GUTB

Sinop - God Awful!

46 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
768 posts
3,848 battles

So I haven't played the game in a while and I saw there have been various updates so I decided to go down the Russian tree. I free XP'd to Sinop. And WOW is this ship terrible! What was WG thinking putting such a low-performance ship in the game? How are you supposed to use it? Is island hiding the only thing it can do?

• Funny 3
  • Meh 1

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

It's one of the best T7 BBs and the best tech tree one by a mile. It has pretty much everything you could want in a T7 BB. 

[SGSS]
Members
6,326 posts
9 minutes ago, GUTB said:

So I haven't played the game in a while and I saw there have been various updates so I decided to go down the Russian tree. I free XP'd to Sinop. And WOW is this ship terrible! What was WG thinking putting such a low-performance ship in the game? How are you supposed to use it? Is island hiding the only thing it can do?

Dude all Russian BB are extramly to strong or flat our op.

Beta Testers
768 posts
3,848 battles

How are people claiming this ship is OP? I know from memory T7 ships tend to be junk in general....in fact, T1-4 are always junk, some T5s are good, ships only start getting performance at T8, with T9 and T10 being mostly good. But this is too much. Crazy slow turret traverse, slow reload, ridiculously short range, little protection (although it might be all BBs are fragile now).

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
9,236 posts
12,706 battles
1 minute ago, GUTB said:

How are people claiming this ship is OP? I know from memory T7 ships tend to be junk in general....in fact, T1-4 are always junk, some T5s are good, ships only start getting performance at T8, with T9 and T10 being mostly good. But this is too much. Crazy slow turret traverse, slow reload, ridiculously short range, little protection (although it might be all BBs are fragile now).

Er, wut? T7 boasts some of the strongest ships in the game. Just because you happen to do poorly in them doesn't mean they're bad. And, for your info, Sinope is so stupidly brokenly overpowered, it's actually funny as heck. Also, T1-4 aren't always junk, though I think most would agree T5 suffers.

• Cool 2

[PRVTR]
Members
1,147 posts
6,763 battles

The only thing bad about the SinOP is the fact that it looks like the love child of the Devil and some godawful demonette

Otherwise, it's fine

:SerB:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,296 posts
27,061 battles
8 minutes ago, GUTB said:

No wonder you had so many problems before you left.  Practically everything you said is wrong.

As for Sinop:

1.  Stop showing broadsides.

2.  Sinop's gunnery is quite good in the kind of ranges mid tiers engages in.

3.  Her 16" guns have great Overmatch advantages in her tier and her guns still demand respect from higher tier threats.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
9 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Crazy slow turret traverse, slow reload, ridiculously short range, little protection (although it might be all BBs are fragile now).

The traverse isn't bad enough to matter, nor is the reload or range. You have 9 406cm guns in one of the best turret layouts of the tier, thick armor with an extended belt, soviet balansed accuracy(even after the sigma nerfs), soviet balansed damcon. You aren't even slow, and of course you get soviet BB acceleration/deceleration too. There is a reason it's one of the BBs of choice for T7 ranked.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
40 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Ah, I think I see the problem.

So Sinop is actually a really strong battleship, but like with the rest of the Russian line (especially up to Vladivostok at tier 8) there's a few big ol' asterisks that you have to tack onto that statement. The tl;dr is that the Russian battleship line is VERY good at emphasizing battleships' general strengths AND weaknesses. The solution is to get right up in peoples' faces in a corridor and bow-tank like there's no tomorrow. To break down everything about them though:

Gunnery: High-damage, if a Sinop CAN manage a good broadside while minimizing risk then she has the second-heaviest broadside weight at tier 7. But her reload is slow, range is short, and her dispersion goes all wonky out past 10-12km.

Armor: Sinop's armor is fantastic and can bow-tank pretty much anything short of a Yamato. That said, if she shows ANY side whatsoever it's a paddlin'. Sinop eats citadels for days and her *ahem* "turtleback" is the worst in the game, deflecting shells INTO the citadel if it deflects them at all. Showing broadside is a great way to become a Si-nope.

AA: HA! What AA? This is a tier 7 Russian ship, you're lucky that they decided to issue out AKs for Ivan and his pals on flak patrol. Before that they only had service revolvers and harsh language. Sinop hates planes.

Torpedoes: Again, Sinop's torp protection is worst in tier for a battleship. Avoid fish like the plague.

Agility: Sinop's ruddershift and reversing speed are surprisingly good for a battleship, which is great for tight-quarters maneuvering which she'll likely find herself in while bow-tanking. The problem is her turning circle is roughly the size of THE MOON. 30 acres is not enough to turn Sinop around, try 100.

Consumables: This one LOOKS like a trade-off, but honestly works out in Sinop's favor more often than not. Just keep calm and DamCon as you normally would. The limited charges only matter if you stay alive a REALLY long time in the thick of it, and the quicker reload means your DamCon is harder to overload.

To play Sinop well is to know her weaknesses and how to mitigate them. Playing Sinop well will teach you not only how to succeed with the rest of the Russian line, but battleships in general when viewed from the broad strokes. That being said, you also would have learned a LOT of this if you'd played Izmail and Peter the Leaky, but instead you chose to skip them and here we are. I don't mean that free XP'ing ships is an inherently bad thing, just make sure you're aware that you'll be missing a lot more time in lower tiers to tease out the line in a more forgiving environment.

