You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Auto Penalise AFKers

70 comments in this topic

Members
1,105 posts
3,232 battles

3 games in a row now where the top ship has not moved from the spawn. (9 straight losses is also making me vent) The last game our top BB and CV both did not play.. Auto lose despite a valiant effort (which just rubbed salt into the wounds). The game needs to auto penalise 0 score players with a auto 1 hour ban. If you internet drops out or your pc crashes it should not take you 20+m to reconnect. Relying on the slack community to report them is not effective. 

Sorry for the rant, have not won a game in ages and I'm sick of been on the losing team. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 7

Beta Testers
237 posts
12,285 battles

And what is that 1 hour ban accomplishing? Trigger a tear storm in that person so that this person is now turning into a saint and does everything perfect?

Dream on.

• Boring 1

Members
443 posts
451 battles

You need perspective, my friend. Get a bottle of dirty tequila, turn on The Bob Newhart Show, and play a few episodes worth of “Hi Bob” solitaire. You’ll hate yourself in the morning, but at least you’ll forget all about afk warships players for awhile.

• Funny 2

[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
769 posts
27,784 battles

So if the game crashes and i have too restart and the match is over  i should get banned?   get lost buddy.

• Cool 5

Community Department
3,361 posts
1,300 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

3 games in a row now where the top ship has not moved from the spawn. (9 straight losses is also making me vent) The last game our top BB and CV both did not play.. Auto lose despite a valiant effort (which just rubbed salt into the wounds). The game needs to auto penalise 0 score players with a auto 1 hour ban. If you internet drops out or your pc crashes it should not take you 20+m to reconnect. Relying on the slack community to report them is not effective. 

Sorry for the rant, have not won a game in ages and I'm sick of been on the losing team. 

I see your frustration. It's 100% understandable. I even remember some victories when one of the players is AFK, but they, of course, are rare.

We have a system for such cases. And it prevents most of such violations currently. Without playing a number of clean battles in Co-op, such violators won't return to Random: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Teamkilling#AFK_and_abandoning_ship

If you find that AFK player somehow does this on purpose, please send such replays to the Support and we'll check if he deserves suspension from the game.
Thank you for your feedback. 

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
1,085 posts

WG should be penalized for AFK players resulting from game crashes/hangs on battle launch.  Various elements of the software, i.e. error monitor, have been proven to cause problems, reported, and never fixed.  The only solution now is to delete the error monitor file before launch.  So, AFK does not mean they are truly AFK.  They could be there in isolated frustration, beating the keyboard and trying to get into the game again.

• Cool 3

[NYAAR]
Members
3,003 posts
15,969 battles
3 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

The game needs to auto penalise 0 score players with a auto 1 hour ban.

but not all AFKers get a zero score.

Should the enemy get in close where the secondary opens up and registers hits, or the CV flies his planes in and gets hit from AA or even loses planes, the AFKer scores points.

It gets really sad when you see the end battle screen and the AFKer scores higher then people who actually played.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

another positive for increasing team size... one afk/bot has less of an impact on the outcome...

• Cool 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Please ignore the OP, he posts this crap at least 2-3 times a year.

Many of us deal with these same issues and play hard to the end. Sometimes you win & sometimes you don't with an AFK on your team. I usually refer to them as our solo warrior waiting to happen. Usually the lone AFK is not the reason you lost. 

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
638 posts
13,637 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

They are auto punished.  When people say to report AFK players I always respond with "Why?"   It is a waste of time reporting AFK players because they automatically turn pink the next battle. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

one thing i see more of here than in tanks... are people afk for half the match...  I sometimes wonder if its a slow load in.. or they got interrupted ...  

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
23 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Please ignore the OP, he posts this crap at least 2-3 times a year.

Many of us deal with these same issues and play hard to the end. Sometimes you win & sometimes you don't with an AFK on your team. I usually refer to them as our solo warrior waiting to happen. Usually the lone AFK is not the reason you lost. 

I tend to make a note of AFK ships and make adjustments to how I'm approaching the battle.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
10 minutes ago, SKurj said:

one thing i see more of here than in tanks... are people afk for half the match...  I sometimes wonder if its a slow load in.. or they got interrupted ...  

I think most AFK is the result of connection issues.  In this time when we're all home, bandwidth is stretched for most, making connection issues more likely.  I think the OP is overreacting.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
14 minutes ago, Admiral_Andy said:

They are auto punished.  When people say to report AFK players I always respond with "Why?"   It is a waste of time reporting AFK players because they automatically turn pink the next battle. 

