You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ScortLX

What's the point...?

18 comments in this topic

[DOINK]
Members
41 posts
16,621 battles

So, what's the point of having the "Engine Room Protection" module installed? Everytime my Jervis gets hit it disables my engines. Tried a couple battles without it and sure enough, same results. Waste of credits if you ask me.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
3 minutes ago, ScortLX said:

So, what's the point of having the "Engine Room Protection" module installed? Everytime my Jervis gets hit it disables my engines. Tried a couple battles without it and sure enough, same results. Waste of credits if you ask me.

It only reduces the chance of incapacitation by 20%.  You're a DD, so you're ultimately very vulnerable to begin with.

I'd 100% recommend stacking the Engine Room Protection module along with the commander skill Last Stand on every DD you play.

[SALV0]
Members
86 posts
17,982 battles
39 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

It only reduces the chance of incapacitation by 20%.  You're a DD, so you're ultimately very vulnerable to begin with.

I'd 100% recommend stacking the Engine Room Protection module along with the commander skill Last Stand on every DD you play.

Thats exactly what I take on all my dds. 

Besides, what else are you going to take?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

You are taking it more for the reduction in repair time. As a DD you need the Last Stand skill to still keep moving.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
1 minute ago, ORPBury said:

Thats exactly what I take on all my dds. 

Besides, what else are you going to take?

I also take Magazine Mod 1 for its -70 detonation and save the det flags for things like CB and Ranked.

• Cool 1

Members
1,660 posts
1 hour ago, ScortLX said:

I hope your Captain has the PM skill instead of or with PT.  It makes a difference.

Edit:  For what it is worth, I don't us PT at all, especially not on DDs.  If I am detected, everyone is shooting at me cause I am dead smexy.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,698 posts
1 minute ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I hope you're Captain has the PM skill instead of or with PT.  It makes a difference.

This. I don't even use PT anymore. If I'm detected then I figure that someone is aiming at me. I'd rather have a bit more protection for my modules.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
54 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

This. I don't even use PT anymore. If I'm detected then I figure that someone is aiming at me. I'd rather have a bit more protection for my modules.

Snarg, it depends on what type of DD you're in, and whether you want to be shooting your guns.  If you're in an IJN DD and you don't want to shoot your guns, I might see your point.  But if you want to support your team mates with some gun fire in a DD, PT is actually useful.  It not so much about whether one enemy might be targeting you.  It's about whether 2 or 3 or more are.  Also, I don't think that one should always assume that just because you're detected in a DD that you're going to be automatically targeted.  It's rather situation dependent.  Obviously there are times when you will absolutely be targeted.  But sometimes, if you're on the edge of a brawl, the enemy ships in the brawl may just ignore your non-gunboat DD if you start shooting at, say, 9-10 km.  And at those times, having PT is useful for letting you know if the enemy suddenly is about to start shooting at you when the PT # goes up, and lets you know that it's time to stop shooting and run for cover or to get auto-undetected (i.e. outside of your gun bloom range). 

PT can also be useful for hardcore gunboat DDs in the same way.  You're pew-pewing close to your max gun range, and being ignored.  But suddenly, your PT # goes up, and it's time to run outside of your max gun range to get undetected.

PT can be very useful for a DD, if you know how to use it properly.  But if all you're going to do is assume that you're being targeted if you're detected, then you're not really gaining any benefit from PT.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,698 posts
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Snarg, it depends on what type of DD you're in

You are correct. DDs have become so diverse nowadays that many can't just be traditionally classified as "DD" anymore, playing more like superlight cruisers. I was basing my experience mainly on the Gearing. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,597 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

This, 100% you ALWAYS want LAST STAND on a DD!

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Absolutely.  Last Stand is a 100% must-have skill for DDs, and even a handful of cruisers with vulnerable engines or rudders.

[PVE]
Members
8,999 posts
25,340 battles

I take all 3 (PT/PM/LS) on all DDs...whether torp or gunboat...along w/either torp reload & CE (torp DDs)/or BFT & AFT (gunboats) it's always my 1st 11 points.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
9 hours ago, Umikami said:

Yet, it's amazing how many you see without it, even at high tiers.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,388 posts
12,784 battles
10 hours ago, Umikami said:

Aggressively put, but true.

One of the few things I used to spend doubloons on was a 3pt captain when starting a DD line.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

This. I don't even use PT anymore. If I'm detected then I figure that someone is aiming at me. 

So you wouldn't play any differently if  you knew 1 ship was aiming at you than 4?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,698 posts
12 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

So you wouldn't play any differently if  you knew 1 ship was aiming at you than 4?

Not really because if I'm in a DD one cruiser can take me out about if I stay in range or out in the open. Also, if four ships have targeted me I'm pretty much dead anyway.

I did take PT on my Midway though because the way I have it configured I had an extra point that was just sitting there. It's sometimes nice to see how many ships are firing on my planes.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,698 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Also, if four ships have targeted me I'm pretty much dead anyway.

If you don't know it's four, you sure are lol.

I find that, if I run away when it hits 4, I don't usually die.

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
864 posts
14,543 battles

I seldom ever run PT on any DD. PM is just way more useful. A cruiser with decent concealment can benefit more from PT to let you know where the bigger red cap threats are. But it is also loads of fun to run PT on things like a RU Keiv DD. You can then full speed ahead up to the edge of the cap at the beginning of the game hit speed boost, fire your guns into the red side and instantaneously start skating away back towards you green allies. You can generally report back "yup x-number targeted me" The meme of course is to get 8 or more which is always fun. The potential damage you pick-up is always great too. :cap_haloween: 

Anyway ... Without engine room protection mod and last stand captain skill combo a single shell clipping your hull can make you dead in the water without any movement. It make for a very bad experience. DD 101 don't be dead in the water.