You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahjack

Do I have to play same tier to unlock the next one?

9 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
133 battles

Hi everyone,

Do I have to play the same tier to unlock the next one? Like I would rather play with my sweet St. Louis than most cruises.. lol.

[WOLFB]
Members
440 posts
9,052 battles

If by play same tier you mean actually get XP on the next ship on the line to upgrade to the next one, yes and no.

If you're in st Louis, you get XP on the St Louis that you can use to unlock the Phoenix and South Carolina, but you can't use the XP on the St Louis to unlock the modules of the Phoenix and research the Omaha, same goes for the South Carolina.

If you get what i mean.

The work around to this is free XP (FXP), which can be used for anything that requires XP. So say you gain enough free XP using the St. Louis (you gain free xp rather slowly without the use of flags or camo that gives you extra though) you could research the Omaha without ever actually purchasing the Phoenix, but, that would involve also having to research the modules of the Phoenix required to research the Omaha.

You can do this:

St louis XP -> St Louis Modules -> unlock Phoenix/South Carolina to purchase with credits

But not this:

St Louis XP =/= Phoenix XP -> Phoenix modules -> unlock Omaha to purchase with credits

Hopefully my rambling mess was of help to ya lad, but to be straight up, yes you need to play the next ship on the next tier to unlock the subsequent tier ships, unless you use free XP.

Edited by Saidalphon

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts

then why bother grinding the other tiers at all?

you can buy a premium cruiser if you want a shortcut to high tiers...   but you either play the next tier ship or use freexp to skip them...   if you spent a long time playing your StLouis, you could earn enough elite exp which you could then pay real money to convert and skip all the tiers if you wanted....  (will likely take months if not years..)

Members
4 posts
133 battles
4 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

If by play same tier you mean actually get XP on the next ship on the line to upgrade to the next one, yes and no.

If you're in st Louis, you get XP on the St Louis that you can use to unlock the Phoenix, but you can't use the XP in the st Louis to unlock the modules of the phoenix and research the Omaha.

If you get what i mean.

The work around to this is free XP (FXP), which can be used for anything that requires XP. So say you gain enough free XP using the St. Louis (you gain free xp rather slowly without the use of flags or camo that gives you extra though) you could research the Omaha without ever actually purchasing the Phoenix, but, that would involve also having to research the modules of the Phoenix required to research the Omaha.

You can do this:

St louis XP -> St Louis Modules -> unlock Phoenix/South Carolina to purchase with credits

But not this:

St Louis XP =/= Phoenix XP -> Phoenix modules -> unlock Omaha to purchase with credits

Hopefully my rambling mess was of help to ya lad, but to be straight up, yes you need to play the next ship on the next tier to unlock the subsequent tier ships, unless you use free XP.

That was actually helpful to be honest. More detailed than what I found by searching around lol. Right now, I'm at Pensacola, all modules upgraded but not enough to purchase VII New Orleans. Playing with St Louis is far more enjoyable. The only thing I like about Pensacola is its AA Defense. Can't wait to get rid of it :cap_like:

Members
4 posts
133 battles
12 minutes ago, SKurj said:

then why bother grinding the other tiers at all?

you can buy a premium cruiser if you want a shortcut to high tiers...   but you either play the next tier ship or use freexp to skip them...   if you spent a long time playing your StLouis, you could earn enough elite exp which you could then pay real money to convert and skip all the tiers if you wanted....  (will likely take months if not years..)

I don't want to shortcut to high tiers, no. I didn't say I want to, lol. But some cruises are truly not enjoyable to play. That's all.

Edited by Mahjack

[WOLFB]
Members
440 posts
9,052 battles
10 minutes ago, Mahjack said:

That was actually helpful to be honest. More detailed than what I found by searching around lol. Right now, I'm at Pensacola, all modules upgraded but not enough to purchase VII New Orleans. Playing with St Louis is far more enjoyable. The only thing I like about Pensacola is its AA Defense. Can't wait to get rid of it :cap_like:

Pensacola is actually a really punchy cruiser if you get the hang of it, also don't try to rush up the tiers too fast, get used to the feel of things, take your time and have fun.

Pensa excels at smashing people with its 203mm AP, and at T6 those guns are insane, the only thing holding them back is the ridiculous turret traverse and its thin armor, but stacking the turret traverse upgrade and expert marksman on the captain helps considerably, same goes for New Orleans.

Wg has been pushing this thinking that rushing up to high tiers is the only way to play the game but it can't be more wrong, it took me nearly a year before i got my first T10 and by the time I did i had a much higher understanding of the game, rushing up the tiers is only gonna get you frustrated at the mess that is high tier at the moment.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
26 minutes ago, Mahjack said:

i really enjoyed the low tier play and the St Louis when I played it years ago, it was a fun ship.  I am not much for cruiser at the moment have not played them in years so taking baby steps.. playing bb's and cv's now.. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

Unless you have a huge pile of free experience you need to play that ship to get to the next one.

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
1 hour ago, Mahjack said:

Whatever else you do, keep St. Louis. If nothing else, play it in Co-op and bully bots just to unwind at the end of a session.

Pensacola isn’t as bad as you think, and certainly not as bad as it used to be when it was a Tier 7.

Good map awareness, positioning, and her AP can let you bully a lot of the light cruisers, and 203mm HE does wonders towards contributing to the existence failure of destroyers.

As a new player; start learning to shoot at and hit destroyers NOW, it will pay good dividends in the future.

As I like to say; ‘Respect destroyers, but don’t fear them.’