Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BoomBoomBarney

Izmail Upgrades and Tips

9 comments in this topic

[TIRP]
Members
36 posts
3,847 battles

It doesn't appear that the wiki is really filled in for the Russian Battleships recommending upgrades. I didn't see any posts speaking of it either. So what upgrades do you recommend? I just bought the IZMAIL after having some fun in the PYOTR VELIKIY. 

Any general tips on sailing the IZMAIL? I realize after battling in the PYOTR that you need to be very careful of your broadsides. I was surprised how many fires I lit with the PYOTR, but I've read recommendations to stick with AP with IZMAIL unless battling T8 BB's. Thoughts?

I haven't watched any vids yet. I generally read on the ships, but I know it would behoove my game play to watch some good battles, too.

Thanks in advance.

[UN1]
Members
1,067 posts
3,413 battles

Izmail:

• Be even more careful about your broadsides.  That gnarly upper belt can soak pens from practically every angle.
  • Plan your path ahead.  The Izmael is effectively a 1-turret-forward, 3-turret-rear battleship.  It takes a long time for those "rear turrets" to turn around.
  • Those "rear turrets" can fire 32 degrees off the side, which is still very good, so be patient for them to come into proper position.
  • Know that you have very good AA for your tier.
  • Expert/Master Marksman, go!
  • Stick with AP.  You have an accurate 12,600 damage broadside vs destroyers with AP, so the need to toggle back and forth is minimized.  It's kinda like the Montana, but at T6.

The single biggest mistake I see Izmael players make is driving broadside everywhere they go, and that's because of their improper handling of the turret arrangement.  I've dev struck more Izmaels than any other battleship because of this. 

• Cool 1

[TIRP]
Members
36 posts
3,847 battles

Thanks so much for the info! I noticed I could do some good damage with AP on DD's today. I'm really enjoying this ship so far. Cruisers and BB's better not give this thing broadsides, but yeah, I've the learned the hard way in this and the PYOTR that your sides are very squishy.

What about the 4th upgrade slot? Do I want Damage Control, Propulsion, or Steering Gears? 

My captain is 11 pts with Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, and Concealment. What next? Adrenaline rush?

Oh... and what about brawling? I just got schooled by a Queen Elizabeth. I was back-pedaling and she came alongside me and took me down. Fortunately, I damaged her enough that she was sunk by a teammate within 30 seconds, but still I felt like I should have held my own there. I need some tips on brawling with the RU BB's.

[UN1]
Members
1,067 posts
3,413 battles
14 hours ago, BoomBoomBarney said:

Thanks so much for the info! I noticed I could do some good damage with AP on DD's today. I'm really enjoying this ship so far. Cruisers and BB's better not give this thing broadsides, but yeah, I've the learned the hard way in this and the PYOTR that your sides are very squishy.

What about the 4th upgrade slot? Do I want Damage Control, Propulsion, or Steering Gears? 

My captain is 11 pts with Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, and Concealment. What next? Adrenaline rush?

Oh... and what about brawling? I just got schooled by a Queen Elizabeth. I was back-pedaling and she came alongside me and took me down. Fortunately, I damaged her enough that she was sunk by a teammate within 30 seconds, but still I felt like I should have held my own there. I need some tips on brawling with the RU BB's.

Most players are going to run Damage Control in the 4th slot.  It's passive, always working for you, and Russian battleships already have pretty fast rudder shift.

Adrenaline Rush and Fire Prevention would be the next logical choices.  I wouldn't concern yourself on which one to get first.  They're both very powerful skills and you'll get them both eventually.

The thing to understand with Russian battleships is that they're incredibly strong right up until you get into close range, where they become extremely vulnerable, so brawling is to be avoided.  Knife fighting isn't as easy as it looks, but being that your citadel is so high, you have a lot of surface area to minimize any "mistakes" an enemy battleship player might make when unloading an entire broadside into you.  Also, showing HE is another way to uproot a fortified Russian battleship, so British dreadnoughts are always going to be one of your hard counters. 

[WISCO]
Members
7 posts
5,138 battles

The Izmail is very good at kiting and holding strong angles away from other ships. I generally close to 10-12km, then pick my path away from them. With MBM2 and Expert Mark your rear turrets are very manageable for this type of tactic and anything giving you broadside at that range, especially during turns, takes a big amount of damage, even without citadel hits.

Personally I don't see needing any of the T4 skills until you get into T8 on the line so for the moment I have my 12 points in PT and EL, EM and AR, Super and Basic. A good tanky build and is starting to help with HE spam. I will likely go Fire Prevention for my 4 point skill. I find this captain also works well in the T5 Pyotr which I picked up with extra coal. I'm really liking the mid tier of this line so far.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

Just picked up the izmail today.. it's weird... coming from the pyotr.. due to the turret layout, never sailed a ship like this.  Ran a couple coops, damn it hits hard which is nice, but yeah i shared a little too much broadside and nearly paid the price.  In my 2nd match i took out a Myoko out from full health in one salvo, love it!

ok but i am going to have to get used to the run in and turn around to get the guns to bear thing...

brought my capt up from the pyotr, currently 11pts though only using 10, its Vasiliy, running PT, AR, SI, and FP, and as soon as i get my 12th i will go EM.  first i have to finish retraining him for the new ship. I plan on taking him up the line, but for now one to get prepared for ranked 7v7

[GC]
Alpha Tester
812 posts
3,871 battles

The only think about going on the kite with Izmail is that the stern is VERY squishy and will catch citadels if you aren't careful.

--Helms

[ICBM]
Members
739 posts
8,528 battles

I'm eating cits and huge pens from every angle in this thing. Not as fun as Gagnut and Pyotr. Probably my lease favorite T6 BB so far. The guns are nice, when they are pointing the right way, though. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

ok i have a few days in mine... I wish I had EM... the turrets are sooo sloooow and if you don't plan ahead for turret orientation ... well lets just say ... don't do it...   you are always angled off where you want to go.  It can take a lot of hits if you use angles or point straight at them... unless you are being hit by a sinop... or any of the T8's...  and you will get uptiered quiet abit.

Basically the way i play it, i point the bow at my target or just off it to the side i will need to turn to get guns to bear, and then just sort of wiggle... let them fire then small turn to bring rear guns to bear and then swing back to point at the target again.  Has decent speed and AA is pretty decent.  Last game was one of my best 108k dmg and 20 planes shot down, be sure to use priority sector.

The guns rock, especially under 12k, you can really hit them hard if they show a side :cap_rambo:  This one is a keeper...   Wasn't a fan of Pyotr due to slow turrets and the fact when uptiered even cruisers outrange you, but even it hits hard and does the nice grouping at shorter ranges

Sign in to follow this