You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ocoda

Matching making woes, slaughter-fests

34 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Members
317 posts

I'm curious to see how many people are seeing an increase of slaughter games. i'm mostly on the slaughtered teams but every so often i'm on the slaughtering team and neither is any fun. I'm guessing its mostly cause its like weekend play with everyone home but i'm curious to see how bad its been for everyone else. Currently this week i have had just today 7 losses in a row and calling it quits for the day. their is no challenge on being on either side in a slaughter-fest. in the game below my team killed just 4 ships, and not all my games are like this but a lot of them are pure heart breakers.

World of Warships 4_9_2020 7_36_18 PM.png

Members
133 posts
2,094 battles

Well since last night trying to grind out Russian Cruiser line all my games at tier 4 are 7 on each side with duo CV on each team which is just nuts. I don't know what's going on right now with the matchmaking but its looks pretty busted at the moment.

Edited by Z3r0Fear
  • Cool 1

[DJL]
Members
3,354 posts
19,260 battles

When it starts happening close the game or disconnect for 10-15 minutes and then start it up again.  Sounds nuts but it sometimes works. There's all sorts of crap and algorithms running in the background. Perhaps it resets. Who knows but worth a try. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,320 posts
29,854 battles

This weekend was pretty unlucky. Saturday morning I went 0 - 6 with several soul crushing defeats similar to the one above. Many times the skill gap between teams was hilarious. In a particular match there were two purple divs on one side and only 3 players with a 50% + WR in the other. It was ugly and the one enemy we were able to sink proceeded to go in all chat to mock us. 

Edited by giovybez
  • Cool 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Slaughter's happen for a variety of reasons even when you have good players on your side.

I've had very up and down results but there were plenty of close battles as well over the weekend.

Sometimes take a break and go watch a YouTube video or catch up on something else for a few minutes. The quick break from the game allows the tension to get out of you.

• Boring 1

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
18,008 battles

Yes, stomps are a thing and increasingly so.

The problem is there is no real science to support it. It's based on what people report. And a lot of people are reporting them on an increasing basis.

Cue the individuals who will state they have always been around and have not increased. Yawn.

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles

Since the team details is not shown... Its not clear how the "stomp" was made possible...

Considering its tier X, I am not surprised.

Members
81 posts
11,165 battles

Yea Ive been getting this a ton for the past 2 weeks. Not only have games been total Muppet slaughter but the chat has been beyond toxic to the point where im not even sure I want to keep playing.

The majority of my games go like this.

DD rushes cap and doesnt even consider what may be there or how to get out gets spotted/radared tries to turn around and then dies.

BB Player presses W doesnt stop Charges cap  gets torped and focused down by 5 ships accomplishes basically nothing and salvos AP into well positioned BBs for the 2 min hes alive.

The players that have a clue try to disengage and re-group to maybe try and claw back and salvage game. Heels are nipped the entire time they try to kite away usually get some decent shots before they inevitably succumb to being overwhelmed.

Chat is filled with dead sub 50% players talking like they know what the living players should do and its normally filled with rage blaming.  When you try to explain what they could have done better they rage. Obviously after 6000 battles and a 45% WR you are clearly the problem not them.

Edited by JimmyNumale

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

its the same in all weegee titles atm..  is it covid... no clue...  everyone has a theory...  one thing for sure... server population is up across the board... 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,956 battles

I am seeing more slaughter games, but it's not nessarily because of skills.

What I think is happening is we are seeing some more aggressive play (I can guess a few reasons as to why) which shapes how a match unfolds. There are many times where an aggressive push or scarifice in the first 5-7 mins of the match can change the flow of the battle (in the short and long term.) Sometimes it gets your team blasted because you walked into the lions den, but others it helps get that advantage for your team to roll up a whole flank.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,717 posts
19,688 battles

Lot of new and returning players who are out of sync with the current meta. DD players are sailing into caps and popping smoke not realizing all of the new radar ships are salivating as they approach. When the DD runs for it the CV, that seems to be in every match now, keeps him lit up until he's destroyed. Cruiser players are all spamming HE rounds and not entering caps while BB players that push get set on fire non stop. At least that's what I kept seeing in high tier matches. It's more fun in the lower tiers at the moment. 

