Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RonJamesDio

Expert loader on BB's?

21 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
358 posts
5,038 battles

As the title suggests, I am curious about the value of the skill on a Battleship, particularly ones who have solid ammo choices such as the KGV, Dunkerque, Thunderer and Russian BB's.

I have had decent sucess firing whatever shell I have loaded and then changing, but I have been trying to be more dynamic in my ammunition selections, particularly when an enemy is caught making a turn in front of me. 

Is it a waste of points? 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

Personally, for my "Normal" BBs I keep AP slotted almost all the time, so EL has minimal use.

However, RN BBs tend to use their HE a lot and some switching to AP or back may be necessary.  Conqueror for example has very good AP.  Though HE was my typically loaded shell with Conqueror, EL was very helpful when I anticipated opportunities where AP would have been ideal.

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,567 posts
13,017 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Personally, for my "Normal" BBs I keep AP slotted almost all the time, so EL has minimal use.

However, RN BBs tend to use their HE a lot and some switching to AP or back may be necessary.  Conqueror for example has very good AP.  Though HE was my typically loaded shell with Conqueror, EL was very helpful when I anticipated opportunities where AP would have been ideal.

Do you think it EL is a good choice for the Thunderer since her HE and AP are both so good .

[1984]
Members
4,494 posts
22,222 battles
20 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I never understood the point of this skill when you can preselect the next ammo type prior to firing a salvo. Since all guns must be loaded for the skill to work you are talking about waiting a full reload cycle plus the el shortened time. If you preselect you are already changing once the salvo is fired.

what am i missing?

Edited by monpetitloup

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,961 battles
11 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I never understood the point of this skill when you can preselect the next ammo type prior to firing a salvo. Since all guns must be loaded for the skill to work you are talking about waiting a full reload cycle plus the el shortened time. If you preselect you are already changing once the salvo is fired.

what am i missing?

When you've got HE loaded and someone looks to be about to make a giant mistake right in front of you.  Comes in handy then.  For a BB I get that maybe not that frequently useful.  For CAs, if you can spare the point, I say try it out.

Edited by CommodoreKang

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,263 battles
20 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Do you think it EL is a good choice for the Thunderer since her HE and AP are both so good .

Her reload is so fast you don't need it. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
14,356 posts
20,908 battles

EL on BBs, its a wasted skill... I never used EL on BBs, I have enough time to switch to HE if needed, I have no need for EL for BBs

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,961 battles
18 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Her reload is so fast you don't need it. 

My reload is 5 seconds and I find it amazingly useful.  

It wasn't until I got Halsey that I finally reworked everything to fit it in.  But, now, I'd never go without it.  Those perfect AP opportunities only last a few seconds and dumping your loadout will warn whatever you're shooting at.

And it only takes seconds for a flat broadside to get angled enough to bounce a couple.

Deep into MinMax territory though.  Most people shooting AP most the time probably should spend the point elsewhere.

[CDOH]
Members
981 posts
8,620 battles

I use EL on Monty and Thunderer.   its great on Monty with john doe or Halsey. 

Edited by Rothgar_57

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,768 battles

It is a very useful skill.

There are quite a few ships that bow tank extremely well, and which can dig into island positions and be very hard to counter. These ships are best countered by HE. 

BBs have the best fire starting chance per salvo, and the best penetration also. When a group of players focus their collective fire upon a hard target that is bow tanking from a secure location, every fire started is critical.

You want to force the damage control to be activated, and after that has run out (10 seconds or so), you want to start fires as soon as possible. Therefore, you want everyone shooting HE, if you can. Not because one specific ship will do amazing damage, but because everyone firing HE gives the team the best chance of getting a perma fire very soon after the damage control runs out.

A BB using HE is not about the BB getting the kill, or even about the BB doing optimal damage with each salvo. It is about the team having the best chance to burn down a problem enemy, and win strategic position. If you cannot swap ammo type quickly, you can't take part in the focused fire orders of your team.

Don't be that guy. Spend the point on expert loader.

Also useful for blatting DDs that are too close.

Edited by SidTheBlade

Members
648 posts

Thunderer benefits greatly. Sometimes I'm burning down a GK and a broadside DM pops up and it's nice to be able to switch to AP in 11 seconds vs 22 seconds. That extra 11 seconds can mean the difference between  Devstrike and no Devstrike. 

