You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MN_Nice

Captain Training Approaches

22 comments in this topic

[F4E]
Members
240 posts
5,688 battles

This is not a rant or complaint — I am seeking advice and alternatives for how people approach leveling up their ship captains while working your way up various tech trees.

1) How good is “good enough” for captains of ships of a given type at a given tier? 

2) what stratagems do people use other than acquiring a lot of premium ships (as training ships) or getting a lot of captains to 19-points and just earning your way out of this problem?

Do you just pay in XP or doubloons to keep moving that “original” captain up the line and letting him progress until he reaches 19 points?   This would seem to mean that you will rarely, if ever, play those lower-tier ships again.

Do you keep the captain on his ship and start buffing the new captain?  That seems to put you at a significant disadvantage every time you have a recently-acquired ship.

Myself, I hit the brakes on most lines while I buffed the captains —  my Nuremberg captain is a 14-pointer.  For example, I have a 13-point captain on my Fuso (almost a 14-pointer).  I could have acquired the T7 in those lines some time ago.

I find this particularly challenging for DDs since it seems to me that a DD really needs a 14-point captain with Radio Location to be effective at T7 and above and the 14-pointer on my Benson is going to take a LONG time to reach 19-points.  I could buff my lower tier captains and backfill them on the Mayan to move that captain up to the t9 Fletcher when that day come...but that still poses the same problem when it comes time to get the Gearing.  My Skane CO will be at about 12 points when I will be able to acquire the T8 Oland....and then I will face this challenge again when I can get the Ostergotland...

Again, I am not complaining...I am looking for advice or alternate approaches to this problem.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,564 posts
2,358 battles

I tend to move the captain up into the next ship of the line.  If I've got a suitable premium ship, I retrain him in that.  Otherwise I try to use elite captain xp.  Once you've gotten a 19 point captain, it becomes a lot easier.  I think it's something like 200k elite xp to take a zero point captain up to 10?

[TARK]
Members
5,644 posts
2,260 battles

I only advance to the next tier if I have the silver*1.5 for the new ship and a captain with current tier * 2 captain skill points.

So, stay with New York until a 10 point captain before going to New Mexico.

I retrain by playing the new ship...

...because the grind IS the game. If you arent enjoying the grind...why are you playing?

The game doesnt get better at higher tiers...it just gets more toxic and boring.

• Cool 4

[BBMOD]
Members
344 posts
5,646 battles
7 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

Do you just pay in XP or doubloons to keep moving that “original” captain up the line and letting him progress until he reaches 19 points?   This would seem to mean that you will rarely, if ever, play those lower-tier ships again.

This is my typical plan except I don't use doubloons to retrain - just credits and EXP/FXP. I do end up going back and playing some of the ships even at a handicap of low captain points..

Members
4,257 posts
9,274 battles
8 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

This is not a rant or complaint — I am seeking advice and alternatives for how people approach leveling up their ship captains while working your way up various tech trees.

1) How good is “good enough” for captains of ships of a given type at a given tier? 

2) what stratagems do people use other than acquiring a lot of premium ships (as training ships) or getting a lot of captains to 19-points and just earning your way out of this problem?

Do you keep the captain on his ship and start buffing the new captain?  That seems to put you at a significant disadvantage every time you have a recently-acquired ship.

Myself, I hit the brakes on most lines while I buffed the captains —  my Nuremberg captain is a 14-pointer.  For example, I have a 13-point captain on my Fuso (almost a 14-pointer).  I could have acquired the T7 in those lines some time ago.

I find this particularly challenging for DDs since it seems to me that a DD really needs a 14-point captain with Radio Location to be effective at T7 and above and the 14-pointer on my Benson is going to take a LONG time to reach 19-points.  I could buff my lower tier captains and backfill them on the Mayan to move that captain up to the t9 Fletcher when that day come...but that still poses the same problem when it comes time to get the Gearing.  My Skane CO will be at about 12 points when I will be able to acquire the T8 Oland....and then I will face this challenge again when I can get the Ostergotland...

Again, I am not complaining...I am looking for advice or alternate approaches to this problem.

Tiers 1 through 5, I don't mind having a 3-point Commander or even a zero-point Commander (when first getting a ship of those tiers).  Training a Captain doesn't take too long to get to 3 or perhaps even 6 skill points.
Tiers 6 and up?  I'm looking to put a 10-point Commander that I've already trained or have waiting in reserve (premium Commander of some type).

