Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Marcos0z

Kongo accuracy

27 comments in this topic

[SWLAT]
[SWLAT]
Members
2 posts

I have been playing with the Japanese branch for a while everything was fine until I reached tier 5 Kongo, I never felt so much frustration at not being able to do anything with this battleship, hit a citadel it is impossible of 8 shells you only hit 2 or 3 at ranges of 12 at 15km and not talking about the cruises only makes the experience much worse, I want to know all the ships are in this branch are that bad?

I want to get the yamato but I don't think it will survive 5 tier of the same type…

(I have used German battleships they are not very precise but you adapt quickly to the secondary mechanics just like the French.)

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,237 posts
4,363 battles

Yeah Kongo really doesn’t have any accuracy. But that balances out the speed and range. And no T5 BB can really be called accurate.

Fuso has the same lack of accuracy. But you get 4 more guns which makes up for it. Basically the throw enough crapat a wall principle.

However Nagato is much more accurate, and then Amagi is one of the most accurate BBs in the game. Izumo has other issues, but accuracy isn’t one of them. And of course Yamato is the most accurate BB. So yes, it definitely gets better, excellent gun performance is the trademark of IJN BBs.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles

IJN BBs all share the same dispersion chart.  Sigma values vary, but the dispersion is the same for all of them, from Mikasa to Yamato.  Kongo has a pretty decent sigma of 1.8 and being Tier V it has access to Aiming Systems Mod 1, which means Kongo and Musashi have exactly the same dispersion, though Musashi does have 5.3km more range.  All the way from point blank to 21.2km Kongo and Musashi will be identical.

Now, Musashi does through one more shell if broadside, or two more shells if bow in, so that helps, but it isn't that much of a difference.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,680 battles
11 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Sigma values vary, but the dispersion is the same for all of them, from Mikasa to Yamato. 

Hard to believe that, after playing Mikasa and Musashi.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Hard to believe that, after playing Mikasa and Musashi.

How so?  I have both and it seems pretty clear to me.  For Mikasa, she doesn't have the range to get advantage of the tighter long range IJN dispersion and she has only four guns, and then only if you're full broadside.  Musashi has normal IJN dispersion.  The same exact dispersion as Yamato has, unless the legendary module is mounted.  Her sigma is significantly worse than Yamato, so that is noticeable, but her shells seem to be to be very much like Amagi, which also has a 1.8 sigma.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,680 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

For Mikasa

Poor old Mikasa just can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside; she literally can just ignore her main battery and rely on her secondaries. Which makes it hard to believe she has the same stats as Musashi which can reliably hit targets at well over 20 km. 

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Poor old Mikasa just can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside; she literally can just ignore her main battery and rely on her secondaries. Which makes it hard to believe she has the same stats as Musashi which can reliably hit targets at well over 20 km. 

I think the big issue is while the accuracy curve may be the same, the size of the ships you're shooting are drastically different.  A typical t9 BB is at least twice the size of t5 BB, which is turn is probably 50% bigger than the t3 BBs.  The same for cruisers, though with a less noticeable degree of difference.

Accuracy is the same, but it's much harder to get hits on smaller targets.

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
4 hours ago, Marcos0z said:

I have been playing with the Japanese branch for a while everything was fine until I reached tier 5 Kongo, I never felt so much frustration at not being able to do anything with this battleship, hit a citadel it is impossible of 8 shells you only hit 2 or 3 at ranges of 12 at 15km and not talking about the cruises only makes the experience much worse, I want to know all the ships are in this branch are that bad?

I want to get the yamato but I don't think it will survive 5 tier of the same type…

(I have used German battleships they are not very precise but you adapt quickly to the secondary mechanics just like the French.)

Are you using Aiming Mod 1 on your ships? Japanese Battleships and Cruisers are really good and tend to be accurate gunned. But the catch is you need the Aiming Mod 1 mounted or else the guns will be inaccurate.

[ARPGT]
[ARPGT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,415 posts
4,799 battles
4 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah Kongo really doesn’t have any accuracy. But that balances out the speed and range. And no T5 BB can really be called accurate.

