You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
paradat

Some new Info on Subs

56 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles

Great Read from Sub_Octavian.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PhilipMolodkovets/20200403/360631/Introducing_Submarines_into_World_of_Warships_How_to_Balance_Fun_Gameplay_Against_Realism.php

This part on anti sub mechanics is very interesting:

We decided to change the mechanics in consideration of the wishes of players who were asking to make charge-dropping a manual process. Not only this, but we also expanded depth charge dropping capabilities to some cruisers that would have historically taken part in anti-submarine operations. Now, ships carrying depth charges are equipped with a Hydrophone that will track a submarine's movement within a pre-determined radius from the ship. The closer the ship is to the submarine, the more frequently all incoming information will be updated. Depth charges will now be dropped manually, but the number of such charges is limited, and reloading them takes time. Thus, players have full control of their weapons and can choose when exactly and how many charges should be dropped. This is also a simulation of hours of anti-submarine maneuvers and operations fitted into the scale of minutes of our battles.

submarines-beta-3_1920x1080.jpeg

Ships that carry catapult-launched aircraft also have specific mechanics to spot submarines. But we've decided to put the destroyer vs. submarine rivalry in the spotlight. If a submarine is detected using the Fighter or Spotting Aircraft consumables, these aircraft start following her, and if the submarine submerges, they circle above the point where she was last spotted

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
34 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Sweet!

I posted this in another thread this weekend as well. Completely missed your thread however. I like your thread better. Maybe it needs a bump. 

Man we churn these pretty fast.

Members
1,374 posts
7,142 battles

Good to hear that they've abandoned the automated depth charges. I guess even WG can't ignore the blindingly obvious forever. Now let's see how long it takes them to figure out that every ship is going to need to have access to depth charges. 

• Cool 1

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,547 posts
16 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Players have been asking for them to be added to the game LOLOLOLOLOL :Smile_facepalm:

Well....yes.  They are not to popular in this forum at the moment, but some players have been asking for subs, since pretty much the beginning of the game.

That's why WG changing their minds from "never" to "yep" was just a big controversy.

• Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

Players have been asking for them to be added to the game LOLOLOLOLOL :Smile_facepalm:

For a very long time. :Smile_great:

[KAG]
Members
211 posts
12,177 battles

13 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Now let's see how long it takes them to figure out that every ship is going to need to have access to depth charges. 

Right....make the whole game counter-play to subs.
Give the new Russian Cruisers Radar, Smoke, DFAA, and Depth Charges.
-Or Trust WG's 1000's of hours of testing data to balance subs among the other 4 ship types.  That's probably worth a bit more than the opinions of players (myself included) who have not tried the new subs.

Let's just chill folks and get hyped

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

Sounds like they're on the right path with ASW. Good to see catapult aircraft are going to be involved. Would be interesting BBs and CAs could give up the fighter for a floatplane with depth charges. Give them some limited ASW capability. Also good to see HE splash works, gives BBs some sort of defense. I'm guess the EU DDs will get uses for those rocket launchers as well.

I still think the homing torpedoes for increased damaged are moronic. It was downright broken in the last test, and it doesn't look to be changed much. I'm willing to bend reality, but Mk 48 ADCAPs are a bit much.

I think however what will make subs sink or swim is how spotting is handled. Both how to spot subs and how subs are spotted. If a sub can just sit under a cap and spot everything in it, not going to work well. But subs need some vision even underwater, otherwise they're almost useless on their own. Interaction with hydro (and radar when surfaced) will also be interesting. Not much has been said there, but I think vision will ultimately decided whether subs are a success.

Another piece is CVs vs SSs. Again, vision is interesting. But you have to give CVs an ASW role. I don't think it's a priority right now as subs will end up in their own game mode at first, but eventually it has to happen.

I'm hesitant about subs. But willing to try them. Some people just hate the very idea. I say give them a chance, if they can work in game, awesome. If not, then there's a problem. And I'll be the first to admit WG's recent trackrecord isn't great. But we have to try. Also, remember they're getting their own mode at first, and WG hasn't even confirmed they'll ever go into Randoms. So lay off the hate until we actually see how they work on the live server.

But they are coming, and soon.

• Cool 3

Members
1,374 posts
7,142 battles
3 minutes ago, Digital_Wind said:

Right....make the whole game counter-play to subs.
Give the new Russian Cruisers Radar, Smoke, DFAA, and Depth Charges.
-Or Trust WG's 1000's of hours of testing data to balance subs among the other 4 ship types.  That's probably worth a bit more than the opinions of players (myself included) who have not tried the new subs.