• Cool 4

[USA]
Beta Testers
360 posts
45 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Bruh.... Sinop is the most busted BB at tier 7. Literally the only thing they could've done to make her more overpowered than she already is would've been to either give her the warp-speed turret traverse of the Kremlin (strongest T10 BB), or give her the increased accuracy at ranges less than 15km (like Vlad, Sovetsky, and Kremlin all get).

Her armor plating is idiotically strong. She has an ice-breaker bow (like all Russian ships) which allows her to go nose-in to ships with 406mm guns and larger and have a DECENT chance at not getting citadelled from the front. She has 406mm guns herself with magical Russian AP rounds.

[USA]
Beta Testers
360 posts
13 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Peter the Leaky

I lol'ed hard when I read this. +1 for you sir.

Also, the Gangrene at tier 4 is one of the only battleships in the game that can bow-in a Yamato and laugh at the 460mm AP shells. Minimum armor plating on the Gangrene's bow is 38mm, which is on her deck. Rest of the fore end is either 75mm or 125mm.

[UNC]
Members
980 posts
6,587 battles

Guessing the OP didn't bother to learn about the Soviet BB "gimmick" and is trying to snipe from max range. 

[CLRN]
Members
837 posts
122 battles
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Have you ever considered that the problem isnt the ship but you? Because like its name says: sinOP. That ship is a freaking monster. You can easly tank tier 9 BBs with her.

Edited by ghostbuster_

[CLRN]
Members
837 posts
122 battles
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Little protection? Fragile? What? That ship is tanky af. Have you ever checked her armor layout? If you show broadside, sure you get citadeled but thats how it has to be.

[TDRB]
Members
5,399 posts
13,743 battles
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

While I don't buy into the fashionable fad of labeling any & every new Russian ship over powering as it appears many in this forum have, I can say the Sinop is not a bad ship as long as you don't expose its broadsides & wait until you are within 15km or less to engage your target. Over 15km the dispersion is horrendous. Bow tanking is what most Russian BB excel at. I've came very close to getting a devastating strike  hitting the broadside of a 100% full of health Russian BB on more than one occasion.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles

Ah yes, Sinop, one of the worst nightmares I had to face in T7 Ranked sprint while playing Belfast, a ship that at that time was well beyond busted. That thing tanks like a brick, and it threw bricks right back at me. Nasty ship. If you can't make her work, that's a shame.

But if you want, people will surely give you advice if you ask.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
2 hours ago, X01_ISAAC_7 said:

I lol'ed hard when I read this. +1 for you sir.

I cannot claim credit for that one personally. However, if you ever heard a Vladivostok called "Vlad the Often Impaled", that one was me. :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

[SR-_-]
Members
5,023 posts
46,984 battles

It's a good ship in the right hands. But there are weaknesses that discount any idea of op. Her secbat is vulnerable to AP from 100mm to 127mm DDs. Just switching to AP and you sweep the deck of the secbat.

I busted all the secbat on one side in a game and only two remained on the other side.

This can lead to serious issues as a DD will switch over to HE and burn the ship down.

OP Russian BBs. I have my doubts. I do great, but having done Evil experiments on the ship as a DD player and I see her weaknesses.

Bow tank, sure but catch those turrets pointing one direction and you hit the turrets from behind and you have something.

A destroyed gun turret. Even bow tanked, any BB can lose the #2 superfiring turret. Hit the casemate just below and it's gone.

I have done this and once certain players know to do this regularly,  will spell the doom of bow tanking. Such a tactic is sound until you run into that one player that blows of#2 and proceeds to blast off the rest just for giggles. The only means to mitigate is to hit damage con but then you run out fast.

So yes, she's can be bad, but only if you are not aware of these new developments.

Otherwise a good ship.

Every ship has a weakness. There be no exceptions.

Maybe the future Russian super battleship with 520mm guns will change that.

If you go based on Russian naming conventions the next name for Russian super battleship will be....drum roll.......

BURAN

BURAN is Odin's father in Norse mythology.

It is also the name of the Russian space shuttle.

Yes, I do my homework. I have my own ways.

Don't panic WG if I got that guess right.

Because it's really.....

A shot in the dark. Maybe ;)

[SR-_-]
Members
5,023 posts
46,984 battles
17 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

I cannot claim credit for that one personally. However, if you ever heard a Vladivostok called "Vlad the Often Impaled", that one was me. :Smile-_tongue:

I too was often impaled in Vladdy. At one point I thought everyone suspected me of being a vampire. Since I could see the pitchforks and torches.

Okay, so the 🌞 bothers my eyes and that is only because I work nights.

I vaguely remember the 16th century. Even my dentist supsects. But really, not a vampire. 😏🦇

• Funny 3

[ARPGT]
[ARPGT]
4,415 posts
4,799 battles

It's not like Sinop is the strongest T7.

kQEMuPj.png

~Hunter

Members
765 posts
72 battles
3 hours ago, GUTB said:

Its definatly one of the strongest BBs at the tier.

• Cool 1

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
19,776 battles

sinop is not a sniper, if you shoot from your spawn all game , RU BB's special dispersion will not work for you

sinop in broken in her tankiness when not giving broadside+excellent salvo quality

well i guess if you cant aim and always give enemy flat broadside, then sinop wont be a pleasant experience, but that goes for all battleships, not just sinop