You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Feldo357

USN CL Commander Skills - Operations @ T6-T7 - IFHE

11 comments in this topic

[G-B-U]
Members
88 posts
8,160 battles

So I did a reset on all my commanders when they gave us the option a few weeks back.  So at this point I have lots of nonskilled commanders

I like to play operations and currently one of my few 19pt commanders is in my Dallas, to help me rack up some help for others.  I did give him IFHE, but did not give him Demo Expert, and that is where my question is coming from.

The Dallas is base 12% fire chance and the IFHE bumps my pen to 31mm from base 25mm, but I now only have 6% Fire chance.  In either Aegis or Killer Whale, the only ships I remotely need IFHE for (in my memory, which is questionable) are Konig, Kaiser, Myoko, and Fuso.  The majority of those I only get the bows and aft, as the main deck is still something too strong.  

Question: If my HE would pen, say 16mm bow, without IFHE, it will deal X damage and have 12% base fire chance.  Does that damage actually increase WITH IFHE and fire chance go down, or I can just pen MORE things (up to 31mm) and that helps me deal more damage over time to better armored targets, and my fire chance goes down?

I am thinking that I should not have used IFHE and instead gone Demo for the specific and narrow use that this commander sees regularly (I don't play randoms, and play co-op for the lines I am grinding when I am not running OPs.

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,799 battles

Just shoot HE when you want fires and AP when you need penetration. I reset all of my commanders once, now I don't do anything for the resets, I still have about 200 commanders without the skills set.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,878 posts
24,720 battles

Dallas with IFHE will pen bow/stern, getting you more HE pen damage.

Shooting the side of the bow will net you full pens plus fire chance.

Your ROF with help with fire chance, but DE will boost it enough to not matter.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,585 posts
4,774 battles
2 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

So I did a reset on all my commanders when they gave us the option a few weeks back.  So at this point I have lots of nonskilled commanders

I like to play operations and currently one of my few 19pt commanders is in my Dallas, to help me rack up some help for others.  I did give him IFHE, but did not give him Demo Expert, and that is where my question is coming from.

The Dallas is base 12% fire chance and the IFHE bumps my pen to 31mm from base 25mm, but I now only have 6% Fire chance.  In either Aegis or Killer Whale, the only ships I remotely need IFHE for (in my memory, which is questionable) are Konig, Kaiser, Myoko, and Fuso.  The majority of those I only get the bows and aft, as the main deck is still something too strong.  

Question: If my HE would pen, say 16mm bow, without IFHE, it will deal X damage and have 12% base fire chance.  Does that damage actually increase WITH IFHE and fire chance go down, or I can just pen MORE things (up to 31mm) and that helps me deal more damage over time to better armored targets, and my fire chance goes down?

I am thinking that I should not have used IFHE and instead gone Demo for the specific and narrow use that this commander sees regularly (I don't play randoms, and play co-op for the lines I am grinding when I am not running OPs.

I play mostly Ops when I play.  Without analyzing much, because it makes my brain hurt, I left IFHE on my USN CLs.  They also have DE where there are enough points.  (In Ops, CE isn't all that important.)

Lower fire chance?  Just hit them more often.  And as was suggested above, Dallas has some seriously nasty AP.  Don't neglect to use it. 

[USN]
Members
1,747 posts
21,972 battles
3 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

Thinking about, the only op where you really need IFHE to damage targets is Narai, where some of the ships that spawn in the final wave require IFHE to pen some parts of them (Bertagne, QE, Colorado)

Edited by tfcas119

[WOLF7]
Members
165 posts
3 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

No, the damage stays the same. IFHE simply allows you to get HE pens on thicker armor. For 152 mm guns at T6-7, the extra penetration doesn't give you extra utility except against T6-7 BBs. For 127 mm guns you do get utility even against cruisers since your pen is very poor.

Edited by Baritone4
Correction.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,543 posts
19,684 battles

If I were only ever using those ships for operations, I'd take IFHE; ops are fast-moving affairs where you need the enemy ships dead ASAP; there isn't really the luxury of farming them over time. 

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

No need for IFHE.  See a BB?  Shoot the superstructure, otherwise you should be in a position to farm cruiser citadels.  

If you find yourself spamming HE at BB armor belts or nose in cruisers, you are doing it wrong.

Edited by Rustyhole

[G-B-U]
Members
88 posts
8,160 battles
14 hours ago, iDuckman said:

And as was suggested above, Dallas has some seriously nasty AP.  Don't neglect to use it. 

1 hour ago, Rustyhole said:

No need for IFHE.  See a BB?  Shoot the superstructure, otherwise you should be in a position to farm cruiser citadels.  

If you find yourself spamming HE at BB armor belts or nose in cruisers, you are doing it wrong.

Both of you, yeah I position well and generally get 20+ citadels a game in Aegis with the Dallas, my question is more arising later in the op when the BBS spawn, that I need to fight from a distance and I noticed that my damage output really dropped off because my AP loses enough pen and my HE just in't getting that much damage until I get to shooting at the cruisers at the end.

14 hours ago, Baritone4 said:

No, the damage stays the same. IFHE simply allows you to get HE pens on thicker armor. For 152 mm guns at T6-7, the extra penetration doesn't give you extra utility except against T6-7 BBs. For 127 mm guns you do get utility even against cruisers since your pen is very poor.

15 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

You two, that is what I took away from LWM post.  Narai i usually like to position myself to get broadsides and hit that stuff with AP.  The Colorado and other BBs can shatter some AP rounds, but I aim above the main armor belt anyway.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

[WORX]
Members
14,299 posts
20,867 battles

With 152MM guns of the Dallas... I mean I would not use IFHE, I would change my play style to where if I need fires use HE, if I need PENS on cruisers use AP,  If I shoot at a BB use HE for fires as primary then use AP for the superstructure...

IF when using AP the super structure is over saturated, use HE.

152 MM guns are more dual shell type guns... Now 127MM guns and below, then yeah you may what to get IFHE and pray you dont face ships 2MM spots higher then you in operations.

I dont recommend IFHE for 157MM guns...