You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Shortest game ever..

32 comments in this topic

Members
1,103 posts
3,223 battles

My last game in my Harugumo I lasted 2 minutes. Low visibility match, scouting towards a cap when suddenly the ominous radar detection icon pops up, I did not spot a single ship but then shells come smashing in on this clumsy diet coke cruiser. I'm obliterated before the 2.30 minute mark without firing a shot, 2 minutes later the game is over.. 5 minute 1 sided annihilation. Find tier 5-7 games so much more fun these days, not these 1 sided radar saturated matches. 

Also not helped by the extremely 1 sided radar mix.

shot-20.04.18_11.15.48-0217.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,910 battles
25 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

My last game in my Harugumo I lasted 2 minutes. Low visibility match, scouting towards a cap when suddenly the ominous radar detection icon pops up, I did not spot a single ship but then shells come smashing in on this clumsy diet coke cruiser. I'm obliterated before the 2.30 minute mark without firing a shot, 2 minutes later the game is over.. 5 minute 1 sided annihilation. Find tier 5-7 games so much more fun these days, not these 1 sided radar saturated matches. 

Wow, that's the worst I have seen a match go south by anyone.

Typically if there are two radars on red then they operate in tandem to extend the radar activation. One starts radar and informs how many seconds before it is on cool down. Then second radar activation starts a few secs before first ends.

If there are 3 radars, then a cap can be held almost indefinitely.

Without knowing the position of radars, you will not be able to get behind them.

In my DD, I typically look at the lineup and see what red looks like. I see a radar division, then they are going to find a hideout that 1 can spot the cap and 2 provide cover from Battleships.

If I identify that cover, then I flank and go behind them, taking in to account their known radar ranges and possible heading. I sail as close to what would be their perimeter and make it to the exposed side of the radar cruisers.

To put it simply, rather than take the cap, attack the radars. Stalk them, spot them, from outside their radar range.

Once spotted, I send torps in to their cover to flush them out so the team can pick them off out in the open.

See radars, search and destroy. Don't play defense, play offensive. Because radars sit and are the easiest targets to hit in their cover. They either take the torps you sent or they get out of cover and are exposed to team gunfire out in the open.

Now if you are a gunboat like Harugumo, then stay dark and spot from afar. Attack only if they are distracted by the spotting and your team gunfire. Pick moments to strike when they are not looking, and use the guns wisely. The temptation to set them on fire is great, but spotting them is far more deadly.

Fun fact, a Smollensk that is spotted after his smoke has gone in to cool down, is dead before he can hit his smoke again.

Constantly spotting has always been a dangerous tactic. Cruisers want that by stacking radars, but, knowing their ranges means one prevails this obstacleby keeping a distance just outside and spotting them.

Being aggressive from the start in the presence of radar cruisers will help your team. Because radar cruisers alone do not hold up to well in open combat.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

Radar really does need to be accounted for in MM, it's powerful enough to swing games. And with that many radars you should just assume there's going to be one on each cap and wait before you approach the cap. And ALWAYS have a way to get out of line of fire fast until you know where the radar ships are. It's absolutely harder with a bunch of radar ships, but the only way you're getting nuked that fast is either a detonation or bad positioning on your part.

That said, if you got radared before even getting on the cap, that's some good guessing and positioning on their part. That was a Moskva, Moskva, Daring division you were up against, they're goal is to nuke DDs and lock down a cap. You absolutely shouldn't be pushing on any cap until you know where that division is. And while radar is a factor, wipeouts that bad usually have more to do with your team being morons than anything else.

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,961 battles

I tell all my DD buddies to just spot and let the caps go for the first 5 minutes or so.  Bait a radar if you can but don't get yourself killed.  The caps are as much bait to lose a game as to win.  Unfortunately.

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
26,945 battles

One of the reason I shy away from high tiers. Just way too many radars and Radio detection finders to top it off with Carriers and soon to come subs ! This is game becoming unplayable and with zero enjoyment factor into the equation too.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  

[-ICE-]
Members
619 posts

Ya what is going on?   The last game I was in the red team had 9 players with medal/badges our team had one.. we got slaughtered again.. loss after loss after loss    what the hell

[O7]
Members
1,059 posts
6,802 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

1: Harugumo should not be played like a destroyers. Stay as far away from caps as possible. Ideally 14km away spamming HE.

2: Radar imbalance is irrelevant because radar itself should not be anymore than an annoyance, especially to a ship like Harugumo.

For more information on how to counter play, I have wrote a guide here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/c2m2ki/you_can_pretty_much_tell_how_good_a_dd_player_is/

• Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,408 battles
24 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Ya what is going on?   The last game I was in the red team had 9 players with medal/badges our team had one.. we got slaughtered again.. loss after loss after loss    what the hell

Spend some money and see if the MM improves...

[-ICE-]
Members
619 posts

What are you saying?  IF you dont spend money the MM puts you on a team that is extreamly worse then the red team intentionally?   They do it intentionally?   Is that what ur telling me?

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles
56 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

What are you saying?  IF you dont spend money the MM puts you on a team that is extreamly worse then the red team intentionally?   They do it intentionally?   Is that what ur telling me?

