You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

ASW Feedback for Anti Submarine and Depth Charges

10 comments in this topic

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,167 posts
3,032 battles

This was actually a suggestion I made back in my analysis of submarines in Test 2. However, I feel like this honestly still fits.

Destroyer Uniqueness:

It would be great to see different nations destroyers act differently with their depth charges. (These are just examples, not saying the nations HAVE to work exactly like this). This would also allow a witty, or skilled submarine captain know how to better fight that particular destroyer, and how to evade with a chance of survival. 

Americans: Only 1 depth charge "charge". (destroyers get 3 right now), but more depth charges than usual, they drop from the back of the ship in a line, and act like a "Carpet bomb" allowing the destroyer to lay a string of depth charges, or even circle an area saturating it.

British: drops depth charges off the back, but in a V formation. Wider range of AOE behind the destroyer than American, has 2 depth charge charges, instead of just 1, but less of them drop.

German: Deeper depth charge attacks, causing more damage than normal to deeper submarines, and drops them in short "bursts". (2-3 depth charges drop off the back then a delay before 2-3 more drop) small AOE explosions, but greater change of severely hurting deep submarines.

Russian: Shallower Depth Charges, (deeper the submarine, less damage it takes if hit), but can do extreme damage to submarines shallow to mid range depth. Only 1 charge per charges, but reloads faster than usual, and slightly larger AOE blast.

French: Shoots the depth charges off the sides in a "Carpet bomb" like way. Shorter length than the American version, with average aoe blast and damage. This creates a unique "Safe zone" down the middle however, but can catch submarines trying to evade off guard.

Japanese: (ran out of idea's, but a combination of any above, or any suggestions you have, feel free to let me know)

Edit: I forgot to add, that an ASW stat should be considered for destroyers as well. Not every destroyer should have equal power across the board hunting submarines, but all should still be capable of doing it.

Edit 2: The blasts of Depth Charges feels too big, once I have a submarine in my sights, it's dead. flat out dead. No questions about it. Nothing it can do. The "dive deeper for less damage" skill is a gimmick. It does nothing for you. It won't let you get away, and it just gives the submarine an extra 2 seconds to stay alive..

Either remove the skill, or make it act like a smoke screen for DD's, where the submarine becomes 100% invisible and undetectable unless sonar is active.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
1 hour ago, Lady_Athena said:

Edit 2: The blasts of Depth Charges feels too big, once I have a submarine in my sights, it's dead. flat out dead. No questions about it. Nothing it can do. The "dive deeper for less damage" skill is a gimmick. It does nothing for you. It won't let you get away, and it just gives the submarine an extra 2 seconds to stay alive..

Either remove the skill, or make it act like a smoke screen for DD's, where the submarine becomes 100% invisible and undetectable unless sonar is active.

Subs were actually quite nimble and could easily break off from a single DD/DE. Maybe add a disturbed water effect after an attack run that may give the sub a chance to become undetected. What the real subs did during an attack was flank speed in an unexpected direction for a short time.

Edited by BrushWolf

[HINON]
Members
9,230 posts
13,912 battles

all i want to know is, did they animate the, as i refer to them, Depth Charge Yeeters on the front of Friesland and Halland, please WG, tell me you did

[WORX]
Members
14,297 posts
20,867 battles
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

all i want to know is, did they animate the, as i refer to them, Depth Charge Yeeters on the front of Friesland and Halland, please WG, tell me you did

The amount of animation was minimal from what I can tell.

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,313 battles
2 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

This was actually a suggestion I made back in my analysis of submarines in Test 2. However, I feel like this honestly still fits.

Destroyer Uniqueness:

It would be great to see different nations destroyers act differently with their depth charges. (These are just examples, not saying the nations HAVE to work exactly like this). This would also allow a witty, or skilled submarine captain know how to better fight that particular destroyer, and how to evade with a chance of survival. 

Americans: Only 1 depth charge "charge". (destroyers get 3 right now), but more depth charges than usual, they drop from the back of the ship in a line, and act like a "Carpet bomb" allowing the destroyer to lay a string of depth charges, or even circle an area saturating it.

British: drops depth charges off the back, but in a V formation. Wider range of AOE behind the destroyer than American, has 2 depth charge charges, instead of just 1, but less of them drop.

German: Deeper depth charge attacks, causing more damage than normal to deeper submarines, and drops them in short "bursts". (2-3 depth charges drop off the back then a delay before 2-3 more drop) small AOE explosions, but greater change of severely hurting deep submarines.

Russian: Shallower Depth Charges, (deeper the submarine, less damage it takes if hit), but can do extreme damage to submarines shallow to mid range depth. Only 1 charge per charges, but reloads faster than usual, and slightly larger AOE blast.

French: Shoots the depth charges off the sides in a "Carpet bomb" like way. Shorter length than the American version, with average aoe blast and damage. This creates a unique "Safe zone" down the middle however, but can catch submarines trying to evade off guard.

Japanese: (ran out of idea's, but a combination of any above, or any suggestions you have, feel free to let me know)

Edit: I forgot to add, that an ASW stat should be considered for destroyers as well. Not every destroyer should have equal power across the board hunting submarines, but all should still be capable of doing it.

NO, The sub keeps the dd spotted with radar rocket planes and the other team shooting at the dd then have different type of depth charges....no

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,626 posts
24,246 battles

Like the ideas, when they finally get them balanced. so far they are blatant WIP

[-AFK-]
Members
1,379 posts
16,702 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Subs were actually quite nimble and could easily break off from a single DD/DE. Maybe add a disturbed water effect after an attack run that may give the sub a chance to become undetected. What the real subs did during an attack was flank speed in an unexpected direction for a short time.

Surface or underwater? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
5 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Surface or underwater? 

Sorry, I wasn't clear, must learn to proof read. They were nimble when submerged but on the surface while nimble were slow compared to surface ships and quite vulnerable to gun fire.

Edited by BrushWolf

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles
20 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

I do really want to use my Yeet Cannons.