead because they can get them cheaper online.

Many people are never going to be happy no matter what you do for them. Give them a super-awesome thing and in a couple of days, when the endorphins wear off, they will be whining again over minutiae. You can bankrupt your company trying to please customers. Sales figures are what matters to a company, not "likes" or "dislikes" per se. You keep them happy enough to not leave and go elsewhere and that's that.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
12,579 posts
11,676 battles
6 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Simply, it doesn't make WG money if they do it, and it doesn't drive a significant number of players away if they don't.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles

Last time I used the Replay, it was weird so I never used it. I just use OBS because you will see exactly what I am doing. That is in addition for the need to use an older version of the game to view the replay assuming that is still a thing.

[TDRB]
Members
5,310 posts
13,743 battles
47 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Simply, it doesn't make WG money if they do it, and it doesn't drive a significant number of players away if they don't.

You, like snargfargle, missed my point. My question is not about WG business decisions, it is why one makes excuses for them.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,579 posts
11,676 battles
16 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

You, like snargfargle, missed my point. My question is not about WG business decisions, it is why one makes excuses for them.

I am simply stating the reality of the situation.  Whether you, I, or anyone else likes or dislikes that reality doesn't really matter.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,310 posts
13,743 battles
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I am simply stating the reality of the situation.  Whether you, I, or anyone else likes or dislikes that reality doesn't really matter.

Neither the reality, likes nor dislikes were never questioned in my posts.

[PSA]
Members
5,116 posts
3,732 battles

1) The game has enough serious concerns that replays are justifiable low on the priority list.

2) Subs are still in early testing and I think the devs have WAY more to worry about than how the subs appear on the replay.