It is a conspiracy theory that would be trivially easy to prove, yet none of its advocates can muster the smidgen of effort needed to sustain their claims, most likely because they enjoy feeling persecuted and know that if they tried to prove it they would only prove their claims baseless.

Members
1,103 posts
3,223 battles
2 hours ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Over and Over...  Why dont you fix this WOW?   Look into it.   There is a problem 

ZZ.png

I had 4 games in a row like that today, decided that the MM fairy was annoyed at me or drunk so I quit out.  Last game we had no divs against 80% of the enemy team been in divs, was extremely one sided as most of my team was fish food by the 5m mark.. 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Last game we had no divs against 80% of the enemy team been in divs....

Was it 75% or 83%? AFAIK, partial ships don't exist, so can't be in a div.

Either way, if that actually happened, it's not supposed to. It's a bug, and should be reported. 

Did you report the bug?

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,408 battles
22 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Was it 75% or 83%? AFAIK, partial ships don't exist, so can't be in a div.

Either way, if that actually happened, it's not supposed to. It's a bug, and should be reported. 

Did you report the bug?

The MM has a queue dump feature that allows for the possibility. So it cant be a bug.

It could even be intentional but we will not be able to prove it without information that WG will never give us.

10 hours ago, Helstrem said:

It is a conspiracy theory that would be trivially easy to prove, yet none of its advocates can muster the smidgen of effort needed to sustain their claims, most likely because they enjoy feeling persecuted and know that if they tried to prove it they would only prove their claims baseless.

Actually, the proof is in the MM patent. Go read it for yourself.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The MM has a queue dump feature that allows for the possibility. So it cant be a bug.

Good point, I hadn't considered that as part of a queue dump.

1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I've read it several times, starting as far back as when I used to play WoT.

There is nothing in the patent that provides a mechanism for favoring one team over the other. It's all about providing each individual player with harder or easier matches by making them top or bottom tier.

Perhaps you could show us just where the patent supports favoring one team over another?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

a friend of a friend told me...  the number of forum complaints is proportional to the number of losing matches a player finds themselves in.. primarily blowouts...

patent exists and goes both ways... it doesn't only go one way... and is at the player level not team level but again.. WG does not use it as they have stated repeatedly... but you will never believe that.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
38 minutes ago, SKurj said:

WG does not use it as they have stated repeatedly... 

I believe they have stated that they don't use it to "rig" matches. (which makes sense, since it doesn't work that way)

But they indeed at least partly use it, that's how MM mirrors tiers, and gives preferential MM to low-tier ships, as well as the recent "40% rule" for bottom tiering.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I believe they have stated that they don't use it to "rig" matches. (which makes sense, since it doesn't work that way)

But they indeed at least partly use it, that's how MM mirrors tiers, and gives preferential MM to low-tier ships, as well as the recent "40% rule" for bottom tiering.

they said they do not use it to alter your battle tier based on win or loss streaks which is the main point of the patent... and the only reason people bring it up...

pref mm has nothing to do with the patent.. except that they both are discussing the mm

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
14 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

See radars, search and destroy. Don't play defense, play offensive. Because radars sit and are the easiest targets to hit in their cover. They either take the torps you sent or they get out of cover and are exposed to team gunfire out in the open.

Of course in this case, it was apparently a storm (low visibility) game so everyone has stealth radar abilities. By the time you can spot the radar cruiser, you are deep in his radar range and likely your team won't be able to see him with your spotting. Likewise, stepping on a CAP will tell them whether you are in range or not. Definitely a bad situation for a DD. Especially when it sounds like his whole team was outclassed by the opposition.

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
13 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

1: Harugumo should not be played like a destroyers. Stay as far away from caps as possible. Ideally 14km away spamming HE.

2: Radar imbalance is irrelevant because radar itself should not be anymore than an annoyance, especially to a ship like Harugumo.

Except, in this case, the OP described it as a low visibility match. Which I assume means a storm. At 14K he won't see anything to shoot at.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,408 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

It's all about providing each individual player with harder or easier matches by making them top or bottom tier.

Exactly. Part of the monetization scheme.

Its all about tailoring the match to the INDIVIDUAL account digital marketing profile...

...and people think that 'RNG' is the same random for everyone...

:cap_haloween:

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles
3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I have read it and a patent isn't proof.  Companies patent stuff they don't use all the time.  Again, it would be trivial to prove it was in use.  You don't do that because you know the real answer already and you prefer to have something to self pity about.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,408 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

I have read it and a patent isn't proof.  Companies patent stuff they don't use all the time.  Again, it would be trivial to prove it was in use.  You don't do that because you know the real answer already and you prefer to have something to self pity about.

Why would it be trivial?

My contention is that MM is NOT uniform across accounts. That means analysis of the overal meta data from sites like maplesyrup would NOT be a simple matter.

Personally, I think most people just dont want to realize that WG is a modern free2play gaming company.

[O7]
Members
1,059 posts
6,802 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Except, in this case, the OP described it as a low visibility match. Which I assume means a storm. At 14K he won't see anything to shoot at.

Cyclones appear at 5 minute mark at the earliest. OP said that he died far earlier than that.