Fuso has the same lack of accuracy. But you get 4 more guns which makes up for it. Basically the throw enough crapat a wall principle.

However Nagato is much more accurate, and then Amagi is one of the most accurate BBs in the game. Izumo has other issues, but accuracy isn’t one of them. And of course Yamato is the most accurate BB. So yes, it definitely gets better, excellent gun performance is the trademark of IJN BBs.

As far as I am aware:

Fuso, Mikasa and Kawachi have the worst Sigma among them all at 1.6

Ishizuchi, Kongou, Mutsu, Ashitaka, Amagi and Musashi all share 1.8 Sigma

Myogi, Nagato and Izumo all have 2.0 Sigma now

Yamato has the best at 2.1 Sigma.

Izumo now is one the stronger ships in Tier 9 with all her buffs bringing her in line with the other ships. Good accuracy and good survivability now.

I dropped Fusou like a hot potato and free-XP'd past it. There ain't no way in hell I was suffering with that crap accuracy.

~Hunter

[WOLFC]
Members
3,421 posts
12,122 battles

Kongo has been powercrept over the years, but is still one of the best BBs at tier 5. Her armor is good when angled appropriately and the range and speed means she handles being uptiered very well. Her dispersion is good and sigma is adequate. The thing to remember is that she only has 8 barrels, and when firing at her (very) long max range that will troll you.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Advanced issues found

4 hours ago, Helstrem said:

How so?  I have both and it seems pretty clear to me.  For Mikasa, she doesn't have the range to get advantage of the tighter long range IJN dispersion and she has only four guns, and then only if you're full broadside.  Musashi has normal IJN dispersion.  The same exact dispersion as Yamato has, unless the legendary module is mounted.  Her sigma is significantly worse than Yamato, so that is noticeable, but her shells seem to be to be very much like Amagi, which also has a 1.8 sigma.

Unless Mikasa's dispersion magically gets smaller beyond its max range, I'll just assume that you're on some good stuff because that Mikasa and "tight long range IJN dispersion" do not belong in the same universe. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

i thought fuso was great, i liked that ship, haven't played Kongo in years though... i should revisit

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles
5 hours ago, Aduial said:

Unless Mikasa's dispersion magically gets smaller beyond its max range, I'll just assume that you're on some good stuff because that Mikasa and "tight long range IJN dispersion" do not belong in the same universe. 

It doesn't get tighter, but it does get tighter compared to non-Japanese BBs.

That said, Mikasa's problems are also due to inadequate barrels and small targets.

[SWLAT]
[SWLAT]
Members
2 posts
15 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Are you using Aiming Mod 1 on your ships? Japanese Battleships and Cruisers are really good and tend to be accurate gunned. But the catch is you need the Aiming Mod 1 mounted or else the guns will be inaccurate.

Not really im playing with full stock Kongo but i will get that to give it a try.

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
618 posts
3,925 battles

She takes a lot of practice but pays off big. The accuracy mod is a must. Pretend you're a cruiser until the dreadnoughts lock horns, then angle your armor and slash your way in. Turn around and run and try to kite some fire back to the others. Rotate and do it again. She's a very fast bully ship.

Edit: Always, always angle your armor and pre-plan your guns placement. Her broadside armor is a free citadel.

[D-PN]
Members
189 posts
17,045 battles

Kongo is great. Did a 100k+ damage game yesterday in one of the neon clone kongo ships. Guns seemed OK. If they were a lot better she'd be OP.

Edited by MeglaGnome

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
9 hours ago, Marcos0z said:

Not really im playing with full stock Kongo but i will get that to give it a try.

Ok here is the thing you know the upgrades modules tab that is next to your ship’s consumables in port? When ever you get a new ship those upgrades really need to be filled as they greatly help you in battle and it’s a rookie mistake to not purchase upgrades especially on a stock ship. ( I made these type of mistakes in the past as well and you ended up feeling like an idiot when you find out just how much you needed the upgrades lol.)

