You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

The coming Califailure: simple fix

135 comments in this topic

Members
13,459 posts
40,183 battles

Facing T9 ships in a BB with 14" guns and a 34 sec reload and 21 knots. Haha! Sorry, just no.

The main objection to that ship is that its already bad enough facing T8s, but for T9s it is simply food. Hence: why not give her what you gave to the old Nikolai at T4. A restricted MM so that she never sees T9, except when she is divved. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 12
  • Boring 5

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,748 posts
6,865 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Facing T9 ships in a BB with 14" guns and a 34 sec reload and 21 knots. Haha! Sorry, just no.

The main objection to that ship is that its already bad enough facing T8s, but for T9s it is simply food. Hence: why not give her what you gave to the old Nikolai at T4. A restricted MM so that she never sees T9, except when she is divved. 

Your position puzzles me.  There is little difference between facing Tier VIII BBs and facing Tier IX BBs in a Tier VII BB.  The most significant thing that happens going from Tier VII to Tier VIII is the move from 26mm plating to 32mm plating, but that doesn't affect California because her 356mm AP can't even overmatch 26mm plating.

Very few Tier VII BBs can hold up under Tier VIII or IX BB fire, just Gneinsenau, Hood, Scharnhorst and Sinop, and only Sinop can really punch back.  California will not be significantly worse off than Colorado, Nelson or Nagato, if she is worse off at all.

The RoF change seems unnecessary to me, but....

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

Members
13,459 posts
40,183 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Your position puzzles me.  There is little difference between facing Tier VIII BBs and facing Tier IX BBs in a Tier VII BB.  The most significant thing that happens going from Tier VII to Tier VIII is the move from 26mm plating to 32mm plating, but that doesn't affect California because her 356mm AP can't even overmatch 26mm plating.

Very few Tier VII BBs can hold up under Tier VIII or IX BB fire, just Gneinsenau, Hood, Scharnhorst and Sinop, and only Sinop can really punch back.  California will not be significantly worse off than Colorado, Nelson or Nagato, if she is worse off at all.

Nelson and Nagato are both faster with better guns. Nelson has great HE and of course, can print a new ship any time.

Cali has none of that. 

And the issue is not how she actually performs but how she's perceived. A lot of players are going to look at that crappy reload and slow speed and take a pass.

This is a way to encourage them to take a second look.

• Cool 4

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

I can't say I agree, while you can't bow tank you can absolutely angle against their fire.

• Boring 1

[NONE]
Members
4,071 posts
12,573 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

California will not be significantly worse off than Colorado, Nelson or Nagato, if she is worse off at all.

Right, 14" guns are not worse than 16". Got it. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 5

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,882 posts
2,681 battles
5 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Right, 14" guns are not worse than 16". Got it. :Smile_facepalm:

14" guns with a near 35 second reload.  But hey, you get good secondaries!   ...that you're too slow to be able to use effectively. 

Members
13,459 posts
40,183 battles
15 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

14" guns with a near 35 second reload.  But hey, you get good secondaries!   ...that you're too slow to be able to use effectively. 

Those secondaries are basically fireworks that go off to announce your imminent death.

• Funny 7

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,105 posts
16,872 battles

Compared to Colorado I'd honestly be more worried when uptiered fighting cruisers with 25mm plating or better. They autobounce you, and if you switch to HE your DPM took a big hit with this change, while 34s gives them even longer to turn out between your shots..

[NONE]
Members
4,071 posts
12,573 battles
23 minutes ago, mofton said:

Compared to Colorado I'd honestly be more worried when uptiered fighting cruisers with 25mm plating or better. They autobounce you, and if you switch to HE your DPM took a big hit with this change, while 34s gives them even longer to turn out between your shots..

There's nothing quite as tasty for a Salem as a T7 BB of any kind, but a big, fat, slow one is extradoublegood.

• Cool 1

Members
143 posts
21 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

There's nothing quite as tasty for a Salem as a T7 BB of any kind, but a big, fat, slow one is extradoublegood.

Someone has to have fail dived for a Salem to see a T7 BB.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
3 hours ago, Helstrem said:

IIt's a cr@pbōt that when uptiered is completely hosed. It's not a techtree ship, they want to you to pay real cash for the fail. $30 for nothing more than a slow, slow and slow, undergunned floating target... The puzzling thing is who would pay for it?

What the hell is it supposed to do when it runs into Kitakaze or Friesland? Georgia? ROFLAO! Wargaming could cut ROF in half and it would still be effectively "bottom" even to many tier 9 cruisers

[NONE]
Members
4,071 posts
12,573 battles
4 minutes ago, leops_1984 said:

Someone has to have fail dived for a Salem to see a T7 BB.

788 divs are not uncommon in Co-op, especially when PvE-doable events are running.

• Boring 2

[EQRN]
Members
2,299 posts
21,445 battles

When announced, I would have paid cash for California (born and raised in...). Then it got to be coal or fxp only.  Now I'm not sure I'd even pay fxp, and I'm sitting on nearly 3m.  34 sec reload... oh, but the Nevsky needs buffs :cap_wander_2:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Then feel free not to buy it. Problem solved.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 13

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
29 minutes ago, Lert said:

No no, every premium must be a gudbote, and easily accessible to everyone....:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,748 posts
6,865 battles
6 hours ago, Tekina_ said:

I can't say I agree, while you can't bow tank you can absolutely angle against their fire.

The problem on the Tier VII all or nothing BBs is that the 26mm plating extends all the way down the side.  Well, KGV/DoY have a tall belt, but above that, 26mm.  So no, they can't really angle against 380+mm shells.  The four I mentioned can angle because they are not covered in 26mm plating.

Members
292 posts

tier 7 is tricky, but when you are playing an Omaha do you say "sorry old chap I won't shoot at you with my 14 inch shells?"

Edited by Bluemoon51

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,147 posts
26,918 battles
12 minutes ago, Slumlord_Dasboot said:

IF you don't like it, don't buy it. 

There's no need to worry about that, it's trash anyways.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,748 posts
6,865 battles
15 minutes ago, Bluemoon51 said:

tier 7 is tricky, but when you are playing an Omaha do you say "sorry old chap I won't shoot at you with my 14 inch shells?"

Tier V vs Tier VII is much fairer than Tier VII vs Tier VIII.  The single biggest jump in ship power is from Tier VII to Tier VIII.  Doing plating thickness increases and the concealment module at the same point is just too much.

Members
813 posts
19,524 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

No doubt...

Anything constructive to add to the conversation?...

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
Just now, MichaelJakaSwifty said:

No doubt...

Anything constructive to add to the conversation?...

Nope! You?

• Boring 5

Members
292 posts
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

Tier V vs Tier VII is much fairer than Tier VII vs Tier VIII.  The single biggest jump in ship power is from Tier VII to Tier VIII.  Doing plating thickness increases and the concealment module at the same point is just too much.

Honestly I would much sooner face a Iowa with a Fiji than in an Omaha against a Colorado, but each to their own(I would be pretty unhappy with either match-up though!!!).