I don't have a 19-point Commander, yet.
I've promoted some Captains to bigger ships.  Others haven't been necessary to move or I didn't feel it was worthwhile to spend the FXP or CXP.  Some simply get re-trained by playing a few games.  It depends upon the amount of experience needed to re-train a Captain to a newly acquired ship.

I spent the past weekend training a Langley Captain from 5 skill points to reach 10 skill points.

Signal Flags and Back-to-School camouflage helped.

[RLGN]
Members
13,748 posts
23,962 battles

Most of my 200+ ships the captain are set. About the only time they get moved around is in/out of premiums.

My Warspite driver has been in that ship since I bought it, (2015/16? don’t remember exactly.)

Some ships didn’t have captains for the most recent x-flake events, so I just put whoever looked good enough in them and ran them in Co-op. Doesn’t matter if they stay or not, I have too many captains anyway. (Haven’t retired a single one since 08/2015 when I started.)

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Tiers 1 through 5, I don't mind having a 3-point Commander or even a zero-point Commander (when first getting a ship of those tiers).  Training a Captain doesn't take too long to get to 3 or perhaps even 6 skill points.
Tiers 6 and up?  I'm looking to put a 10-point Commander that I've already trained or have waiting in reserve (premium Commander of some type).

Vaguely sorta kinda this?

At the same time I do weird things.

I started Colorado with a zero point captain on a dare. He’s up to 13 points now. 50 Randoms, 62% wr, plus however many Co-ops.

Just got Friesland through the tree so I could turn down recruiting a captain. Put my 2 point Gryf driver in it, and have been spamming Co-op games. He’s up to 6 points now.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,679 posts
1 hour ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

...  I think it's something like 200k elite xp to take a zero point captain up to 10?

183,000 per the Wiki ...

CommanderSkillProgression.jpg

Members
4,068 posts
10,082 battles

I used to put a new captain in each ship for at least my first year or two, hence why it took me so long to get my first 19 point captain. More recently I started at least using commander xp to level up a new captain rather than taking a low point commander in (although I was still using new captains for each ship). It wasn’t until probably the end of last year that I really started moving captains up the line with my two new grinds (IJN cruisers with a 19 point Yamamoto and Italian cruisers when I play them with at least a 10 point sansonetti).

Now that I’ve got 9 19 point captains that go between a lot of premium ships and their current tech tree ship I’m always building elite commander xp reserves to be able to immediately retrain a commander for a new ship if it’s one I’m bringing up the line or bumping the current commander up higher.

My typical goal is to have at least a 10 point commander in a ship by mid tiers so I can get CE it IFHE depending on the ship, and by t8 or so I’d ideally want (depending on the ship) a 12-16 point commander (12 for CAs, 14 for CLs, and 14-16 for battleships). In lower tiers, I don’t really care too much if I have a commander with more than a couple points. Of course, this is assuming a random battle ship. If it’s a ship I’m primarily going to play in co-op or ops the points goal is lower (although I’d want to get them up quickly anyway to farm elite xp), and if it’s a ship I’m primarily going to play in competitive I want as high a commander as I can get as early as possible. 

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
4,562 posts
12,786 battles

While there are some exceptions, from T6 up a 10pt commander is considered minimum. A few ships need 14pt or better.

You blow through tiers 1-2-3 so fast I wouldn't waste my doubloons. T4 I would pay the 200,000 credits for half way but T5 & up you're better off going the whole 9 yards go spend the 500 doubloons IMO.

Several of the premiums I have were earned through events or I got from super containers. One was a gift, others were purchased with resources. I have not paid $$$ for all of them.

I have 3 19pt commanders now. I use the same commander on my premium ships where I can. I have 4 T5 & up US DD's which I use a single commander. 3 German premium BB's, again I use the same commander for all 3. I now have 4 T5 & above Russian cruisers, again I switch the same commander between the ships.

This is how I quickened the grind to 19pt commanders. I have several tech tree ships with 14 or more point commanders. They still progress slowly but the elite commander XP I am earning daily does make it much faster than before I had my 19pt commanders.