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
1,084 posts
18,769 battles

The lock-down due to corona virus has caused a permanent weekend situation. A lot of players that are good and bad have flooded the game. I think the and result are more blowout games.

Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
12 hours ago, Ocoda said:

I'm curious to see how many people are seeing an increase of slaughter games. i'm mostly on the slaughtered teams but every so often i'm on the slaughtering team and neither is any fun. I'm guessing its mostly cause its like weekend play with everyone home but i'm curious to see how bad its been for everyone else. Currently this week i have had just today 7 losses in a row and calling it quits for the day. their is no challenge on being on either side in a slaughter-fest. in the game below my team killed just 4 ships, and not all my games are like this but a lot of them are pure heart breakers.

I noticed it alot at tier X I think it is all this pan euro DDs and thr campaign, plus no one know how to play the objective.

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,963 battles
7 minutes ago, lordholland4293 said:

no one know how to play the objective.

That's part of the problem.  Most of the problem is the game has evolved to punish those who play the objectives.  So it's sending an awful lot of mixed messages.  I'm not surprised at the amount of objective dysfunction on most teams.  

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
685 posts
13,434 battles
13 hours ago, Ocoda said:

i feel your pain. I have nothing but bad luck since this last patch.  From teams that play worse then bots to RNG bending me over in front of the hole team

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,916 battles

Had only 2 close games out of last 12, could have gone either way. Won one, lost one. Lots of stomps one way or the other, mostly getting stomped. Teams are SOMETIMES so bad that they are impossible for one or even 3 players to carry. Had one battle both teams were horrible for the most part was pretty funny. I was in B cap all alone, waiting for another DD to show up. Never did. Went to C cap, same. My team was all milling around spawn, as were most of the enemy except two ships that went to A cap. I had to go north of caps to spot any enemy ships. Kept requesting support, finally a CL moved forward and one BB once they knew there were no enemies around. Spent half the battle well north almost in enemy spawn spamming torps. Battle ended with our team losing 2 ships, enemy 3. Won on points.

My best game of the night was a loss, go figure. My team tried real hard to lose and they succeeded. Just the way things are anymore in random. One thing I did notice was every t5 and t6 game had CVs, t7 none.

[KSE]
Members
96 posts
17,372 battles

Can't get any worse than this. Just had 8 straight blowouts. 

Not going to say It wasn't my fault, I did had bad positioning in some of the matches. Usually able to fix/reverse my mistakes but these matches my goodness... Entire flank dies or is completely empty, afk players (first minute or 3) DDs going in without realizing the bb behind him is not moving, lemming trains... idk...

1036739301_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04.14-11_30_55_00.thumb.png.94ba42cd31df6349d53fc263974d03fa.png

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
11 minutes ago, Spaardacus said:

Can't get any worse than this. Just had 8 straight blowouts. 

Not going to say It wasn't my fault, I did had bad positioning in some of the matches. Usually able to fix/reverse my mistakes but these matches my goodness... Entire flank dies or is completely empty, afk players (first minute or 3) DDs going in without realizing the bb behind him is not moving, lemming trains... idk...

i don't see any blowouts from yer pic how badly 12:0?

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles

Play ships that can control a match SO LONG AS YOU CAN USE THEM.  Outside of CV and arguably just as important is a DD.  So many matches go south because of potatoes in those classes.  Run match making monitor so you know who you can rely on.  If there's a lack of good DDs or DDs in general, I'll run one.  Get tired of seeing the same potatoes fail in CV, I'll take one.  If there's a lot of DDs, a good nimble radar cruiser is the answer.  Without good support from the other classes, a BB is going to least likely succeed. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

There's always been lots of ROFLSTOMPs.  It's due to the "Snowball Effect."  All it takes is 1-2 players from a team to do something stupid that gets them rekt and puts their team in a hard bind.