Let's just chill folks and get hyped

Every ship in the game should have some ability to engage submerged subs yes. Giving depth charges only to DDs and some cruisers would be like giving AA only to cruisers and some BBs.  

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles

If you are playing a sub planning your attack run is going to be a big deal if you want to live to mid game.

[KAG]
Members
211 posts
12,177 battles
5 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Every ship in the game should have some ability to engage submerged subs yes. Giving depth charges only to DDs and some cruisers would be like giving AA only to cruisers and some BBs.  

BBs can shoot the subs just like they can shoot DDs, hell last time I looked the BBs didn't even have to get a direct hit!  1BB shell = 1/3 of Subs health.

But I guess BBs need depthcharges so they can feel like they can actually help fight off submarines...

[DRAH]
Members
462 posts
11,325 battles

If you actually read the article they say the following

We are about to enter test iteration 4, and quite a bit has changed since the original conception of submarines. Only through the testing phases, they have gained traits of a fully-fledged new class with their own unique features.

To me that suggests they feel that they have made real progress and it is time to go back to the test server to see how players like them. I am convinced that the datamined info from the 9.4 client is prep work to make the test client and the release client compatable. There is no way they will release them into the main game at the same time as any other line changes and as 9.4 has 2 big changes in the soviet split and the consumable changes I am sure that at best we will see a new test server for subs and the separate mode in 9.5 or 9.6.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
1 minute ago, Digital_Wind said:

BBs can shoot the subs just like they can shoot DDs, hell last time I looked the BBs didn't even have to get a direct hit!  1BB shell = 1/3 of Subs health.

But I guess BBs need depthcharges so they can feel like they can actually help fight off submarines...

Yep Battleship HE hydroshock was brutal. 

[FML]
Members
4,314 posts
16,490 battles
38 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Have been, actually. They were a major part of this time period and deserve to be in the game. 

Plus, if you hate CVs you should be all for submarines - they are much harder to strike from the air (when submerged), and you can spend the whole game slipping through enemy lines to sink the CV. 

Whats not to like??

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
2 minutes ago, Ellyh said:

If you actually read the article they say the following

To me that suggests they feel that they have made real progress and it is time to go back to the test server to see how players like them. I am convinced that the datamined info from the 9.4 client is prep work to make the test client and the release client compatable. There is no way they will release them into the main game at the same time as any other line changes and as 9.4 has 2 big changes in the soviet split and the consumable changes I am sure that at best we will see a new test server for subs and the separate mode in 9.5 or 9.6.

I am thinking that test 4 may be open beta now, in the form of the separate mode.

As far as timing? No idea could easily be 9.4 we will see.

[KAG]
Members
211 posts
12,177 battles

I'm happy IJN subs won't be released first, that gives them power creep :3
...of course that might also give them all-the-good-gimmicks-are-used-up-already creep like with the Goliath...

But i'm willing to roll those dice

By the way, if you think players hate CV's, wait till those same players start complaining about Subs...AND THEN wait till the I-400's Submarine Aircraft Carriers.  There will be Salt.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
2 minutes ago, Digital_Wind said:

I'm happy IJN subs won't be released first, that gives them power creep :3
...of course that might also give them all-the-good-gimmicks-are-used-up-already creep like with the Goliath...

But i'm willing to roll those dice

By the way, if you think players hate CV's, wait till those same players start complaining about Subs...AND THEN wait till the I-400's Submarine Aircraft Carriers.  There will be Salt.

Very likely that it will be the same group for the most part. I suspect there will be some players that are OK with CV but will hate Subs and vice versa but the bulk of them will be in the who moved my cheese crowd and hate both of them. 

There will also be players that are for them but will not like them and there are players who dislike them now but will warm up to them after they play them.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,087 posts
2,429 battles

Sounds fun can't wait to see the salt subs will generated on forums :Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 1

[NONE]
Members
4,076 posts
12,603 battles

I can just imagine the coming chat text exchanges.

CV player: Sub spotted next to me, come kill it!!!

Every DD ever: Just dodge! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 9

[KAG]
Members
211 posts
12,177 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Very likely that it will be the same group for the most part. I suspect there will be some players that are OK with CV but will hate Subs and vice versa but the bulk of them will be in the who moved my cheese crowd and hate both of them. 

That same group though is probably still okay with magic DDs capable of being invisible at will plus other tom-foolery

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
2 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I can just imagine the coming chat text exchanges.

CV player: Sub spotted next to me, come kill it!!!

Every DD ever: Just dodge! :Smile_teethhappy:

Very likely lol

Reactions GIF

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,111 posts
16,890 battles

Not quite sure why people like self controlled ASW: drive up to a circle and press 'g' is about 1% more engaging than 'drive up to circle'. There's still no real feedback.