• Cool 1

Members
351 posts
9,718 battles

I'm a collector, so I have a captain for each of my 178 ships. I try to make sure that all my DD captains have at least a 10-point captain on them. You can get away with less on BBs and some CAs, But I only have one (almost two) 19-point captain that I play every night to build my elite captain reserves. Once I get two 19-pointers I'll be able to generate Elite Captain XP even better. I've got a 10-point captain on my Oland and I'm going to try and finish the EU Captain Campaign before I purchase the Ostergotland and move him from the TIX to the Halland when I reach TX. Always look ahead to what your goals are for ships amounts, determine how many captains you'll need to command them, and then work out a training strategy to meet that goal.

Edited by GambitHG
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,403 posts
7,350 battles
1 hour ago, MN_Nice said:

That's what I did before WG started throwing free premiums at me lol.

What I did with lower-tier ships I wanted to keep, was just start a new captain on the lower-tier ship. I would end up moving multiple captains up at once.

For example, I have a 12-pointer on Konig, a 10-pointer on Bayern, 16 points on Gneisenau, 15 on Bismarck, and 19 on GK. The points don't increase as you go up, just because Konig gets played more then Bayern, and Gneis more than Bismarck.

Basically, I'm ok with a 10-point captain on anything. That gets me the most important skill at each of 1-4 points.

• Cool 1

Members
4,257 posts
9,274 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Most of my 200+ ships the captain are set. About the only time they get moved around is in/out of premiums.

My Warspite driver has been in that ship since I bought it, (2015/16? don’t remember exactly.)

Some ships didn’t have captains for the most recent x-flake events, so I just put whoever looked good enough in them and ran them in Co-op. Doesn’t matter if they stay or not, I have too many captains anyway. (Haven’t retired a single one since 08/2015 when I started.)

Vaguely sorta kinda this?

At the same time I do weird things.

I started Colorado with a zero point captain on a dare. He’s up to 13 points now. 50 Randoms, 62% wr, plus however many Co-ops.

Just got Friesland through the tree so I could turn down recruiting a captain. Put my 2 point Gryf driver in it, and have been spamming Co-op games. He’s up to 6 points now.

:cap_like:

[ARGSY]
Members
18,877 posts
13,133 battles
13 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

Do you keep the captain on his ship and start buffing the new captain?

I start a new captain on the next ship up when the ship I'm moving up FROM is so damn good I could play it all day. The times I haven't stuck to this, I've frequently regretted it. My Fiji captain was my best and my Fiji is my favourite ship, but when Ranked battles loomed in early 2018 and I had a shiny new Edinburgh as my first T8 ship, I moved him into it to be competitive (I dared not go there without Concealment Expert). This was something of a mistake, and although he did good work in the Edinburgh in the permanent campaigns and became my first 19 pointer in it (and the Warspite and Nelson), I suffered badly through inexperience and a T8 MM that always saw T10 in those days.

When the CV Rework gave us a free reassignment opportunity I moved him back to the Fiji, which he should really never have left.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
clarification of meaning
  • Confused 1

[F4E]
Members
118 posts
4,526 battles
13 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

Hi Nice, happy to see some fellow F4E!

Personally I would focus on playing boats and getting up to T10 more so that focusing on Captains.  After T4 or T5, I would transfer my captain from one boat to the next and I always did the 200K credits to half the XP required.  If you get good playing with a sub optimal captain, how good will you be when you have 19 points!  Also, once you get to T10 in a boat you enjoy and get your first 19 point captain, the rest become so much easier.

So I would keeping playing your Benson, and when you get the Fletcher, transfer him over.

Also, when you get to T10, and start playing Clan Battles, it is a tremendous source of captain XP. (I think with a few flags its about 7-8K captain XP a match on average)

[IRNBN]
Members
3,159 posts
8,497 battles

Pick a favorite training ship, preferrably premium, for each/every country. Play the heck out of it, with Commander XP flags if available. Level-up and reassign captain. Rinse & Repeat.

My list of favorites*:

• Massachusetts (US)
  • Mikhail Kutuzov (VMF)
  • Atago (IJN)
  • Scharnhorst (DKM)
  • Dunkerque (MN)
  • Duke of York (RN)

* Ones I enjoy playing and do fairly well in. YMMV.