I also agree that if you're running halsey on monty it makes sense, especially since 12 guns shooting HE can wreck DDs. 

I have EL on my thunderer and monty. 

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
3 hours ago, RonJamesDio said:

As the title suggests, I am curious about the value of the skill on a Battleship, particularly ones who have solid ammo choices such as the KGV, Dunkerque, Thunderer and Russian BB's.

I have had decent sucess firing whatever shell I have loaded and then changing, but I have been trying to be more dynamic in my ammunition selections, particularly when an enemy is caught making a turn in front of me. 

Is it a waste of points? 

I would feel that Expert Loader is a waste of a skill point that can instead be used for Priority Target, Preventive Maintenance, or the skill that gives you 2 Catapult Fighter squadrons in the air at a time ( Which I often forget the name of that skill). The cat fighter skill I have rarely used except when I desperately needed more AA defense on a ship but said ship happened o have very weak AA guns. But sill useful enough to be considered. And can actually be used in a temporary captain build to buy time until you can get additional captain skills for AA skills.

So typically the only considerations for 1 point skills are either PT, PM or both. BBs are commonly very skill point hungry in terms of 2 point, 3 point, or 4 point skills which is why at least for me the thought of even considering Expert Loader is a tragic idea.

Members
864 posts
4,679 battles

You're trading one sub-optimal salvo now, and another in ~20 to 30 seconds (depending on ship), for one 'optimal' salvo in half the time of your reload.

I've always found Priority Target and Preventative Maintenance far more useful.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,624 posts
16,374 battles

I run it on my US heavy/super cruiser captains where I find it extremely useful with the Halsey bonus. If I have a point to spare on my Montana build with John Doe I might consider it there. But I don't think the standard 50% bonus is enough for any other battleship line. 10 seconds+ is a lot of maneuvering time. 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,703 battles
15 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

what am i missing?

I use it with Halsey on Georgia/Iowa.

If a DD pops up at 10km, I'd sooner gamble that he'll be visible for that length of time, and I can sling HE at him, rather than shoot AP and have to wait 30 seconds for effective ammo. (by which time he's either disappeared or sunk)

That's pretty much it though. Worth it with a bonus to the skill, but not really otherwise, and not really against anything other than DDs.

However, it's a good skill to have in cruisers IMO. You can be slinging HE, and then swap quick enough to catch a cruiser broadside as he makes a turn, or if that cruiser sitting behind an island decides to poke his nose out.

[O7]
Members
1,520 posts
12,125 battles

expert loader is amazing on most bb, the only exception would be yamato because you overmatch almost everything.

b2f23247186a9916b8af611731582cff.png

this is my build i use on my montana, repub, borgape, kreml and conq i highly recommend.

you do not need concealment in random battles because cv exists and is only 10 seconds away from spotting you anywhere on the map plus you should be firing your guns as often as possible to maximise damage farming. Having expert loader is huge because ap is essentially not effective for any targets angling so switch to h.e and club the nose for 10k and fires. i find you can farm an easy 30k+ at the beginning of a match at long ranges just spamming h.e too.

high alert is quite useful for american bb because of the dcp duration so getting faster reloads is huge but jack of all trades could be really nice too for the faster heals. 

Members
2,368 posts
34,552 battles

Waste of time.  If a DD rears it's rat face in front of a BB then changing out the shell wastes 10 to 15 sec.  The DD probably vanishes by then.  Shoot what's in the tubes.

[APES]
Members
718 posts
8,874 battles

Only usn  bb with 75% reduction is worth it. 10 seconds or more of switching time is too great to be worth it.

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
11,023 battles

I personally only use it on RN BBs, and Bourgogne "just because you use HE quite a bit with her as her small caliber means AP use is opportunistic rather than what you should always have loaded." 

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,354 posts
15,488 battles

I run it on my Missouri with John Doe and my Alaska with Halsey since they both get 75% reductions.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
358 posts
5,038 battles

Thanks for the input lads and lasses! It sounds like a lot of it is personal preference. Some folks swear by it, some don't. I appreciate all the advice though! 

Sign in to follow this