Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CommodoreKang

Torp University

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,951 battles

Here's the scenario:

So you're just motoring along minding your own business trying to get to where you're going and along comes a torp spread on your flank blocking your way.

Do you:

A) Be smart and turn out (or in, as the case may be)

B) Be clever and assume that these speedy torps heading for you are the marshmallow variety and calculate that maybe you can just barely squeeze by.  You're a very busy captain after all.

Choose wisely, because, rather than marshmallows, these could be zao torps and threaten or maybe even ruin your whole trip. 

Seriously though, I've always just dodged and never put the time into torp identification.  Anyone have any tips for the clever captains out there?

(i used to know the numbers in the spreads back in simpler times but now I just dodge mostly)

I'll go first and most worthless.

Tip)  Deep water torps look more underwater than their non deep variety.  

GO!

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,354 battles

Know which ships are around you. Sure you might not be able to see the guy at the time, but in almost all circumstances you should have the map awareness to know which enemy ships you’re facing and so who’s torps are incoming.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,637 posts

the 8 that can sink you in your bb from full hp?  and the dd you can't spot because yours all yolo'd?

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,951 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Know which ships are around you. Sure you might not be able to see the guy at the time, but in almost all circumstances you should have the map awareness to know which enemy ships you’re facing and so who’s torps are incoming.

Yeah, the DD was closer and the Zao was much further back behind an island.  Based on the spread, I should have figured that it wasn't the Halland.  But, I only glanced.  They turned out to be much slower than I initially though too.  So if I hadn't been so preoccupied with the Smolensk that I was hunting down, I might noticed that too.  lol

[PHD]
Members
2,001 posts
7,774 battles

If I am spotted but can't see a ship it doesn't matter if I see torps they may be on the way.

If it's just a single torp, is it from some RN cruiser, the Gallant or just a leftover stray from a spread fired at something else.

I suppose you could keep track of each ships' number of launchers and how many in each, but I'm too lazy. Plus I'm more the launcher rather than the launchee.

Or an odd number,  like seven, a partial spread launched between an island with some hitting the island?

Or were they from a "friendly "?. Beware the KM BB behind you. (and others)

I remember the line from the movie "Battle of Britain " , it takes 13 seconds to shoot down a Spitfire so look around (or turn) every10.

If there is an Asashio, or Shimakaze, in the match, doesn't matter on  which team, torps can show up even if those DDs are not even in the same zip code.

Don't think that was you question, but my thoughts anyway. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by GrayPanther2018
Additional information

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,951 battles
7 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

If it's just a single torp, is it from some RN cruiser, the Gallant or just a leftover stray from a spread fired at something else.

Or an odd number,  like seven, a partial spread launched between an island with some hitting the island?

Or were they from a "friendly "?. Beware the KM BB behind you. (and others)

I remember the line from the movie "Battle of Britain " , it takes 13 seconds to shoot down a Spitfire so look around (or turn) every 10.

If there is an Asashio, or Shimakaze, in the match, doesn't matter on  which team, torps can show up even if those DDs are not even in the same zip code.

WASD hacks are definitely a thing.  There are occasions where you can drive in a straight line.  Particularly if you're a filthy stealth type player.  

But even then, you have to keep a lookout for long range torps fired in vain.  And some cruiser captains are quite well known to just throw torps down a corridor and hope for the best. 

As in this case.   

The upshot is that i had plenty of health and survived and the Smol didn't and we won.  But that was probably the dumbest torp I've taken in awhile.

[PHD]
Members
2,001 posts
7,774 battles
6 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

But even then, you have to keep a lookout for long range torps fired in vain.  And some cruiser captains are quite well known to just throw torps down a corridor and hope for the best.

Guilty!  Plus with Radio location there is a good clue for which channel needs a little filling.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,951 battles
7 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Guilty!  Plus with Radio location there is a good clue for which channel needs a little filling.

Yep RDF lol :P

Edited by CommodoreKang

Sign in to follow this