You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Learux

Please fix 3 man divisions.

71 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

They have no business being in the game unless they are paired against another 3 man division of roughly equal skill.

Thank you WG

• Funny 4
  • Boring 12

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

What then happens when this path is followed is likely to end up like Group Ques from MWO, where one can wait hours for find match group with other groups in it. I might hasten to add that the long ques were a thing well before the fall of MWO.

• Cool 1

Members
1,024 posts
58 minutes ago, Learux said:

They have no business being in the game unless they are paired against another 3 man division of roughly equal skill.

Thank you WG

If they eliminate divisions, then how are people going to pad their WR%?    Rely on sheer luck of the draw in randoms? 

• Funny 3
  • Boring 3

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,657 battles
30 minutes ago, Learux said:

That is the price you pay to have a mini team within a team.

Prove me wrong!

Why? The game works just fine right now for everyone except you, and who cares about that?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BONKS]
Members
427 posts
10,046 battles
1 hour ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

If they eliminate divisions, then how are people going to pad their WR%?    Rely on sheer luck of the draw in randoms? 

Or actually be good at the game?

Even an above average player can maintain a positive winrate easily.

• Cool 2

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles
1 hour ago, Salvo_Creative said:

There is two fixes 

Get Friends 

or 
Be better than they are 

Please don't get friends -- someone complaining about 3 man divs isn't ready to be in one themselves.  They will not like the odds that they will be put against a better div or the fact that their team will automatically be stacked with 3 below avg players while the other is stacked with 3 above avg, and the other slots are random.  At least solo the odds are that the team will be on average, comprised of better players.  3 potato div only increases their odds of failure.

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, CV_Jeebies said:

Please don't get friends -- someone complaining about 3 man divs isn't ready to be in one themselves.  They will not like the odds that they will be put against a better div or the fact that their team will automatically be stacked with 3 below avg players while the other is stacked with 3 above avg, and the other slots are random.  At least solo the odds are that the team will be on average, comprised of better players.  3 potato div only increases their odds of failure.

Yep lol, particularly the Divs that are like oh let’s sail all three of our BBs close together and in a nice straight line so that we are easy to torpedo and help to ensure that torpedoes are not wasted by staging our ships in a perfect formation for receiving torpedo hits... :cap_haloween:

Members
273 posts
7,532 battles
6 hours ago, Learux said:

Thank you WG

A few problems. The que times waiting for another 3 man div within a particular % of WR or PR would be terrible. I doubt they have the ability to do so. 

[CLRN]
Members
837 posts
122 battles
5 hours ago, Learux said:

That is the price you pay to have a mini team within a team.

Prove me wrong!

You are wrong.

There is noone keeping you from diving up with 2 other guys.

[BOTES]
Members
2,327 posts
9,227 battles
26 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

You are wrong.

There is noone keeping you from diving up with 2 other guys.

There is something keeping me from divving up with 2 guys of equal or greater skill though. It's this thing called "life." Not everyone knows enough good people. Not all people want to play the game at all times just to make teams balanced. Sometimes we're grinding different ships and wouldn't be using our time as effectively by playing together.

WG should not be catering to an extreme minority of super unicums under any circumstances. 3 man unicum/super unicum divs have been an issue since the beginning of multiplayer games that allow great players to team up and not get balanced.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Boring 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

skill will never be used for balance in randoms, but they could at least balance the number of players div'ed per team, they do it in other titles.... (at least wot)

[INTEL]
Members
1,787 posts
16,634 battles
24 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

There is something keeping me from divving up with 2 guys of equal or greater skill though. It's this thing called "life." Not everyone knows enough good people. Not all people want to play the game at all times just to make teams balanced. Sometimes we're grinding different ships and wouldn't be using our time as effectively by playing together.

WG should not be catering to an extreme minority of super unicums under any circumstances. 3 man unicum/super unicum divs have been an issue since the beginning of multiplayer games that allow great players to team up and not get balanced.

If only there was some sort of mechanic built into the game that allowed players to group together and easily form divisions. Maybe groups of 30-40 players, some of whom are possibly better than myself. Maybe call it a Clan. And it would be even better if there was some sort of VOIP App for the computer where these players could use voice comms while in game. Maybe call it Discord. The only thing keeping you from Div'ing up is YOU.

