You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SpinyMuffins

Any way to expand aircraft spotting range?

10 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts
1,666 battles

I've been playing the Langley and I've really been enjoying it. Then I recently upgraded to the Ranger and I'm finding it infuriating.

The biggest annoyance is that the higher tier planes have such a limited spotting range, and fly faster so their targeting sights are much farther out, that I'm often not able to see most destroyers and cruisers until I'm right on top of them and well past the point where I have time to begin an attack. Then my planes all get annihilated by AA fire while I try to turn around.

Am I missing something? Why are Langley's crapplanes have such great spotting range and great attack distance where you can't get anything done with the Ranger's "better" planes?

• Funny 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

want to see far... sail a ship... its a weird world where visibility is better at sea level than it is at 5000ft

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,691 posts
8,562 battles

Right, so firstly it's probably prudent to fix a misconception you seem to have about how spotting is done via planes. 

The 'spotting range' you are talking about has nothing to do with your planes, it's the enemy ships that are the issue. The spotting range for planes is actually quite far, but there's an issue with this. Every ship in the game has a 'spotted by air' stat the lowest being the DDs and cruisers, some ships have such a large spotted by air range that you generally will see them a good bit out but for some DDs and CL/CAs the range is rather low. DDs in particular often have a sub 3km spotted by air range which means that often enough the AA has more range than the DDs' assured acquisition range via planes, if the DD leaves the AA on you will see them when the AA goes off, however it has become common practice to turn AA off until the planes get close so as to maximise the time they spend unspotted. 

TDLR: it's not your planes spotting range it's the concealment of the enemy. 

• Cool 1

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

A few mechanics clarifications first:

Unlike WoT, individual ships or planes do not have a variable "spotting range" that allows them to see enemies from further away.  Instead every ship has a set detection range that they're spotted from.  This detection range is broken down into air and surface detection.  Most destroyers have 2.5-3km air spotting ranges, which means as long as they don't fire their AA guns from further out, planes won't be able to strike them on the first pass.  Also, just in case, there is a "spotting range" in game, but it's just a render range and it's mostly a relic from older days.  It doesn't really affect gameplay in a meaningful way.

Ranger's planes are in fact much superior to Langley's, but Langley and all the other tier 4 carriers are all extremely one dimensional and powerful for their tier.  Starting from Ranger you'll have to account for a much larger amount of AA fire, as well as learn to utilize the strengths of each squad, and who you can strike, to maximize your game impact.  It will be rough, especially when you're facing tier 8s, but things get much better once you develop a sense of target selection.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,095 posts
2,429 battles

Aircraft from the carrier can pretty much spot everything at distance but the one thing aircraft can spot quickly are DDs :Smile_hiding: Aircraft have too literally sometimes fly over the DD to spot it :Smile_bajan2:

Edited by LastRemnant

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,436 battles
1 hour ago, SpinyMuffins said:

I've been playing the Langley and I've really been enjoying it. Then I recently upgraded to the Ranger and I'm finding it infuriating.

The biggest annoyance is that the higher tier planes have such a limited spotting range, and fly faster so their targeting sights are much farther out, that I'm often not able to see most destroyers and cruisers until I'm right on top of them and well past the point where I have time to begin an attack. Then my planes all get annihilated by AA fire while I try to turn around.

Am I missing something? Why are Langley's crapplanes have such great spotting range and great attack distance where you can't get anything done with the Ranger's "better" planes?

Also you are running into higher tier ships that have access to an extra 10% concealment buff due to the upgrade module that lower tier ships don't get.

Members
78 posts
5,467 battles
2 hours ago, SpinyMuffins said:

Then my planes all get annihilated by AA fire while I try to turn around

Just  dodge

• Funny 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,309 posts
2 hours ago, SpinyMuffins said:

Your better off going to the CV section to post.  The trolls dont go there because there afraid of the channel.

[LANCE]
Members
940 posts
7,023 battles

As Sinboto said it’s all about the detection from air value of each ship, DD’s having the lowest detectability. As you advance up the tiers in CV’s you also run into your planes flying a lot faster (some tiers anyway). This makes it a lot easier for you to fly over and miss the target you just spotted (DD’s in particular).

You need to work on gaining Captain skills for the CV. Survivability Expert (tier 3 Captain skill) adds more health to your planes. Look at what planes work best for the CV you have. Ranger has good good dive bombers iirc so maximize their health to make them survive a bit longer. At tier 6 your planes are simply paper to a shredder if you try to attack tier 8 ships (like a Cleveland or Witchita). To help your team in this scenario fly around and spot .. careful not to get too close to AA “bubbles” (groups of ships). Instead pick on stragglers and low HP ships. You can start getting damage mid-late game. This will help the team and save your planes from being cannon fodder.

As a DD main I’ll probably lose my membership to the DD mafia for telling you these tips but here goes :

- By tier 6 most DD captains should know to keep AA turned off unless spotted

- They should also be learning to “Just dodge!”.

- If you spot/fly over a DD drop a fighter consumable. It’ll keep him spotted while you make your turn. Use your speed to slow down and make tighter turns

- Ranger has an oval rocket site. Attacking from the side will give best results. Most DD players should also know to head straight at your planes meaning you’ll over shoot him. Learn to fire before he’s in the target and that will help get results

- If a DD smokes up, follow the “puffs” and fire blind at where you think he’ll be. Takes practice. Don’t bother shooting at his AA in smoke as it doesn’t really have any barring as to where he is. If he fires his main guns though you can blind fire where the shots came from

- EU DD’s have good AA for a DD anyway. Take a look at the WoWs wiki and see which DD’s have the better AA so you can choose wisely

- When you launch a full squadron it can be prudent to make a “false attack” and fire at empty sea so you send a flight back to your ship. This’ll stop you losing as many planes if you run into anything nasty

Play some DD’s if you haven’t already. You’ll see how frustrating CV’s can be for DD’s. 1 successful rocket attack can scrub a 1/3rd of your health but it’ll also give you an idea how to counter some of the tactics DD’s use. You’ll also learn some of the spots DD’s tend to hang out on the maps. You’ll see how “Just Dodge!” is a $h1t fix for DD’s also!!

Im not the best player or a CV lover but hope some of these tips will help.

BTW ... if you see me in a game in my DD and you’re in a CV on the enemy team ... leave me alone!! 

Good luck mate! Stay safe

• Cool 2

Members
2,687 posts
4,393 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Your better off going to the CV section to post.  The trolls dont go there because there afraid of the channel.

Sadly there are a few who go out of there way to head over to the CV section just to be obnoxious but its far more rare.

• Cool 1