[FERAL]
Members
86 posts
5,006 battles

I left my 16 pt cpt in my Chappy because I really enjoy that ship.  I chose to grind the Donsky with a 10 pointer because I knew I would likely play Chappy more often.  Now my Donsky cpt is a 14 pointer.  Didn't think I'd ever get that 4th point for concealment expert. 

I moved my other 16 pt cpt from Colorado to NC because of Narai was pulled from rotation.  Glad I did because I just can't play the Colorado well and was never working him to 19 pts because I only play Narai on the weekly rotation. 

I want to just FXP either of my only 16 point captains to 19pts, but I would rather have Alaska instead and use my 1.3 mil FXP for a ship.  Oh the decisions!  :cap_hmm:

Edited by JayRow2018

Beta Testers
1,536 posts
18,860 battles
17 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

I tend to acquire a premium ship of the type the commander will be trained for as there is no penalty for swapping him back and forth....your goal should be to get the first commander to 19 pts and then keep playing him and acquiring elite cpt points to apply to other commanders. Before long you will have 2 - 19 pointers and so on. In you own example you could pick up the Blyskawicha to train your EU DD commanders. WIKI has alot of info.

17 hours ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

I tend to move the captain up into the next ship of the line.  If I've got a suitable premium ship, I retrain him in that.  Otherwise I try to use elite captain xp.  Once you've gotten a 19 point captain, it becomes a lot easier.  I think it's something like 200k elite xp to take a zero point captain up to 10?

Here is a chart.

commander training.JPG

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,369 posts
13,219 battles
19 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

I have always said getting the ship is the easy part, the captains are the real grind.  What is sufficient really depends on the ship, the tier etc.  Typically the higher the tier the higher the captain.  DDs IMO I will not play less than 10 point captains.  I'll use FXP if I have to just to avoid not having CE or AFT when the ship is balanced around needing it.

Do you have any 19 point captains?

If not your first priority IMO is getting one in any nation, and then placing them on a ship you are going to play every time you are on.  This captain will begin to generate elite commander XP that can be used to complete training on a captain that has been moved to a new ship, or to level up a captain just like FXP.  This will normally be done by taking a captain and moving them up the line you are grinding.  Unfortunately each time the captain levels up they become more expensive to retrain, thats where premium ships, or FXP can help.

Make sure you use as much XP bonus signals and camos as possible.  When I went through the first time getting my first 19 point captain it took ages as XP modifiers were far more limited.

Consider playing high XP modes like clan battles or maybe some operations.  When farming XP use all your best camos and signals to boost your XP per game higher.

The good news is once you have a 19 point captain, and with each additional 19 point captain you finish the grind gets easier due to the ECXP that they generate where you can store up.  It gets better.  I dont even know how many I have, but most of my DDs and CAs from T10 to T6 or so has their own individual 19 point captain tailored for the ship.  I crank out a ton of ECXP per month that I use to keep leveling new ones too.

Members
6,347 posts
19,990 battles
20 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

Premium time is the best way, more xp every game you play.

Premiums are the next best way as you can swap one captain into multiple ships. My Kagero captain is interchangeable with 10 ships...Kinda embarrassing actually.

I always moved my captain with me, you can use doubloons or Elite captains xp to fund the moves...no matter how you do it, I never like bringing in a new ship with no captains skills.

The reality is, there is no easy way outside of cash to do it. One takes forever, two gets there in a bit, then they start to multiply ….I now have so many that I have lost track of them and never play most of them. Somewhere just south of 70 total and a bunch more above 15.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,114 posts
10,042 battles
22 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

1. Below T4 I just get a new capt for each ship, you'll be through the ship before you can gain any skills. T4 and up I move the capt to each subsequent ship with few exceptions. 

2. I pay the silver to get it 50% trained. If I have a premium ship of the type I will alternate between it if it is necessary for fully trained. 

I feel that a dd requires 10 points at T6 and up, light cruisers need 10 as well. I'd feel alright bringing a 6pt for a battleship or certain heavy cruisers. 

I only keep ships that I really loved or have a permanent camo for. Over time you stack up free capts from events and such. 

[SOV]
Members
4,443 posts
22 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

Some ship only need a 10 point.  CV can get 10 point and be just fine.

If your going straite up a line then take the cap up.  Pay the 200k silver for half the captain health to make it faster.