On my part without Discord and Div's I wouldn't be playing at all. Enjoying the company of people I've meet on Hoperations discord and by extension those in my clan are the only reason I'm still playing.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,105 posts
15,369 battles
7 hours ago, Learux said:

Thank you WG

Did a three player-division touch you in a bad place?

Learn how to be sociable, make friends, and and form your own divisions.

37 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

WG should not be catering to an extreme minority of super unicums under any circumstances.

What a hot, steaming pile.

People decry the lack of quality play, and lack of teamwork & coordination, then when small groups of players show up up dedicated to implement those things in battle, the same complainers say it has to be stopped because because the OTHER team might have such a group from time to time.

So , the perpetually offended are now trying to get ”permitted to exist” to be defined as “catering to.”

37 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

There is something keeping me from divving up with 2 guys of equal or greater skill though. It's this thing called "life."

Yet, you have the time to choose to be here debating, rather than doing. Yes, there is a growing segment if society that elevate their need to complain to that of a life essential.

5 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

95+% of my games are solo.  Divisions are not the problem you claim.  Most divisions are average players, friends who just enjoy playing together.  Only a small percentage of divisions are Unicum Divisions of Doom, and you have a 50/50 chance of them being on your team.

What you said.

3 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Love it! But watch out - you’re exactly the sort that the masses of the continually aggrieved have their pitchforks out for.

• Cool 3

[X-PN]
Members
2,113 posts
13,632 battles
40 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Sbmm for divs is a terrible idea. Wait times alone kill it as a practical measure.

I have elaborated in other threads a form of skill based matchmaking that adds basically no time to waiting (only a few milliseconds for server calculations).  We don't need a perfectly even team for each side to have a fair chance, but you can't have it where one side has 8 experienced players and the other side has 8 potato newbies.  But it is a super easy fix.  It's so obvious I can't figure why WG doesn't already do it.

BTW - 3 man divs is a whole nother issue.  WG needs to get the basic MatchMaker right before thinking about divs.

[TORCH]
Members
790 posts
20,335 battles

There's nothing inherently wrong with 3 man divisions.  And all 3 man divisions don't consist of 3 unicum players.  In fact, I'll wager such 3-unicum divisions are a rarity.  AND, if you see such a division in your game, the chances are exactly 50-50 that they'll be on YOUR team.

Then, there's the problem of matching divisions of similar skill.  How do you figure out what the "skill" of a division is?  Average PR.  That would be my simple method, but just read the forum, and you'll find countless threads arguing that statistics such as PR and WR are meaningless.  Never gonna make everyone happy.  Nah, I'd rather just do it by RNG.  Yes, I'll get murdered in the occasional game, but I'll benefit in others.  On average, I'll come out just fine, and that's ok with me.  Others will disagree...especially after getting your butt kicked by a red unicum.

[X-PN]
Members
2,113 posts
13,632 battles
24 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

95+% of my games are solo.  Divisions are not the problem you claim.  Most divisions are average players, friends who just enjoy playing together.  Only a small percentage of divisions are Unicum Divisions of Doom, and you have a 50/50 chance of them being on your team.

While I generally agree with your statement one small correction:

For the Div to be on your team there are 11 other spots for that 3 man div to land in.  On the other side, there are 12 other spots.  Now there are other rules the MatchMaker abides by so the exact percent chance would be hard to calculate, but ignoring that and assume the unicums land on one side or the other it's more like 48% on green and 52% on red.  

BY THE WAY - Original Poster, you should also know that the match maker already tries to match divs up.  Sometimes it can't, but most of the time when you see a div on one side you will see one on the other.

[CLRN]
Members
837 posts
122 battles
1 hour ago, awildseaking said:

Dont get me wrong tho i would like to see skill based mm. But WG doesnt want that. 

Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
8 hours ago, Learux said:

Thank you WG

maybe you need better skill or a better clan

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Please keep it civil guys, the name calling is uncalled for.

If you like unfair advantages I guess three man divisions are for you.

Not much else to say.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
3 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Divisions of 2-3 potatoes happen much more often and are much more game breaking than unicum divisions.