Slot 1: You typically want Main Armaments Mod 1 as that helps protect you Main guns and torpedo tubes from getting damaged or destroyed although can still happen just a lot less often. And this will be the case on Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers. Auxiliary Armaments Mod to instead help protect the secondary and AA guns from getting destroyed can be good in specific ships if the auxiliary weapons being protected outweighs the risks of possibly losing some of the main armaments. But in general you will want the Main Armaments Mod on most ships.

Slot 2: Damage Control Systems.

Slot 3: Aiming Mod 1 for all ships unless you are in a secondary gunship in which case you can go with secondary guns Mod. Or if you are in a torpedo boat Destroyer you can go with the torpedo module. But when in doubt go with Aiming mod 1.

Slot 4: Steering Gears are very important as they allow your ships to turn more quickly like those times when you have incoming torpedoes. Now on certain destroyers the Propulsion Mod will be better as it allow you to get moving in a shorter amount of time. Like if you have been sitting in smoke or something and suddenly need to get moving again, but this module is of limited use on larger ships which need the steering far more.

Slot 5: Concealment Mod is extremely important when you get high enough tiered ships to use this. It will significantly increase your ship’s stealthiness which is a very good thing for when you are needing to sneak around.

Slot 6: This Slot is an interesting decision between increasing main guns rate of fire, at the expense of a little of your turret traverse speed, decreasing torpedo reload times, increasing main gun range, or increasing secondary gun and Anti Aircraft Guns firepower. And really depends on the ship you are using and some times even your play style. Thankfully this particular slot will not be as catastrophic as some of the others if you make a wrong choice or even leave it empty while you decide as this one does cost 3 million credits.

Some examples for Slot 6 are Salem with its fast rate of fire but limited gun range benefits from extended gun range. Torpedo boats like Shimakaze and Gearing benefit from improved torpedo reload. Yamato has done well with the increased secondary gun and AA gun rate of fire because of it’s massive size making it a tempting target for destroyers and Aircraft which I also use BFT and AFT captain skills on that ship’s captain. Zao I went for gun range because of it’s role being good for long range firing. Yoshino I went with Main gun reload since the ship needed the extra rate of fire and the ship already has good turret traverse and gun range anyway. So hopefully this gives you some good ideas on how to select Slot 6 modules depending on the ship.

[CNO]
Members
6,804 posts
20,467 battles
8 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I would never call Mikasa anything close to accurate. 

Mikasa....the only BB in the game that has the statistical probability of being able to shoot itself in the [edited].

• Funny 1

Members
385 posts
15,647 battles
On 4/20/2020 at 12:05 AM, GandalfTehGray said:

I would never call Mikasa anything close to accurate. 

Mikasa is rightly considered to be the worst ship in the game, but Mikasa being inaccurate is a long running myth. It's short comings lie else where...

[--K--]
Supertester
1,624 posts
16,404 battles
6 minutes ago, bigalow87 said:

Mikasa is rightly considered to be the worst ship in the game, but Mikasa being inaccurate is a long running myth. It's short comings lie else where...

Um what? I’ve watched it miss broadside bot Mikasa horizontally at like 4km. 

Members
385 posts
15,647 battles
3 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Um what? I’ve watched it miss broadside bot Mikasa horizontally at like 4km. 

My data says otherwise.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,781 posts
6,935 battles
On 4/20/2020 at 6:40 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Slot 3: Aiming Mod 1 for all ships unless you are in a secondary gunship in which case you can go with secondary guns Mod. Or if you are in a torpedo boat Destroyer you can go with the torpedo module. But when in doubt go with Aiming mod 1.

This is not always true anymore.  For example, I'd advise Main Battery Mod 2 on IJN 203mm cruisers because their guns are already so accurate.  It can also be viable for some US BBs as they don't get access to Aiming Mod 1 and if their range is already good enough, then turret traverse can be useful.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,624 posts
16,404 battles
7 minutes ago, bigalow87 said:

My data says otherwise.

You do have an impressive amount of battles in it, care to elaborate?

Sign in to follow this