Example:

6 ships go to one part of the map, encounter 6 ships of the enemy team.  Even fight if all things are equal.

But Green team has 1 terribad player who naturally does something stupid and gets rekt early.  The rest of the players on his team are decent, but that's irrelevant... These "decent" players are now left at 5 ships vs 6 of the enemy group.

The Red group focuses their efforts and kill another Green ship.  Now it's 4 vs 6.

Green group finally kills a Red ship, now 4 vs 5, but they're not looking good.

Reds kill another, now it's 3 vs 5.

Green kills another but loses a ship in the process.  2 vs 4.

The Reds' numbers are too much by this point, Greens die but the Reds lose a ship in the process.  0 vs 3.

With this flank secured, the 3 remaining Reds are free to finish capping and travel the map and hit the remaining Green team who is still heavily engaged with the other group of Reds.  So 3 Red ships shelling, torping them from their flank / rear is the end.  It's hard enough angling, doing bow on tactics, trying to protect your Citadel against the foes you see ahead of you, but it's a completely different thing when something else is shooting at you 90 degrees to your side or some awful angle.

Curbstomp follows.

All set in motion by 1-2 stupid moves, and this happens quite a lot.  This has always happened, even back in 2015, 2016, etc.  If you've played this game a while, you know in the back of your mind this has always happened.  The only reason why it's only now bothering you is it's finally gotten on your nerves after all this time.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

I have been playing for about a year and a half. During the entire time, players have been reporting this phenomenon has been "increasing" but no proof has ever been provided. Shouldn't we have already reached the point of pure one sided battles?

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,963 battles

Two days ago, I would have been right there with you.  Just stomp after stomp.  Day in. Day out.

But today, I've had maybe 7 or 8 of the best battles I've had in a while.  Maybe not best but good enough to watch again.  Mostly in a row with a couple losses/stinkers.

What's doubly baffling.  One of them was Ocean.  We lost but it was a brawl and back and forth and close up to the early late game when we finally lost that critical mass.  But even then a couple all stars made it really close.  I got a little ahead of myself and forgot which map I was on.  Still got almost 3 million potential.

You just never know with this game.  Any given sunday as the saying goes.

Edited by CommodoreKang

[TRU]
Members
778 posts
24,444 battles

This game is definitely streaky.  Some days I can't lose even when I potato early.  Then other days I could have a game like the OP where I can't miss only to look up and see 75% of my team wiped out and swearing about it in chat.  

That is why I am also a bit on the fence about directives and missions. Some players seem to focus just on that and say for a fire ribbon mission, will sit back and just lob HE at battleships the whole game.  I tend to look at these missions as a nice surprise (with small rewards) and still try to win.  

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,963 battles
12 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

This game is definitely streaky.  Some days I can't lose even when I potato early.  Then other days I could have a game like the OP where I can't miss only to look up and see 75% of my team wiped out and swearing about it in chat.  

That is why I am also a bit on the fence about directives and missions. Some players seem to focus just on that and say for a fire ribbon mission, will sit back and just lob HE at battleships the whole game.  I tend to look at these missions as a nice surprise (with small rewards) and still try to win.  

I kind of wish they would avoid those sorts of negative teamplay incentives for the missions.  I know they're probably using it as gate or incentive to invest in fire.   But seems like there could a better way.

[TRU]
Members
778 posts
24,444 battles
16 hours ago, CommodoreKang said:

I kind of wish they would avoid those sorts of negative teamplay incentives for the missions.  I know they're probably using it as gate or incentive to invest in fire.   But seems like there could a better way.

Agreed.  Not good when cruisers are sitting behind BBs lobbing HE the whole game.  Even preferring bigger easier to hit targets versus a higher priority target for the team.