100% False

I have seen them do it and then in the next game still be non-colored and still AFK. I do agree the only thing that actually does any good reporting is "misbehavior in chat" Now the AFKer that does get Pink the next game is someone who's game crashed knocking them out of the server registering as a leaving game early. But the ones who are BOTing do not in the games ive seen.

This is also why reporting AFKers and Punishing them is very hard, with the internet being so 100% reliable things happen on occasion beyond your control. The only way I can see being able to deal with people is to make the "Report System" more effective.

We keep being told here to (SEND A REPLAY TO SUPPORT) this tells me that our reports dont do anything (in-game) well my solution is then to have on the team-line-up when you hit "Report) it automatically will generate a report to "SUPPORT" with a replay. Kinda defeating of the purpose of a report feature if it does not actually report IMO.

• Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
11 minutes ago, JAKeller said:

I think most AFK is the result of connection issues.  In this time when we're all home, bandwidth is stretched for most, making connection issues more likely.  I think the OP is overreacting.

you can tell the difference between afk or disconnect though...  

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
638 posts
13,637 battles
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

you can tell the difference between afk or disconnect though...  

You can but most people on the game will call a disconnected player AFK

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,657 battles
5 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

The game needs to auto penalise 0 score players with a auto 1 hour ban.

Seriously, if the offender is missing a 20 minute match what makes you think he'll be back in an hour. This is totally unrealistic.

[SGSS]
Members
6,309 posts

Its been hard to connect somtimes latley.  Everyone needs a break right now .

Somtime I get in perfictly and other times it takes 7 min.  We have still one some of them.

There was one the game was 7 min in.  I rushed the attack into battle fireing torps and sunk 2 in moments.  0 damage to 50 in no time.

Edited by jags_domain

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
583 posts
26,372 battles

Real life happens.  The kids/grandkids have an emergency, the wife calls and her car broke down, the delivery you must sign for arrives 2 hours early, etc.  That's why I never report anybody for being AFK.  The system automatically turns him pink anyway.  Besides, that's one less player going for XP that is rightfully mine.  :cap_rambo:

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
38 minutes ago, Admiral_Andy said:

You can but most people on the game will call a disconnected player AFK

yeah.. and I usuallly do and then verify for myself... heh and often have to retract..  i verify before reporting the player thouugh

[TDRB]
Members
5,395 posts
13,743 battles
1 hour ago, turbo07 said:

I see your frustration. It's 100% understandable. I even remember some victories when one of the players is AFK, but they, of course, are rare.

We have a system for such cases. And it prevents most of such violations currently. Without playing a number of clean battles in Co-op, such violators won't return to Random: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Teamkilling#AFK_and_abandoning_ship

If you find that AFK player somehow does this on purpose, please send such replays to the Support and we'll check if he deserves suspension from the game.
Thank you for your feedback. 

How can you tell a player is purposely AFK or is having a real live situation that pulled him/her away from the game or experiencing an internet related issue?

I think we should remind players the spike in internet usage has caused a few more than normal internet issues.

[IROCZ]
Banned
301 posts
27,194 battles

cry me a river,  it happens, its DC or the spawn time takes 10 minutes,

a better idea would be to play better, 1 AFK does not cost a game by far

9 in a  row,  lolz

Edited by panamaz28

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,533 battles

To piggyback on what @turbo07 said, remember not all of these are AFK'rs. If you look at their guns and they are centerlined, that means they never connected to battle and are probably having technical difficulties. Currently ISPs are having some issues keep up with the serious increase in traffic for them and many have switches and servers down because of this and are currently working on them.

We are in discussion with several companies about this and this is why I mention it. I know it is frustrating, but unfortunately if they are not going AFK, as in driving somewhere and parking (which I have seen recently, and if you see that please submit a ticket with the replay of them doing that, so we can fix that issue) they may not just being going AFK.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
58 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

How can you tell a player is purposely AFK or is having a real live situation that pulled him/her away from the game or experiencing an internet related issue?

I think we should remind players the spike in internet usage has caused a few more than normal internet issues.

it doesn't matter, there is no penalty unless you do it often... if that is happening maybe reconsider playing team games that do not have respawns or allow others to jump in your place...

Members
715 posts

I blue screened as match started yesterday, by the time everything came back up clean the match was over. Totally out of my control and NOT deliberate. I was pink for a couple of games. 1hr ban would be punitive and pointless in this case.

• Cool 1